• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

47403 The Early Years, 2 Trips to Crewe

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler9

Established Member
Some brilliant reads there mate, fair dos! Really enjoying the insight into the past, I just wish I could have been there.

I know what you mean about your first proper pay packet, it's an awesome feeling isn't it! Just doesn't go far mind :lol:

59003 is a requirement for me, I think I saw it at Edge Hill yesterday but not convinced I did as while it was in GBRf colours and had a metal number plate like the other 59/0s, I wasn't expecting it so only just glimpsed it. Really hoping it was that one, as I'd love to be able to mark it off!

As always with your trip reports, I look forward to the next part!

I think you can confidently say it was 59003. It has been sat outside Edge Hill for a few weeks now. It was certainly there at about 15:15 yesterday when I passed on the 15:05 Parkway to Lime Street, still there today. Put it this way I messaged a mate yesterday to ask if there was something wrong with it because it hadn't moved for ages. If you aren't comfortable counting that then get back to Liverpool soon, it is likely to be sat there a little while longer. It will be bringing the Biomass trains up from the docks which I understand haven't started in earnest yet.

Apologies for going off topic.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'd be shocked if it was owt else to be perfectly honest! I am considering a return to Merseyside soon, maybe even next month!

fowler9

Established Member
I'd be shocked if it was owt else to be perfectly honest! I am considering a return to Merseyside soon, maybe even next month!

Put it another way, there has been one day in the last three weeks or more when I've seen anything else in that siding and it was 66709, and 59003 was still right next to it.

Apologies for digressing 47403. :D

Established Member
Put it another way, there has been one day in the last three weeks or more when I've seen anything else in that siding and it was 66709, and 59003 was still right next to it.

Apologies for digressing 47403. :D

hey no need to apologise at all, its a railway thread if it goes another route, so be it.:D:D

Established Member
It is after all a conversation basically, and they go off topic all the time!

Exactly tech, all part of the fun, in my opinion, add your own nostalgic peice to this, if you want, more the merrier I say.

I may get the rest of the story done later this week, busy week ahead, I'll try my best to get the rest done ASAP.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So we get back to Temple Meads, we all barge off the coach and as were getting off were told everyone back on the coach for half 3.

In those 2 hrs we got a fair few 50's underlined, the star one being 50007 Sir Edward Elgar, Glen and I had seen a fair few of the Hoovers, passing school when they were on the Donny Test Trains but we'd never heard them properly, I loved the sound of them amd still do to this day. Another major cop was none other than33109, it was a huge cop for all 3 of us and totally unexpected, so unexpected I took a photo:o:o and had it not been for John's elbow, being in the shot, it probably would've been my best ever photo, worth noting, I didn't take many photo's basically because I'm not very good at it.

The time flew by, before long we were making our way back to the coach, John, Glen and I, had copped a fair few and we jumped on the coach and after a quick numbers check, we set off for Cardiff. This is when the trip will get interesting Glen said, then adding, the next 3 or 4 depots will be massive for us. John and I agreed but I had something else on my mind, I said, we are going to Cardiff tonight?, Glen looked at me, like I'd just crapped on his mothers favourite rug, so much so, even John, shot him a glance, before Glen said, Aye!!!!!!, You dont think I'm gonna come all this way and sit in Barry Island watching the world go by from my room did you. Just checking, I said.
After what seemed to take ages we got to Canton, outside was busy enough, 37428 was a big cop for a start, after what seemed a dogs age, 2 guys came out, half this side, half that side please and off we went, the place was huge, we docked Welsh DMU's, various 37/6/7 and 8's, John put a huge dint in the 37's from the original 308. Glen also got 56038 Western Mail off his requirements and the gronks, any we saw, we all clicked:D:D. We stood near the bus awaiting others coming off the depot, having a ciggy, I said to John, that was up there with Eastfield, he said, I think I clicked more here than Eastfield, we were buzzing.

The main man, said, you enjoy that lads, John said, nah, it was crap, I only docked about 3 quarters of what was on, the main man started laughing and said, oh, Im sorry, better luck at Landore, ya cheeky git.:lol::lol: We sat down and looking and comparing our lists, we couldn't believe how good Canton was, I'd heard it was a good Depot, if you could get round but I didnt expect that. We were still yacking when we got to Landore.

It was about half 6 by now. 2 negotiators went in, 5mins later, 2 negotiators came out got on the bus, I said, oh look, theyre back sharp, doesn't look good this, then they got off and disappeared again, this time bearing gifts, 5mins later we got the nod, glad we did too, there was 37's everywhere, the odd 47, the odd gronk too, this was cop central, I remember seeing one of the then cornish 37 namers, amongst the welsh heavyweights,Tre Pol and Pen, for some strange reason I'd always wanted to see this one and here it was, no prizes for guessing 37671 was certainly a cop for me, John and Glen, almost everything apart from the 47's were a cop for me and I think John needed one of the 47's too. With time marching on, we were given an alternative, do Margam now and have less time at Cardiff, or make our way to the digs in Barry and do Margam in the morning, with the rest of the stabling points and have the evening to yourselves, sooner ather than later.
The general consensus was go to Barry now, so off we set for Barry, arriving however long later, we went in this Hotel and to say it looked dated was being kind, it'd obviously been a grand place at one time. We checked in got our keys and set off to look in the room, basic fare, John opened the wardrobe door and a bit of the door trim came off, a few years later I remember watching Rising Damp and Phillip handing a peice of wood from his wardrobe to Rigsby, telling him it was love wood, that always reminds me of that Hotel in Barry. Glen and Maxy came to see our room, Glen looked in the mirror above the sink and it litterally slid down the wall, Glen started laughing, saying, wooah, Im not that ugly it didn't break but I think I scared it, we were all in kinks. I got washed and changed and so did John and we went downstairs, some of the lads went over the Railway Club accross the road, so we followed and for a short while played pool, getting ourselves a Brains bitter shandy, before jumping aboard the coach to Cardiff Central.

to be continued tomorrow................

Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
Enjoyed reading your reports. Bit or a large catch up to be honest as I haven't been on here much lately. Did I miss something though? St Blazey? You seemed to be heading south and then went back up to Cardiff!

Established Member
Enjoyed reading your reports. Bit or a large catch up to be honest as I haven't been on here much lately. Did I miss something though? St Blazey? You seemed to be heading south and then went back up to Cardiff!

think you got confused Noddy, sorry if thats my writing. I'll double check that

Friday./Saturday
Newcastle Central- Gateshead-Stockton(pick up only) Saltley-Bescot-Gloucester-Swindon- Reading-Didcot- Bristol Temple Meads(2hours)-Westbury- Meldon Quarry-Merehead(Depot Visit)- Bristol Temple Meads(2hours)-Cardiff Canton-Landore-Margam- Barry Island, overnight stay in Barry. Those wishing to go to Cardiff Central for the evening, the coach will leave an hour after check in and return back to Barry Island from Cardiff at 11pm.
Sunday
Various Stabling points in South Wales-Exeter-St Blazley- Plymouth-Laira(depot visit)-Acton Yard-Knottingley.

Last edited:

Kristofferson

Well finally caught up with these! Great stuff, one of the best collections I've read on here :) sounds like a proper good time and I'm looking forward to more!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
South Wales certainly was good to you fair play!

I've been fortunate never to have a hotel quite that bad, cheap is rarely cheerful!

Established Member
Part 3

It was about half 8ish when we got to Cardiff Central, so we really didnt have that long there to be honest, however we managed to scratch off some welsh units and a few freight trains came through, obviously not as much as we'd have liked but we weren't kidding oursekves, whenever has many freoght trains ran on a Saturday evening, the sight of cop 37426 arriving and terminating, with a rake of coaches, set something away, Glen had one of his lightbulb moments, he said, lets go up to the next station on something loco hauled and wait for one of those back, pointing at the 37. John said, you think we'll have time, for once in his life, Glen never had his timetable, he'd left it on his kitchen table, at home. No such thing as as a mobile, nevermind, such a thing as a real time trains app then. Glen waltzed off and came back 5mins later, we get to Newport we'll have about 25-30mins fester, for the next one back.

We found the ticket office and got 4(Maxy had joined us, his dad would wait for us at Cardiff) returns to Newport. We boarded winner and a cop for us all, 47600 Dewi Sany/Saint David on what service, I couldn't tell you but I was head out the front window, telling everyone what a Welsh Beast it was, as we were leaving, bailing obviously at Newport, I can't honestly remember a lot going through Newport bar a 47 but it went whizzing through on some freight. We were sat on some benches, looking up the line, when we heard a horn in the distance, we saw, 3 lights appear in the dark, then heard the growl and into the light come a wonderful sight, of a large logo 37, Glen just went wooooaaah, John, Maxy and I just went, Get In!!!!!, the 4 of us marched up towards the front coach as 37429 Eisteddfod Genedlaethol pulled in, we were eccsatic, Glen and John got the very front windows, whilst Maxy and I got the next windows down, John Glen and I, were no stranger to 37 haulage but this was our maiden voyage behind one of the 37/4's and as usual with any 37, they were always a pleasure to ride behind, it just topped the whole day off, although by now, we were all absolutely clamming. As we came into the Platform at Cardiff we waved at Maxy's Dad and other lads from the trip. We bailed off and went up to look at the 37 and watch her leave, I have to admit, she looked impressive and I'd just been hauled by her. I remember after I'd been hauled by 37401, on the Cumbrian Coast turn earlier, this year, I stood watching 37401 leave Carlisle up to Kingmoor and it brought this memory back then, I stood smiling to myself, as I am now writing this. WE were snapped out of the day dream of watching 429 leave by Maxy's Dad, come on lads, the coach will be waiting, we made for the coach, when I asked John and Glen if they had any grub left, John had crisps, I had a packet of custard creams and a couple of Wagon Wheels left, Glen had a box full of sarnies but they were at the hotel. We asked the driver of the coach if he'd seen any chippy's on the way, he hadn't but said, if we saw one, he'd stop and let us get some. Unfortunately I cant recall us stopping anywhere, so I imagine, the 4 of us, just sat in 1 room and polished off, glens sarnies, johns crisps and my biscuits, washed down with some warm bottle of pop.

The trip so far had been brilliant to us, I'd copped gronks, Gloucester's very own rushton shunter 97653, a couple of 31's, a 33, a load of the welsh 37's, 47600 and 47901, a few 50's, namely 50149 and 007 among them, the 59's in one foul swoop, 3 58's, a fair ole chunk of welsh units and coaching stock too.
Needless to say we all went to bed, exhausted but happy and with the siding just down the road to explore in the morning before Margam, before ventuing round South Wales, picking off locos in various welsh stabling points to look forward to, before we even ventured down into Devon and Cornwall. It was an exciting thought but all I wanted was sleep.

I conked out before my head hit the pillow, waking at 7am, well I say waking, someone brayed on the door and woke us up. I nipped along the corridor into the shower and toilet block, the showers reminded me of the ones we used to use, when I was at school. Least they were hot but you had to press the bloody button every 2mins to keep the water going, I quickly got dressed and told John to hurry his backside up and went downstairs for my breakfast and a cup of coffee.

Glen was already tucking in, I asked if he'd knocked on the door, he said, aye for 10mins:oops::oops:. I ordered my breakfast and went over to get some juice, I collared the main man with a Cheery Morning, as he was grabbing some toast or something, he grunted back, aye morning son, you ok? aye, I said, a bit better than you, I think, he just puffed out his cheeks and said, some of us didnt come out the railway club till nearly midnight, I laughed, mainly because I was unaware of the evils of drink the morning after, the night before. I said, oh by the way, the London trip, can you count John, Glen and I in for it. He looked at me and said, I'll catch you up later but ok. John eventually arrived, as I was finishing off my breakfast, I've ordered yours mate, you've just gotta tell the wifey(Geordie slang for woman, in this case the waitress), your down. I told him. By half 8, quarter to 9, we were all saying goodbyes to the hotel and making towards the stabling point about 200 yds up the road, there was about half a dozen 37's on. We quickly got them and made back to the coach and set off for Margam.

Off we went about 9.30 to Margam not really knowing what to expect, the main man had recovered slightly to get on the mic, Morning folks, we're off to Margam now, if we get round, lets get round sharpish, then we can go round a few stabling points, pick off the locos and away. Remember we've got to be at Laira for half 2, 3 at the very latest.

We got to Margam, after a few mins we got the nod, we walked into the place and ir was heaving, predominantly 37's but there was 47 and 56's, as well as a few gronks too. It was awesome, we clicked a load of the 37's, I took a photo of John between 37894 and 37901, which were big cops for us too, Glen also clicked 47317 Wilesden Yard which looked ex works and looked immense, Glen also wiped 56055 off his list, meaning he'd wiped 3 out of the 5, he needed for sight, the 37's were certainly keeping me busy, as were the gronks. I walked into a small shed, thinking there's sure to be a gronk in here, there wasn't but 56069 was, my last grid for sight, how I kept a lid on it, I dont know but I said, John theres a 56 in here mate, shout Glen over, inside I was screaming, get in, get in, ha ha ha, yes, yes yes, when Glen walked in with John, I was beaming ear to ear, Glen laughed and said, oh well, John will be happy, John just looked and went, I dont need it. I said, I know you dont but I do, it took a bit for John to twigg but the penny dropped eventually, oh your last one, ah cracking, well done mate. I said, now will you F'in stop with this how many 56's do you need malarkey, before we all broke into hysterics, John turned and said it to Glen, Glen laughed and whilst rubbing his chin mockingly said, hmmm, how many times have I seen 47580 again, whislt counting 1 2 3, before we all laughed whilst wakling off Margam. 47580 was one of John's much needed gap fillers, in his platform 5, we both needed 47596 too but Glen and I always ribbed him about 47580, in fact everytime I see it these days be it on the rails or photo's on line or in a magazine, I always laugh and think of John.

In less than half an hour, we'd done the shed and were back on the bus after a ciggy, the main man was flat out on the front seat, we were buzzing and laughed at him but left him alone. We raced round South Wales, going to places like Radyr, Aberthaw and a few others, sure someone on here will?, that I can't for the life of me remember, not going round them, just picking off what we could with bino's, the odd gronk and welsh 37's, we must've got about 80% of them 37's numbered from 684 to 906. The cops just kept growing big time.

However we bade farewell and made off towards Devon and Cornwall, the driver took a break at a services. so we had our eyes ripped out getting bottles of pop etc, before too long the main man, said we'd have a brief look in Exeter St Davids, before we hit the stabling point, we marched round that, where the was a few required 50's, maybe a gronk too, I maybe wrong here but there may even have been a 33 on there but I can't be totally sure, maybe that was a later visit
From there it was off to St Blazley, where another stabling point/depot was done, some of the cornish 37's were scratched off here as well a gronk, we got stuck at a level crossing, where we clicked another 37, in tandem with 37207 Willliam Cookworthy Glen thought he needed it, John said he definitely did, Glen confirmed he did too, I needed the nameplate for sure. We doubled back and made our way back up to Laira, calling at Plymouth Station first, being a Sunday there wasnt a great deal about, the odd tram, which we probably needed at the time and the odd unit, nothing too startling but we only had roughly half an hour to kill, before we'd go for the depot visit. We left the station and made our way to Laira, I remember pulling up outside Laira Depot and seeing lines of 50's and 47's, we were like, look at this lot!!!.

THE VISIT WAS AWESOME, our guide was excellent, telling us what was in for what repairs, refurbs and exams, even took some of us down underneath the loco's into the maintenance pit, can you imagine that nowadays?, its hard enough to get a depot visit. thanks to the Health and Safety goons. Was really weird seeing the underside of a loco but equally fascinating, our guide seemed very fond of the 50's. After what seemed like 10mins but was actually an hour and a half, we'd done the lot, so he told us, to stand at this point and await the other party to catch up, he went away and came back with a pile of the new Laira depot stickers, clear ones with the boat on, between the LA (Im presuming it was meant to be the ship, the Mayflower) and asked if we'd be interested in buying a sticker for a £1 apiece, we all bought one, even the following party did, mine went straight on my hardbacked notebook and fit perfectly. Glen, chirped up and said to the guide, excuse me, if I give you £2, can I take one of the 50's home to go with this sticker, we all laughed and the guide said, I'll run that past my boss first. We put a huge dint in our 50's requirements there, obviously the gronks were all needed, the odd 37 was copped too, 47650 was a big cop too. We got on the bus and it was like wow, what a place, getting the shed sticker added to the thrill of it and the guide was brilliant. However the downside was now, we'd be journeying homewards, we'd been promised Didcot, on the way home, so going to Acton was scratched, we weren't too bothered though. It meant we could settle down and get some kip for the long journey home, it was as well.

