• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

450 desiro stopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChampsRacing

Talking of 450s on the reading route, yesterday 8car 458 failed at waterloo 450548 sent on the 13:50 Reading by itself.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
5 car units would be used in pairs to provide for the 10 car strengthened suburban routes that currently use 450/5s; Windsors, Hounslow loop, Weybridge etc.

So as you've surmised 450s would have to transfer to the Readings - it isn't clear yet if they'd be reverted to the normal 450 layout, but it seems likely if there's any sort of First Class usage on that route.

The 450/5s would be converted back to 450/0 (a simple job as the 1st Class reading lights, sockets and curtain rails have been retained) and merged back into the fleet with the Reading line reverting to being diagrammed with 450/0s as it was prior to the reintroduction of the 458s.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The 450/5s would be converted back to 450/0 (a simple job as the 1st Class reading lights, sockets and curtain rails have been retained) and merged back into the fleet with the Reading line reverting to being diagrammed with 450/0s as it was prior to the reintroduction of the 458s.

Making it obvious why the 450/5 conversion didn't go beyond the 'point of no return'...

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

is the 460 rebuild stil taking place? If not is there the money to use these on the portsmouths?

It is yet to be confirmed or denied. Clearly something ought to happen soon, if only to make use of all the platform extensions currently underway on the Windsor side of the SWT suburban area.

The reason they won't be used on the Portsmouth line without an internal conversion is that the 460s would reduce capacity on the route quite considerably, as they'd have to displace existing trains, all of which have more seats.

Last edited:

Urban Gateline

Established Member
You say that but the last couple of days there have been 3 458 sets and only 2 450 sets on the Ascot branch. I have heard about the depot (now this is just a rumour) that soon it will only be 458's operating on the Guildford - Ascot Branch.

458's must be a major pain for doing any sort of revenue duties, since they don't have door control panels in coaches but only on the rear unit of a 4 coach 458 or middle and rear of an 8 coach 458. I think these units are inadequate on the Reading services. 450's would be much better as the Guard could actually walk down the train and check/sell tickets!

I've been on the Guildford to Ascot service recently, and seen the mix of 458's and 450's, again having 458's on this line sacrifices alot of revenue, the amount of people I saw boarding and alighting who had probably not purchased a ticket and travel on that line regularly (Yes those are assumptions but I'm probably right!)

I prefer the interior of 450's to 458's, they are more modern and clean, something I think the Reading commuters would appreciate, also factor in the possibility of 12 coach 450's on that line and you solve overcrowding during the peaks (Yes I know there might not be spare stock from this and I'm aware some of the platforms can't accomodate the whole length of a 12 coach 450)

NSE

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the luggage vans are going for scrap, that was what I last heard anyway.

That sounds like such a waste of train to me personally. If these units could be turned AC and given to another airport run, such as Heathrow to give the 332's to Northern. All hypothetical of course (even maybe the recently discussed Manchester airport express ;) ;) )

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
That sounds like such a waste of train to me personally. If these units could be turned AC and given to another airport run, such as Heathrow to give the 332's to Northern. All hypothetical of course (even maybe the recently discussed Manchester airport express ;) ;) )

Or even for departmental use?

tempests1

How about swapping some 450s for 455s to overcome the people of Portsmouth's hatred of 'blue trains' with 2+3 seating?

Red trains with 2+2 seating - job done... <D

Not just the people of Portsmouth. Also Havant/Petersfield/Haslemere etc etc!! :(
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If they want white trains then... 458s? :D

I'd happily do Portsmouth Harbour - Waterloo on one, as long as I have a backwards facing window seat on the 3 side.

Juniper's have been used on service's to Haslemere

NSE

Established Member
Or even for departmental use?

Sounds good to me!
Although I think with companies like Northern crying out for stock (which I personally think they deserve) it would be such a shame to not be able to find some way of finding perfectly fit rolling stock, such as the 460's, a job.
Yeah it may be designed for airport runs, but 8, 8-car units would enhance capacity, and I should imagine a luggage van could be great for standing in the peaks!

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Sounds good to me!
Although I think with companies like Northern crying out for stock (which I personally think they deserve) it would be such a shame to not be able to find some way of finding perfectly fit rolling stock, such as the 460's, a job.
Yeah it may be designed for airport runs, but 8, 8-car units would enhance capacity, and I should imagine a luggage van could be great for standing in the peaks!

I was only thinking of the luggage vans, I can see the headline now, "launch of cattle class"!!

NSE

Established Member
I was only thinking of the luggage vans, I can see the headline now, "launch of cattle class"!!

Well any of it really! It'd be such a waste to just see the units sitting around doing nothing!

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Well any of it really! It'd be such a waste to just see the units sitting around doing nothing!

Well hopefully that 458-460 project for SWT will go ahead and then its just the luggage vans that are left!

ChampsRacing

The luggage vans will be converted into standard coaches according to rail and a few other magazines earlier this year when this proposal was first brought up. The plan was/is to take off the cab put in windows and put in new doors onto the coaches. But thats if it all goes ahead DFT where supposed to make an announcement this month but nothing as of yet.

gswindale

Please don't take the 458s off th Reading line. They're much more comfy than the 450 or 455 that sometimes replace them!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Please don't take the 458s off th Reading line. They're much more comfy than the 450 or 455 that sometimes replace them!

They will definitely leave the Reading line IF the 458/460 combination plan is confirmed, no doubts whatsoever.

There's no other possible way of matching up the resulting 10 car trains with the routes that are presently getting platform extensions.

RobShipway

Established Member

I would have to disagree as the Class 450 gives a smoother ride when travelling on it into Waterloo than the class 458's do with their harder suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.