455 at Weymouth

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by embers25, 24 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. embers25

embers25 Established Member

Does anyone know why there is a 455 stabled at Weymouth as it seems a bit lost? I think it's destination said Dorking on one side and Olympia on the other?

2. Domh245

Domh245 Established Member

That is the 455 undergoing tests of the new AC traction motors. I think it is 5732

3. 455driver

455driver Veteran Member

Can this be made a sticky?
    This is about the 5th time somebody has asked about this!

4. dgl

dgl Member

Yep 5732 currently in jubilee sidings

5. embers25

Thanks for the replies and sorry 455 driver as couldn't search threads as it wasn't working due to poor mobile signal on train.

6. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Established Member

To be honest it's news to me, can't believe I didn't know about it-and I work for SWT!

7. 455driver

455driver Veteran Member

The search facility doesn't work all that well unless you get the correct search criteria in the box.

Its probably because of the gaps in between their visits and people forget.

That section of line is used as the test track, it was used when they were setting the 458s up to regenerate when braking etc.

For a 'boring' bit of track with a predictable train service it sees quite a bit of variety!

8. HowardGWR

HowardGWR Established Member

I don't mind in the slightest how often threads are repeated. This was new to me.

9. dgl

dgl Member

Here is a pic from earlier today, front/rear lights were both red and there seems to be fans running on the motor coach

Attached Files:

Last edited: 24 May 2015
  10. embers25

I thought I saw Olympia! I assume given the single track section from Dorchester that testing takes place overnight?

Whilst we are on the subject of trains in strange places. I noticed 2 red 456's in Northam on Friday afternoon. Is that a common occurrence as I thought they were tested in Wimbledon but I don't usually get that far very much (Hopefully this wasn't asked before either as I'm home now but search still hates me!)?

11. TEW

TEW Established Member

455s and 456s are going to Northam to use the wheel lathe at the moment whilst Wimbledon's is upgraded. 158s and 159s are visiting FGW's depot at St Phillips Marsh for the same reason.

12. BobUK45

BobUK45 Member

Is there third rail in Weymouth ? thought they only ran on third rail power?

13. Jonny

Jonny Established Member

Yes, the third rail runs all the way from Waterloo to Weymouth. SWT services to Weymouth are normally all 3rd rail EMU.

14. NSEFAN

NSEFAN Established Member

The units will still be powered off of 3rd rail, but the traction motors are being replaced with AC ones as these will be more efficient and require less maintenance than the old DC EE507 ones currently fitted. Inverters will be fitted to convert the DC to AC.

15. HarleyDavidson

HarleyDavidson Established Member

You should expect it to be joined by 5870 which IIRC is the one being done at the moment, this will allow them to see how they work as a pair and to sort out any remaining glitches (if there are any).

16. Juniper Driver

Juniper Driver Established Member

I did,something about re-tractioning and test runs.I bet some Bournemouth bark has put those destinations up.:p

They generally do the test runs down there don't they?

Plus other places I guess.I'd love to see it ,can anyone get a pic?

Thanks for the pic,just saw it re-trawling the thread.:p

Last edited: 28 May 2015
  17. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

I wonder if they go to Weymouth specifically to test regenerative braking into the supply side, because there is something about that end of the route that makes it easier to do controllable and repeatable testing. For instance a great big gradient, and once the daily timetable ends no other trains running about to be affected?

What makes me think that might be the case is that only the first couple of 458/5 conversions went down there for some sort of testing, suggesting it is something that only the first few of a class undergoes?

18. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Established Member

The picture appears to show 5732 on an non-electrified siding, or is the other end on a powered section?

19. Juniper Driver

Good point,never noticed that.(Doh) although it could still be on third rail up the other end,plus the tail lights look like they are on,although this does not necessarily mean it's on the juice.So if it was gapped how would they get it out?

Last edited: 28 May 2015
  20. NSEFAN

NSEFAN Established Member

I believe there is an inspection pit in that siding, which part of the Jersey sidings. It is not completely electrified but I should think that the unit was left with at least one shoegear on the electrified section!

21. Juniper Driver

Well I can't hear the MA running.:(

22. dgl

dgl Member

Pretty sure it is electrified, and looking at bing maps there seems to be 3rd rail either side of the inspection pit.

23. Robbies

Robbies Established Member

From memory of times that I have been down to Weymouth, there is a section of track that is partly third rail and the other part there is no third rail to it. I think you will find though that the third rail track is actually out of shot at the other end of the Unit, from where it is gaining power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.