A career as a signaller

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Word of warning regarding any allowances, make 100% sure you entitled to it from the point you start getting it. Payroll audit, if youve had one penny more than you should the WILL want it back no matter how long it’s been, they give zero thought to how recovering THEIR error will effect you. Policy is 15% of salary for the shortest period to recover the debt THEY paid in error.

Multi location premiums (12%+) rapidly increase the debt each month.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
Would anyone recommend a secondment to Doncaster PSB for 12 months - Grade 9?
They do say that you have to be in it to win it. I've had colleagues that went to locations like that as a secondment, and secured permanent positions - equally you could be returned to your previous role at the end of a secondment. Whilst I can't share details there are changes afoot in Doncaster PSB regarding creation of new roles, but not creating vacancies. These will be dealt with under the current rules regarding promotion and transfer, which will come down to preference and seniority.

BrummiePete

Wonder if someone might be able to give me some incite. I have recently applied for a grade 4 signaler position and have recently sat my online assessments. Today I received an email saying that my application was being considered, does anyone know if this means I have passed the online assessments or very much a generic reply.
If it says "Under Consideration for Assessment 2" to does mean you reached the required benchmark in the 3 online assessments and you are now being considered for an interview.

Next update should either be an invite to interview or a thanks but no thanks.

Fingers crossed for you

Quib84

If it says "Under Consideration for Assessment 2" to does mean you reached the required benchmark in the 3 online assessments and you are now being considered for an interview.

Next update should either be an invite to interview or a thanks but no thanks.

Fingers crossed for you
Thanks, appreciate that. I went onto my application and it is still sitting at test completed, although shows this twice. Should there be three? I’ve doubled checked that all tests have been completed.

BrummiePete

Thanks, appreciate that. I went onto my application and it is still sitting at test completed, although shows this twice. Should there be three? I’ve doubled checked that all tests have been completed.
Wouldn't worry too much, your tests will have been completed and i think sometimes if HR update the application it shows as an update in your portal and might be why it says application being considered again. As i said the next stage will be interview or unsuccessful and an email will confirm which.

Quib84

Wouldn't worry too much, your tests will have been completed and i think sometimes if HR update the application it shows as an update in your portal and might be why it says application being considered again. As i said the next stage will be interview or unsuccessful and an email will confirm which.
Brilliant. Appreciate the incite.

Kraken

Hi all!

I’m nearing the end of my IST to be a relief signaller, and I’m just wondering when my FP will start to be paid?

Yes, I am aware this question has been asked before, and yes, I am aware of the search facility and have used it in the hope of finding the answer. Unfortunately I found a mixture of answers including people claiming to have received their full FP while at IST, half their FP while at IST, but paid after completion, no FP pay until passed out of their first box, or full FP after IST but before passing out anywhere. I also vaguely remember reading someone saying that you get your ‘full wage’ 12 weeks after employment, regardless of if you pass IST first time round sort of thing? It’s all a bit confusing and although I could ask my LOM or WDS I don’t really want to seem money hungry. Any concrete, definite answers would be hugely appreciated.
I’ve just finished IST and am going to be a GPR. I got paid my FP from the day I joined the company and contacted my LOM to double check whether I ought to be getting it. The result was I had to pay back all the FP I received in one whack which wasn’t much fun!

My LOM has told me that I will get off training pay when I pass out of my first box, then when I have passed out for 50% of the locations I’m going to be covering I will get the FP.

89jordanbj

I’ve just finished IST and am going to be a GPR. I got paid my FP from the day I joined the company and contacted my LOM to double check whether I ought to be getting it. The result was I had to pay back all the FP I received in one whack which wasn’t much fun!

My LOM has told me that I will get off training pay when I pass out of my first box, then when I have passed out for 50% of the locations I’m going to be covering I will get the FP.
Ouch, would have saved a lot of hassle if they had just done it correctly in the first place.

Did they just take the pay from your next pay packet so that tax etc gets taken into account?

I have just been given a verbal offer for a relief position so I will clarify with my new LOM re FP pay once he has sorted my release from my current LOM. I don't want to end up getting the wrong pay and hassle down the line.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Ouch, would have saved a lot of hassle if they had just done it correctly in the first place.

Did they just take the pay from your next pay packet so that tax etc gets taken into account?

I have just been given a verbal offer for a relief position so I will clarify with my new LOM re FP pay once he has sorted my release from my current LOM. I don't want to end up getting the wrong pay and hassle down the line.

Y Fenni Relief ? ;)

nom de guerre

This is more or less the norm, I'd say. Receiving FP at school is a red flag. Receiving FP before passing out at half your locations is also likely to be a mistake (although there is some local variation). As Tom said upthread: if there is any doubt at all, speak to your LOM.

BrummiePete

Wondering if anyone knows the criteria for the different rates for relief flexibility premium?

I know the 4% is for relief in a single location (eg Power Box or ROC) but not sure how the other rates are done, think it is either 18% or 24% (not aware of anything in between 4% and 18%) so guessing it is either on number of boxes you cover, the mileage between boxes you cover or a combination of both

Thanks

Kraken

Yeah they took it back out in one pay packet and I consequently paid less tax so all is square in the end. The Network Rail payroll people were extremely helpful and open and had I wanted to I could have spread it over several pay periods.

I’d an inkling from a previous forum member that this might happen so as soon as I got paid the FP in my first pay packet I put it aside for when I inevitably had to pay it back!

Highlandspring

Established Member
Wondering if anyone knows the criteria for the different rates for relief flexibility premium?

I know the 4% is for relief in a single location (eg Power Box or ROC) but not sure how the other rates are done, think it is either 18% or 24% (not aware of anything in between 4% and 18%) so guessing it is either on number of boxes you cover, the mileage between boxes you cover or a combination of both

Thanks

4%, 12%, 18%, 24% and 32%. It’s done on a combination of mileage and number of boxes as you say, and for RDR how many turns in the base roster are ‘unrostered’ (i.e. how many spare days without a booked shift)

Trackboy

Talking about all this pay related queries. Makes me wonder about my position... I am currently working in grade 5 position have secured Grade 7 position. But I have not been released from my grade 5 position yet but I am claiming Grade 7 pay as it had been nearly a year now.

If now I was to apply for grade 8 or 9 job and assuming I secure the job. Would I have to pay back grade 7 pay back? Although it's not my fault I can't be released from my current grade 5.

nom de guerre

Talking about all this pay related queries. Makes me wonder about my position... I am currently working in grade 5 position have secured Grade 7 position. But I have not been released from my grade 5 position yet but I am claiming Grade 7 pay as it had been nearly a year now.

If now I was to apply for grade 8 or 9 job and assuming I secure the job. Would I have to pay back grade 7 pay back? Although it's not my fault I can't be released from my current grade 5.

I remember you mentioning this a little while ago. Have you spoken to your union rep (as we suggested then)?

Realistically, I seriously doubt you'd be allowed to keep HGD pay for the Grade 7 if you voluntarily elected to move to a G8 or G9 instead. If you choose not to pass out at the G7, I strongly suspect you'd be asked to repay that HGD pay - but your union rep should hopefully be able to confirm.

There have occasionally been situations when the company have allowed signallers to keep hefty amounts of HGD pay, but that has usually been linked to cancelled/postponed resignalling schemes and short staffing* - not a signaller choosing to leave because they got fed up of waiting to be released.

*I know three G5 + 24% reliefs that were allowed to keep 1-2 years' worth of G8/G9 + 24% HGD pay after a cancelled resignalling scheme.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

That would get messy! I’d suggest get installing in your grade 7 job then go for another job later.

Remember, pay errors are NEVER payrolls fault... it’s ALWAYS yours!

SWTurbo

Only heard of one: Salisbury Relief - Grade 7 + 32% (approx 50 mile radius from base).

