• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rockhopper

You’ll only go to full grade once you are signed off as competent in your box or panel. That could take an addition 12 months perhaps depending on the box.

9tfrizzco

Are all the guys from York recruitment campaign Grade 2? I selected Seamer as my send out location but it looks like I'll be staying in York for a year on Grade 2.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi - how long do you get paid on the training grade salary for? Do you transfer onto your "true" grade salary right after signalling school or is there more training to be completed before you get off your training salary?

Once you pass out competent on your first panel or box.

7Paul7

Are all the guys from York recruitment campaign Grade 2? I selected Seamer as my send out location but it looks like I'll be staying in York for a year on Grade 2.
In the offer letter, it says :

Whilst your base location will be as stated above, upon successful completion of signalling school you will be expected to apply for an advertised vacancy within a 75 minute radius. Your line manager will advise accordingly of any travel in advance of this as well as support your continued development as a Signaller post-training.

I'm assuming the grade 2 York is your base location so only on that for signalling school plus time taken to find alternative / more convenient location?

89jordanbj

When sifting applications do all hiring managers look at cover letters along with the cv and test results etc?

I have not included a cover letter in any of my applications as of yet, and as of yet have not made it to the interview stage on any application, so just want to make sure I have all bases covered and improve my chances wherever I can.

Thanks

LOM

When sifting applications do all hiring managers look at cover letters along with the cv and test results etc?

I would always look at it if one was uploaded. It is very unusual in my experience for a candidate for a signaller job to add a covering letter.

Javagem

In the offer letter, it says :

Whilst your base location will be as stated above, upon successful completion of signalling school you will be expected to apply for an advertised vacancy within a 75 minute radius. Your line manager will advise accordingly of any travel in advance of this as well as support your continued development as a Signaller post-training.

I'm assuming the grade 2 York is your base location so only on that for signalling school plus time taken to find alternative / more convenient location?

That’s exactly how I’ve understood it!

desrudy

On Moderation
About the pension thing , the website link :

https://iip.oldmutualwealth.co.uk/NetworkRail/index.asp

is not working , do you know where we can find information about the different Pick ‘n’ Mix funds . In the pdf file you only have a brief descripton with the The annual management charges but not the performances and the riskes .

Thanks you

Last edited:

LaheyTPS

Hi, first time poster. I'm also grade 2 from York recruitment campaign. Hello to everybody especially those starting school beginning of May. Can't wait to start. Reading this thread is about the sum total knowledge I possess about signalling so some hard studying ahead. Anybody know what we will be doing for the week before signalling school starts? Week long Induction?

7Paul7

Hi, first time poster. I'm also grade 2 from York recruitment campaign. Hello to everybody especially those starting school beginning of May. Can't wait to start. Reading this thread is about the sum total knowledge I possess about signalling so some hard studying ahead. Anybody know what we will be doing for the week before signalling school starts? Week long Induction?

I make that around six of us for May that have read / posted in this thread, I'm assuming the week before will be induction to the company, some more detail on the process going forwards such as the need to apply for internal vacancies etc.

I've returned the offer paper work and been for the medical today so hopefully should get some more information on start dates in the next couple of weeks.

ChrisG85

Hi all, does anyone have a rough timescale from a verbal offer through to medical and then to start date? I was offered a place on the future opportunities from a different interview that I went to and keen to get on the 4th May start if possible as I should then finish just before my holiday.

Stodge

Hi all, does anyone have a rough timescale from a verbal offer through to medical and then to start date? I was offered a place on the future opportunities from a different interview that I went to and keen to get on the 4th May start if possible as I should then finish just before my holiday.

It could really be anything from what I've read on here.
But for me, I was interviewed end of August.
Received verbal offer within 2 weeks
My paperwork was sent towards the end of October
My medical was end of November
I started 6th Jan
Started school 13th Jan a week later

ChrisG85

It could really be anything from what I've read on here.
But for me, I was interviewed end of August.
Received verbal offer within 2 weeks
My paperwork was sent towards the end of October
My medical was end of November
I started 6th Jan
Started school 13th Jan a week later
Brilliant thanks, I've had my formal offer sent through and a date for the medical today so it seems to be moving quickly.

7Paul7

Brilliant thanks, I've had my formal offer sent through and a date for the medical today so it seems to be moving quickly.

I think all the York future opportunities are starting on the 27th April, for a 4th of May start at signalling school

Wanderer84

Hey everyone. I was at the york assessment, but didn't get through (well done to everyone who did), right before having a trip out of country for a few days...

I've now been invited to interview at Crewe, the day before I head away again...

If I don't get this one, I know what I have to do to stand a good chance of getting another interview...

Travel agents, here I come! :lol:

Dorey

Hi All,
Has anyone on here got any experience with how Network Rail looks after pregnant signallers? There are so few women on the line where I work that there's no precedent for what to expect, i.e if/ when I will be put on restricted duties (my box is lever frame with several 'heavy pulls' is up 3 flights of steps and has an outside toilet so I can't really see it being workable in the later stages!). Also the matter of shift work and commuting etc given the emphasis on fatigue management.

Trying to get an idea what other LOMs have done for staff, it's not something I want to discuss with mine until things are definite.
Thanks

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I would of thought you’d be placed on “LOM Instructions”, no way can you be pulling levers whilst your pregnant.

What those instructions would be all depends on what else in our your route locally, how far so you travel for safety briefs? Maybe some kind of admin or briefer role?

Javagem

Hi Mate, I’m on the York intake too and have as much signalling knowledge as you . Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting started on the learning journey. I’m guessing the first week will be an induction before school starts!

Javagem

I make that around six of us for May that have read / posted in this thread, I'm assuming the week before will be induction to the company, some more detail on the process going forwards such as the need to apply for internal vacancies etc.

I've returned the offer paper work and been for the medical today so hopefully should get some more information on start dates in the next couple of weeks.
How was the medical? I’ve got mine in Doncaster next week.

7Paul7

Hey everyone. I was at the york assessment, but didn't get through (well done to everyone who did), right before having a trip out of country for a few days...

I've now been invited to interview at Crewe, the day before I head away again...

If I don't get this one, I know what I have to do to stand a good chance of getting another interview...

Travel agents, here I come! :lol:

Have you asked for feedback from the York interview see if there is anything you can brush up on for Crewe?

7Paul7

How was the medical? I’ve got mine in Doncaster next week.
Basic medical, eyes, ears, blood pressure, breath alcohol test, all of which I passed, just waiting on the lab results for the urine test to come back clear.

One thing the nurse asked (which wasn't in the letter) was to make sure I hadn't eaten in the 30 minutes before the medical, just something to be aware of.

LOM

Basic medical, eyes, ears, blood pressure, breath alcohol test, all of which I passed, just waiting on the lab results for the urine test to come back clear.

One thing the nurse asked (which wasn't in the letter) was to make sure I hadn't eaten in the 30 minutes before the medical, just something to be aware of.

That is for the breathalyser. Nothing to eat or drink for 20 minutes before.