• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2020 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhoon

Established Member
Indeed. Some on the Left (not including Biden) want to defund the police which, despite the scary sounding name, simply means taking much of the money that currently goes to the police departments and reallocating it to other services. As an example, New York spends more on Policing than it does on education, skills training, mental health services and drug rehab combined. The idea behind defunding the police is that spending more money on crime prevention means that they save a lot more money that's currently spent on crime fighting.
The Democrats really ought to have found a more neutral name for the policy (especially those, like Biden, who don't support it). I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't gain Trump votes among the confused.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
The Democrats really ought to have found a more neutral name for the policy (especially those, like Biden, who don't support it). I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't gain Trump votes among the confused.
Sometimes, a name takes off before you have time to 'brand' it...

coronavirus_name.png

(Image is XKCD #2275)

Typhoon

Established Member
Sometimes, a name takes off before you have time to 'brand' it...

coronavirus_name.png

(Image is XKCD #2275)
Good point. But I don't really think they have tried. Trump has not been completely unsuccessful with 'China Virus'.

Cartoon is good - maybe some form of illustration might be effective? Anything because 'defund the police' appears to be pretty toxic for the Democrats.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
The Defund the Police movement wasn't started by the Democrat Party so they don't really have that much power to control the naming.

Is the name 'defund the police' actually particularly toxic in the US anyway? Obviously, to UK ears, the phrase sounds pretty dreadful, but my understanding from some reading around was that it had different connotations in the USA more consistent with its actual meaning of diverting resources to things that stop people being inclined to commit crimes.

najaB

Veteran Member
Is the name 'defund the police' actually particularly toxic in the US anyway? Obviously, to UK ears, it sounds pretty dreadful, but my understanding from some reading around was that it had different connotations in the USA more consistent with its actual meaning of diverting resources to things that stop people being inclined to commit crimes.
It very much depends which side of the ideological divide you stand on. As @SouthEastBuses comment referencing Trump's claim in the debate shows, for many on the right (or who listen to those on the right) it means nothing less than the very end of civilisation and descent into mob-rule.

Coincidentally, US gun sales are up this year.

Scotrail12

Just seeing on Twitter that ACB is set to be confirmed as RBG's successor.

Why on earth would a first world country allow such idiots to have power? As a gay person, this freaks me out.

No more USA for me I guess.

najaB

Veteran Member
No more USA for me I guess.
As a black person, I came to that conclusion a while ago.

There are exactly two reasons now why I will go to the USA: if I'm required to by my employer, or to visit my best friend of 30 years. Other than that, nope.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I'm new to this topic, but my opinion is as follows - Trump and Biden are both useless.

It's like choosing between dum and dummer! :rolleyes:

Trump's hasn't got the best track record in government, but I'd rather that than Biden who seems to be losing his marbles and seems like he's being used as a puppet.

Biden is so old he probably won't make it through the term, then the plan would be to put some dodgy random in as his replacement.

Scotrail12

As a black person, I came to that conclusion a while ago.

Sorry. :( Sucks for anyone of a minority.

ACB just goes against everything I believe in so it's a mega no to entering the States for as long as she & Trump have any power (I don't judge one on their religion but I do view those who use their religion to dictate other people's lives to be the lowest of the low).

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Sucks for anyone of a minority.

ACB just goes against everything I believe in so it's a mega no to entering the States for as long as she & Trump have any power.
To be honest, Trump or Biden I think would be awful for everybody regardless of their background to be fair, but I suppose it would be even worse for minorities.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'm new to this topic, but my opinion is as follows - Trump and Biden are both useless.

It's like choosing between dum and dummer! :rolleyes:

Trump's hasn't got the best track record in government, but I'd rather that than Biden who seems to be losing his marbles and seems like he's being used as a puppet.

Biden is so old he probably won't make it through the term, then the plan would be to put some dodgy random in as his replacement.
Biden is only four years older than Trump and probably in better health given his diet and weight. You don't appear to be aware that the Americans also elect a vice president, so there is a named individual ready to take over not some "dodgy random" as you claim. Biden's is Kamala Harris, 55 and from what I can see has one of the sharpest minds on the block. Trump's is Mike Pence, something of a non-entity probably best known for his religious and political views that put him well to the right of Trump.

The important thing in a position of leadership is to have good people around you. However good you are you can't do everything so there is a need to delegate. That's how Reagan was president for eight years despite probably having early stage Alzheimers. Trump surrounds himself with yes-men then fires them when they disagree with him or they can't deliver his impossible desires.

I really don't see how you can equate the two. Even if Biden is suffering the effects of age (and I'm not saying he is) it's like having the choice at Christmas between a visit from an uncle who's a bit doddery but good-hearted, and the racist sexist one that's always spouting conspiracy theories.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
As am I. But I've found it useful to educate myself a little about things before proffering opinions on them.

