7 Day ALR - Disabled Railcard - March/April next year

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Blindtraveler, 14 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

myself and a mate giving some serius
    considderation to this next year and wondered what a standard class one would cost with railcard discount? Also for sleaper travel are berth reservations at normal price and whats policy on long distance seat reservations?

Also, does the disabled railcard discount for a companion apply with an ALR?

Thinking about it, a sticky ALR's, Rangers and Rovers FAQs thread in this section would make a good companion to the online offer tikets one!

Origin station is Edinburgh Waverley EDB. As stated earlier wondering what the standard price with railcard is but would be interested also in the FC one as theres quite a few long routes in our potential plan.

Finally, is it valid on SWTs Island line? Quite fancy a cupple of hours bashing over there.
    Thanks

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. scotsman

scotsman Established Member

Yup. In a word.

4. Blindtraveler

thanks mate, quick off the mark as ever!

Thinking about it, would make more sense to start the tiket from Crewe. Any change in price? I assume not!

Last edited: 14 Nov 2011
  5. Brucey

Brucey Member

However, you'll need to pay for the ferry separately.

With a railcard, it is often cheaper to buy a train ticket from Fratton to Ryde Pier Head (which automatically includes the ferry) than it is to buy a ferry only ticket from Wightlink.

Fratton to Ryde Hoverport (route Hovertravel) is also available for less than booking directly at the hoverport (and also a more exciting journey than the ferry!!)
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Current prices with railcard discount:
    Standard 7 day £283.90
    First 7 day £429·00
    Standard 14 day £429.00
    First 7 day £653.40

You just pay the standard sleeper supplement, like you would if you held (for example) a standard London to Penzance ticket.

Usual fees apply. Most TOCs are still free, but a few now charge (can't remember off the top of my head which ones now charge).

Unsure, but I believe it only applies to the railcard holder.

6. Blindtraveler

thanks Brucey. Is the hovercraft or ferry cheeper if booked in advance or on the day? Which out of the 2 is generally cheepest? The tiket route hovertravel sounds interesting but equally interested to compare.

7. Brucey

Brucey Member

Prices are as follows (first price is normal price, second price is with railcard discount):

Fratton to Ryde Hoverport
    Off Peak Day Return (by an train after 0845) £15.70 / £10.35
    Anytime Day Return £15.80 / £10.45
    Ticket includes the Hoverbus (it doesn't actually hover!) from Portsmouth & SS to Clarence Pier for the hoverport.

Ticket bought from Hovertravel
    Day Return £15.00

Fratton to Ryde Pier Head
    Off Peak Day Return (valid after 0845) £17.40 / £11.50
    Anytime Day Return £17.50 / £11.55

8. Blindtraveler

are interesting. Whats the journeytime on hovercraft and how early does it opperate?

Plan so far is, if we can afford it:

advance tiket positioning move Edinburgh - Crew, overnight in that fine town then
    WAG 1 to Cardif, Cardiff Bay bubble car, valley lines pacers, Cardif Portsmouth, overnight. Isle of white bash including transfer and then I guess wel be back in Pompy late afternoon?

Realistic?

9. Brucey

Brucey Member

Journey on the hovercraft is about ten minutes. In the winter, they operate every 20-30 minutes, more often in the summer.

The hoverbus from Portsmouth & Southsea station will take about 20 minutes.

Going on the hovercraft was probably my favourite school holiday day out when I was a kid (we lived in Pompey). I'd certainly recommend a trip if you've never been on one before.

Watch out for the bubble car. Last time I was down in Cardiff, it was operated by a 142 :(

10. bignosemac

bignosemac Established Member

To add to the already excellent advice. A Disabled Persons Railcard does allow the same discount on an ALR for a travelling companion. This applies to all ticket types where the discount is available to the holder.

Usual rule about travelling together at all times applies.

11. Blindtraveler

thanks bignosemac :)
    ok, routing help time now. Wanting to get to penzance to do some of the branches but also want to do some London stuff incl HS1. With a start point of Portsmouth and Soutuhsee, at, say 16.00, wheres best - do London stuff or head to Bristol for PNZ?

12. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If you use the lowland sleeper for the first night (weekdays), you only need a positioning ticket to Carstairs before using your Rover from there. On Sunday nights you need one to Carlisle instead.

13. Blindtraveler

good point! As usually going streight through, i forget it calls crewe!
    Whats the variation on Sundays with Carlisle about? Im glad you told me or id have got caught there trying to split at carstairs as it would be a sunday night departure! Thanks]

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Nov 2011
  14. bb21

On Sundays it calls at Carstairs at 2347 so you cannot start using your Rovers yet (if dated to start the day after).

That said, you can in theory buy a positioning ticket just to the first place passed after 0001, however I cannot check where it is at the moment. (Lockerbie maybe?)

15. bignosemac

bignosemac Established Member

Head to London, do HS1 in the evening, then over to Paddington for the Night Riviera, then the next day do your Cornish branches, should be able to get them all in, in one day with an early start. Don't forget Gunnislake!

16. Blindtraveler

it would indeed be Lokerbie! Nothing in it and again thanks for pointing it out as more often than not im asleap by Slateford! :)

17. Liam

Liam Established Member

If you wanted to get to Crewe, you could join the Highland Sleeper at Inverkeithing, or Falkirk Grahamston.

18. Blindtraveler

thats the main reason for going that way, the thought of that climb is irrisistable!!

And your rite, think a 16.00ish start for london wil give us time to do that, traveling via southern I think as A its not a 450 and B a change at Gatwick or somewhere in that general area gives us a wonderful 319 which everyone seams to be bashing at the moment for good reason!!

19. bb21

If you plan to do a Cornish branch line bash, don't do it on an ALR, it's a waste of money. Do it on a Ride Cornwall ticket.

20. Blindtraveler

another good point and that thought had crossed my mind however I have no other reason or insentive to get down that way and want to do the FGW sleaper so might as well get them in!
    Most likely woant do them all as want to make Plymouth for the last XC HST of the night, assuming the diagrams dont change radically for a good long run up to leeds!

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    oh and yes, you guessed it, I fully intend (after a few hours much needed kip) spending the following day bashing 333s, 153s, 155s and best of all pacers!

21. John @ home

John @ home Established Member Fares Advisor

If starting an ALR with a southbound sleeper journey from central Scotland on a Sunday evening / early Monday morning, consider the 00:02 Falkirk Grahamston - London Euston 07:50.

22. D6975

D6975 Established Member

Last 2 occasions I've been over there it was a 153...:cry:

23. Blindtraveler

thanks again chaps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.