• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2024 Fare Revision

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Is Hatton to Lapworth still the cheapest gold card season ticket? Looks like it’s now £204 which beats the few other Ryde & Lichfield possibilities of past years.
Certainly looks that way. The Newhavens and Pevenseys are next cheapest at £208.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

miklcct

On Moderation
One of the tickets I have used has been reduced in price. It is a through ticket to outside the National Rail network. I believe there are some mispricing so I'm not disclosing it publicly.

MikeWM

Established Member
Is Hatton to Lapworth still the cheapest gold card season ticket? Looks like it’s now £204 which beats the few other Ryde & Lichfield possibilities of past years.

£212 for Lichfield (which I need to renew next week :-/ - still well worthwhile though).

Jimini

Established Member
It looks like Avanti standard premium upgrade prices have gone up.

For example, Crewe to Euston is now £30. Previously £25

Just had a look here -- think it's gone up to £17.50 between Birmingham and Euston (was £15) :(

SWT_USER

Certainly looks that way. The Newhavens and Pevenseys are next cheapest at £208.
Can you add the gold card discount to an oyster card for a non London season ticket?

Trying to work out if it's worth paying the extra for a gold card over a Network Railcard. Apologies for the off topic question.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Can you add the gold card discount to an oyster card for a non London season ticket?

Trying to work out if it's worth paying the extra for a gold card over a Network Railcard. Apologies for the off topic question.
Yes you can, as long as the season ticket is issued as a Gold Card.

I've got a Hatton to Lapworth season ticket and have had the discount applied to my PAYG Oyster card for cheaper off-peak travel in the London area.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yes you can, as long as the season ticket is issued as a Gold Card.

I've got a Hatton to Lapworth season ticket and have had the discount applied to my PAYG Oyster card for cheaper off-peak travel in the London area.
This past year I have not made enough under £13 journeys to justify a goldcard, were it not for me to have some SWT free weekend tickets left. Using one of those amd travelling all day will cover the difference.

I guess if I lived in London or near the wider Goldcard area it would do.

Every year prices go up they get closer to £13, reducing the savings. Most journeys I make are over £13 even with a discount.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This past year I have not made enough under £13 journeys to justify a goldcard, were it not for me to have some SWT free weekend tickets left. Using one of those amd travelling all day will cover the difference.

I guess if I lived in London or near the wider Goldcard area it would do.

Every year prices go up they get closer to £13, reducing the savings. Most journeys I make are over £13 even with a discount.
The Gold Card has a number of advantages over the Network Railcard but clearly it won't be worthwhile for everyone given that the cheapest Gold Card has now hit £200.

- The Gold Card covers a much larger area than the Network Railcard. It includes East Anglia and a large part of the Midlands (as far as Stafford on the WCML)
- There is no minimum discounted fare on weekdays
- Gold Card discount is available from 09:30 on weekdays compared to 10:00 with the Network Railcard
- Discounts on First Class travel can be obtained with a Gold Card
- Gold Card discount can be loaded to an Oyster PAYG card to obtain discount on off-peak travel

Gold Card discounted tickets cannot be used on Avanti or LNER services or CrossCountry services north of Banbury.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I had a nasty shock recently when buying my day return from Bingley to Lancaster with a railcard.

This was previously around £14.50 but has now been hiked to over £18. That's just under 20% increase !

Clearly the Governments intention is to sabotage the railway system.

janb

I had a nasty shock recently when buying my day return from Bingley to Lancaster with a railcard.

This was previously around £14.50 but has now been hiked to over £18. That's just under 20% increase !

Clearly the Governments intention is to sabotage the railway system.

Sounds like you are mixing up the Anytime Day Return and Off Peak Day Return.

(Non railcard prices)
Anytime increased from £26.10 to £27.40
Off Peak increased from £21.90 to £23.00

So with a railcard it is £18.05 Anytime or £15.15 Off Peak.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Sounds like you are mixing up the Anytime Day Return and Off Peak Day Return.

(Non railcard prices)
Anytime increased from £26.10 to £27.40
Off Peak increased from £21.90 to £23.00

So with a railcard it is £18.05 Anytime or £15.15 Off Peak.

Oh b****r, That'll be it.

Senility beckons for me.