Perhaps it would be instructive to take a look at the Presidential line of succession to see what would actually happen if Joe Biden was unable to complete his term.

Fair enough, noted.

But from what I know and have seen of them both, I think both are unsuitable candidates.

Americans also elect a vice president, so there is a named individual ready to take over not some "dodgy random" as you claim. Biden's is Kamala Harris, 55 and from what I can see has one of the sharpest minds on the block.
Kamala sounds more like the sort of person who should be running for president, someone who is not really old and someone who is sharp. That's what the USA needs, not some old geezers in the form of Trump and Biden.

najaB

Veteran Member
But from what I know and have seen of them both, I think both are unsuitable candidates.
I agree that Biden is far from the perfect candidate, but the Democratic party made the judgement that he was the most likely to be able to win the election.

nlogax

Established Member

Please do explain why you think Biden is losing his marbles?

Biden is no savior-to-be of the US, but I believe he is the Democrats' best hope for beating Trump and removing the toxic air of madness and lies that surrounds the White House. Regardless, whatever happens next week, I hope for better Democrat candidates in coming years. Kamala Harris looks to be cream of their future crop for sure.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Please do explain why you think Biden is losing his marbles?

Biden is no savior-to-be of the US, but I believe he is the Democrats' best hope for beating Trump and removing the toxic air of madness and lies that surrounds the White House. Regardless, whatever happens next week, I hope for better Democrat candidates in coming years. Kamala Harris looks to be cream of their future crop for sure.
When he's talking, he just seems weak and like he may just give up and 'go' at any moment. :rolleyes:

We all need to remember where national tracking polls were nine days before the 2016 election. The NY Times index was what I was glued to.

View attachment 85052

Pollsters have changed their models to take into account what happened then, but until Biden physically has his hands on an inauguration bible I refuse to take anything for granted. Anyone doing otherwise is foolish.
He's an old man.. that's just how many old men sound. Doesn't mean he's about to keel over. He also doesn't have Trump's unique sense of incoherent, nonsensical waffle.
But he does look as though he's about ready for sheltered accommodation, where as Trump does look quite lively for a man of his age if nothing else, which gives me the nagging fear that Trump will pull it off. As much as I dislike Trump's policies if you ignore the policies like in a way of turning up for a job interview even I would probably pick Trump over Biden.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
But he does look as though he's about ready for sheltered accommodation, where as Trump does look quite lively for a man of his age if nothing else, which gives me the nagging fear that Trump will pull it off. As much as I dislike Trump's policies if you ignore the policies like in a way of turning up for a job interview even I would probably pick Trump over Biden.
He certainly does.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don’t know about anyone else but over this last few years I wouldn’t even bet a pint of beer on what the likely outcome will be.
Head says Biden, polls say Biden, political analysts say Biden (generally). But I’m just not at all sure to be honest.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
When he's talking, he just seems weak and like he may just give up and 'go' at any moment. :rolleyes:

Seems a bit of a shallow way of picking someone. You don't want them because they seem weak when talking - so you're ignoring anything about their personality or beliefs, right?

Personally I'd rather go by their beliefs, record and actions. And on that score, well, it's a no-brainer.... Trump routinely spouts silly conspiracy theories where Biden normally seems to follow the science and the evidence. Trump has said and done numerous things that suggest he is a racist, whereas Biden on the whole hasn't. Trump routinely lies (as revealed for example by regular fact-checks of his interviews and Twitter feed) where Biden routinely seems to tell the truth. Trump has spent 4 years leading the most chaotic and clearly incompetent presidency in living memory, where Biden was previously vice-president in an administration that wasn't perfect but seemed pretty competent and professionally run. Trump routinely speaks words of hatred, seeks to provoke violence against opponents, and generally shows complete contempt for democratic traditions, where Biden appears to totally respect democratic principles.

But hey, dismiss them both as if they were equally bad, just because Biden doesn't come across as strong enough when he speaks? o_O:!:

More alphabet soup. Who or what is ACB? :)
The US Senate has confirmed Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court in a victory for President Donald Trump a week before the presidential election.
Mr Trump's fellow Republicans voted 52-48 to approve the judge, overcoming the unified opposition of Democrats.
Her appointment seals for the foreseeable future a 6-3 conservative majority on the top US judicial body.

Amy Coney Barrett, and it looks as if she's already been sworn in
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54700307

Last edited by a moderator:

Domh245

Established Member
And great news ACB just confirmed by Senate. I bet 1000 dollars she will be sworn in within the next 48 hours.

Great news that your party lost the last veneer of respectability to many and confirmed itself as one of rank hypocrisy?

Status
Not open for further replies.