Didcot was off the bus, get what was lying round and back on the bus and away. Aaprt from a gronk, there wasn't much I needed there, we had a few service station breaks but nothing in the way of a railway persuasion. The main man, now a lot better, came up to see John, Glen and I. London trip lads, I hear your wanting to go, we all said, aye definitely, I said, can we pay a deposit?, he said, I know you lads will turn up but if you want to, thats not a problem, we all gave him a fiver apiece, he sat with us asking, how the trip had went, top notch stuff we all agreed, I asked, are we stopping anywhere else or just a straight run home now? Depeds on time, some lads have work tomorrow, I'm told.

We were on that bus for what seemed like an eternity, when it was announced, we'd shortly be stopping at Ferrybridge services and after that we'd stop outside Knottingley and let you's pick of what you can, we wont go and try and get round but you can have 15mins to see what you can, there was a 58 on but not a 1, I needed. I would've loved a walk round, there was loads on but we couldn't ID a lot because of the dark but Glen had more luck, somehow he'd had the fortune of 56021 and 56030, his last 2 grids, being on the line nearest the bank side, he was positively shouting all types of weird and wonderful stuff, it certainly topped a great weekend for him for sure, we got one more gronk added to the list of cops but all too soon we were on the bus, for the final run home.

After drop offs on Teeside, Sunderland, Washington, Birtley services and Gateshead, we were home, suitably shattered but our Platform 5's were all the better for it, it was well after midnight, when I got in the house, my step mother was waiting up for me, she asked if I'd had a good time, to which I said, aw fantastic, just need a cuppa then I'm going to bed. I had a cuppa, said goodnight and slept till well after 10 the next morning, I knocked for John but he was still asleep, so I went back and marked everything up.

I cant remember the exact numbers but I coped in the region of 250-300 locos, units and coaching stock on that trip. It was one of the best trips, I'd EVER had, some great laughs and moments and in the space of 4 days, the 3 of us all cleared the Grids:o:o. Isn't it also amazing how some stuff sticks in the memory like John's and Glen's required stuff but I cant remember some of them stabling points in Wales.

Ayway I hope you've enjoyed this, its been a great memory to recall, thanks for your time and kind words on previous posts. many thanks

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
That was a brilliant end and I thoroughly enjoyed the read! Strange that you all cleared your grids!

Kristofferson

Flipping 'eck, what a read and what a trip! :) I'll be first in line for the audio book after reading it in a northern accent in my head...

Established Member
More good stuff, there.
I remember the departmental class 97/6 very well.
I think 97653 was the one that ended up dumped, in derelict condition, at Reading for many years.

As for the shunter at Merehead, it will have been this beast:https://www.flickr.com/photos/36034...tb6-ecTXUk-qmbf6e-yMfLYs-mDUEwg-qKR9Nq-qTtQSB (Not my photo).
It's still going strong if the date on this photo is correct: https://www.flickr.com/photos/95155...xAJ-frEyVj-gaFy2E-mdMtTD-9sAQHM-bzjq4F-cgxkAm (Also not mine).

Oh, and 429 was the best 37/4 by far :). I miss it - RIP 37429.

Established Member
That was a brilliant end and I thoroughly enjoyed the read! Strange that you all cleared your grids!

Many thanks fishquinn, much appreciated.

It was quite weird but when I think about it, I think we all cleared our grids roundabout the same time was because we 3 always tripped together, only holidays away with the family, saw us get different loco's whilst the others were away, plus sometimes on my dinner from work, I'd pop into Central and click some they didn't obviously see and I'd been into the hobby a lot longer too. How John cleared them first though, I know he had family down South, he'd go and visit twice a year and see stuff on the train down, that we hadn't obviously seen. Glen's family always went abroad and he played catch up but he wasn't adverse to going out himself and finding stuff too, his required grids, the majority were welsh stalwarts too, we'd been to Kottingley 3 times, standing on the bank side and been round twice with the coach trips, plus having done the Notts Area, add Tyne Yard, York and Donnie into the equation, it wasn't really a surprise we knocked them off so rapidly, then Wales finished them for me. John getting his last one at Gateshead, on the friday morning before the trip was just plain jammy, I mean howay, 56074, it was common as muck, up here, how he kept missing I'll never know:roll::roll::lol::lol:.

Kris said;-
Flipping 'eck, what a read and what a trip! I'll be first in line for the audio book after reading it in a northern accent in my head...
I'd watch a few episodes of Auf Wiedersen Pet first and get yourself aquainted with the Geordie Accent first or go on youtube and listen to Lee Mack on the Geordie accent, before listening to an audio book containing my accent, I think tech, only just managed to understand me, way back in June but many thanks for the kind words, a great pleasure recounting it, over the moon you enjoyed reading it.

55013 said;-
More good stuff, there.
I remember the departmental class 97/6 very well.
I think 97653 was the one that ended up dumped, in derelict condition, at Reading for many years.

As for the shunter at Merehead, it will have been this beast:https://www.flickr.com/photos/360349...-qKR9Nq-qTtQSB (Not my photo).
It's still going strong if the date on this photo is correct: https://www.flickr.com/photos/951552...-bzjq4F-cgxkAm (Also not mine).

Oh, and 429 was the best 37/4 by far . I miss it - RIP 37429.
Bloody hell thats the boys there alright, Im glad my mind wasn't playing tricks on me, them F&Y shunters were massive.
I didnt know that about 97653, I thought it may have been preserved, I never saw it move, just stabled up.
Again, thanks for the kind words, twas you who originally got me started, with your ALR reports, glad you too enjoyed it though.

Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
Great report! I had many visits to Laira and St Blazey. I wish I had been a bit older when I did it though as my memory is very vague! It was about 25 odd years ago I last went in the depot!

Established Member
Great report! I had many visits to Laira and St Blazey. I wish I had been a bit older when I did it though as my memory is very vague! It was about 25 odd years ago I last went in the depot!

dont know if it was just me Noddy but the whole surrounding area of Laira Depot seemed huge, maybe with the HST Depot being there too, a bit like Old Oak Common, the depot didnt seem the biggest but with the HST and Carriage siding, the whole place was massive.
Thanks for the kind words too.

Lord Tech of Hereford said:-

South Wales certainly was good to you fair play!

I've been fortunate never to have a hotel quite that bad, cheap is rarely cheerful!
I missed this, sorry tech. Yeah it was, very good to us indeed but when you go somewhere you've never been, your always gonna click a load, Cheap and not so cheerful, was about right but in fairness, The bed was fine and the breakfast was good too but the shower and toilet block was a bit weird. The main reception, was a dark ole dingy place, I think the carpet was nigh on older than grass:roll::roll: However it served its purpose and was equally convenient for the stabling point and railway club, which a fair few of the older lads, certainly seemed to enjoy a bit too much:lol::lol:

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Another excellent read Lord Spoon Goon!

A good fast run on a 47 must have felt like heaven at the time! 37429, I don't recall even seeing that one, must have missed it sadly.

Bloody long coach journeys there mind, can't say I'm envious of that :lol:

Established Member
Another excellent read Lord Spoon Goon!

A good fast run on a 47 must have felt like heaven at the time! 37429, I don't recall even seeing that one, must have missed it sadly.

Bloody long coach journeys there mind, can't say I'm envious of that :lol:

Both the 47 and 37 were heaven mate, I still cant pronounce the 37's name and what the hell it was named after remains a mystery, I never ever googled to find out what it meant either:oops::oops:, however she was mighty fine.
The journey from Plymouth to Didcot, Knottingley and home was a marathon and a half mate.
Cheers for the kind words, still hoping someone can come up with the 3 or 4 of the South Wales stabling points, that may ring a bell, sure Newport Dock may have been one, there was another I had to ask how to spell. I may have to google.

Established Member
Eisteddfod Genedlaethol roughly translates as National Festival.
There are several eisteddfods held every year, but the genedlaethol is the biggest.
Apparently.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Really enjoying these reports - lots of reflection with my childhood in the same area.

Days out from Sunderland with the grandparents on the train and metro, Newcastle Central, Tyne yard, Coal trains past my grandparents house on the Leamside line, trips out to York with my mum and dad, Thornaby/Tees Yard getting a bit older and going to Doncaster or Carlsile on my own or with mates, then Crewe or Warrington, then further afield.

Was never allowed on those coach trips though. As i got older i often tied in a football match with a trip somewhere. Although by the time I was really old enough to travel on my own i wasn't interested anymore ;)

Established Member
Eisteddfod Genedlaethol roughly translates as National Festival.
There are several eisteddfods held every year, but the genedlaethol is the biggest.
Apparently.

Wow, thanks for that 55013, I have to say the National Festival, that was 37429, was one hellluva thrash fest indeed.

DarloRich said:-
Really enjoying these reports - lots of reflection with my childhood in the same area.

Days out from Sunderland with the grandparents on the train and metro, Newcastle Central, Tyne yard, Coal trains past my grandparents house on the Leamside line, trips out to York with my mum and dad, Thornaby/Tees Yard getting a bit older and going to Doncaster or Carlsile on my own or with mates, then Crewe or Warrington, then further afield.

Was never allowed on those coach trips though. As i got older i often tied in a football match with a trip somewhere. Although by the time I was really old enough to travel on my own i wasn't interested anymore;)

Yeah them days are long gone, I'm afraid Rich, Thornaby and Gateshead are sadly no more and both Tyne and Tees Yards are a shadow of their former themselves nowadays, however Tees always seemed to get the rarer visitors, loco wise.
By god the Leamside Line, we used to go up and down there, the odd Sunday's with a weekends Northumbrian Ranger, when the Newcastle- Liverpool turns were diverted that way.
Glad I evoked some memories, thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Some fantastic days out there, nice to see how someone in my shoes from Geordieland all those years ago spent their time on the rails :D

Established Member
The London Trip​
(as usual with the background story first)​

With work or in Glen's case college occupying most of our time, trips after the epic trip to Wales and Cornwall, were very thin on the ground, sure we'd done the odd summer Saturday's loco hauled trains, whenever possible and whizzed over to Carlisle again one day, again leccy bashing, as well as hoping to see the class 90's on test too, we were in luck we saw 2, one at the back wall and one come in on test, I still say that Intercity livery they were outshopped in, was the best livery they carried.

However, other things were starting to occupy our minds too, gigs, beer and the opposite sex had suddenly became more alluring but we still met at least once a week to play trains, visiting, Tyne Yard, Central, Gateshead shed and Heaton, well I say Heaton, normally using John Bino's from Chilly Road metro station. It was safe to say, trains were starting to take a back seat. To coin a phrase from Lord Tram, we were entering normaldon.

One particular night I'd rushed home, John, Glen and I had arranged to mee, and go to Tyne Yard, plus we were going to formulate a plan, for when we had the free time in London. I'd came home, got washed and changed, was coming downstairs, when there was a knock on the door, I was expecting it to be John, so shouted, it'll be for me, I'll get it. I opened the door and there was Glen, he normally met John and I on the bank, down to Tyne Yard. Hello mate, what do I owe the honour, when I heard, hello mate, you need any Platform 5 books or Rail Enthusiast, I looked up the garden path and there large as life was, our old friend, Mavis. Jesus, what you doing here, I shouted. Oh my old mans away again, so me and me mother are up visiting the family, much back slapping and good to see ya mate followed, we went for John, who was equally as pleased to see our old mucker.

The walk down to Tyne Yard and the few hours we all had together just flew over, as we talked about the old days, laughing at how Cal and I, argued like hell over peaks and duffs and the secret trip to Crewe. We told Mavis, we'd be in London in a few weeks time, Mavis was living somewhere in Surrey and said, if you ring me when you get dropped off, I'll meet up with you, he turned and pointed to the yard and said, these don't hold any interest with me these days but I'll certainly have a dodge round with you, we agreed. Afterwards we strolled home to my house, were we got a chippy supper and had a few of my Dads cans between us, which I ofcourse had to replace but it was great to catch up.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and John, Glen and I, were off on the friday, so we decided to go to Durham on the loco hauled turn, get some dinner and have a stroll round, without any records, I'm fairly positive, we got 47434 Pride in Huddersfield down, had a few hours in Durham City, a bit bait at some cafe, then came back with 47488 Rail Riders and home to get ready.

We boarded the coach at 7pm and made haste to pick up others in Teeside before whizzing straight down to Doncaster Station, we had roughly half an hour there, picking off what was floating round, before whizzing off to try and get round Doncaster shed/yard, I was desperate to get round there, 08562, was a long standing requirement and major gap filler amongst my many needed gronks, alas, the answer was NO, again!!! Unbowed we ploughed on to Peterborough Station and doing similar there, as we had at Doncaster. I clicked a few units and another gronk. John was smarting a bit because he'd been to Cambridge to see relatives about a month previous and saw the same gronk here, whilst transferring off an HST, he'd also seen his nemesis here 47580 County of Essex, this I knew for fact because he rang my house from his Aunts house to tell me that very same day, whilst moaning, that his Mam n Dad wouldn't get the Liverpool turn to York, despite his protestations, that there was an equal amount of trains, if not more, from York to Peterborough, they'd overuled him using the line, were not carting our luggage all over just so you can get this train or that, apparently he wasn't happy until 47580 appeared and he kinda forgave them:lol::lol::lol:

After a ciggy, we jumped back on the coach and moved on towards March, it was well after midnight, when we got round, plenty 31's, 37's and 47's and a boatload of peaks on a scrap line, Glen was in front of us, with a torch as we strolled between the 2 lines, flanked either side by scrap locos, mainly peaks the odd 47 and a few 08's too, which I also clicked along with the 2 that were working. As we strode past one peak, maybe it was a 46, someone had written in the muck, Thanks for the memories, will miss you RIP, I said something derogatory and Glen laughed, adding get over it man, I said, lend us ye torch Glen, walked back to aforementioned peak and underneath the message, I wrote, Well I certainly wont.:roll::roll: After March, we drove what seemed to be in the middle of nowhere for a lone gronk, parked up somewhere near or at Ely, sure it was a cop for us 3 but John was his usual, all that way for one gronk, I divvent see the point really. Glen just laughed and I said, did you need it? John's answer, was then one I'd come to expect, well aye but thats not the point really is it. I just shook me head and said, oh gan to sleep man.

Time was marching on, we'd all dozed off, when the shout came up the bus, give us 10mins lads, we'll see if we can get round, I muttered where the hell are we and whats the time, Glen said, we're at Nipple Lane, and its about half 4, I think. We were indeed at Ripple Lane, it was a sea of Railfreight grey, I was looking forward to here, we'd put a right old hole in those welsh re-numberd 37's, here was a chance to get some more, this time many of Stratford's, it ddin't disappoint, I secured 37705, 37883, 37686 and 37892 straight off the bat and a couple of others too, the 2 gronks were clicks too. a couple of 47's were on too, their names were needed, however the numbers werent. Still it had been productive. I climbed on the coach, got my flask and climbed back off the bus, had a coffee and a ciggy and collared the main man, handing over the fare and asked, where next and what time will we be dropped off in London, just we're planning to meet a mate at Clapham Jct. Were off to Hither Green next, then to Selhurst, have a break, Stewarts Lane, Stratford, Old Oak Common, Acton Yard hopefully dropping you's off at Ealing Broadway about 1pm ish.

We boarded the bus and 5mins later, the main man come on the mic, change of plan lads, we were gonna drop you off at Ealing Broadway but were now gonna get off at Euston, let you get your travel cards and we'll all go to Wilesden Jct and try and get round Wilesden, after that your free to roam, everyone meet at London KX at 10.30pm, coach leaves at half 11. Glen said if you get my travelcard, I'll find a phone and ring Mavis. Im sure we'll can get to Clapham within 2hrs after Willesden. I said, divvent ask me, I'm lost now, John said, aye, were following you Glen, no pressure mate.

After what seemed a dogs age, we pulled up in the car park at Hither Green, the negotiators went in and 5mins later we were in, 33's, 73's and 09's, were ALL copped, oh this was nice, major major gap fillers indeed, there was about 15 locos on and everyone was a click, it would've been a major surprise if it hadn't, the only 2 33's I, we'd had were 33109 and 33113, 109, we'd seen in Bristol and 33113 we'd seen in Newcastle when it came up with a GatEx promotional train. We boarded that bus with big smiles on our faces. John was asking, whats at Selhurst then? EMU Depot mate I told him, maybe an 09 too. that it? was his response, Glen said, do you have a load of EMU's like John?, no but they're not high on my agenda neither. John wasnt fussed about units he wrote them down and lined them in but it was locos he was after, as many as he could see, he had a major bug bear, as you've no doubt realised, about going anywhere for just 1 loco, wether he needed it or not. It used to drive me mental:lol::lol::lol:

20mins or so later we're at Selhurst and inside the depot not much longer, every unit in there was a click and there was many, let me tell you and there was indeed an 09 in there too, we were told there was another somewhere but wherabouts, I dunno, I certainly never saw it.

We left Selhurst and make haste on the coach, where we're told, were gonna have 45mins break, its about half 7 in the morning and we get dropped off at Clapham Jct Station, I leave the bus last because basically Im scrambling in my bag, getting batteries for the dictaphone. A lot of us besiege the ticket office where everyones basically buying all zones travelcards. I loved Clapham Jct, still do, units flying everywhere, all pretty much copped, another 73 is copped on the GatEx too, as it rockets past, them 45mins just flew, shame it had to end and it was far too early to ring Mavis, even though we did consider it, just for spite:lol::lol:.

to be continued...........................................

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ah the joys of having to use payphones :lol:

A brilliant read Lord Spoon Goon of The Tyne, I was laughing hard on the comment about the Peaks at March :lol:

One helluva productive trip, that's for sure. Oh, and it's Normaldom ;) Or Norm Land, whichever works better :lol:

I know what you mean about Clapham Junction, it's so busy it just has that magic to it. I've fond memories of desperately turning my head left and right every few seconds back in the day to get the ticks in the book. I don't need owt for sight down there now, but I still keep my eyes and ears open for winners for haulage!

Looking forward to rhe next part :)

Kristofferson

Top stuff indeed :)

Clapham is great for seeing trains, not too great for spotting them due to how busy it gets!

Willesden yard is interesting to pass these days - last time I sailed by, there was an ex-Anglia 87, the NR yellow "delivering future signalling" (Thameslink?) 315 (313?) and a faded Intercity Swallow 86 (87?). I haven't done the journey for a month or so now, hence the poor numbers memory!

Established Member
Ah the joys of having to use payphones :lol:

A brilliant read Lord Spoon Goon of The Tyne, I was laughing hard on the comment about the Peaks at March :lol:

One helluva productive trip, that's for sure. Oh, and it's Normaldom ;) Or Norm Land, whichever works better :lol:

I know what you mean about Clapham Junction, it's so busy it just has that magic to it. I've fond memories of desperately turning my head left and right every few seconds back in the day to get the ticks in the book. I don't need owt for sight down there now, but I still keep my eyes and ears open for winners for haulage!

Looking forward to rhe next part :)

Cheers Lord Tram, our first ever spotting trip in London was always going to be a cop fest, especially with the 09's, 33's and 73's, not to mention the EMU's and various other things that we were to see.
here goes for the next part.

London Trip​
(Part 2)​

Onto the coach we went, for the next part, Stewarts Lane, we 3, were especially looking forward to this, I think the whole bus were to be truthful. The traffic was a right slog, it seemed to take bloody ages, then we ended up going through into a back car park, through a coach depot, the bus kind, where the owner conveniently let our coach drver park up, those of the bus fraternity, were eagerly scribbling down reg plates or whatever they do, John, Glen and I, just looked at them, wondering if there wasn't anything with a number on they wouldn't write down, each to their own but busses wasn't our thing. Eventually we got to the entrance of Stewarts Lane, the main man went and seen the foreman, as is now, with all this Health and Safety bollocks, getting a depot visit is probably nigh on impossible these days, the foreman handed out high vis jackets, a new one on me, told us, no crossing over the lines, we'll take you round, just follow us, we'll make sure you see everything on the depot and off we went, we loved it, the 73's for sight were racking up nicely, as were the 33's, seeing the Intercity liveried 09012 Dick Hardy was a bonus, I'd seen pics of it, plus it was one of them double entendre's, that made me smile, my immature mind, no doubt. True to the foremans words, we got everything off the depot, there wasn't loads but there was enough to keep our eyes darting here there and everywhere, standing a few feet away, listening to a required slim jim putting away in the main shed is a memory that will never leave me. Also another thing that we ALL noticed, was how clean and tidy SL was, we'd been round countless depot's and it was safe to say, Stewarts Lane was by far THE most immaculate.

After handing back the high vis jackets, we left the depot towards the bus, having a ciggy on the way, John was saying, well that was well worth it, we all agreed. I think we needed everything off there again. We jumped on the bus and after a quick check to see if everyone was aboard we were off. Another permit visit at Stratford.

It seemed a fair ole hike to get to Stratford but when we got into the car park, John, Glen and I just looked at each other open mouthed, to say there was a fair bit on, was like saying, Jordan's got a fair bit in the clevage department. First thing I noticed was 47596, I said to John, thats a cop for us, LOTS off 47's with white roofs, was heavenly. the place was awash with gronks, sure I heard one of the Teeside lads saying, there was over 20 of them, ok not all of them were servicable, a fair few were on the scrap lines and had been stripped but not since my very 1st big trip away, when we went round Allerton, had I seen as many gronks on one depot. Ofcourse there were ample 31's, 37's and 47's too, we caught up with more of the renumbered protoleum sectored 37's and 47's, the 37's were cops and many of the names on the 47's too. We were in there for a good 45mins to an hour, we clicked a right ole bit in there, my last NB 31 was there too 31225, which left me looking for a handful of 31/4's, I was a happy chap, to say the least. Still I had one more job to do before I left the depot, I walked over to 47596 and planted a kiss on it, John and Glen just shook their heads, I turned to them, held my arms out wide and said, what!!!!!:lol::lol:

Time was marching on, we all got on the coach, saying that was canny, which in Geordie basically means, very good. Next up was Old Oak Common we were really looking forward to this, for one reason, the 50's, we'd rattled a few of on our previous trip away but like Laira, OC was a bastion for them, even though it doesnt seem too far away, the traffic was a pain and about an hour later, the negotiators went in, 10mins later, we were in, Old Oak was huge, especially with the HST and Cariage depot, sitting alongside, the HST & Carriage depot alone almost doubled the cops. Our guide, was excellent, we delved deeper into the depot and everytime there was even more loco's, we surprisingly came accross a Western, was some garish colour, either Orange or Maroon, I seriously can't remember, it may have been D1015, I'm fairly positive it would've been but I'm not totally sure, if Im totally honest. I clicked a fair few of the renumbered 47's, 47628 Sir Daniel Gooch was a cop and like 47484 in the Emerald Green livery, looked very smart indeed, a good few 50's, were clicked too, we were racking up some 50's now, their page in the Platform 5, didn't look as sparse as it did 4months ago. More gronks were scored too, 31448 by the turntable, was another hit, one more 31 off the list, biy of a surprise that one, I was totally unaware the 31/4's got into Old Oak. Unfortunaely all good things come to an end and after a good while we were leaving, we'd done extremely well there, we were in our element and walked back towards the coach, absolutely beaming. all the time we were looking at our watches, time was marching on, it was around 1pm and we still had Willesden to get in yet.

We needn't have worried, its not far, we're told, so much so, they just drove the coach there, we bailed off and set off down the ramp and let the negotiators do their thing, we soon got the wave, to come in, there wasnt a great deal on but the newly painted intercity 87, 87012 was inside the shed there, the snappers got quite excited about that, inside the shed was very little with a handful of electrics parked outside and a gronk added to the ever growing list of cops, I said to Glen, I don't think I've ever seen or clicked as many gronks in my lifetime, he said, aye, we mustve seen about 40 at least on this trip, between Donnie and here. After 20mins we said our thank you's and goodbyes and made for Wilesden Jct station for the ride to Euston, we jumped aboard either a 313 or 317 and were promptly in Euston, a quick circuit of the place, to get what was floating round, the 83 was a big cop for us all, just parked up in the station, I was told, we aint got time for you farting round taking coaching stock mind, I said, aye alright, nee bother, as Glen went and found a payphone to ring Mavis, while John and I went and sourced a cold drink, Glen came back and said, he's gonna meet us around 4 at Clapham. John and I looked at each other, then turned to Glen and said, take us there oh great one, before we all broke into hysterics.

We eventually found the tube station and by the time we worked out which line we needed and suss the right way to go and find the way up to Victoria's concourse, all added to the time, in fact the tube journey took less time than our navigaion in the tube stations:oops::oops:. Arriving at this vast open concourse at Victoria, compared to Central this place was huge, we quickly made our way onto the platforms, picking off what we could with dictaphones before jumping on an EMU to Clapham, we had an hour or so before Mavis would show up, we had uits and the odd 73 whizzing by, when Glen shouted whats this? John and I, turned and saw a 73 coming straight towards us, on the very platform we were stood on, jesus its a pair of Ed's I shouted. With it having coaching stock, at first we thought it was a Railtour or an ECS, then poeple started getting off and others getting on, 73134 and 73131 were cops for us, we jumped on when we heard it was off to Victoria, we weren't missing them, I have no idea, where they came from, we were just plain jammy so and so's, we were positively giddy at our first ever and only 2 Ed's ever for haulage. We bailed off and got back to Clapham on the next EMU pronto. About 20mins later Mavis turned up, hallo lads, you ready to see Big Ben, Tower Bridge and Buckingham Palace, I cant possibly share, what response hr got from us but Mavis said, I take that as a no then, take that whatever way you want, I said. Glen said, get us to Waterloo and Paddington please. Mavis walked us over the bridge to the far platforms and we jumped on to an EMU and off we went, in search of more 50's.
more tomorrow folks..................
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks a lot folks, couldnt agree more Kris,its been about 6months since last there but it still holds the excitement now, albeit no 73's on the GatEx's.

Oh wow, that pic of 47434 is just amazing 55013.

Glad your enjoyig the read, means a lot, many thanks gents.

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Willesden yard is interesting to pass these days - last time I sailed by, there was an ex-Anglia 87, the NR yellow "delivering future signalling" (Thameslink?) 315 (313?) and a faded Intercity Swallow 86 (87?). I haven't done the journey for a month or so now, hence the poor numbers memory!
Both would be 86s; Europhoenix's 86246 and the AC Locomotive Groups' 86213 "Lancashire Witch" respectively.

The Network Rail unit is a 313, which is being used to test ERTMS on the Hertford loop and as you rightly say is also supporting the Thameslink programme.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.