• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

ArkUTD

Ok. Thanks. The application was a bit different this time. Only 14 questions instead of the usual 70. Had an email today saying I will know by March 18th. I'm hoping they haven't changed too much as my SHL passes are good until end of June.
I applied for this one, yet i was straight away rejected, which seemed strange as my answers were not very different to what i've done for my other applications that get all the way through.

A bit frustrating as i felt that would have been the best way in for myself.

Would anyone help me have a look at my CV and answers to the 70 questions to give me advice?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rover77

Hard luck. I feel your frustration, particularly as signaller opportunities are so few and far between in the North West. It does appear that the recruitment process appears a little different from the ones I've applied for over the previous 2 years. I hope you strike it lucky soon.
Does anyone know for sure if the psychometric tests are different or will my latest ones stand?

RedMum77

Congratulations!

Egginton is a lever frame fringe box between Derby and Tutbury, so Track Circuit Block towards Derby and Absolute Block towards Stoke. No nights. Approx 8½hr shifts. 1 train each way an hour. It has a manned level crossing (Hilton), 3 user worked crossings and 2 AHBCs and a crossover. Anything else?
Tyvm. Expected nights so thats a bit of a surprise. Sounds like a fairly quiet box then?

tillylakeland

Hi all applied for a signaller job 5 months ago and got down to the three tests didnt do any revision passed two and failed 1 . I understand i can retake at six months the two i passed were quite low percentage wise does that make a difference or should i just retake the one i failed any revision tips would be appreciated thank you

Kraken

Pretty sure you should be getting the FP as soon as you pass out in the second box, at that point you are flexible.

The problem is that as soon as you've passed out one box, if they start using you to cover a vacancy in that location, you may not get the chance to learn anywhere for a year potentially.

If they start rostering you in after you pass out one box, I'd ask for the FP then.

Speak to your local union rep too
Thanks for the reply - I have now spoken with my LOM and looks like we’ll be getting the FP immediately after passing out of the first box and going on relief roster for it. Excellent news! Very difficult to train up reliefs on multiple boxes due to COVID restrictions I think, which is understandable so looks like a pragmatic response to this.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Do you get FP if you sign another location, I’m a resident not a relief but I also sign another location due to C19 so I’m not an official relief as such?

Wombat123

I read every single page of this before my interview, and I’ve just signed my contract- thank you everyone, it was incredibly useful! It was the first one I applied for so feeling very lucky, can’t wait to start.

Nippy

Do you get FP if you sign another location, I’m a resident not a relief but I also sign another location due to C19 so I’m not an official relief as such?
I used to claim it from TVSC to Greenford or Oxford, but only on the days I went there.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I used to claim it from TVSC to Greenford or Oxford, but only on the days I went there.
That’s the view I took, you got it when you went there makes prefect sense.

My last turn was end of November, so that would of come in the December pay packet. It appears a FP payment was made in Feb pay, which wouldn’t make sense - I’ll speak to Payroll (we’ll try at least):

Kraken

I read every single page of this before my interview, and I’ve just signed my contract- thank you everyone, it was incredibly useful! It was the first one I applied for so feeling very lucky, can’t wait to start.

One application, one job offer. Excellent strike rate! Well done

RedMum77

Wow, things are motoring along for me now. After receiving Formal Offer on Friday, following a call late Thursday afternoon with offer details, forms have all been done today (even received a reminder today to get it all sent back!), and medical is booked for Thursday.

It truly has gone from nothing but waiting after being told I was on the reserve list for Futures last Autumn to absolutely full on today with calls and emails getting it all sorted. Hope for anyone placed on the reserve list because this came completely out of the blue and for a totally different position!

HUGE thanks to all the contributors on here, it has been massively helpful over the last 18 months and even today I have been searching for odd snippets I remember reading as I thought of questions.

Provisional date of 19th April start and 26th April at York for training. Everything became very real today with paperwork etc and I don't think I have stopped grinning :D

SWTurbo

Hi again all, just wondering if anyone knows what the interviews are like for signalling and ops apprentices? Also, at a multi panel location, how long can you expect to be on panel for before taking a break? Is there a set limit?

Saracen_83

Different panels, different locations different break schedules. Some are 2 on panel, 1 off, some 3 on 1 off, 3 on 30mins off etc
There is no hard and fast rule..... and if there is no relief due to sickness etc, you are expected to stay on panel for the whole shift with just minimums (2x20mins) and that’s if they can staff it...
As for interviews, search this forum, multitude of threads and responses about signalling and ops interviews, including advice and practice questions

Sunset route

Hi again all, just wondering if anyone knows what the interviews are like for signalling and ops apprentices? Also, at a multi panel location, how long can you expect to be on panel for before taking a break? Is there a set limit?

Panel breaks are subject to local agreements between the local management and local LDC staff reps linked into the roster that you may or may not be working. There is no national template for breaks.

SWTurbo

Different panels, different locations different break schedules. Some are 2 on panel, 1 off, some 3 on 1 off, 3 on 30mins off etc
There is no hard and fast rule..... and if there is no relief due to sickness etc, you are expected to stay on panel for the whole shift with just minimums (2x20mins) and that’s if they can staff it...
As for interviews, search this forum, multitude of threads and responses about signalling and ops interviews, including advice and practice questions
Ok, so for the sake of argument, if I was working at Colchester PSB (purely for arguments sake) then I’d rock up for shift, be given a panel, and work the whole time aside from the 2x20 mins (or however long) I was allocated for breaks. Are PNBs factored in on multi staff locations or is it a case of hold it in until the break! (Sorry for the random questions!)

Sunset route

Ok, so for the sake of argument, if I was working at Colchester PSB (purely for arguments sake) then I’d rock up for shift, be given a panel, and work the whole time aside from the 2x20 mins (or however long) I was allocated for breaks. Are PNBs factored in on multi staff locations or is it a case of hold it in until the break! (Sorry for the random questions!)

For personal needs out side your rostered breaks if you get any, you to learn how and when to manage your needs. Before they split our busiest panel up, we had 120 trains during the main morning peak hour, I could still find gaps to go to the toilet or make a cup of tea or coffee.

Saracen_83

Again Location specific.... some work the same panel (except if your relief) my place we have 2 panels on our link so I do 2 hours on 1 panel. Then a break then do another 2 hours on the other panel, then a break, then repeat the process...

each signal box operates differently so hard to say

as for PNBs, you get to know the service:D

cogload

Where else do they work? Westbury? I'm local to Salisbury so fairly keen to find out more!
Didn't realise it was G7 however makes sense when you think about it!
Another (possibly rather thick) question, who (aside from Westbury PSB obviously) fringes with salisbury?

The relief sign Basingstoke (all panels), Brockenhurst, the Marchwood Branch and Yeovil Pen Mill.

Salisbury fringes with Eastleigh and Basingstoke WOE/Main panel as well as Westbury.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
The relief sign Basingstoke (all panels), Brockenhurst, the Marchwood Branch and Yeovil Pen Mill.

Salisbury fringes with Eastleigh and Basingstoke WOE/Main panel as well as Westbury.

Bournemouth is currently adverised, I assume they cover Dorchester box?

nom de guerre

Bournemouth is currently adverised, I assume they cover Dorchester box?

And Brock and the Marchwood branch (as well as Bomo, obviously). Also 32% flexi if anyone fancies working 8s...

The 2 x 20 minutes or similar would generally only be when your team is exceptionally short-staffed.

At my previous box we generally aimed for 2 hours on, 1 hour off (working 12 hours shifts). If you were one person short, that would become 'only' 2h 15 split over three breaks, rather than the usual 4 hours. It would only become bare minimum breaks when we were two siggies down, but even then it was always more than 2 x 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Has anyone else see the email from the union regards the communication from Eastern Region?

The dreaded R being mentioned as well.

nom de guerre

Has anyone else see the email from the union regards the communication from Eastern Region?

The dreaded R being mentioned as well.

Yep. Sounds potentially ominous, although I doubt signallers will be directly affected.

Also kicking off on my route re the precise T&Cs of which A/L can be deferred due to Covid...

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I noticed this page on social media come up the other day - obviously trying to expand the reach of the job profiles although I'm sure enough people apply already! Includes Grade 9 position at Victoria.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Yep. Sounds potentially ominous, although I doubt signallers will be directly affected.

Also kicking off on my route re the precise T&Cs of which A/L can be deferred due to Covid...

12 months wasn’t it for AL? I took most of Feb off to clear mine.

I noticed this page on social media come up the other day - obviously trying to expand the reach of the job profiles although I'm sure enough people apply already! Includes Grade 9 position at Victoria.

Anyone think they can’t get people to apply for love nor money !

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
12 months wasn’t it for AL? I took most of Feb off to clear mine.

Anyone think they can’t get people to apply for love nor money !

I suppose there's an attempt by NR to reach a broader diversity of candidates.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I suppose there's an attempt by NR to reach a broader diversity of candidates.

They do have a 50% in all grades target for lady recruitment.

But....some jobs just won’t appeal to women no matter how hard you try to attract them.