• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2E24 Portsmouth to Southampton 159

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Caught the usual 159 from Fareham up to Southampton this morning (the one that arrives about 1040 and used to run through to Salisbury) and it seems since May it no longer joins up with that hour's Romsey - Salisbury to run as a five car train up to Salisbury.

I see RTT shows this is 'as per WTT' for this timetable period, so I guess it's a permanent change - I'd assumed running the two units together saved on train crew, but now the ECS seems to follow the in-service unit up to Salisbury, about 5 mins behind, running as 5E24.

Anyone know why what appeared to be quite an efficient way of operating has ended?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Firstly because it resulted in regular late running from Southampton and secondly because 2E24 will soon become a Class 450 when enough 458/5 are available to displace stock.

In the 10 times I've worked 2E24 it has only arrived on time once, usually because we have to wait for the ex Romsey portion to arrive first.

http://mntaylor.railmiles.org/headcode-2E24/

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Firstly because it resulted in regular late running from Southampton and secondly because 2E24 will soon become a Class 450 when enough 458/5 are available to displace stock.

In the 10 times I've worked 2E24 it has only arrived on time once, usually because we have to wait for the ex Romsey portion to arrive first.

http://mntaylor.railmiles.org/headcode-2E24/

Thanks Matt - that seems a good idea then.

...and tends to confirm what I always thought, that the main reason they introduced that 159 on that service, (and the earlier one towards Pompey),was to make the relevant 450 available for strengthening another electric service, i.e. it wasn't primarily to aid Fratton driver's traction knowledge...

387star

On Moderation
What about the afternoon Eastleigh service from Portsmouth is that staying a 158?

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Unlikely, but I don't know when that will change.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Worked the 'new' 2E24 and it actually arrived on time, wouldn't have done if it had been required to attatch to 2S24.

HBM

Interestingly the 16:24 (now 16:26) Basingstoke to Portsmouth Harbour was booked for a159 for some years, but was converted to 450 earlier this year.

When operated by a 159 it lost time South of Winchester almost daily, but since conversion to 450 punctuality has improved immensely.

One of the main reasons for the delays when a 159, was station dwell times, as this can be a very busy service, especially during Winchester college term time.

455driver

Veteran Member
Interestingly the 16:24 (now 16:26) Basingstoke to Portsmouth Harbour was booked for a159 for some years, but was converted to 450 earlier this year.

When operated by a 159 it lost time South of Winchester almost daily, but since conversion to 450 punctuality has improved immensely.

One of the main reasons for the delays when a 159, was station dwell times, as this can be a very busy service, especially during Winchester college term time.

I used to catch that one many years ago when it was a 170 from Reading and the loadings were horrendous then.

vikingdriver

Caught the usual 159 from Fareham up to Southampton this morning (the one that arrives about 1040 and used to run through to Salisbury) and it seems since May it no longer joins up with that hour's Romsey - Salisbury to run as a five car train up to Salisbury.

I see RTT shows this is 'as per WTT' for this timetable period, so I guess it's a permanent change - I'd assumed running the two units together saved on train crew, but now the ECS seems to follow the in-service unit up to Salisbury, about 5 mins behind, running as 5E24.

Anyone know why what appeared to be quite an efficient way of operating has ended?

Fratton drivers now sign to Salisbury and work this ECS service for route retention purposes and take another ECS movement back later. One assumes at some point, if / when it becomes a 450, Fratton drivers will work some of the Romsey rounder services to / from Salisbury.

Status
Not open for further replies.