• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Dorey

I would of thought you’d be placed on “LOM Instructions”, no way can you be pulling levers whilst your pregnant.

What those instructions would be all depends on what else in our your route locally, how far so you travel for safety briefs? Maybe some kind of admin or briefer role?

Thanks for your response, I'm reassured you think working the box would be a no no. Everything in my LOMs patch is around an hours travel minimum unfortunately. Hopefully I can still do something useful office based even if it's shorter shifts to allow for the commute.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
When I was a train guard as soon as the ladies confirmed they where pregnant that was it off trains until they returned from Maternity leave, the risk of then being stood up and being knocked off balance being to high.

Likewise if your box has heavy pulls that’s going to increase your strains and risk on your baby.

Any issues speak to your rep, they can’t discriminate or refuse.

R.Quintero

Hi,

Does anyone know what NWR's policy on bereavement leave is please, assuming there is one? Had a look but all I could find was stuff relevant to maternity/paternity pay etc.

Thanks

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Depending who it is you’ll get paid leave, again depending on who it is will depend on how long you get.

I’m sorry for you loss.

Mikesig

Thank you. Would you have an example roster you work?

It really depends on which sub ROC and which link you end up on as they are all different.
Sheffield sub ROC has 4 different links, G3, G5, G6 and G8. All have different number of weeks in their rosters.
On the G8 link we work a 24 week version, basically alternating weeks - 3 days, 3 nights, 3 days, 3 nights etc with a Sunday day shift and a Sunday night shift about every 4 weeks
Some weeks are "spare" so you could be nights or days.

Hi,

Does anyone know what NWR's policy on bereavement leave is please, assuming there is one? Had a look but all I could find was stuff relevant to maternity/paternity pay etc.

Thanks
1 days leave for near relative or relative of spouse. If you are sole member of family responsible for making funeral arrangements up to five days leave with pay at managers discretion

Last edited:

Javagem

It really depends on which sub ROC and which link you end up on as they are all different.
Sheffield sub ROC has 4 different links, G3, G5, G6 and G8. All have different number of weeks in their rosters.
On the G8 link we work a 24 week version, basically alternating weeks - 3 days, 3 nights, 3 days, 3 nights etc with a Sunday day shift and a Sunday night shift about every 4 weeks
Some weeks are "spare" so you could be nights or days.
And what are start and finish times, is it 7am 7pm?

89jordanbj

Has anybody here applied for the Pontrilas SB vacancy that closed a while back?

I completed the tests at the end of December but had no update since.

Spoke to the recruitment team on a few occasions and they don't seem to know why nobody has been shortlisted as of yet and they have emailed the hiring manager a few times but still hasn't shortlisted anyone or updated the online system.

Was wondering if anybody else had heard anything or whether they are even still looking to fill the positions?

A test of patience but perseverance is key I guess

John Webb

Established Member
When I was a Union safety rep from the mid-1970s until I retired in 1997, (not in a railway-related job) recommendations eventually came in regarding maximum periods one should work at a VDU screen without taking a break. The breaks were recommended in order to prevent both eye strain and loss of concentration. There has been frequent reference in this thread to 12 hour shifts; how are these broken up to give the necessary breaks from the VDUs?

Saracen_83

We have 4 x 60mins break over our 12 hour shift.... if we are on min breaks we have 2 x 20-30min breaks over the shift

ILoveLamp

Four hours , no wonder nwr are skint lol
Probably better to rest your employees working in a safety critical role than the alternative to be fair.. although it sounds like they can end up with only a 6th of that rest, which is the polar opposite! I have a question though! Who covers the breaks in Single manned boxes??

ILoveLamp

A handful of single-manned boxes in South East England receive meal breaks. These remain very much the exception, however.
How does this work? A relief signaller?? Or taken when there is a definite break in traffic on the line? Apologies if that sounds odd, just trying to understand how this would take place.

Last edited:

nom de guerre

We have 4 x 60mins break over our 12 hour shift.... if we are on min breaks we have 2 x 20-30min breaks over the shift

X2 60 minute breaks on a 12hr turn.

Interesting how much variance there appears to be across different routes.

My last VDU box aimed for 4 x 60’ break per 12hrs on day turns (Sundays excepted) but could be as ‘little’ as 3 x 45’ if short-staffed (ie only one relief in). If no relief was available, the SSM would have to pitch in and we received an extra three hours’ pay (very much a local rostering agreement, before anyone asks!).

nom de guerre

How does this work? A relief signaller?? Or taken when there is a definite break in traffic on the line? Apologies if that sounds odd, just trying to understand how this would take place.

Not at all.

A dedicated relief signaller who travels between locations, specifically to provide meal breaks.

There are persistent rumours down here that this may be rolled out more widely, depending on the ORR’s recommendations regarding fatigue. We’ll see - it remains very much the exception at present.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

As I understand it, a Relief Signaller drives between each Box, allowing them to take a break, go to the loo and cook a meal.

nom de guerre

When I was a Union safety rep from the mid-1970s until I retired in 1997, (not in a railway-related job) recommendations eventually came in regarding maximum periods one should work at a VDU screen without taking a break. The breaks were recommended in order to prevent both eye strain and loss of concentration. There has been frequent reference in this thread to 12 hour shifts; how are these broken up to give the necessary breaks from the VDUs?

Signallers at VDU locations (usually) receive breaks, but I suspect this is more related to the demands of the role (typically Grade 7 and above) than eye strain guidelines.

At my previous VDU box, we complained to the company about the (relative) lack of breaks during a prolonged period of short-staffing, and were told that the company considered the role of signaller exempt from eye strain guidelines as - I paraphrase - ‘signallers do not stare constantly at their screens’. (True - but which occupation does ...?).

headshot119

Established Member
Not at all.

A dedicated relief signaller who travels between locations, specifically to provide meal breaks.

There are persistent rumours down here that this may be rolled out more widely, depending on the ORR’s recommendations regarding fatigue. We’ll see - it remains very much the exception at present.
The Edge Hill had a similar setup until the boxes got abolished, not sure how long it had been in place for.