• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

313 replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Apparently these conductor operated trains are being fitted with DOO monitors
I wonder how many more years these will be around
Interiors are very shabby due to people putting their feet on the seats and the window surrounds look very worn

3 car trains are not long enough on the west coastway route and they get very hot in the summer

Hopefully a replacement is around the corner. I'm not anti old trains but these ones feel quite nasty and worn out

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aleggatta

I've been out of the loop fleet side for 8 months, but from what I recall the latest drivers(or was it Conductors?) deal included a clause that 313's would not be DOO on the coastways. I honestly can't see them wasting the time and effort when they are bound to be one of the first fleets earmarked for replacement at next franchise, and any operational change would likely line up with the stock change.

However, I do agree with you, they are generally nasty trains (to work on and travel in!) with spares rapidly diminishing. The only likely replacements I can see is stock displacement from Southeastern with the rumoured new stock coming in there, so looking at 377/5's (would make the most sense) or 376's

cjmillsnun

Established Member
I've been out of the loop fleet side for 8 months, but from what I recall the latest drivers(or was it Conductors?) deal included a clause that 313's would not be DOO on the coastways. I honestly can't see them wasting the time and effort when they are bound to be one of the first fleets earmarked for replacement at next franchise, and any operational change would likely line up with the stock change.

However, I do agree with you, they are generally nasty trains (to work on and travel in!) with spares rapidly diminishing. The only likely replacements I can see is stock displacement from Southeastern with the rumoured new stock coming in there, so looking at 377/5's (would make the most sense) or 376's
There should be cannibalised spares available soon from the GN fleet that are being scrapped

aleggatta

There should be cannibalised spares available soon from the GN fleet that are being scrapped
just because cannibalised spares are available, doesn't mean they are suitable to be re-fitted. if you take a look at things like the window seals, they are virtually completely perished and I've never seen any new seals available, there are other examples, likewise some windows are beginning to be sealed shut due to hinge breakages. sometimes it has to be accepted that a products end of life has arrived...

Established Member
Feet on the seats seems to be a really bad issue on these trains - I have never found such grimy seats quite like when I visit the South Coast and have to ride around in a 313 for a bit. They're good trains otherwise but yes they are becoming tired.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It’s regularly been posted that there are no plans to replace the SN 313s during the present franchise.

Why would they waste their time on life expired units. Makes no odds to them whether they are DOO or not especially since they only run along the coast and all the Coastal depots sign them. It's not like they regularly have to cancel them due to a shortage of conductors either, and a Conductor if available can still cover OBS work. It is also not worth the hassle and GTR know that. They are coming into the final two years of the franchise and they are trying to focus on improving performance they have already met all their franchise obligations by now apart from getting the core stations up to a full 24tph service.

The fleet will no doubt be replaced as said above in the next franchise along with the 455s. Either they will procure a new fleet for the Metro area and cascade all the 377s to the Coast or they could just use 376s or another available electric train once they become available.

Fincra5

Established Member
Apparently these conductor operated trains are being fitted with DOO monitors
I wonder how many more years these will be around
Interiors are very shabby due to people putting their feet on the seats and the window surrounds look very worn

3 car trains are not long enough on the west coastway route and they get very hot in the summer

Hopefully a replacement is around the corner. I'm not anti old trains but these ones feel quite nasty and worn out

A rumour. There are no plans to fit DOO Equipment to 313s which will be gone in a few years.
I don't mind 313s at all, they serve their purpose well - perhaps not suited for Portsmouth but West Worthings, Hoves, Seafords and the Littlehampton-Pompey Stoppers, they fit the bill fine. Outside of Peak Hours a 3car unit is absoultely fine for the coast.

I drive them and they're fine, alright they have faults - like 377s do.

They also aren't going to be replaced in this Franchise. Unless the DfT - who pull all the strings on the franchise - decide to.

aleggatta

It is worth noting, that it was talked about at the time of the class 700 introduction, about the 377/5's moving to Southern to replace the 313s which would also allow a couple of peak time lengthening, I think this was when the C6's were just taking place on the 313's, so there has been serious considerations to replace them during the franchise period (outside of franchise commitments) however the DfT made the sublease thing work with SE (I think there were difficulties with the maintenance needing to be written into the franchise for the sublease units?)

sarahj

Established Member
TBH, even in peak hours they are rarely full for long, even leaving Brighton full and standing, by the time you get to Portslade seats are available. Most standing I see in busy times, is just due to folks not moving down. On Friday night I was working a shuttle service from Lewes during Football. We left Lewes with the middle coach packed solid. In coach 3 you could have 4 seats to yourself. No matter how much you point this out, folks just jumped onto the doors at the bottom of the stairs. Their main issue is lack of toilets (esp for me stuck on them for up to 4 plus hours at a time). AC, but with the windows open and on the move they are ok. Feet on seats, young or old. The only other issue is some mech issues, and big blue fails at least once a week.

387star

On Moderation
TBH, even in peak hours they are rarely full for long, even leaving Brighton full and standing, by the time you get to Portslade seats are available. Most standing I see in busy times, is just due to folks not moving down. On Friday night I was working a shuttle service from Lewes during Football. We left Lewes with the middle coach packed solid. In coach 3 you could have 4 seats to yourself. No matter how much you point this out, folks just jumped onto the doors at the bottom of the stairs. Their main issue is lack of toilets (esp for me stuck on them for up to 4 plus hours at a time). AC, but with the windows open and on the move they are ok. Feet on seats, young or old. The only other issue is some mech issues, and big blue fails at least once a week.

The seats are quite uncomfortable too although they are also fitted to 455s and some 377s. Not sure they are called ironing boards but they are near enough. On a 313 the armrests slope down which is unusual

I guess there was no alternative to seats facing each other although some gave dreadful window alignment regardless

Still think it's weird having mixed OBS/Conductor depots especially Barnham and Brighton who have no 171s. Guess it's settled in now but one can only assume all will be OBS soon

Fincra5

Established Member
The seats are quite uncomfortable too although they are also fitted to 455s and some 377s. Not sure they are called ironing boards but they are near enough. On a 313 the armrests slope down which is unusual

I guess there was no alternative to seats facing each other although some gave dreadful window alignment regardless

Still think it's weird having mixed OBS/Conductor depots especially Barnham and Brighton who have no 171s. Guess it's settled in now but one can only assume all will be OBS soon

Not sure how its any different from Eastbourne Depot... We have guards still (thankfully), as we have trains without DOO Equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.