• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

55013's Contemporary Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ash39

Established Member
I headed west on Friday too, even sampling 67022 although I did it later in the day on the 1650 service. Sounded like a good day!

As for the 60's, 44 is great going. I got 60002 and 60092 at a gala at Barrow Hill a couple of years ago, for about half a mile!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You had some reasonable luck with MerseyRail in the end, and I've yet to have a spin on the 67s up in Manchester. I've had a 57/3 on that route, but not yet a 67. Something I really need to change!

Established Member
Another good day. Plenty winners from a day, where you were undecided where to go. Shame no 47s were mentioned but as the Stones sang, you can't always get what you want;)

Another good read Mr 55013

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I missed the Wensleydale gala as I was up in Seashouses. Looks like fun. I have had a 60 down there before. All the law from Low Gates actually including the run round in Northallerton station. Best not say more.........)

Established Member
Well, not for the first (and, I dare say, last) time I've been rushed off my feet recently and not had time to visit the forum.
I've a lot of catching up to do, mainly reading but a bit of writing as well.

45135 and I paid a visit to the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway on Saturday the 12th of August for their diesel gala and a good time was had by all.

We stayed in the same seats all day, so no leaping was involved, however three excellent locos where on the agenda.

First up was a run from Wirksworth to Duffield on 31206, a loco that I'd only previously sampled at the Midland Railway Centre.
It was nice to get a decent run on it.

Here it is at the end of our day:
31206_2017.08.12_2_Wirksworth by Phil Wood, on Flickr

After doing it to Duffield we took it back to Wirksworth.
This was to be the pattern for the rest of the day.

The second loco was the one we wanted the most.
I had first had 26043 when it performed a shunt release at Glasgow Queen Street way back in 1990.
A mate and I stayed on the ECS of a service we had arrived on (such moves were far from unknown in those days) and enjoyed a loud but short run up Cowlairs Bank.
My second encounter with this beast was at the Gloucester Warwickshire Railway in 2013.
Sadly the run on it that time was also short as it failed after about three quarters of a mile.
Despite having had it twice before, my recorded mileage off it stood at less than one.
That was simply unacceptable and had to change.
Change it did.

26043 was enjoyed on three round trips, first on its own, then out on its own and back with 33103 and finally a solo run again.
It's mileage is now around fifty, which is much better :)

26043 running round at Duffield:
26043_2017.08.12_07_Duffield by Phil Wood, on Flickr

33103 had been had several times before.
I would have liked a decent run on it today, but it was not to be, the Duffield to Wirksworth run with 26043 being its only appearance in the haulage book on this move.

33103_2017.08.12_3_Wirksworth by Phil Wood, on Flickr

That was that; four round trips, sixty-four miles and three enjoyable locos.
A nice day out .

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very nice. I've had 26043 a few times over the last couple of years and it's a nice machine.
It was certainly chucking some fumes out at the West Somerset a couple of months ago!

Established Member
I can sympathise, with the rushing round like a blue arsed fly and having to have a catch up on here.

Sounded like a great day out there, definitely have a touch of moves envy. A 26, 31 and 33 for haulage can't be sniffed at. As usual the obligatory excellent pictures too.

noddy1878

Established Member
Great photos as usual there. Shame this gala hadn't coincided with me visiting my father in law in Wirksworth!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've also been somewhat busy lately, so I know the problems it causes with trying to keep up with this busy forum. I'm due to have an easy afternoon at home tomorrow, so I intend to get on with it then. Not to mention sorting out photos from last week's trip as well as my big RM update!

EDIT: Sorry, my brain went into non-enthusiast mode there, forgot to finish my post!

A most enjoyable gala day for sure there, it's been way too long since I last had a 31. Having a break from the rails is not being fun I can assure you!

Last edited:

Established Member
Thanks chaps.

In order to try and relieve some stress I’ve now changed my work pattern; doing four long days Monday to Thursday then having every Friday off.
This will hopefully mean I’ll be having a day on the trains most weeks.

This week is the first of the new system, although as the weather is awful today and I’ve a move with a couple of mates planned for tomorrow I can catch up on the forum instead.

I’ve a few trips to cover and they’re much of a muchness so I’ll crack on with it.

First up was a nice little shack scratching move whilst I was at work.
My colleague asked me if I’d cover some jobs he had to do in Todmorden and I readily agreed.
Anyone that drives on the road between Halifax and Todmorden will know that there are some works going on to repair damage from the floods of a couple of years ago.
This means that traffic is signal controlled through Mytholmroyd, leading to lengthy delays.

After doing my jobs I decided I couldn’t face sitting in a queue of traffic for ages and to return to Halifax via a longer, but hopefully quicker, route.
As it was approaching lunch time I called in at a Co-op to buy a sandwich.
The shop was next to a required station, by buying something I was entitled to two hours free parking and I had a lunch hour to fill.

Hmm, what to do?

156420 was duly roped in from Littleborough to Smithy Bridge.
A short wait was had before 150272 arrived to take me back and I reached my car well before my lunch break was over.
Obviously there's no photos of this move as it wasn't planned.

My next three moves were all to the same part of the country and began with my usual Monthly Friday off work.

I made my way to Low Moor only to find that my intended train, the 08.08 to Huddersfield, was cancelled due to a train fault.

I quickly consulted RTT and worked out that I wouldn’t lose too much time if I went via Leeds, so it was to platform 2 and the delightful pairing of 153317 and 144014 on the 08.23 departure.

Once at Leeds it was over the bridge and onto 185103.
I left this at Huddersfield to see what was a few minutes behind it.
This turned out to be 185124 and I took this to Piccadilly.

I had three goals in mind; firstly, I wanted to get all the Northern 323s for ten miles, secondly further inroads into my required 156 coaches and lastly some new shacks.

Once my ticket was purchased I mooched up and down looking for something suitable.
Two of my three targets could be met immediately, 156451 was waiting to leave on a Buxton service.
My only previous run on this had been fairly lengthy – back in 2005 I had sat in 57451 all the way from Leeds to Carlisle.
As there was no need to go very far I opted for one of the stations between Piccadilly and Stockport – I’d been through them many times but had so far never visited.
I left 52451 at Heaton Chapel.

323229 was next, sadly not one on my wants list.
I took this back to Picc then headed to platform 13 to see what was working the Blackpool to Airport service.
This produced another new vehicle, 57491.
156491 was paired with 156489.

Earlier on I had spotted a required 323 heading to Crewe and worked out when it would be back off the Airport.

I had an hour to kill so took tram 3076 out to Martinscroft and dud 3085 back.

323235 arrived at almost the same time I did.

This is when I'd spotted it earlier, at Heaton Chapel:
EMU 323235_2017.08.18_Heaton Chapel by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Once this was in the book I was left with two required Northern members of the class and I had viewed one of those earlier.
Happily, I could make it at a winning station.
Even better, I could get there on a sub ten mile 323.

323223 was the one that took me to Prestbury from Piccadilly and 323238 was what brought me back.

I wasn’t quite done for the day yet.
Double whammy 156460 and 156472 was next on the agenda.
I needed one coach, 57460, in the former, and the latter was under ten miles; so another Airport run in the appropriate vehicle sorted them both out.

156472, showing off its new look:
DMU 156472_2017.08.18_2_Manchester Airport_& 156460 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

That was my day more or less over, I just needed to get home.
Unfortunately, there had been a lightning strike at Ardwick and the trains were now in chaos.
Having initially been cancelled, a Middlesbrough service was unexpectedly reinstated.
This was worked by dud for the day 185124 but beggars can’t be choosers and I didn’t want to risk waiting for the next thing so I took it.

Once at Huddersfield it was 144019 that was waiting to take me back to Low Moor and another relaxing day out was over.

Last edited:

Established Member
I need 23 Northern 156 coaches, plus 156483 which has no required coaches but is under ten miles.
It'll keep me entertained for a few Fridays to come :)

Established Member
My wife had a busy bank holiday weekend, which was good news for me :)
She informed me on Friday that she would be snowed under on Saturday and I should have a day on the trains.
Never one to need telling twice, I decided to head back over the Pennines and try and continue in the same manner as I had the week before.

This time the Huddersfield service from Low Moor wasn’t cancelled and the power was provided by 144022.
I groaned when I saw my traction to Manchester – it was 185124.

My fortunes improved at Piccadilly – my final local 323 was waiting patiently for me to buy my ticket.
323232 was on a Crewe via the Airport service so it was, once again, to the Airport I went.
I still had one required shack between there and Manchester, so I decided to get that in next.

323228 took me to Gatley and 319382 brought me back.

EMU 319382_2017.08.26_1_Gatley by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Mileage requirement 156427 was next, to Piccadilly.
Although all the Northern 323s were now in the book there were no less than five that remained under ten miles, so I hoped to get one or two of those in.

323230 was on six miles, so a run to Stockport got that out of the way.

EMU 323230_2017.08.26_3_Stockport by Phil Wood, on Flickr

323235 wasn’t on my list, having been got on my last move, but was a useful means of getting away from Stockport.

Once back at Piccadilly I saw one of the remaining four departing for Hadfield.
I decided to give chase.
The next Hadfield also produced one of the big four, 323234, which was nice.
Even nicer, a third member of the quartet was also passed en route, meaning all three Hadfield diagrams were worked by units on my list.

I left 323234 at Broadbottom and had a short wait before 323233 arrived.
I wanted the third Hadfield unit, so it was a repeat of the last move.
This time it was 323233 out to Broadbottom for 323239 back.
And then there was one.

Earlier in the day I had seen what was now my last one and knew that it should be coming back to Manchester soon.
It was on eight miles so only needed a short run and once again I could pick it up at a new station.
This was Levenshulme and I got there on 105228, which was paired with 150204.

After enjoying the Salubrious surrounds of Levenshulme for a few minutes 323231 appeared as hoped and took me away.

I’d been very lucky on the 323 front having got all my targets and was now heading home.
A 185 that wasn’t 124 (it was 122) took me back over to Huddersfield, arriving four minutes after the hourly train via Low Moor had left.

Do I hang around for fifty-six minutes?
Hell, no.

150110 was taken to Mirfield before 155343 was utilised to Brighouse.

DMU 150110_2017.08.26_Mirfield by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I now had five minutes before 142088 arrived to take me the last ten miles.
I arrived home to my wife telling me that she was a long way from finishing her work and that I should make myself scarce on bank holiday Monday as well.
Oh no, not more trains :)

Keith Jarrett

Getting thrown out of the house? Perhaps Mrs 13 could have a few words with Mrs KJ and have me similarly evicted on the odd occasion.....

Some good reads there and nice to read that that progress, even if not at a great rate of knots, is being made on your remaining Class 156 coaches. On your travels around Manchester, you managed to bump into my last two Northern 323s required for the dreaded 10 miles - Starships 230 & 235 being the offenders. Also you noted having 156489+156491 as a pair - I seem to recall seeing those running around joined in holy matrimony on August 18th but by the 23rd 156491 was paired with 156420 but still on Airport services.

What you are doing with Northern 156s, I am also doing with the South West 455s and 456s - gathering in all the coaches. 456s are done and I'm only about ten shy of bagging all the 455 coaches. Next in my sights will be the 458s and I suppose I had better try for all the 707s before they are dispensed with..

Established Member
Mrs 13 has a burgeoning career in local politics to keep her entertained.
She finds fulfilment in trying to right social injustice while I find it in trains :)

August the 18th was the day I did 156489/491.
I know they chop and change a lot; I notice from your postings that you had 156420 paired with a 142 and that was the same day I did it on its own from Littleborough to Smithy Bridge.

Doing individual coaches gives the opportunity to do lots of local (therefore cheap) moves whilst maintaining a target to chase :)

Established Member
Monday began in much the same way as Saturday, with me making my way to Low Moor.
This time my chariot to Huddersfield was a Sprinter, 150277.

It an empty pair of 185s that took me on the familiar trip over to Manchester.
Happily, neither of them were 124.
They were 185147 and 185112.

With all the 323s in the bag I was looking to broaden my horizons today.
I only need one 175, 175002, but there are a fair few that I’ve only had on Oxford Road leaps.
175115 was one of those, so I took the opportunity to get it into the ten-mile club when it arrived on an Airport service.

The service from Blackpool, often a rich of source of new 156 coaches for me, followed a few minutes behind and once again I was in luck.
This time it was 57466 that was to provide me with a ride back to Piccadilly.
156466 was paired with 156471.

On arrival at Manchester I spotted a single 156 stood in waiting to go to Buxton.
I made my way over and was pleased to see it contained another required coach.

The Buxton line is one that I did with a few mates way back in the 80s.
That was to view the depot there and the journey was done on DMUs, so I didn’t record it.
Now seemed like as good a time as any to do the line in the modern era.

All the stations on the line beyond Hazel Grove were required.
156487 was taken to Whaley Bridge.

A pair of 150s, 150136 and 150269, were next, to Middlewood.
No required coaches in my next unit, but 156468 was a mileage requirement.

By the time I’d reached Buxton it was no longer on my wants list.
I’d been to Buxton many times previously, mostly by car but once by train as already mentioned.
Over the years many great locos had been viewed from the platform end.
Alas, the depot is no more.
I must admit to feeling a bit sorrowful as I took a photo to compare and contrast.

The past:
20005_1989.02.25_Buxton_& 20048 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

37411_1989.02.25_1_Buxton by Phil Wood, on Flickr

60043_Buxton by Phil Wood, on Flickr

The present:
DMU 156468_2017.08.28_3_Buxton by Phil Wood, on Flickr

I couldn't be bothered walking to platform 1 to photograph a load of trees.

I left Buxton aboard 156468 intending to go all the way to Piccadilly.
As the train went along I noticed that the service the other way hadn’t yet come past.
I had a look on RTT, saw it was running seven minutes late and I quickly devised a plan to get two new shacks in.
Under normal circumstances I wouldn’t have left 156468 at Chapel-en-le-Frith as it was a minus three for the unit the other way.
I now had a plus four, so I figured it was worth a risk.
I did think I might have made a mistake when I discovered that I had to get to the other platform via a foot crossing in front of the 156.
I looked nervously down the track as 156468 slowly left the station.
I wanted to get across in time but not to the point of being killed, so I made absolutely sure the other unit wasn’t in sight before making my way across and relaxing.

I just had time to get a photo of the plaque honouring John Axon G.C and John Creamer before the pair of 150s from earlier, 150269 and 150136, arrived.

DMU 150269_2017.08.28_3_Chapel-En-Le-Frith_& 150136 by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Chapel-en-Le-Frith wasn’t the only reason for me doing this leap.
The 150s stopped at Dove Holes, a station only served by every second service.
I had a wait of about forty minutes there, which was just as well because it takes nearly that long to get from one platform to the other :).
Luckily it was a nice day and I enjoyed the solitude; sitting in the sun and waiting for the pair of 150s to come back.
Eventually they re-appeared and I was off back to Manchester.

My return home was unspectacular, 185108 to Huddersfield followed by 144014 to Low Moor.

That almost brings things up to date.

45135 and I had a trip to Manchester last weekend.
This wasn’t a train trip as such, we went to see the Joy Division/New Order exhibition at Manchester Art Gallery.
Nevertheless, rails would be ridden.

We started by driving to the Metrolink Park and Ride stop at Hollinwood.
We let a wedged single tram go, unlike everyone else waiting we opted for a four minute wait and a double set.
This was dud 3104 leading winner 3073.
We took these to St Peter’s Square and the gallery.

After perusing a variety of art we returned to Hollinwood on 3112.
It was only early afternoon so no need to return home just yet.
A relatively short drive was done to Ramsbottom where we picked up 40145 on the ELR’s diesel diagram.
An full round trip was enjoyed and we were home in time for tea :)

40145_2017.09.02_9_Ramsbottom by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Congrats on getting those two awkward stations on the Buxton line in, as well as your Northern 323s and other units for 10 miles :)

Established Member
Good day out and a cracking read there 55013, with the obligatory excellent photos too. Jealous of the 40 move for sure, I'm getting severe move envy here.

The photos of Buxton, triggered a memory too. I too haven't been to Buxton station in a long long time, probably since the mid to late 80's, what a little gem that place used to be. I went with a friend, his Dad and his Dads friend and son on a Saturday and there was stuff parked all over the place.

Thanks for sharing.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Congrats on clearing Northern's 323s and getting a few awkward shacks on the Buxton line. How it's changed...

Did you ever make a visit to Dove Holes sidings back in the day? Dad's just told me about them how it was just surrounded by fields and dry stone walls and it just seemed to be loads of locos randomly sat in a field.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Major catchup just had. Sounds like good news with the change at work, I've just finished a 6 day week for the second week in a row, but I will have my Friday and Sunday off next week. That will be nice!

Established Member
Thanks lads.
Quinn - I never went to Dove Holes sidings, sadly.

Anyway, I said on Friday that I had a moved lined up for Saturday and it proved very enjoyable.
45135, our mate and I went and our first port of call was the Electric Railway Museum at Coventry.
This museum is due to close soon and we wanted to pay a visit before the exhibits are scattered to the winds.
It's only a small site but it was great seeing vehicles that were common when we were younger but are now all but gone.
Some of the units there are the only survivors of their class.
We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and it's a great shame this museum will soon be no more.

Our original plan after this visit was to go to London on the 68 hauled 13.55 from Moor Street, returning on the other loco hauled set.
We had spent much longer at the ERM than we anticipated and didn't leave there until after 14.00, so that plan was abandoned.

We still wanted to cover both 68 turns so drove to Solihull and bought Day Trippers.

The first haulage of the day was 172336, this was one of three 172/3s that were below ten miles, so that was nice.
We had no idea what loco was on the 15.55 but 45135 and I were both hoping it was the elusive 68015.

We left 172336 at Moor Street and walked round to view the loco.

At last!
It was the much wanted 68015
Get in.

We did this Leamington and went for a mixed grill to celebrate :)

With DVT 82303 leading, 68015 thrashes out of Leamington Spa:
68015_2017.09.09_6_Leamington Spa by Phil Wood, on Flickr

After our meal we returned to the station and met up with 68010 for the run back to Solihull and the drive home.

Another good day over with; there had been lots to please us but the prize goes to 68015 finally getting into our haulage books.

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I was also on the 15:55 yesterday with mum, dad and my brother (Moor St-Leam). Congrats on finally getting 015!

Established Member
Cheers - it was becoming a bit of a bugbear for both 45135 and me.
We were, naturally, in the coach next to the loco.

Established Member
A canny day out by the sounds of it and 68015, eludes me too, so does 68013 for that matter. No doubt Quinn, you'll have had about 4000 miles behind it by now.

A great shot of 68015 too.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just caught up with your last couple of trips 55013. Good stuff, I liked the old photos of Buxton too

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nice work on finally getting 68015 in the book, a shame that museum is closing, I haven't been for years and have lost the photos.

Been way too long since I last had some 68 haulage, I *may* just have been tempted to have a quick spin on Friday...

Established Member
Whoah, I'm away from the forum for a bit and the whole look of it changes.
That was a surprise.

Anyway, on with the show.

Mrs 13 and I have just returned from a fabulous couple of weeks in Scotland.
We had a great holiday, it was very relaxing with lots of country walking, some great scenery and plenty of wildlife.
Trains?
Oh yes, they featured once or twice :)

However, before I get on to the holiday moves I have one to report from before we went.

I’ve mentioned before that I now work four ten-hour shifts, Monday to Thursday, and take Friday off each week.
This gives me the opportunity to do a move every week without inconveniencing my wife.

We were driving up to Scotland on Saturday, so I wouldn’t bother with a move on the Friday, I’d just stay a home and get stuff prepared, wouldn’t I?

Oh no, I wouldn’t.

I began Friday by heading to Low Moor and doing 150277 to Huddersfield.

A pair of 185s, 185117 and 185147, were taken over to Manchester.

Having started on the Buxton line shacks the previous week I planned to get the rest of them in today but first it was over to the through platforms to see which 156s were on the Blackpool to Airport service.
It was a completely dud pair so I rejected them and did the following 319367 to the airport instead.

Once at the destination I had a mooch round and saw an interesting 175.
I’ve had quite a few 175s on Oxford Road leaps and now want to get some decent mileage in on them.
175107 was one such unit and so that’s what I did back to Piccadilly.

Interestingly (well, to me) all five units that I’d had up to this point ended in 7.
This run of sevens didn’t continue, however.
Once again, I was disappointed with the units from Blackpool; with not a required coach or mileage target in sight.
I repeated my previous round trip, with 319361 out for another 175 mileage requirement, 175106, back.

I got back to Picc before the ATW service the other way had arrived and when that rolled in with low mileage 158819 doing the work I decided to pay my third visit of the day to the airport.
The ex-Blackpool units follow this service and go into the same platform as they depart first.
At last, there was a coach that I wanted.
This was 57469.
156469 was paired with 156464.

I had no sooner taken up my seat than the Liverpool 319 pulled in.
This was on my wants list as it was 319450, a unit that I’d only previously had, when it was 319050, from Moorgate to Kings Cross Thameslink (try doing that journey now!).
I had a look on RTT and came up with a plan to get it in later.

After roping in the 156 coach it was on to the Buxton line.
My original plan of getting all the stations on the line cleared had gone out of the window with the appearance of the 319 – traction requirements always trump shacks.
Nevertheless, I could still whittle them down a bit.

150207 was taken out to Furness Vale and after a short wait it was 150268 to Woodsmoor.

DMU 150207_2017.09.15_3_Furness Vale by Phil Wood, on Flickr

Next up was a dud station, Hazel Grove, which was reached aboard 156460.

DMU 156460_2017.09.15_2_Woodsmoor by Phil Wood, on Flickr

My only previous visit to Hazel Grove had been on Saturday 9th of July 1988 when a group of us had fallen on 37380 and 37680 dragging a dead 104 unit out of the now filled in bay platform at Stockport.
This was a Buxton service but our tickets only allowed us to get as far as Hazel Grove, from where we did a, sadly unrecorded, 304 back.
I’ve had both those locos several times since, so no mileage irritation, luckily :)
I’d done it this time for old time’s sake and to reduce the festering time.

150147, on a Hazel Grove starter, took me back to Piccadilly and an appointment with 319450.

319450 arrived as hoped and it was soon a member of the ten-mile club.

I try to return from Manchester moves on services starting from the airport as it increases the chances of getting a seat.
Luckily, there was a suitable service a few minutes after the 319 arrived, so it was 185131 all the way back to Huddersfield.
Just to put the icing on the cake, 185131 was a mileage requirement.
As with the earlier 175s, I’d only previously had it on an Oxford Road leap.
This leaves me with six examples still below the magic mark.

From Huddersfield it was 144016 back to Low Moor and packing for our holiday.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A rather productive day on the Buxton line and, indeed, the Airport line. Been a while since I last went down the Buxton branch, certainly something I want to go and do again some time! Looking forward to hearing about what you got up to in Scotland.

As for packing, I don't leave for 13 days but I've already started the packing of my case for an 8 day trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.