• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2024 Local, Mayoral and PCC Elections

simonw

I think those giving conspirital motives to the change to FPTP need to remeber it works both ways, it also allows Farage to peel off a lot of votes to the right. And also remeber when the change was legislated their wasn't the Gaza conflict and no major splits on the left happening. FPTP is cheaper and less time consuming, and the government are misers
The Westminster government doesn't pay for the London Mayor elections

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Tories didn't really want Susan Hall in the first place so her being planted is not true.
I would imagine if the Conservatives do better than the polling suggests there will be questions in the Conservative Party as to how they ended up with such a rubbish candidate.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I would imagine if the Conservatives do better than the polling suggests there will be questions in the Conservative Party as to how they ended up with such a rubbish candidate.
They don't exactly have form for picking good candidates. Both Shaun Bailey and Susan Hall came with some fairly misplaced ideology, and wrecking ball stuff, about how London should be run.

Thirteen

It is because their preferred candidate Daniel Korski dropped out because of sexual misconduct allegations.

It can't be that hard to find a candidate who's moderate and marketable to Londoners.

West Central which was won by Shaun Bailey has also been won by Khan.

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
I've certainly found some of the media coverage baffling.

And I only get my information from the media - TV, radio and newspapers.

Firstly, various of them suggesting that Sadiq Khan won't win in London. Based on all the information from all the media until yesterday, this isn't going to happen. So why have some of them changed their mind? I don't believe it.

Secondly, Sky "projecting" that - based on the local election results - Labour will be the largest party at the next general election but won't win a majority. I just don't buy it. Conservative annihilation and huge Labour majority I'd bet a lot of money on. However my limit is my £10 at 10-1 on a January election, I can't afford to lose more! But does anyone here seriously think that Labour won't win a majority?

PGAT

Established Member
Khan won North East constituency with 61.4% and almost a 7% swing

nlogax

Established Member
Interesting to see that the 'closer than expected' chatter of the last 24 hours appear to be a complete work of social media fiction and / or Laura K delusion. I would love to know where those rumours started.

Thirteen

I've certainly found some of the media coverage baffling.

And I only get my information from the media - TV, radio and newspapers.

Firstly, various of them suggesting that Sadiq Khan won't win in London. Based on all the information from all the media until yesterday, this isn't going to happen. So why have some of them changed their mind? I don't believe it.

Secondly, Sky "projecting" that - based on the local election results - Labour will be the largest party at the next general election but won't win a majority. I just don't buy it. Conservative annihilation and huge Labour majority I'd bet a lot of money on. However my limit is my £10 at 10-1 on a January election, I can't afford to lose more! But does anyone here seriously think that Labour won't win a majority?
I wonder if someone looked at the turnout and assumed that it would go Susan Hall's way. The fact she lost in places where Tories did well last time suggests people in those areas weren't keen.

Howardh

Established Member
Interesting to see that the 'closer than expected' chatter of the last 24 hours appear to be a complete work of social media fiction and / or Laura K delusion. I would love to know where those rumours started.
Yes, and yes.

jfollows

Established Member
I wonder if someone looked at the turnout and assumed that it would go Susan Hall's way. The fact she lost in places where Tories did well last time suggests people in those areas weren't keen.
Now the Guardian is saying that Khan may well do better than expected …. https://www.theguardian.com/politic...n-susan-hall-west-midlands-greater-manchester
The Labour team say they are confident of victory and it and looks like it’s possible that Sadiq Khan has done better than anyone could have expected.

From the results that are in, it looks like there have been swings towards Khan and Labour right across London. If Sadiq beats the Tories by more than 4.7% he will have not only won a third historic and unprecedented term, but increased his lead from his second term

Thirteen

The FPTP change really backfired on the Tories as well as a frankly terrible candidate.

When is West Midlands and Greater Manchester going to be announced? Not that the latter matters as Andy Burnham is a lock to win.

takno

Established Member
There's been a lot of talk about outer vs inner London over the last few weeks, and when the turnout figures came in it was clear that turnout was down in inner London and up in outer London, so people may have jumped to conclusions. The things they were ignoring were perhaps that:
  • the additional people turning out in outer London might be Labour supporters who didn't think it was important to bother last time
  • the loss of votes due to Palestine was already built into the polls for London (and may in any case have been more muted than other places because the candidate has pushed quite hard against the party line, and there isn't an expelled independent standing)
  • there has been a lot of messaging around FPTP, which may well have led to heavy tactical voting in Labour's favour

jfollows

Established Member
BBC now forecasting (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-68609732)
The BBC's polling expert John Curtice is forecasting that with six of the constituency results now published Sadiq Khan will be re-elected as Mayor of London for an historic third term.

We anticipate that the outcome in terms of votes will approximately be as follows:

• Sadiq Khan (LAB) - 43%
  • Susan Hall (CON) - 33%
This would represent a swing of 2.5% from Conservative to Labour since 2021.

The FPTP change really backfired on the Tories as well as a frankly terrible candidate.

When is West Midlands and Greater Manchester going to be announced? Not that the latter matters as Andy Burnham is a lock to win.
14:30 for West Midlands …. oh, that’s 7 minutes ago! “Too close to call” it seems …..
16:30 for London it seems …..

Last edited:

Thirteen

Susan Hall 54.6% in Bexley & Bromley, surprise surprise
Sadiq Khan saw his vote share increase as well due to the high turnout.

West Central going to Labour must sting for the Tories but also it's an indication that some of their seats in those areas may go red in the GE.

Andy Burnham has comfortably won GM again.

Last edited:

nlogax

Established Member
There's been a lot of talk about outer vs inner London over the last few weeks, and when the turnout figures came in it was clear that turnout was down in inner London and up in outer London, so people may have jumped to conclusions. The things they were ignoring were perhaps that:
  • the additional people turning out in outer London might be Labour supporters who didn't think it was important to bother last time
  • the loss of votes due to Palestine was already built into the polls for London (and may in any case have been more muted than other places because the candidate has pushed quite hard against the party line, and there isn't an expelled independent standing)
  • there has been a lot of messaging around FPTP, which may well have led to heavy tactical voting in Labour's favour

I've read a lot of the inner v outer London discussions in recent days but a rumour or two specifically emerged online yesterday, backed up by an X from Kuenssberg. Considering the actual count didn't actually start until this morning..

Thirteen

The Outer London Boroughs has become more conservative in recent years but it's interesting that the more well heeled areas are voting Labour.

JamesT

Established Member
I've read a lot of the inner v outer London discussions in recent days but a rumour or two specifically emerged online yesterday, backed up by an X from Kuenssberg. Considering the actual count didn't actually start until this morning..
I would assume someone like Kuenssberg will have access to exit polls, so it won't be complete guesswork. The naughty bit is she tweeted a few minutes before the polls had closed.

Thirteen

I would expect Susan Hall to win Croydon and Sutton, Havering and Redbridge and Khan to win Southwark and Lambeth, the big one is Camden and Barnet which Sadiq Khan won last time.

jfollows

Established Member
After 105 out of 107 council declarations:
Labour 1,089 +227
LibDem 521 +97
Conservative 505 -397
Other 284 -17
Green 181 +64

Conservative better than -500
LibDem > Conservative
Green very good results

Last edited: