• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

4VEP 3417 back on mainline, still fundraising

Invincible

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zamracene749

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I feel sympathy for regions that didn't get to enjoy the comfort of EPB's.

Big Jumby 74

Posted previously, but again for anyone who missed it before, this is ex Tyneside DMBS 65320 as part of SR unit 5790. The Tynesider's could be easily identified head-on by their shallower depth headcode panels. All other (SR EPB's) of the same batch had full (windscreen) depth headcode window/panels.

Attachments

• BJ-Former Tyneside Electric unit (running as SR 2 EPB 5790) at Staines. 10-1981..jpg
    BJ-Former Tyneside Electric unit (running as SR 2 EPB 5790) at Staines. 10-1981..jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 53

Bikeman78

Established Member
The Clapham disaster should really have seen them off, plus all other Mk1 EMUs and stock. Obviously no money tree available to BR and it takes time to build and replace but their ongoing existence well into the 2000s was far later than many envisaged.
The Patcham crash 10 years earlier was as bad in terms of destruction. But it happened late at night and both trains were lightly loaded. No talk of scrapping them all after that accident.

Regarding VEPs, I don't think a single passenger was ever killed inside one. Sure, they were involved in several collisions but the fatalities were always in the other train.

Big Jumby 74

Regarding VEPs, I don't think a single passenger was ever killed inside one.
As a type of unit they were the mainstay of my commuting years and formed a large part of my career, so I may be biased in their favour. They did the grunt work that was required of them in the outer sub area of SE England, in a similar way that Brush 4's did much of the (often unsung) work in regions various, hence I have a soft spot for both, whereas I know other people have often looked down on them (both), in the sense that they were seen in their day as common as muck, so not worthy of interest (perhaps?). But each to their own at the end of the day!

Cross checking on wiki is at the Battlefield Line,
"where the bodywork restoration work already undertaken will be continued to prepare the Unit for passenger service"

Mine also, by about 3 years. I'd have loved to have ridden them up here though :)

Thanks! Hopefully it will be out and about one day.

Posted previously, but again for anyone who missed it before, this is ex Tyneside DMBS 65320 as part of SR unit 5790. The Tynesider's could be easily identified head-on by their shallower depth headcode panels. All other (SR EPB's) of the same batch had full (windscreen) depth headcode window/panels.

For anyone interested in the Tyneside EPB. Feel free to have a look at this thread regarding .At present it is under a cover as work on Spondon and Mazda Ruston 165DE needs to be finished 1st. https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...ss-457-spondon-and-ruston-165de-mazda.249284/

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
As a type of unit they were the mainstay of my commuting years and formed a large part of my career, so I may be biased in their favour. They did the grunt work that was required of them in the outer sub area of SE England, in a similar way that Brush 4's did much of the (often unsung) work in regions various, hence I have a soft spot for both, whereas I know other people have often looked down on them (both), in the sense that they were seen in their day as common as muck, so not worthy of interest (perhaps?). But each to their own at the end of the day!
My friend used to quote the Ronseal advert when talking about VEPs, does exactly what it says on the tin. They would turn up every half an hour in all but the most severe weather and get you where you wanted to go.

nw1

Established Member

I remember seeing the 2EPBs with shallower headcode panels on the South Western a little bit later, getting into the mid-80s, but I just about remember their 57xx numbering. They were obviously renumbered into 62xx pretty quickly though, to avoid clashing with the 455/7s.

As an aside, a single 2EPB on a Windsor service (58) must have been quite unusual, it was obviously in the main part of the day as it's October and looks very bright. (Though a single HAP appeared to be diagrammed on one service in 1982).

My friend used to quote the Ronseal advert when talking about VEPs, does exactly what it says on the tin. They would turn up every half an hour in all but the most severe weather and get you where you wanted to go.

Even in the most severe weather, you might still get a VEP, though admittedly perhaps hauled by a 33. (A memorable journey home from school in January 1987 under the famous severe spell involved precisely that).

Last edited:

On Moderation
Regarding VEPs, I don't think a single passenger was ever killed inside one. Sure, they were involved in several collisions but the fatalities were always in the other train.
What about Clapham? The standing train that was hit was a 12-VEP formation.

Bikeman78

Established Member
What about Clapham? The standing train that was hit was a 12-VEP formation.
Amazingly, no one in the Basingstoke train was killed.

And Purley? The Littlehampton - Victoria train (formed of 2CIG units) ran into the back of the Horsham - Victoria train (formed of a 4VEP)
As above, everyone on the VEP survived. Of course, I acknowledge that it's largely down to luck (the Littlehampton train could easily have been a VEP instead of the booked CIG), but so are lots of things in life.

WAO

I suspect that the VEP's were so rammed that nobody could be thrown around in an accident - passengers were airbags in effect - so fewer injuries.

The first element of crash worthiness is of course not to have crashes, such as with TPWS (thank you John Prescott). The SR Mark 1's were not so bad as to need premature replacement, although they aged badly after privatisation.

There are also elements of VEP and VOP at the EKR, thanks to the 400 Series Group.

WAO

Invincible

The ORR recognises units based on MK1 designs, such as VEPs, CIGs and TCs have limited crash worthiness. The LU 4TC has CDL so can run on mainline with passengers but only behind a loco such as a 73, 20 or Sarah Siddens. But last year ran push pull with the 33111 loco on Swanage and MHR at max of 25 MHP.
Great what the EKR is doing with it's units.

Hopefully it won't be to long before the 4VEP will be able to visit a heritage railway, like it's owner the Bluebell Railway to offer enthusiasts rides without the need for CDL, then go back to Strawberry Hill depot for covered storage and more work.

Last edited:

Big Jumby 74

As an aside, a single 2EPB on a Windsor service (58)
That shown I took while we were awaiting the Weybridge portion to arrive and attach on rear. You can see the shunter leaning against the rear cab side ready to spring in to action!

nw1

Established Member
That shown I took while we were awaiting the Weybridge portion to arrive and attach on rear. You can see the shunter leaning against the rear cab side ready to spring in to action!

Ah ok, thanks, so a Sunday I guess as obviously Mon-Sat they didn't do that.

Whatever the case, Staines station seems incredibly empty. I realise it's a Sunday but even still, it's obviously fairly close to the middle of the day and Staines is a large town on the edge of London.

Big Jumby 74

Ah ok, thanks, so a Sunday I guess as obviously Mon-Sat they didn't do that.
Mindful we are veering OT from 423's here, but to answer your question, I didn't note the exact date, but it was after a weekend when we were dragging diverted IPxx/2Pxx between Eastleigh and Pompey with Crompton's, which (from my involvement) was Sat 10 Oct, and the following Saturday (17/10) I was purely by chance in a spot to see and photo 'Tulyer' on the 'Wessex Deltic' on the SWML. From my old negatives and order of photos taken that would date the Staines image to Sunday 11/10/81.

nw1

Established Member
Mindful we are veering OT from 423's here, but to answer your question, I didn't note the exact date, but it was after a weekend when we were dragging diverted IPxx/2Pxx between Eastleigh and Pompey with Crompton's, which (from my involvement) was Sat 10 Oct, and the following Saturday (17/10) I was purely by chance in a spot to see and photo 'Tulyer' on the 'Wessex Deltic' on the SWML. From my old negatives and order of photos taken that would date the Staines image to Sunday 11/10/81.

Ah ok thanks. Back on topic (and this has come up before, but some time ago, and it nicely brings things together) the entire Saturday daytime service on the Windsor and Eton Riverside line in 1982/3 was formed of VEPs (despite being advertised as second class only).

jumble

The ORR recognises units based on MK1 designs, such as VEPs, CIGs and TCs have limited crash worthiness. The LU 4TC has CDL so can run on mainline with passengers but only behind a loco such as a 73, 20 or Sarah Siddens. But last year ran push pull with the 33111 loco on Swanage and MHR at max of 25 MHP.
Great what the EKR is doing with it's units.

Hopefully it won't be to long before the 4VEP will be able to visit a heritage railway, like it's owner the Bluebell Railway to offer enthusiasts rides without the need for CDL, then go back to Strawberry Hill depot for covered storage and more work.
I very much doubt (but may be mistaken) that Sarah Siddons will be carrying passengers on the main line any time soon if ever

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ah ok thanks. Back on topic (and this has come up before, but some time ago, and it nicely brings things together) the entire Saturday daytime service on the Windsor and Eton Riverside line in 1982/3 was formed of VEPs (despite being advertised as second class only).

That's like the opposite to the terrible situation in the early noughties when all the saturday Reading services were 455's.

nw1

Established Member
I very much doubt (but may be mistaken) that Sarah Siddons will be carrying passengers on the main line any time soon if ever

The legendary Sarah Siddons, never saw it, but I remember people at school talking about that loco. Apparently it was actually on the main line (as a guest) sometime around 1983.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The legendary Sarah Siddons, never saw it, but I remember people at school talking about that loco. Apparently it was actually on the main line (as a guest) sometime around 1983.

Went to Dover Western Docks at one stage. Seen a picture of it there (courtesy of the excellent Messers V Mitchell & K Smith).

Big Jumby 74

The legendary Sarah Siddons
Granted I and some colleagues had privileged access perhaps, but a short run was had between Strawberry Hill* (* on current topic VEP wise..:lol:..) and Clapham Jn in '89. Can't remember the detail, but guess a positioning move/test run or some such. I think some kind soul did clarify the working concerned, but can't find the post now!
(Posted previously but here again for those that missed same).

Attachments

• BJ-Sarah Siddons and 2 BIL 2090 approaching Twickenham. 8-12-89.jpg
    BJ-Sarah Siddons and 2 BIL 2090 approaching Twickenham. 8-12-89.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 50
  • BJ-Sarah Siddons and 2 BIL 2090, Strawberry Hill Depot. 8-12-89.jpg
    BJ-Sarah Siddons and 2 BIL 2090, Strawberry Hill Depot. 8-12-89.jpg
    571.2 KB · Views: 50

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Granted I and some colleagues had privileged access perhaps, but a short run was had between Strawberry Hill* (* on current topic VEP wise..:lol:..) and Clapham Jn in '89. Can't remember the detail, but guess a positioning move/test run or some such. I think some kind soul did clarify the working concerned, but can't find the post now!
(Posted previously but here again for those that missed same).

Is that the 2BIL in the background ?!

It is (just seen the writing).

I'd love a trip on that now as well !

Big Jumby 74

Is that the 2BIL in the background ?!
Yep, the image I took from the train was taken from 2090, on the curve running down in to Twickenham, having just passed over the Reading lines. SUB 4732 was hanging on at the back!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yep, the image I took from the train was taken from 2090, on the curve running down in to Twickenham, having just passed over the Reading lines. SUB 4732 was hanging on at the back!

I had, and missed the opportunity to travel on that and have been regretting not taking it for the last thirty years.

Big Jumby 74

Just dug out my notes. We picked up SS and the BIL on No 4 Shed road at Straw Hill, with the SUB sitting on 6 shed road. Must have shunted 4 to 6 to couple up the SUB before leaving, but it's all so long ago, I forget the detail. Getting old is a pain..:lol: