• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

89jordanbj

Hi guys, I have applied for signaller opportunities in Worcester, I have only been asked to take the Complete Numerical Ability Test, I thought there were 3 tests that needed to be taken! Could anyone shed any light on this, much appreciated!
I had this happen a few months ago when applying for the Rugby future opportunities. I phoned Recruitment who clarified I had already done the numerical test and updated my application accordingly. Might be worth getting in touch with them.

When did you apply for Worcester? I thought the closing date was back on 9th May?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Woody27

I had this happen a few months ago when applying for the Rugby future opportunities. I phoned Recruitment who clarified I had already done the numerical test and updated my application accordingly. Might be worth getting in touch with them.

When did you apply for Worcester? I thought the closing date was back on 9th May?
Hi mate, I applied on the 9th may, it’s a slow old process!!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Which signal boxes are moving? Maybe crossing keeper is the way to go?

Planned to move into SWCC in 21 or 22 is Park Junction SB and Tondu SB, Port Talbot is also planned to move along with all SB up to and including Carmarthen Junc SB before 2024.

Crossing Keeper does appear to be the best way to get a signaller job in SWCC, at least 6 have passed through in the last 2 years.

Allaboard78

Planned to move into SWCC in 21 or 22 is Park Junction SB and Tondu SB, Port Talbot is also planned to move along with all SB up to and including Carmarthen Junc SB before 2024.

Crossing Keeper does appear to be the best way to get a signaller job in SWCC, at least 6 have passed through in the last 2 years.
So will all those signallers move to the roc?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
A fair chunk will elect to move to other SB, some will be close to retirement so will go. Only the unlucky / to many years to go will come into SWCC.

If your in a nice solo manned SB the thought of coming into a AC sealed office isn’t going to be a very good alternative if you’ve other options.

lucky dip mondays
Chinese tuesdays
Fast food wednesdays (kfc
Turkish thursdays
fish and chips friday
Indian saturdays
roast sundays

add to the local cafe for breakfast and then dealers choice for lunch!!!!

I assume they have a defibrilator at your box?!

LOM

Hello all, does anybody know the amount of ppl that normally get past the initial application form?
It depends how many apply and pass the SHL tests. Could be 1 or 100. The hiring manager will interview no more than 6 candidates for each post.

amanda08

A question regarding shifts and RD.
If my days off are Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday, could I be allocated a night shift on the Thursday which would mean you are actually working on the Friday . And likewise, could you be given a night shift on the Tuesday , into Wednesday, on your last day off?

Thanks

Tomnick

Established Member
A question regarding shifts and RD.
If my days off are Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday, could I be allocated a night shift on the Thursday which would mean you are actually working on the Friday . And likewise, could you be given a night shift on the Tuesday , into Wednesday, on your last day off?

Thanks
You can end up with a night shift that takes you into your rest day, but you can’t be given one on your rest day that takes you into your first day back (unless it’s, e.g. an 00:01 start time, which I’ve never heard of them doing).

LOM

According to the NRP being rostered n/s into a rest day is supposed to be minimised and n/s into annual leave is supposed to be a last resort.

jmoz

Hi All, Had the "more suitable candidate identified" letter for Grade 7 at Feltham ASC today :(

Any external candidates on here who managed to get an interview?

Cjbennett10

Hey all. Regarding the Verbal reasoning test... is there a set bench mark for pass and fail or is it interpreted differently for each application dependent on the scores of others. Thanks

Chumba

Hi All, Had the "more suitable candidate identified" letter for Grade 7 at Feltham ASC today :(

YES lots do myself included

2 years trying
10 applications at 5 different boxes
5 interviews (6th offered but won’t be going and came 2nd on three occasions)
Finally I’ve was offered a Signaller role!

Lee1280

Yes, I did.. And got offered the job, very lucky for my first application too..

So keep going!

jmoz

Yes, I did.. And got offered the job, very lucky for my first application too..

So keep going!
Hi - your offer was for Feltham ASC? Sorry, my question about externals getting an interview was specifically for the Feltham role...

ffesti

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while without posting and have just been offered a role at Edale. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread - it has been incredibly helpful in preparing my application.

No start date yet but I'm very excited to get going.

Could anyone shed some light regarding pay please? As far as I'm aware signallers are paid every 4 weeks - is it one week in arrears?

Billyc87

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while without posting and have just been offered a role at Edale. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread - it has been incredibly helpful in preparing my application.

No start date yet but I'm very excited to get going.

Could anyone shed some light regarding pay please? As far as I'm aware signallers are paid every 4 weeks - is it one week in arrears?
Congratulations, I have just passed the shl tests, what were the next steps for you?

Mi&Li

Well it’s either today or tomorrow we all hear back on our North & East future opportunities applications. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited: