• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

22nd February - Roadmap out of the pandemic, lifting of restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyBin

Established Member
I don't think people are suggesting there is an organised scheme to inflate Covid deaths, but rather that there appears to be little distinguishing a death with Covid and a death from Covid.

Of course, without investigating each and every death in detail we will never know the true figure, but I struggle to believe that 120,000 people have died of causes solely or predominantly attributable to Covid. The range of IFRs indicated by research and the percentage of the population estimated to have had the disease simply don't support that.

I can certainly provide one anecdote of somebody I know taking what was always going to be a one way trip to hospital, contracting covid whilst there and being counted as a covid death. The family challenged it, I’m not sure where they got to with that actually. Anecdotal, but how many times has the same thing happened?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
I don't think people are suggesting there is an organised scheme to inflate Covid deaths, but rather that there appears to be little distinguishing a death with Covid and a death from Covid.

Of course, without investigating each and every death in detail we will never know the true figure, but I struggle to believe that 120,000 people have died of causes solely or predominantly attributable to Covid. The range of IFRs indicated by research and the percentage of the population estimated to have had the disease simply don't support that.

~11% of deaths in England (as registered by ONS) have been "with not of" - 109,266 of the ~123,000 covid deaths registered to date had covid as the underlying cause of death - ie had they not caught covid they wouldn't have died at the time they did, the other 13,614 will predominantly be notifiable deaths, where covid had no impact on their death, but having returned a positive test and promptly died, they're required to be reported

There's plenty of information out there, just never seems to be picked up on as it doesn't really go for or against either view (neither "Covid is super deadly" and "covid numbers are a scam" really benefit from the numbers) - plus being on a several week lag, it doesn't tend to get as much attention (and requiring maths to be done) it doesn't get picked up by the media

greyman42

Established Member
And many won’t - the idea that Covid is just a respiratory disease is a dangerous misreading of its nature. A colleague (early 40s, reasonably fit & well) who had it would have loved it to have been flu.
I had flu for the first time a couple of years ago. I had Covid at Christmas. I would say that in my experience the flu was slightly worse.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Fortunately, neither does Covid, the IFR from Ioannidis et al is around 0.23%. [1]

[1] https://www.who.int/bulletin/online_first/BLT.20.265892.pdf

That study appears to be quite old, and not confined to the U.K.

Incidentally, where are you getting your Covid-19 IFR of 2-3% from? Isn’t it more like 1% in the worst affected countries? I’d question the accuracy of the 10% hospitalisation rate as well but admittedly I don’t have the data to hand.

I was basing it on 110-120k deaths in this country, and 450k hospital admissions vs 4.2m recorded positive tests. Of course the latter figure is almost certainly an underestimate. But even if the real number of cases is 6m then that makes ~2% deaths and 7.5% hospitalisations. I’m happy to believe it is less than that of course - and there’s lots of data out there. But, of course, it’s rates in this country that matter when we are talking about easing of restrictions in this country.

takno

Established Member
I was basing it on 110-120k deaths in this country, and 450k hospital admissions vs 4.2m recorded positive tests. Of course the latter figure is almost certainly an underestimate. But even if the real number of cases is 6m then that makes ~2% deaths and 7.5% hospitalisations. I’m happy to believe it is less than that of course - and there’s lots of data out there. But, of course, it’s rates in this country that matter when we are talking about easing of restrictions in this country.
Even where testing has been relatively comprehensive, as it was by December, the ONS and React surveys still indicated that the field testing was only catching between a third and half of infections. In the first wave it's unlikely we were even getting positive tests for 10% of the cases. 2% deaths is clearly way off, and less than 0.5% is actually quite probable.

That's in a country where we have a substantial elderly population, and relatively high prevalence of comorbidities such as diabetes. We also did some very stupid things in the early stages which made the very vulnerable elderly more exposed than the general population. 0.2% IFR across a more globally typical population seems quite probable.

The same applies to the hospital stats, although with the additional caveat that we really need to do the same "with" Vs "of" Covid analysis, since a lot of admissions will have been for other things where people either happened to have Covid as well, or more likely caught it in hospital.

Yew

Established Member
That study appears to be quite old, and not confined to the U.K.

Studies back in the Summer were suggesting that up to 20% of people had been exposed, the numbers that you're using are almost certainly not representative of the situation.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Even where testing has been relatively comprehensive, as it was by December, the ONS and React surveys still indicated that the field testing was only catching between a third and half of infections. In the first wave it's unlikely we were even getting positive tests for 10% of the cases. 2% deaths is clearly way off, and less than 0.5% is actually quite probable.

That's in a country where we have a substantial elderly population, and relatively high prevalence of comorbidities such as diabetes. We also did some very stupid things in the early stages which made the very vulnerable elderly more exposed than the general population. 0.2% IFR across a more globally typical population seems quite probable.

The same applies to the hospital stats, although with the additional caveat that we really need to do the same "with" Vs "of" Covid analysis, since a lot of admissions will have been for other things where people either happened to have Covid as well, or more likely caught it in hospital.
Where has there ever been an independent validation of the ONS and React surveys? Also this need now to test at such a high level is getting ridiculous and should be considerably dialled back and only used when outbreaks occur in an area. With low prevalence they will create too many false positives and delude themselves a problem exists when it does. Like last week Hancock very worried about increases in 20% of LA areas one week on case rates have collapsed across the board - did they ever try to understand whether there was an underlying cause - cause not can't possibly undermine there cause.

takno

Established Member
Where has there ever been an independent validation of the ONS and React surveys? Also this need now to test at such a high level is getting ridiculous and should be considerably dialled back and only used when outbreaks occur in an area. With low prevalence they will create too many false positives and delude themselves a problem exists when it does. Like last week Hancock very worried about increases in 20% of LA areas one week on case rates have collapsed across the board - did they ever try to understand whether there was an underlying cause - cause not can't possibly undermine there cause.
I absolutely agree. I don't think expanded testing should be part of the route out of lockdown, and I don't think ongoing testing or tracing at low levels is useful. The false positives at low levels and the ineffectiveness of T&T as a strategy to limit spread make the whole thing pointless. Meanwhile the general focus on inaccurate infection numbers, for a disease where being infected doesn't even double your baseline risk of ending up in hospital or dying, seems absurd.

The ONS and React surveys are always measuring the situation a couple of weeks ago rather than now, and do have issues with false positives when there is low prevalence. The actual data from the React study is also often undermined by the toxic Imperial commentary that gets attached to it. Taking all that into account though, they paint a fairly credible picture of historic infections in the UK, and are a more useful guide to infection numbers than the raw positive test result numbers are.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I absolutely agree. I don't think expanded testing should be part of the route out of lockdown, and I don't think ongoing testing or tracing at low levels is useful. The false positives at low levels and the ineffectiveness of T&T as a strategy to limit spread make the whole thing pointless. Meanwhile the general focus on inaccurate infection numbers, for a disease where being infected doesn't even double your baseline risk of ending up in hospital or dying, seems absurd.

The ONS and React surveys are always measuring the situation a couple of weeks ago rather than now, and do have issues with false positives when there is low prevalence. The actual data from the React study is also often undermined by the toxic Imperial commentary that gets attached to it. Taking all that into account though, they paint a fairly credible picture of historic infections in the UK, and are a more useful guide to infection numbers than the raw positive test result numbers are.
Exactly. Mass testing only picks up on infections, numbers which can easily be turned into "concerning" factors. The real factor that needs monitoring is the number of people becoming seriously ill, which we now know is going to decrease, and indeed is decreasing thanks to the vaccinations.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I’m inclined to think it’ll go in a little longer. But once it is determined the threat has diminished significantly they need to knock it on the head. Can’t go on forever isolating massive swathes of people
It's ironic that we can afford millions to test people for Covid but apparently there isn't any money to give nurses a decent pay rise.

DB

It's ironic that we can afford millions to test people for Covid but apparently there isn't any money to give nurses a decent pay rise.

Just as we can apparently afford to pay millions of young people at low risk to sit around on their arses for over a year, but can't put any effective systems in place for care homes.

philosopher

Established Member
Exactly. Mass testing only picks up on infections, numbers which can easily be turned into "concerning" factors. The real factor that needs monitoring is the number of people becoming seriously ill, which we now know is going to decrease, and indeed is decreasing thanks to the vaccinations.
The schools going back next week worries me. Not because it will result in more infections, but because the mass testing they are going to do at schools will inevitably result in increased numbers of positive tests which could be used to justify delaying further lockdown easing.

