• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

4O05, 07:15 Birch Coppice Freightliner to Southampton M.C.T derailed at Eastleigh (28/01)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

Established Member
How long does it take for the batteries to go flat?

Is there a point at which they can say to staff, you no longer need to remain with the train? Is that when the power has finally run out?

Batteries are designed to last around two hours, though with their age the performance will degrad over time. Our unit was completely flat after just over an hour and a half.

Normally you can't leave a train unattended on a running line (a platform where permissive working is permitted is one exception). However in exceptional circumstances arrangements can be made to berth a train at locations where it normally doesn't happen. In this case after it was clear 1T25 wasn't going to be moving anytime soon it was cleared to leave the train in platform 3 at Eastleigh.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Batteries are designed to last around two hours, though with their age the performance will degrad over time. Our unit was completely flat after just over an hour and a half.

Normally you can't leave a train unattended on a running line (a platform where permissive working is permitted is one exception). However in exceptional circumstances arrangements can be made to berth a train at locations where it normally doesn't happen. In this case after it was clear 1T25 wasn't going to be moving anytime soon it was cleared to leave the train in platform 3 at Eastleigh.
...and you can be reassured it was still there a couple of hours ago when I glanced over from the Bishopstoke Road bridge. Wouldn’t want you to get blamed for losing it... :D

Monty

Established Member
...and you can be reassured it was still there a couple of hours ago when I glanced over from the Bishopstoke Road bridge. Wouldn’t want you to get blamed for losing it... :D

Half expecting it to be sat on bricks minus it's wheels when we eventually retrieve it, it is Eastleigh after all. :E

GB

Established Member
Re container loading...

I can only speak for where I work but container weights are declared by the customer. The containers are also automatically weighed when they are loaded or unloaded to a train or vessel....they are also weighed by reach stackers if this is the method of loading to the train. Any container that weighs above its "plated" weight gets rejected, any container that has the wrong weight will either be rejected by the train preparer (if they are informed) or accommodated if it still fits the loading plan. Likewise any load that has shifted (or possibly shifted) or incorrectly packed or damaged containers are also rejected. Most of this requires communication as once the containers are loaded to the train its nearly impossible for the train preparer to see any issues and the customer declared weight is what is used for the tops list and loading plan.

Last edited:

Edders23

So how does the odd rogue container get through then like the one two or three years back a photo of which went viral which was a tad out of gauge :lol:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Half expecting it to be sat on bricks minus it's wheels when we eventually retrieve it, it is Eastleigh after all. :E
Have they found something else for you to do in the mean time?

Who gets the job of rebooting the train, engineers/fitters or whatever they are correctly called, or drivers?

Monty

Established Member
Have they found something else for you to do in the mean time?

Who gets the job of rebooting the train, engineers/fitters or whatever they are correctly called, or drivers?

Long weekend so I've got the next four days off. 8-)

That said yesterday I was on a different duty and had plenty to do. To be clear when I said 'we' I was referring to the company rather than just myself I doubt I'll be sent up there to retrieve it being a guard. I imagine a driver will be responsible for rebooting it when the power is switched back on.

Last edited:

Brush 4

Why couldn't the stranded unit have been hauled away by diesel via Romsey - run round - to Soton to resume service. Incompatible couplings? Lack of co-operation between rail companies? Unjoined trains on an unjoined up railway.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
BBC story tonight includes:
BBC South transport correspondent Paul Clifton said sources close to the investigation had told him the edges of concrete sleepers had broken beneath the Freightliner train as it crossed a junction.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-51309162
Or possibly put another way, the derailed bogies damaged the sleepers. That’s what one of the NR photos seems to show...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Why couldn't the stranded unit have been hauled away by diesel via Romsey - run round - to Soton to resume service. Incompatible couplings? Lack of co-operation between rail companies? Unjoined trains on an unjoined up railway.
There was a stranded container train in the way, as we discussed on the first page. With significant cancellations everywhere I’d expect it isn’t immediately needed.

hwl

Established Member

Or possibly put another way, the derailed bogies damaged the sleepers. That’s what one of the NR photos seems to show...
but another photo shows some very different sleeper damage further north (earlier)...

Carlisle

Established Member
Meanwhile a post on wnxx suggests the plain lining is to allow for special to location S&C to be built up, and it won’t be quick...
It won’t be the first time in this area that repairs have been delayed for that reason

Monty

Established Member

The number of locomotives with compatible couplings is small, the chances of getting in a reasonable time are small. Plus considering what was actually going on NR and the TOCs had far more immediate problems to deal with. As previously mentioned with all the disruption going on at the moment there is no dire need for it.

No Chance of it continuing in service that day anyway even if we did have a locomotive to drag the train, I don't sign the route between Romsey and Southampton via Redbridge. :lol:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Long weekend so I've got the next four days off. 8-)

That said yesterday I was on a different duty and had plenty to do. To be clear when I said 'we' I was referring to the company rather than just myself I doubt I'll be sent up there to retrieve it being a guard. I imagine a driver will be responsible for rebooting it when the power is switched back on.
I forgot your guard and for a moment thought you were driver.

pompeyfan

Established Member

the way it was explained to me was lateral forces caused fatigue of the sleeper itself. I’m sure all will become clear when the RAIB release their investigation.

on an unrelated note, do you have conversations turned off?

4COR

Do we run a sweepstake on then the media notice the M27 and railway are closed at the same time?

OK - who had 1am on Friday morning? :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-51308527

Motorists have been warned to expect "severe congestion" with the weekend closure of a motorway in Hampshire.

Part of the M27 near Southampton will be shut from Friday evening until Monday morning to allow a bridge to be demolished.

The work coincides with disruption to train services following a derailment at Eastleigh on Tuesday.

Romsey Town Council said traffic could be worse than during the "total disaster" of a closure in 2019.

The work is the final stage of a £19m project to replace the A3057 Romsey Road bridge.

Highways England said bearings supporting the 1970s structure had failed and the bridge beams had developed cracks.

A previous weekend closure in June 2019, to install a new bridge alongside the old one, caused gridlock on roads around Southampton.

Highways England said the motorway would be shut between Junctions 3 and 4 from about 21:00 GMT on Friday until the early hours of Monday morning.

Project manager Andrew Winson said: "That is expected to cause severe congestion in the area.

"It's going to be a longer operation than when we demolished [the western half of the bridge] in September 2018."

Highways England's westbound diversion route shows the same 55-mile detour via the M3 and the A303 that was implemented for previous phases of the work.

Eastbound traffic would again be diverted through the town of Romsey.

Romsey town centre manager Mark Edgerley said the congestion would cause "serious inconvenience".

He said: "The previous closure in 2019 was a total disaster.

"I'm expecting it to be worse because there will be a lot of people heading to London who've now not got the train option."

The rail line between Southampton and Basingstoke has been blocked since a freight train derailed on Tuesday.

Network Rail previously said disruption to train services could continue until Monday.

Edders23

Luckily trips to Southampton docks are few and far between but certainly glad I don't have customers heading for a cruise ship this weekend

Dr Hoo

Established Member
So how does the odd rogue container get through then like the one two or three years back a photo of which went viral which was a tad out of gauge :lol:
If you mean the 'bulgy' ones - plenty of pictures available on the internet - that is typically due to battery or hydrogen 'explosions' of cargo in mid journey. It has got nothing to do with weight/overload or checks made at the time of loading.

GB

Established Member

I'm not sure which incident you are refereeing to but interested to see the pictures!

quartile

What surprises me is that SWR's response today is still the same as Wednesday. I would have thought a through service from Winchester to Waterloo would be possible by now, yesterday they couldn't run a peak half hourly shuttle from Winchester to Baskingstoke and my non-cancelled trains from Farnborough haven't all been 12 car.

Domeyhead

Call it ‘interesting’ but it seems that some freight is being sent Reading - Guildford - Havant - Southampton. Probably got some suspect looks from the unsuspecting.
That sharp curve just eastbound of Fareham station makes me wince with long loco hauled freight trains. Not sure of its radius but it must be even sharper than Northam. Imagine if another freight derailed at Fareham - on second thoughts don't.

EvoIV

The eagle eyed will spot a mangled container door sat just after the Winchester end of Waller's Ash Tunnel. That's been sitting there since last year after the door swung open in the tunnel and got wedged in a refuge, ripping it off in the process. I think it's fair to say that was out of gauge.

I'm surprised the RAIB never got involved with that as the consequences could have been lethal.

Domeyhead

Why not? If the BBC got the story from the highly trained hard working experts working all hours day and night then it could be correct. If however, they consulted the experts on railforums UK, who seem to think the reopening is already overdue, then it could be fake news. How about letting the experts just do their best in very difficult circumstances.
Yes. Paul Clifton is a respected rail journalist who writes articles for several rail journals and sites. He would be known and hopefully "trusted" by rail managers not to misuse information given, nor would he compromise his sources. If he quotes Monday then it's come from a reliable source somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.