• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2017 Railway Related Goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCreed

Hopefully no-one has started any similar threads (I did have a quick search).

The question is, what railway related goals do you have for 2017?

I'd like to achieve the following, some of which I started last year:

- Clear GWR's fleet. (Mainly requires the 165/166/387s now).
- Travel on the entire GWR network. (Not a lot left to do, only Hereford, the Thames branches and Banbury).
- Clear ATW's fleet. (Bit more of a challenge, as I've only been on half a dozen units.
- Travel on the entire ATW network. (Mainly the Cardiff Valleys and North Wales to do).
- Travel 36,000 miles. (Beating last years mileage).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
To be on the first electric public train to leave Bolton.

Oh, sorry, you said 2017....

backontrack

Established Member
-Tackle some major new track (like Didcot-Swansea, Reading-Plymouth or Rugby-Pwllheli)
-Clear the full Cumbrian Coast (and possibly the 'Little' NWR between Lancaster and Long Preston)
-Scratch some new shacks (like Edinburgh Gateway)
-Beat my previous mileage record
-POSSIBLY start on a new TOC (most likely London Midland, but also maybe EMT or the Caledonian Sleeper, or Overground)

Established Member
Mine are:

- Clear as many of Merseyrail's stations as I can, seeing as I cleared the fleet last month. As a spin-off of this, I'm hoping to visit as many stations inside the Merseyside PTE boundary as I can in 2017 too.
- Clear Northern's fleet for haulage.
- Clear the Class 185s for haulage.
- Seeing as I'm due to become a father in three weeks, I've set myself a relatively low mileage target of 15,000 for 2017, because I doubt I'll be doing anywhere near as much as I have this year, especially for the first few months. Last year's total was way beyond what I expected (with a bit more to add to get my final total), but I can't see myself hitting that level of mileage again for a good while.

I can't think of any more at the moment, although I don't want to be too ambitious!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Finally getting round to doing the Cumbrian 37s... covering some landmark (for me) new territory (i.e North of the Central Belt/West of Cardiff/West of Teignmouth/East of the ECML)... Can't really think of any others off the top of my head though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
- Visit the Bowes & Tanfield Railways (I have a plan to cycle to & between them, and have had this plan for years and not got round to it)
- Explore more disused lines (the amount of effort gone into creating many of them was immense and they are worth exploring even if you can't do so by train any more)
- Do at least one or more trips abroad with other forum members
- Visit at least two more 'new' (to me) heritage railways, other than those listed above, including the South Tynedale Railway

I can't aim to explore any more of the National Rail network as, other than 'freight only' lines or lines not normally shown as having services (e.g. Leeds to Selby via Castleford, which is only really a couple of curves for me), I've done it all.

Kite159

Veteran Member
You need Leeds to Selby via Castleford?

1926 Manchester Piccadilly to Hull, 20:20 from Leeds is booked that way, you can escape to Doncaster from Selby or there is one last Manchester train (shame it just misses the last direct York) ;)

(Unless I've misread your post)

Alex 2901

Clear London Midland (bar 319s) for haulage. Down to 64 units needed now, bar 319s:
1 150 (107), 2 153s (354, 366), 4 172/2s (12, 20, 21, 22), 4 172/3s (31, 34, 40, 44), 10 323s (204, 205, 206, 207, 208, 211, 213, 220, 222, 242) & 44 350's...

Lrd

Established Member
I'm going to attempt Geoff Marshalls (from Londonist) suggestion of visiting every 270 LU stations this year. (From this video at the 4 minute mark)

And try and leave the country as much as possible.

Last edited:

- Attempt another 8000 or so miles on 37s alone this year. All being well I've already got enough railtours booked to guarantee (touch wood) 3000 miles ish. At least 12 days out to the Cumbrian coast this year should help.
- Got 40,000 miles in 2016. Don't think I'll beat that but at least 30,000 would be nice.

Not too fussed about unit bashing and all that but the odd trip out is always different. Starting in a fortnight with a trip to the smoke

sprinterguy

Established Member
Visit a diesel gala, as I like to do a couple of times a decade.
Finally get round to taking a look at the East Lancashire Railway, now that I live somewhat more locally.

I rather suspect that I'll be able to combine these two aims in around six weeks time.

And schedule in at least one more trip in the next 12 months on the Cumbrian Coast 37s, which should be easily achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.