• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3000 applicants so far for TPE trainee dvr jobs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJDS

All 3 :) submitted 29/6

It's interesting that those guys which seem to have slipped an application in early have started emerging through the other side, raises an eyebrow when they extended the closing date til the 14/8. Nearly 6 weeks open when they're normally 2 weeks. Possibly made the decision and just releasing the candidates in stages for each assessment date?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJDS

I was 29th June each time I get an email my heart skips a beat :|

Again, no news is good news. Some guys on here already been given the dear john. If there was no prospect for you pretty sure they would have emailed you by now. Possibly first assessment on 29th full, once that one gets confirmed then maybe get the email you want.

Fingers crossed for you bud, I'm in same boat. Keep us posted :D

Shrimper

I applied on the 9th July. I think I applied for Manchester and Liverpool, but might only have put down Manchester (though I did tick the box that said I'd be willing to relocate).

MrJDS

couple of thousand applicants and 1 confirmed assesment date so far. Be rather unfortunate for the rest of us if they found all the drivers they required on that one day. Fingers crossed for everyone :D

rob12

Hi anybody else having a problem with the bourden download?? downloading is not a problem but using it is, i cannot at all click the the ones i want i am having to do with my finger!! the cursor does not work either with the mouse or touch pad, I can't be the only one having this problem

lvaxb24

Use the cursor keys but printing off a paper version and practising on that will be far more useful and relevent on the day

rob12

Use the cursor keys but printing off a paper version and practising on that will be far more useful and relevent on the day

Thanks mate much apprciated, have you been through this process
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also has anybody recived a revsion pack through the post?? I haven't yet there seems to be a few other guys on here that have recived items through the post to practice on, do first group not do this, I also have no clue to as what to excpect with mechanical test IE; DIALS,TRACTION, and so on? any body got any info on this part of the test cheers fellas

DaveH

Hi all

I got an email yesterday saying i had an assessment on the 30th in Manchester, problem is i have just booked a last minute holiday and we fly on the 30th.....Nooooooo....

They rang me and said i can go on a waiting list if anybody pulls out of the 29th, so fingers crossed.

Just a question really, on the mechanical aptitude test, can you take in a calculator, as working out weights and distances on the see saw fulcrum related questions is a lot easier with one.

Cheers..Dave

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Hi all

I got an email yesterday saying i had an assessment on the 30th in Manchester, problem is i have just booked a last minute holiday and we fly on the 30th.....Nooooooo....

They rang me and said i can go on a waiting list if anybody pulls out of the 29th, so fingers crossed.

Just a question really, on the mechanical aptitude test, can you take in a calculator, as working out weights and distances on the see saw fulcrum related questions is a lot easier with one.

Cheers..Dave

No mate

Lanc688

Hi all

Cheers..Dave

Dave,

From memory, the q's in the mech test are somewhat more 'lateral' than those that may be worked out using a calculator. What i'm trying to say is that you need an 'eye' for the theory behind the mechanics, rather than the ability to apply a calculation !

Lanc

DaveH

Cheers for the input

Thats a shame that is, cos since my son taught me how to calculate those i was getting them all right, with a calculator of course.

Right lets see if i can find my sons basic physics book from his GCSE days.

Silv1983

On a tangent: Had an interview today with Northern for Manchester Trainee Driver position and was told 400 applied. A fraction of this 3000+

Is First so much better to work for?! Strange how it attracted so many more people to apply!

MrJDS

On a tangent: Had an interview today with Northern for Manchester Trainee Driver position and was told 400 applied. A fraction of this 3000+

Is First so much better to work for?! Strange how it attracted so many more people to apply!

What date did that application close? and was it the assessment day or the managers interview??? Also, what sort of timeframes did you work to?

Silv1983

What date did that application close? and was it the assessment day or the managers interview??? Also, what sort of timeframes did you work to?

Applied 10th of May. Given an online Visual Comparison Test 2 weeks later, passed that early june, waited 2 months and got the invite to interview 13th August. It was originally for Manchester Picc but they need drivers at Victoria now so it has migrated. It was managers interview. Assessment next if sucessful.

Beveridges

Established Member

What would you rather drive, a 185 that only stops at a station about once or twice every hour or an old unit that stops every 2 minutes?
That's why TransPennine is seen as the better work. Or more likely, when Northern advertise externally, the closing date is normally about 2 days, but TPE leave it open for ages.

Last edited:

kleb15

What would you rather drive, a 185 that only stops at a station about once or twice every hour or an old unit that stops every 2 minutes?
That's why TransPennine is seen as the better work. Or more likely, when Northern advertise externally, the closing date is normally about 2 days, but TPE leave it open for ages.

Yeh true, but you ever been on the TPE that goes from manchester-glasgow, stops about 7-8 times in Cumbria alone that one, really goes around the houses

Silv1983

I would say if I wanted a driving job that badly I'd apply for any TOC and transfer if it bothered me that much. Snobbish views of any TOC is like looking a gift horse in the mouth imo.

Sunday_mornin

I would say if I wanted a driving job that badly I'd apply for any TOC and transfer if it bothered me that much. Snobbish views of any TOC is like looking a gift horse in the mouth imo.

I agree, I know Silv has just attended the same interview as me with Northern and also like me has an application in with TPE. From my position of just wanting to be a Train Driver, it's just the job I'm interested in not necessarily the kudos associated with certain companies. I'm actually taking a real shine to Northern, it has no airs or graces, just like me :p

Last edited:

Sunday_mornin

Not heard anything myself either, I'm not really anticipating any contact until the first batch have under gone their assessments.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Nah just Lime Street.
Apparently only 2 existing TPE drivers are transferring to Lime
street so it will be a big recruitment for qualified and
Trainees .

kleb15

Nah just Lime Street.
Apparently only 2 existing TPE drivers are transferring to Lime
street so it will be a big recruitment for qualified and
Trainees .

Oh right, thats pretty good, what's classified as a big recruitment then in the rail industry, like 10 trainees or is it less than that? Also do you know anything about Manc Dave and how many they're looking to recruit there?

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Hiya,

I dont know how many at Manc I think there are ten trainees over 3 depots..
DI mentioned Liverpool depot will have 20 drivers in total.

It was a TPE driver who was very helpful that I spoke to.

Thanks

E16 Cyclist

Hiya,

I dont know how many at Manc I think there are ten trainees over 3 depots..
DI mentioned Liverpool depot will have 20 drivers in total.

It was a TPE driver who was very helpful that I spoke to.

Thanks

At the qualifed driver assessment they said there were 16 vacancies so doing the maths thats a maximum of 4 trainees at Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.