• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Jay_123

I applied for a grade 7, did the online test, got an email back saying application under consideration, then after a few weeks went to unsuccessful(no sign of under consideration for assessment 2)? what does that typically mean?

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Saracen_83

I applied for a grade 7, did the online test, got an email back saying application under consideration, then after a few weeks went to unsuccessful(no sign of under consideration for assessment 2)? what does that typically mean?

Thank you

This means that people have scored higher than you....

assessment 2 is the interview and usually the top 5ish applicants are invited to interview based on their scores on the tests and 70 questions etc...

Keep applying though, and good luck!

Jay_123

This means that people have scored higher than you....

assessment 2 is the interview and usually the top 5ish applicants are invited to interview based on their scores on the tests and 70 questions etc...

Keep applying though, and good luck!
Thanks for the swift reply mate, I thought that was the case. I think it would of been the SJT what let me down

Jay_123

How did you find the nurmerical reasoning, done mine yesterday. Not easy
Not easy at all mate, to be honest the SJT was hard I thought due to the reason you could have more than 1 answer for each situation so choosing the right one was basically a guess.

Unknockable

Not easy at all mate, to be honest the SJT was hard I thought due to the reason you could have more than 1 answer for each situation so choosing the right one was basically a guess.
Yeah I feel the same about the SJT, I honesty hate this stage of the process with a passion!

Jay_123

Im internal so i suppose i already have a job so its not too bad. I phoned shl for my test results as network rail HR was unable to tell me them and got no joy(off both shl and nwr HR). Think its actually only the LOM who can see the scores?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Yes, lots and lots of nasties in there so overall pleased about the rejection - where do we go now though, as it was the final offer from the firm.

R.Quintero

Just out of curiosity, what happens if they absolutely can't see eye to eye? Is it the case that eventually someone would have to give an inch or....? Is there precedent for this happening?

(Only joined in Feb of last year so this is my first exposure to the negotiations).

Tomnick

Established Member
Just out of curiosity, what happens if they absolutely can't see eye to eye? Is it the case that eventually someone would have to give an inch or....? Is there precedent for this happening?

(Only joined in Feb of last year so this is my first exposure to the negotiations).
My first exposure to the negotiations resulted in a ballot for industrial action, and a series (?) of strikes being called over a bank holiday weekend. The final offer didn’t seem too palatable then either (although I forget the details) and, funnily enough, it was somehow sufficiently improved before we reached the first strike day.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
The update says the union have officially rejected the offer and informed the company with the points of concern raised.

The company can now go a few ways:
1) Reenter talks (they did say it was a final offer).
2) Say okay that’s the offer take it or leave it.
3) enforce the offer.

The union can also go a few ways:
1) Soften their stance and begrudgingly except, face massive unrest from the membership.
2) Accept certain items of the offer and ask to further discuss the outststanding issues later.
3) the nuclear option - ballot for industrial action.

The main thrust of contention is the future of Maintenance and delivery grades it seems, would strike action get a solid vote across at grades ?

I hope they reenter talks

HelixUK

The update says the union have officially rejected the offer and informed the company with the points of concern raised.

The company can now go a few ways:
1) Reenter talks (they did say it was a final offer).
2) Say okay that’s the offer take it or leave it.
3) enforce the offer.

The union can also go a few ways:
1) Soften their stance and begrudgingly except, face massive unrest from the membership.
2) Accept certain items of the offer and ask to further discuss the outststanding issues later.
3) the nuclear option - ballot for industrial action.

The main thrust of contention is the future of Maintenance and delivery grades it seems, would strike action get a solid vote across at grades ?

I hope they reenter talks

What percentage was offered for pay rise?

Cheers

GingerRH

The increase percentage wasn’t the problem. It was the PTR&R, no compulsory redundancy and removal of SE allowance. Oh and the managed stations and travel subsidiary.

It won’t get as far as strike action, if it does, you better hope if you’re in the RMT you stand for the union and go with it, regardless of beliefs. However that’s a whole unrelated topic..

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
There was a four page update on it in work yesterday outlining all the issues, more strings than a hot air ballon rally !

Our location is pretty poor RMT membership wise, although in in in the tent.

R.Quintero

It won’t get as far as strike action, if it does, you better hope if you’re in the RMT you stand for the union and go with it, regardless of beliefs. However that’s a whole unrelated topic..

Just out of curiosity why is that? I don't have any great political leanings but, maybe this sounds selfish, reckon I've landed a very well recompensed job with great perks and working conditions and so my first thought would be to carry on working as normal regardless of stike actions.

I'm not at all trying to stir here, just wondering is it massively frowned on then if someone carries on doing their own thing when the union is saying otherwise? Obviously I'm grateful to the RMT for things like the annual pay increase, job security etc but, coming from jobs where these things were very much the exception instead of the rule, see them as added extras which if received are lovely, but are by no means the be all and end all.

Apologies if I've strayed off topic from the original intention of the thread, genuinely just curious what the mood/expected action is surrounding such things?

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Just out of curiosity why is that? I don't have any great political leanings but, maybe this sounds selfish, reckon I've landed a very well recompensed job with great perks and working conditions and so my first thought would be to carry on working as normal regardless of stike actions.

I'm not at all trying to stir here, just wondering is it massively frowned on then if someone carries on doing their own thing when the union is saying otherwise? Obviously I'm grateful to the RMT for things like the annual pay increase, job security etc but, coming from jobs where these things were very much the exception instead of the rule, see them as added extras which if received are lovely, but are by no means the be all and end all.

Apologies if I've strayed off topic from the original intention of the thread, genuinely just curious what the mood/expected action is surrounding such things?

Most signalling locations are modern and diverse workplaces these days and most people in the signalling grades (at most locations anyway) are mature adults who try and understand the needs and priorities of others - therefore if you didn’t strike when others are on strike for sincerely held reasons (financial, for instance) some people might be a bit “off” but being permanently ostracised by everyone in the box is for the most part thing of the past (at least in my neck of the woods)

However, the benefits we enjoy as signallers didn’t come about through the altruistic generosity of Network Rail or its predecessors, it came about through union negotiation at local and national level. Most of which didn’t involve industrial action admittedly, but there’s no denying that the threat of unified and effective industrial action, where the vast majority of the workforce will take part in said action, has been a very effective part in the process of ensuring that we enjoy those benefits. It isn’t a very adult way of doing things, granted, but the simple truth is without union action we wouldn’t have anywhere near the level of benefits, not to mention salary, that we currently have.

GingerRH

Basically what Godfreycomplex says.

When you join a union such as the RMT, you’re thankful for all the things you’ve listed above. You also expect the union to give you their full support and fight your corner should you have an incident, or even over small things locally such as rostering or any other issues.

So, if the tables were turned and the union is now asking you for help in return (such as a strike or other industrial action, like overtime ban or strike), you’d be expected to fulfill the request as the union will always have your back no matter what. Give and take as such, if you take you can’t not give it back if you get me?

R.Quintero

Most signalling locations are modern and diverse workplaces these days and most people in the signalling grades (at most locations anyway) are mature adults who try and understand the needs and priorities of others - therefore if you didn’t strike when others are on strike for sincerely held reasons (financial, for instance) some people might be a bit “off” but being permanently ostracised by everyone in the box is for the most part thing of the past (at least in my neck of the woods)

However, the benefits we enjoy as signallers didn’t come about through the altruistic generosity of Network Rail or its predecessors, it came about through union negotiation at local and national level. Most of which didn’t involve industrial action admittedly, but there’s no denying that the threat of unified and effective industrial action, where the vast majority of the workforce will take part in said action, has been a very effective part in the process of ensuring that we enjoy those benefits. It isn’t a very adult way of doing things, granted, but the simple truth is without union action we wouldn’t have anywhere near the level of benefits, not to mention salary, that we currently have.

Thanks Godfrey, a nice articulate reply to a question that could easily have rubbed someone up the wrong way :)

I suppose where I'm new I still have my 'commuter' hat on sometimes, namely I remember the countless cold mornings I've stood waiting for trains that never showed up as people I saw as being well paid anyway were striking because they wanted more.
Kind of neglected to think that the reason these jobs were well paid in the first place was due to the hard work of the unions.

Anywho, was just curious about it all. I'll pipe down now :). Thanks again for your response.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Thanks Godfrey, a nice articulate reply to a question that could easily have rubbed someone up the wrong way :)

I suppose where I'm new I still have my 'commuter' hat on sometimes, namely I remember the countless cold mornings I've stood waiting for trains that never showed up as people I saw as being well paid anyway were striking because they wanted more.
Kind of neglected to think that the reason these jobs were well paid in the first place was due to the hard work of the unions.

Anywho, was just curious about it all. I'll pipe down now :). Thanks again for your response.
No worries :)
It’s a fair question, I was on the dole just before joining the railway and I never really understood why the trains I spent a good deal of my giro on were so, well, not very good. Fast forward four years and part of me still doesn’t

Highlandspring

Established Member
I'm not at all trying to stir here, just wondering is it massively frowned on then if someone carries on doing their own thing when the union is saying otherwise?
Yes it is. If you’re a Trade Union member you should abide by the majority of your fellow members and undertake industrial action when directed to. To do otherwise is morally questionable and, more practically, risks you becoming known as a word beginning with S. People can still recall exactly who worked and who didn’t during the 1994 signaller’s strike for example.

Signallers belong to a heavily unionised grade in a heavily unionised industry and feelings run strongly over this sort of thing. As has been pointed out the excellent terms and conditions the grade enjoys were fought for and won entirely through the efforts and determination of members of the RMT and the NUR before them. Without the unions the rail industry would be a very dark place to work indeed. I suggest if the idea of possibly having to take industrial action to fight against detrimental conditions makes you uncomfortable then don’t join the Union.

Last edited: