• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2 railcard queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuna84

Hi all, I am hoping I can get the usual spot on advice from people on here!
Query number 1 : My grandmother will be travelling up to Aberdeen in July, a noble achievement in itself at the age of 89, now she obviously looks old enough but I am guessing she cannot get a discounted fare without a Senior Person's Railcard (debatable if she saves enough on a return journey to Aberdeen)
Query number 2: I myself am travelling on Sunday and my Young Person's railcard is somewhat faded, you can just about make out the expiry date (Jun 11) however some of the other numbers on it are pretty much ineligible. Now I am worrying, if I get a stickler of a guard (East Coast) on Sunday he will say the railcard is invalid and therefore the ticket is too. Whilst the guard on the way down from Scotland did notice the faded card, nothing more was said and I did honestly say that I would be renewing my railcard when I go back to University (I cannot do this whilst at home since I am aged 26 and need a stamp from the university confirming my availability for the card). Now I am debating that to save any hassle whether to upgrade my ticket to the normal Adult price now my query comes, as to the cost of this. Would 1/3 of the ticket price be added to the price that I paid, or the current price of the same ticket (travelling this Sunday). My current ticket cost roughly £46 so I am guessing the upgrade is £23+ possible £10 admin fee, since the ticket is an advance fare) or is this not possible to do and I am just going to have to take my chances on Sunday?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
No pensioners can get reduced cost rail travel nationwide without buying a Seniors Railcard. These aren't free so the ticket office guy and conductor won't let her off for looking old enough like many bus drivers do.

WestCoast

Established Member
The Senior Railcard is not a like a free bus pass, it is a commercial product. It works in the same way to the 16-25 Railcard, just for 60+.

You can order the Senior Railcard with 10% off the price using this link . It's £23.40 instead of the usual price of £26, valid for one year. Instructions are on the website.

CliveJones

RE #2.

If your card is still in date you can simply get it replaced. It may cost £5 which is a lot cheaper than upgrading your AP.

Regarding the AP. No. If you want to get it excessed on the day it will be upgraded to the first available product which would not be an advance. So it will be a lot more than an extra one third.

Established Member
A Faded Station Issued railcard which has become illegible through no fault of the passenger should not cost £5 to replace. If you are quoted this then ask the member of staff to look in "The Manual" as the procedure is documented in there or ask for the station/ticket office manager if applicable.

Last edited:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
RE #2.

If your card is still in date you can simply get it replaced. It may cost £5 which is a lot cheaper than upgrading your AP.

Regarding the AP. No. If you want to get it excessed on the day it will be upgraded to the first available product which would not be an advance. So it will be a lot more than an extra one third.

Depends where you ask...

But anyway, it's much cheaper (should be free) and easier to replace the Railcard, which should be doable at any station (provided that it was bought at a station originally).

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
1) If she is registered blind or uses a wheelchair for her entire journey she *may* be entitled to a discount.

2) Ticket offices can replace faded 'station issued' railcards at no cost, however you will need to complete a form.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
2) Ticket offices can replace faded 'station issued' railcards at no cost, however you will need to complete a form.

Failing that the faded Railcard can be swiped through the Guard's Avantix Machine. This then shows the expiry date on the screen.

cuna84

Many thanks for all the responses, the first query I was pretty certain on myself, just wanted to double check. Regarding the 2nd query, much useful information here, regarding the placing of the railcard, do I need the form used for purchase, because if so I fear I have misplaced it, either at home or at my university address, or can it be done merely using the ticket number on the rail card which is still legible, well the section that says number followed by 5 digits, or by merely using my name and issuing station. If I need the form then as stated above I don't think I can find it, therefore I will be relying on the guard swiping it (though if the magnetic strip is as useless as the ink on the front, that probably won't work either :lol:).

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Many thanks for all the responses, the first query I was pretty certain on myself, just wanted to double check. Regarding the 2nd query, much useful information here, regarding the placing of the railcard, do I need the form used for purchase, because if so I fear I have misplaced it, either at home or at my university address, or can it be done merely using the ticket number on the rail card which is still legible, well the section that says number followed by 5 digits, or by merely using my name and issuing station. If I need the form then as stated above I don't think I can find it, therefore I will be relying on the guard swiping it (though if the magnetic strip is as useless as the ink on the front, that probably won't work either :lol:).

So long as the 5 digits are still legible, a NR station SHOULD issue a replacement without needing the original receipt :)

Mind you, when I wanted to do that at my home station, they insisted on the receipt :roll:

Freddie

Nope, you won't need the original form.

When I did mine, woman gave me a "replacement form" to fill in, and that was that. I believe you only need the receipt if the original railcard is destroyed or lost, so they have proof that you once had one...

RJ

Established Member
A Faded Station Issued railcard which has become illegible through no fault of the passenger should not cost £5 to replace. If you are quoted this then ask the member of staff to look in "The Manual" as the procedure is documented in there or ask for the station/ticket office manager if applicable.

Faded railcards are replaced free of charge (anyone who says otherwise is making it up). The receipt should ideally be produced to verify the expiry date and a Replacement Railcard form will need to be completed too.

Last edited:

Red Dragon

Query number 2: I myself am travelling on Sunday and my Young Person's Railcard is somewhat faded, you can just about make out the expiry date (Jun 11) however some of the other numbers on it are pretty much ineligible.

I recently saw the guard on a Trans Pennine Express take a passenger's Young Person's Railcard, which was very faded, and warm the face of the card over a lighter - all the details re-appeared ! Brilliant !

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I recently saw the guard on a Trans Pennine Express take a passenger's Young Person's Railcard, which was very faded, and warm the face of the card over a lighter - all the details re-appeared ! Brilliant !
It may work but.... Thats not recommended is it?!

:roll:

cuna84

Well, I went to my local London Midland station today, and spoke to the man in the ticket office. He refused point blank to even consider replacing the railcard without any receipt, despite what others have said on this thread (though the official policy may well be that a receipt is required and those who have had it replaced without may have been lucky :D). He did however say in his opinion that the expiry date was just about legible and I shouldn't have any problems on Sunday. I also mentioned what kvwr45 had posted regarding the possible swiping of the railcard on the guard's avantix machine, to which the ticket office man said no no that's not possible (this may well be true, I am only going on what has been said here), so I may have to bring a lighter with me for the guard :lol:. The short of the story is I shall have to take my chances on Sunday, though I will attempt at Euston to get it replaced before I venture over to Kings Cross, though they may well say the same thing regarding a lack of a receipt.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well, I went to my local London Midland station today, and spoke to the man in the ticket office. He refused point blank to even consider replacing the railcard without any receipt, despite what others have said on this thread (though the official policy may well be that a receipt is required and those who have had it replaced without may have been lucky :D). He did however say in his opinion that the expiry date was just about legible and I shouldn't have any problems on Sunday. I also mentioned what kvwr45 had posted regarding the possible swiping of the railcard on the guard's avantix machine, to which the ticket office man said no no that's not possible (this may well be true, I am only going on what has been said here), so I may have to bring a lighter with me for the guard :lol:. The short of the story is I shall have to take my chances on Sunday, though I will attempt at Euston to get it replaced before I venture over to Kings Cross, though they may well say the same thing regarding a lack of a receipt.

Sounds like the Bedford ticket office staff member I spoke to :P

kwvr45 is right about Avantix being able to swipe the railcard though, have had it done myself in a similar situation!

(I cant find any official documentation stating whether or not the receipt is definitely required, so can't comment on that part of it :) )

RJ

Established Member

The lighter thing only needs to be done once. The ticket can indeed be swiped in an Avantix machine.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
If the Railcard is completely faded, the receipt or (if applicable) a credit card statement/receipt can be asked for to identify the expiry date, if neither are available the expiry date should be by mutual consent. There are no guidelines where the date is still legible AFAIK.

The receipt is only required where the Railcard has been lost or stolen.

Flamingo

Established Member
A lot of booking offices will swipe the YP card to confirm the date, then write and stamp the back of the card to confirm it.

barrykas

Established Member
A lot of booking offices will swipe the YP card to confirm the date, then write and stamp the back of the card to confirm it.
Whilst they may do that (and I've seen plenty of Railcards that have been "validated" in that way), doing so technically invalidates the Railcard in question, as per Condition 9 of the Railcard Terms and Conditions (refers to the 16-25 Railcard, other Railcards may have a different number).

Interestingly, the online version of the conditions specifies a £5 charge for replacing a lost or damaged Railcard, and that you DO need the Receipt part to get a replacement...

Cheers,

Barry

Flamingo

Established Member
Whilst they may do that (and I've seen plenty of Railcards that have been "validated" in that way), doing so technically invalidates the Railcard in question, as per Condition 9 of the Railcard Terms and Conditions (refers to the 16-25 Railcard, other Railcards may have a different number).

Interestingly, the online version of the conditions specifies a £5 charge for replacing a lost or damaged Railcard, and that you DO need the Receipt part to get a replacement...

Cheers,

Barry
Oh, OK :D

barrykas

Established Member
Having looked at a paper application form earlier, that includes the same condition...Not that we ever enforce it for a replacement for a faded Railcard, providing we can work out the expiry date.

Cheers,

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.