• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2024 Intercity Charters

Just popped up on the website, 13th of Jan Crewe to Glasgow/Ayr with either a 86 or 87, and 10th Feb Kings Cross to Skipton & Bradford using class 90 prices for either £99 First class non dining

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The tour to Ayr obviously has to go via Glasgow Central, it would be nice if it went via Wishaw one way not that the website doesn't show anything to that detail, I really fhink LSL are missing a trick here they could do a tour using one of their AC fleet going via Manchester Airport and or up through Salford crescent,Bolton and Horwich I'm sure that would get bums on seats instead of just tramping up th WCML again

Iskra

Established Member
The tour to Ayr obviously has to go via Glasgow Central, it would be nice if it went via Wishaw one way not that the website doesn't show anything to that detail, I really fhink LSL are missing a trick here they could do a tour using one of their AC fleet going via Manchester Airport and or up through Salford crescent,Bolton and Horwich I'm sure that would get bums on seats instead of just tramping up th WCML again
The tour last year with the 87 did do Wishaw in one direction which wasn’t initially advertised, so you’d think they may be interested in retaining that bit of route knowledge and therefore likely to cover it again.

The route is still scenic with Shap and Beattock covered and the WCML is the original/classic route for AC electrics so you’d have people complaining if they deviated and it would also reduce time at the destinations which is important for some.

The tour last year with the 87 did do Wishaw in one direction which wasn’t initially advertised, so you’d think they may be interested in retaining that bit of route knowledge and therefore likely to cover it again.

The route is still scenic with Shap and Beattock covered and the WCML is the original/classic route for AC electrics so you’d have people complaining if they deviated and it would also reduce time at the destinations which is important for some.
Well yeah its the same with the 90 tour to the west riding in February, it could easily go via Hertford nth one way,which although with a 90 isn't unheard of it would add interest and as you say it might do it the same as the Wishaw thing last year but if they don't say it that's of no use to anyone

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Not necessarily; they could use the Larkfield Jn-Terminus Jn-Shields Jn avoiding line. Would be some fairly rare track (certainly no passenger service), although it was done by an LSL tour to Stranraer last year or the year before.

How long does it take for these to sell out typically?
I'm interested on the one from Euston but need to save up a little first

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Pity there are no overnighters in Inverness this coming year.
They've posted two tours in what is basically off-season, one in Jan and one in Feb.

I think something is likely to fill the other 10 months ;)

And like you, I'm hoping for a rerun to Inverness.

Iskra

Established Member
How long does it take for these to sell out typically?
I'm interested on the one from Euston but need to save up a little first
It’s low season for tours and when I rode the Class 87 to Glasgow it did not actually fully sell out I believe. Some people may also wait until exact routes are in real time trains before buying. I don’t think these will sell out fast, but may do so eventually.

Do you think there will be more? Hope so. Have done Intercity and Staesman to Edinburgh - both fantastic breaks.
I'm sure there will be more in time,obviously there's 55022 that apparently did its last Glasgow trip without any issues and there's 45118 lurking in the shadows (which is the one I'm properly looking forward to) for the money £99 first class is a bargain
Again thinking about the two already advertised the West Riding tour with the 90, imagine if that was the 86 or 87, both reasonably rare up the ECML and although I can remember a 86 working a charter up to Leeds and then a diesel over the S&C and I genuinely can't ever remember a 87 up there let alone the branches, but a 90 was relatively common reasonably recently. It may be that whoever wrote the specs for the tour doesn't really understand what attracts modern era cranks

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'm sure there will be more in time,obviously there's 55022 that apparently did its last Glasgow trip without any issues and there's 45118 lurking in the shadows (which is the one I'm properly looking forward to) for the money £99 first class is a bargain
Again thinking about the two already advertised the West Riding tour with the 90, imagine if that was the 86 or 87, both reasonably rare up the ECML and although I can remember a 86 working a charter up to Leeds and then a diesel over the S&C and I genuinely can't ever remember a 87 up there let alone the branches, but a 90 was relatively common reasonably recently. It may be that whoever wrote the specs for the tour doesn't really understand what attracts modern era cranks
It might get some interest for a class 90 to Skipton & Bradford Forster Square, which probably is quite rare for the class.

Established Member
It’s low season for tours and when I rode the Class 87 to Glasgow it did not actually fully sell out I believe. Some people may also wait until exact routes are in real time trains before buying. I don’t think these will sell out fast, but may do so eventually.
Even less likely to sell as top and tail , very few 87 cranks will do the 86 back and v/v… Presumably they are hedging bets on enough generalists booking to not cape it

Iskra

Established Member
Even less likely to sell as top and tail , very few 87 cranks will do the 86 back and v/v… Presumably they are hedging bets on enough generalists booking to not cape it
Two locomotives should have twice the appeal though? It’s a bit of a risk having two AC tours in a short space of time at a skint/quiet time of year as that further dilutes the custom, although they do have different pick up points.

I think the trouble with filling the Ayr tour might be the fact the last time I did a tour with Ayr as the destination the loco hauling was 87002 no less on the Spitfire tour on the way back it did a trundle around the Hamilton loop with a 47 to turn the stock but that was of course on a rake with no DVT so they won't have to bother with that this time. I'll put it this way if the Yorkshire tour had a 86 od 87 I would have booked it about 8am yesterday but £99 for about 20ish miles of rare for class miles im afraid I'm just going to sit on my hands and await developments

Rhysdabeast

Established Member
D213 should be working a tour from Crewe to Inverness on Saturday 24th February 2024 and then return the next day. Yet to be announced but should be up on the website in due course.

D213 should be working a tour from Crewe to Inverness on Saturday 24th February 2024 and then return the next day. Yet to be announced but should be up on the website in due course.
As stated above now live on the site and open for bookings up Sat returning Sun £159 first non dining, up via Stirling Perth and Aviemore return via Elgin Dundee and forth Bridge, Nice tour IMO

Iskra

Established Member
As stated above now live on the site and open for bookings up Sat returning Sun £159 first non dining, up via Stirling Perth and Aviemore return via Elgin Dundee and forth Bridge, Nice tour IMO
It does indeed look a good one :)

For the money uts a bargain only £30 more than a chingfinder day tour standard class,if anyone is thinking about this sort your accommodation first,don't forget there's a witherspoon Hotel in Inverness as well as travelodge and premier inn

Iskra

Established Member
For the money uts a bargain only £30 more than a chingfinder day tour standard class,if anyone is thinking about this sort your accommodation first,don't forget there's a witherspoon Hotel in Inverness as well as travelodge and premier inn
Don’t expect a quiet nights sleep in the Wetherspoons there. Premier Inn a much better proposition.

Kite159

Veteran Member
And remember to book anything which has free cancellation (or at the very least free date changes). Just in case the tour gets pulled for various reasons

Just thought the 40 tour to Inverness does the rare ish curve heading West after the forth bridge than goes through Mossend yd if that's your thing

Masboroughlad

Established Member
How much dining accommodation do you think there will be? Does the Intercity set have a kitchen car, will it 'borrow' one or do you think it will be a different LSL set, marketed under INTERCITY?

Last edited:

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I'll be honest, I don't get why the Thirsk - Aviemore Midland Pullman HST one (would join at Newcastle probably) couldn't go to Inverness as that's only about 30 minutes away and could easily return a little later.

As it is, some if not all railtours only give you about 2-3 hours break.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
How much dining accommodation do you think there will be? Does the Intercity set have a kitchen car, will it 'borrow' one or do you think it will be a different LSL set, marketed under INTERCITY?
A Mark 3 restaurant coach went to Eastleigh this week. Some have speculated that is for refurbishment / repainting.

richa2002

Established Member
I'll be honest, I don't get why the Thirsk - Aviemore Midland Pullman HST one (would join at Newcastle probably) couldn't go to Inverness as that's only about 30 minutes away and could easily return a little later.

As it is, some if not all railtours only give you about 2-3 hours break.
They could quite likely be using the Strathspey Railway for servicing.