Crossover

Established Member
My understanding is that there is a little more to it than the media is reporting and is also in a time when there are significant job losses and lack of increases elsewhere

The schools going back next week worries me. Not because it will result in more infections, but because the mass testing they are going to do at schools will inevitably result in increased numbers of positive tests which could be used to justify delaying further lockdown easing.
Agreed

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
One argument would be that 'Test and Trace' is a one off cost. It can be capitalised and borrowed against, paid off over 60 years. Whereas a pay rise is 'the gift that keeps on costing', this year, next year and every year, plus you add to that base cost with next years pay rise etc. For the same reasons, crafty employers will offer a one off payment of (say) £1,000 rather than adding £900 to the base salary.

There is a picture on one of the news websites. A mobile billboard van with a sponsored message:
"Look them in the eyes and tell them they're only worth an extra £3.50 a week" Excellent.

Found it here:
Sky News article referred to

skynews-nurse-nhs_5294635.jpg
Picture shows what can be assumed to be a nurse, in PPE, in a campaign by the Royal College of Nursing.

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
Hopefully the recent message from Hancock that we have broken the link between infections and deaths will counter any hard core locktivists.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I must admit, I'm not prepared to stay locked down for longer just so that the Government can try to look good in front of parents. I will be out and about. Its the businesses I worry for.

Bikeman78

Established Member
There is a picture on one of the news websites. A mobile billboard van with a sponsored message:
"Look them in the eyes and tell them they're only worth an extra £3.50 a week" Excellent.
Yes very good. Though I immediately thought of Dave Gorman, "Dear Sir Alan Lord Sugar!"

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I can't remember the last time a Saturday death figure (158 today) was as close to the preceding Sunday (144 last Sunday)

This is very encouraging. Cases are much lower too.

Simon11

Established Member
Yes very good. Though I immediately thought of Dave Gorman, "Dear Sir Alan Lord Sugar!"
One argument would be that 'Test and Trace' is a one off cost. It can be capitalised and borrowed against, paid off over 60 years. Whereas a pay rise is 'the gift that keeps on costing', this year, next year and every year, plus you add to that base cost with next years pay rise etc. For the same reasons, crafty employers will offer a one off payment of (say) £1,000 rather than adding £900 to the base salary.

Found it here:
Sky News article referred to

View attachment 91969
Picture shows what can be assumed to be a nurse, in PPE, in a campaign by the Royal College of Nursing.
This could shoot themselves in the foot?

If they got say a 5% increase, this is an extra £17.50 a week. Is this going to make any difference to a nurse and what they can afford? Plus consider the reduction after tax, NI ext

What about the young people that have been laid off this year without much of an income to protect the NHS and reduce burden in hospitals?

With current hospital rates, things should be much quieter in hospitals and after time to recover, we should have already started getting back to regular normal NHS treatments? However it doesnt appear that we are as I haven't seen anything in the news?

Apologies if anyone takes offence, I am just considering it from the other side of the fence!

Last edited:

birchesgreen

Established Member
This could shoot themselves in the foot?

If they got say a 5% increase, this is an extra £17.50 a week. Is this going to make any difference to a nurse and what they can afford? Plus consider the reduction after tax, NI ext

What about the young people that have been laid off this year without much of an income to protect the NHS and reduce burden in hospitals?

With current hospital rates, things should be much quieter in hospitals and after time to recover, we should have already started getting back to regular normal NHS treatments? However it doesnt appear that we are as I haven't seen anything in the news?

Apologies if anyone takes offence, I am just considering it from the other side of the fence!
Couldn't you use this argument to say no one should ever have a pay rise? Any extra will be useful, as your bills rise in any case.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
100% agree.

I’m no expert here, but do other endemic respiratory diseases have the same rate of infection, and risk of hospitalisation and death?
We can’t know for sure what flu was like at the start, but viruses tend to mutate with a downward trend of mortality. They’re like any other organism - they try to propagate themselves as much as possible. Mutations which decrease the severity of the illness, keeping its host alive and infectious for longer, tend to be more successful at replication. That’s why extraordinarily lethal virus are also so very rare.
COVID will simply become an endemic disease we tolerate as the cost of simply being alive on the planet.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Hopefully the recent message from Hancock that we have broken the link between infections and deaths will counter any hard core locktivists.
Well English hospitalisations down another 500 over the last 24hrs to stand at 8594 a quarter of the January peak fulfils that test but that won't budge them from these draconian rules. Mortality rate in England is now back where it was in early October so another link broken. They won't change the plan yet though but when education shows no change in hospitalisation and mortality they will have to reassess. I don't care if BoJo whats to claim credit for bringing everything forward bring it on.

Crossover

Established Member
Well English hospitalisations down another 500 over the last 24hrs to stand at 8594 a quarter of the January peak fulfils that test but that won't budge them from these draconian rules. Mortality rate in England is now back where it was in early October so another link broken. They won't change the plan yet though but when education shows no change in hospitalisation and mortality they will have to reassess. I don't care if BoJo whats to claim credit for bringing everything forward bring it on.

As I recall, 8594 was actually the number reported yesterday, too. It may have lowered a little more since, too

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
As I recall, 8594 was actually the number reported yesterday, too. It may have lowered a little more since, too
Fair do's took it as latest data as it was 5/3 and hospital data can be a bit laggy. Bottom line as you say its going in a very positive direction.

Crossover

Established Member
Fair do's took it as latest data as it was 5/3 and hospital data can be a bit laggy. Bottom line as you say its going in a very positive direction.

Yes - I wasn’t having a go, apologies if it came over as so. It dropped 1000 over a couple of days earlier in the week, too. All positive news.

philosopher

Established Member
In the The Times yesterday I spotted this article:

The article is mostly how Kwasi Kwarteng, the MP for Spelthorne in Surrey believes town centres will evolve in response to the pandemic, however midday through the article I did spot these comments that I found a bit concerning:
Many businesses, particularly in the hospitality sector, are pushing for restrictions on social distancing to be eased as soon as possible. A government review will be published in June but privately ministers say they may be in place until next year.

“When I speak to retailers and people in the hospitality industry they are quite ready to adapt their premises to social distancing,” he says. “What they can’t stand is the idea of opening up and then plunging back into a lockdown. That’s what they really want to avoid. I think this year, there may well be still some social distancing. There’s also that whole thing of consumer behaviour. People will expect a certain degree of safeguards. We don’t know how people are going to react.”
If what he is saying is correct, then social distancing restrictions may continue until next year, justified on the need to prevent another lockdown.

DustyBin

Established Member
In the The Times yesterday I spotted this article:

The article is mostly how Kwasi Kwarteng, the MP for Spelthorne in Surrey believes town centres will evolve in response to the pandemic, however midday through the article I did spot these comments that I found a bit concerning:

If what he is saying is correct, then social distancing restrictions may continue until next year, justified on the need to prevent another lockdown.

I’m expecting social distancing and possibly masks to remain for much or all of this year at least. It hasn’t been confirmed or denied but I keep picking up on comments such as the one above. To say I’m annoyed at the prospect is an understatement but I’m prepared for it. How they expect nightclubs to be able to operate I have no idea....

chris11256

Masks I can understand but not social distancing. It’ll cause severe problems for all sectors as well as blowing up any hope of a mass return to public transport. Plus will require another furlough extension for workers who aren’t needed because of reduced capacity everywhere.

With vaccines as effective as they are, I don’t see how it can be justified once everyone has been offered their first dose.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I’m expecting social distancing and possibly masks to remain for much or all of this year at least. It hasn’t been confirmed or denied but I keep picking up on comments such as the one above. To say I’m annoyed at the prospect is an understatement but I’m prepared for it. How they expect nightclubs to be able to operate I have no idea....
I'm not. Many businesses cannot operate with limited capacity due to social distancing, and as been shown this week the government can no longer afford to prop them up. So I fully expect that social distancing will quietly be dropped, along with mandatory mask wearing.

DustyBin

Established Member
It’s completely unjustifiable, at best they’re kowtowing to the mad SAGE lot, at worst they’re planning a few permanent “tweaks” to our way of life. Take your pick, I’ve no idea what goes through their minds!

I'm not. Many businesses cannot operate with limited capacity due to social distancing, and as been shown this week the government can no longer afford to prop them up. So I fully expect that social distancing will quietly be dropped, along with mandatory mask wearing.

Fingers crossed you’re right!

Status
Not open for further replies.