• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2024 Local, Mayoral and PCC Elections

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A Tory Wipeout looks a certainty at the next election if the pattern of the locals continue.

Sunak has to go. I would say he is less popular than Thatcher was to most ordinary folk.

No he has to stay! :lol:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Not even slightly and yet it was happily accepted. I of course had a proper ID on me but never got as far as getting it out of my pocket.

Haha! So basically, at least one election worker either didn't understand the (stupidly complex) list of what IDs are and aren't acceptable or didn't particularly care. That doesn't speak well for the photo-ID requirement that was supposedly going to make the system more robust :D

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Perhaps this is a case where local factors come into play: Harlow council are possibly doing a fairly good job in the eyes of many people
Don't forget the London ULEZ effect either, just because Harlow is in Essex. Councils bordering Greater London will have residents with non-compliant cars and vans who now have to pay £12.50 per day to cross that border, and it could well be a factor for some who might otherwise vote Labour even though they can't send a message directly to Sadiq Khan. If Dartford in Kent had elections (I'm not sure they do this time) I think some of the locals would certainly try to make it an issue, based on some of the YouTube videos I've seen which indicate the scale of the protests in S.E. London and film of the continued destruction of cameras on an organised basis.

Personally I think things like that comment, which is objectively bonkers, are a psychological defence mechanism. He knows that they're stuffed. He knows that there's nothing they can do to turn the situation around. But it's too hard to accept that that is the situation.
He spewed out this nonsense for what seemed hours on the Today programme this morning, getting faster and more hysterical by the minute. The 'interviewer' managed to insinuate the comparison of the Englishman abroad shouting ever louder to make the natives understand, but it totally went over the head of the heavily-caffeineated robot. Turn him on and just wait for the Duracell to run down!

Anyone think the Tories might lose one or both of the Teesside and West Midlands mayoral elections? I do, and I'm hoping against hope it's the former one.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I was surprised to find that when I went to vote for the Surrey Police and Crime Commissioner this morning that there were actually four candidates; only one of them had actually bothered to send any information around so we could have been forgiven for thinking it was just the incumbent versus that one!!

Incidentally, the very title itself is a bit long winded. We only need the "Police Commissioner" bit. Including the "...and Crime..." bit makes it sound like the job includes commissioning crime all over the place!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The initialisation PCC was already taken by the CofE anyway…

TheTallOne

I was wondering if the King might be challenged for ID if he voted. Would a postage stamp be acceptable ID? Or a fiver?

However it turns out royal family don't usually vote as they should stay politically neutral.

Oldham Labour loss to No Party Control. New councillors are independents running on the Gaza issue

Labour also briefing that they've lost the west Midlands election, with this quite unsavoury quote reported by BBC from a senior labour source
It’s the Middle East, not West Midlands, that will have won [Conservative candidate] Andy Street the mayoralty. Once again Hamas are the real villains.

Last edited:

HullRailMan

Oldham Labour loss to No Party Control. New councillors are independents running on the Gaza issue
You’d like to think that people would use the local elections to pass judgement of the performance of their local council, not a foreign war ‍♂️

danbarjon

You’d like to think that people would use the local elections to pass judgement of the performance of their local council, not a foreign war ‍♂️
I think it's more about getting a personal message across by the looks of things. I expect in the GE it could be a similar story if things don't change by then.

HullRailMan

I think it's more about getting a personal message across by the looks of things. I expect in the GE it could be a similar story if things don't change by then.
Well, Let’s hope Starmer doesn’t do a Corbyn and make out Hamas are the good guys. I’m sure Galloway will ride that bandwagon once again.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Conservative Ben Houchen has won Thursday's election in what will be his third consecutive term as Tees Valley Mayor.

Lord Houchen has been in the role since its creation in 2017 and was re-elected in 2021.

His victory was declared at the count in Thornaby on Friday.

Labour's Chris McEwan and Liberal Democrat Simon Thorley also ran for the role.

Let's see if the Tories can retain West Midlands. Tees Valley was the most likely Mayorality for the Tories to win so its not surprising.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Well, Let’s hope Starmer doesn’t do a Corbyn and make out Hamas are the good guys. I’m sure Galloway will ride that bandwagon once again.
Galloway's now got ex-cricketer Monty Plonker on his 'team.' He'd have been better off with Monty Python's dead parrot. :smile:

TrainGeekUK

Galloway's now got ex-cricketer Monty Plonker on his 'team.' He'd have been better off with Monty Python's dead parrot. :smile:
Mr Galloway will be turfed out at the election anyway so nothing to worry about there on that front!

Howardh

Established Member
I was wondering if the King might be challenged for ID if he voted. Would a postage stamp be acceptable ID? Or a fiver?

However it turns out royal family don't usually vote as they should stay politically neutral.

Does the monarch actually have a vote? Understand anyone in the House of Lord's cannot vote in a general election (why not??) but can in locals, so presumably Charles is the head of the Lords (??) so can't vote in the general? But if he HAS a vote like everyone else, then which constituency would he use? Having several residences he could opt to vote in a marginal?

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Does the monarch actually have a vote? Understand anyone in the House of Lord's cannot vote in a general election (why not??) but can in locals, so presumably Charles is the head of the Lords (??) so can't vote in the general? But if he HAS a vote like everyone else, then which constituency would he use? Having several residences he could opt to vote in a marginal?
Whereas there are specific rules in place to prevent members of the House of Lords from voting, there are no such laws in place in relation to The King and members of the Royal Family.

Technically, this means The King and members of his family can vote in elections if they wish to do so.

However, if The King was to head to his local polling station, this would no doubt trigger a constitutional crisis.

There are non-binding guidelines found in Parliament which state it is considered unconstitutional for the monarch or their family to vote in elections.
Official royal guidelines stipulate that the King “has to remain strictly neutral with respect to political matters.” This means he should not vote, or indeed stand as a candidate in an election.

That's what I found online, it seems like an unspoken rule that the Monarch doesn't vote.

Bantamzen

Established Member

Labour also briefing that they've lost the west Midlands election, with this quite unsavoury quote reported by BBC from a senior labour source

Labour already warming up their excuses for when things go wrong when they are in power eh? I mean its good to give future policy decisions the litmus test, but they might have been a bit more subtle than that...

You know a good Labour party would have come out and said they were disappointed with the result and will learn from it. But Labour circa 2024 instantly play the blame card. And I know this is cited as coming from a 'Labour source' so could be seen as just one individual's opinion, but if it's come from within then its likely to be an opinion widely held. Even Starmer himself seemed to hint at this:

Asked why he (Starmer*) thinks Labour lost control of the council in Oldham, he says there has been "difficulty" for Labour in the area for a few years. And that particular local factors meant Oldham's verdict was "out of line" with Labour's overall trajectory.

*Added for context

So not Labour's fault, someone, anyone else's fault. I'm not looking forward to a Labour government, I can see what is coming.

Purple Train

Established Member

A quote which Labour have now distanced themselves from and condemned (it's the same BBC link - post at 13.01).
A Labour Party spokesperson said: "The Labour Party has strongly condemned this racist quote which has not come from anyone who is speaking on behalf of the party or whose values are welcome in the party."
Labour already warming up their excuses for when things go wrong when they are in power eh? I mean its good to give future policy decisions the litmus test, but they might have been a bit more subtle than that...

You know a good Labour party would have come out and said they were disappointed with the result and will learn from it. But Labour circa 2024 instantly play the blame card. And I know this is cited as coming from a 'Labour source' so could be seen as just one individual's opinion, but if it's come from within then its likely to be an opinion widely held. Even Starmer himself seemed to hint at this:

*Added for context

So not Labour's fault, someone, anyone else's fault. I'm not looking forward to a Labour government, I can see what is coming.
I think this is slightly disingenuous. In your quote, Starmer answered the question that was put to him: to answer a different question ("What is your reaction to the result?") would be rather ridiculous in those circumstances.

I disagree with Starmer on this issue, but would personally far rather he was genuine on this and any other issue than he pretended to hold a different opinion in order to gain power and popularity. Or, to put it more succinctly, I'm sick of populism.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
York & North Yorkshire Mayoral Result:

Skaith (LAB): 35.1%
Duncan (CON): 27.3%
Cunlife-Lister (LDM): 16.2%
Foster (GRN): 8.0%
Tordoff (IND): 7.0%
Haslam (IND): 6.5%

Labour WIN New Mayorality.

How embarrassing for Sunak who will now have a Labour Mayor in his constituency. Looks like voters weren't sold by Duncan's plan to buy the Grand Hotel in Scarborough.

North East Mayoral Result:

McGuinness (LAB): 41.3%
Driscoll (IND): 28.2%
Renner-Thompson (CON): 11.7%
➡️ Donaghy (RFM): 9.2%
King (LDM): 5.7%
Gray (GRN): 3.9%

Labour WIN new Mayorality.

Not as close as the bookies were making out between Driscoll and Labour.

Thirteen

Find it weird that there is a narrative online that Susan Hall has won London when counting hasn't started.

brad465

Established Member
Find it weird that there is a narrative online that Susan Hall has won London when counting hasn't started.
I've heard, and this is somewhat cynical, that is this laying the groundwork to claim that postal ballot fraud stole the election from Hall should Khan be declared the winner (i.e. the narrative Trump had been creating in 2020). Whether this turns out to be the case will only be seen once the result is declared.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I've heard, and this is somewhat cynical, that is this laying the groundwork to claim that postal ballot fraud stole the election from Hall should Khan be declared the winner (i.e. the narrative Trump had been creating in 2020). Whether this turns out to be the case will only be seen once the result is declared.
I took it as being someone has discovered Lozza Fox's drug stash.

deltic

Established Member
The tweets that Sadiq Kahn was putting out last night were sounding more and more desperate. Turnout is supposedly low and the fear is that Labour supporters didn't turn out.

HullRailMan

*Added for context

This is part of the problem Labour currently have. The government are clearly unpopular, but there’s no real enthusiasm for Labour, such as that seen in 1997. This then becomes tricky as you have to convince disaffected voters to switch sides and actively vote, not just stay at home. Simply not being the Tories might not be enough to secure Labour a majority.

This feeds in to part of the chatter around London today - a low turnout will like favour the conservatives as Khan’s detractors are more likely to have the motivation to go out and vote.

Perhaps the sad thing at the moment is the general apathy throughout politics in all parts of the UK.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The tweets that Sadiq Kahn was putting out last night were sounding more and more desperate. Turnout is supposedly low and the fear is that Labour supporters didn't turn out.
I certainly don't think it's a slam-dunk for Khan, especially without P.R. this time (no doubt this was arranged to make it more difficult for him.) I've been watching some of his TV appearances and he's certainly unlikely to have won many extra votes from them with his dour, humourless, slightly aloof performances. He could and should have made some concessions on ULEZ expansion (e.g. a discount on charges for a period for London residents) imo and fought for extra money for a scrappage scheme.