• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

5 people suspended after SouthEastern rail tour driven by "unauthorised" person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whhistle

On Moderation
Much confusion in the newspaper report but if the train was safe at all times, surely it's just an issue of bad practice? Serious yes, but it's not like joe anyone drove the train.

Although I spoke to someone once who had experience of a freight route having some sort of loco swap.
One driver didn't know the route, the other didn't know the traction, so both went.

If the driver that didn't know the stock wanted to drive under the instruction of the driver that did, in reality there is such a minimal risk it's not worth bothering about in my opinion.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HLE

Established Member
In that situation it usually goes that the driver that signs the stock drives, being conducted by the driver that knows the route. It may vary at other TOC's etc

Dieseldriver

In that situation it usually goes that the driver that signs the stock drives, being conducted by the driver that knows the route. It may vary at other TOC's etc
Nothing to do with TOCs, it's a Rulebook instruction that the Driver with traction knowledge drives. However, in my personal view I would argue that in some cases, although against the rule book, it would be better for the Driver with route knowledge to drive.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Nothing to do with TOCs, it's a Rulebook instruction that the Driver with traction knowledge drives. However, in my personal view I would argue that in some cases, although against the rule book, it would be better for the Driver with route knowledge to drive.
As a generalisation, the driver with route knowledge knows what to do (and when), whereas the driver with traction knowledge knows how to do it. Telling the person in the driving seat what needs to be done will probably be quicker and less ambiguous than explaining how to do it.

Dieseldriver

As a generalisation, the driver with route knowledge knows what to do (and when), whereas the driver with traction knowledge knows how to do it. Telling the person in the driving seat what needs to be done will probably be quicker and less ambiguous than explaining how to do it.
I know the logic behind it. However, if for example, a Driver is being conducted in a 156 over a route by a Driver who signs 150s but not 156s, in my view, due to those two particular traction types being very similar, I would argue it's better fir the route conductor to drive. If a Unit Driver was route conducting a Driver in a 47 and a rake of MK1s I would say it makes sense for the one who signs the 47 to drive as the Unit Driver has no experience of driving locomotives.
Just my personal view though and in reality I would just follow the rule book to avoid the very type of backlash that has been discussed in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.