Some info available via the search function.
Where else do they work? Westbury? I'm local to Salisbury so fairly keen to find out more!
Didn't realise it was G7 however makes sense when you think about it!
Another (possibly rather thick) question, who (aside from Westbury PSB obviously) fringes with salisbury?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Where else do they work? Westbury? I'm local to Salisbury so fairly keen to find out more!
Didn't realise it was G7 however makes sense when you think about it!
Another (possibly rather thick) question, who (aside from Westbury PSB obviously) fringes with salisbury?

Westbury on the Western route, Basingstoke Panel going towards Yeovil, Eastleigh on the Southampton route.

Id expect now Yeovil has gone the relief job at Salisbury is a very cushy number, maybe they work the remaining manual boxes towards London perhaps?

SWTurbo

Westbury on the Western route, Basingstoke Panel going towards Yeovil, Eastleigh on the Southampton route.

Id expect now Yeovil has gone the relief job at Salisbury is a very cushy number, maybe they work the remaining manual boxes towards London perhaps?
Ooooh nice, I take it a post at Salisbury is “dead mans shoes?” It’s definitely somewhere I’d want!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Ooooh nice, I take it a post at Salisbury is “dead mans shoes?” It’s definitely somewhere I’d want!

I enquired about the G7 + 32 % relief job with the LOM, but got no reply.

Id assume a job like is earmarked for someone before the recruitment process even starts, or it’s a paper job.

nom de guerre

We used to have a Grade 1 crossing keeper, now retired, on 32% FP. He earned nearly as much as some grades above him.

Sounds like a class gig!

Having spouted off about how rare 32% jobs are, I've been made aware there's one on the current internal list (although I don't think it's listed as such). 8hr roster though.

Pen Mill is still alive and well, AFAIK?

Salisbury also fringes with Basingstoke on the London side (just east of Laverstock).

The relief job is a Grade 7 because it covers Basingstoke (Salisbury itself is a 6). Last time it was advertised, the locals on here indicated the reliefs tended to spend most of their time covering the crappest shifts at Basing.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Sounds like a class gig!

Having spouted off about how rare 32% jobs are, I've been made aware there's one on the current internal list (although I don't think it's listed as such). 8hr roster though.

Pen Mill is still alive and well, AFAIK?

Salisbury also fringes with Basingstoke on the London side (just east of Laverstock).

The relief job is a Grade 7 because it covers Basingstoke (Salisbury itself is a 6). Last time it was advertised, the locals on here indicated the reliefs tended to spend most of their time covering the crappest shifts at Basing.

Yeovil Pen Mill is still very much alive and well yes, I’d assume the relief job used to cover Yeovil Junction as well as any boxes down towards Exmouth ?

The life of a relief, covering the crap unwanted turns at Basingstoke panel Love it.

I forgot about the triangle at Laverstock Junction, Eastleigh panel down towards Romsey and Basingstoke the London way as you said.

vinchase

Job security will be a huge issue in the next five years, driving isn’t the golden ticket it was only 18 months ago.

There is real talk of reducing staff numbers, okay drivers aren’t anywhere near the top of the hit list but you guys are on there especially from the green eyes monster gang.

Where there is one train or twenty trains you need a signaller to oversee the railway, even on routes with no service there is a signaller booked on duty.

There’s a box near me which has one booked train a day, it’s manned 18hrs a day 6 days a week!

Throughout the C19 issue no signaller has been furlonged or had their hours reduced.

Salary, even grade 10 signalling is comparable to the lowest driving salary at £50,000.

Obviously £60,000 is becoming the standard barer in terms of driver salary now, that’s £60,000 basic which you’ll get with doing zero RDW over overtime which is near impossible with Spare compulsory overtime added etc

Grade 6 you can do easily £80,000 with a bit of RDW obviously only your base is pensionable.

I know blokes at my place who do £110,000 + but they don’t see their families !

Grade 7 you’ll do £80,000-£90,000 without much effort and with seeing your kids.

Progression, Network Rail is flipping massive progression wise the world is your oyster you’ll also benefit from a final salary pension on RPS 40 scheme after 5 years service. Most if not all TOCs don’t offer this anymore.

Everyday is different in some shape or form as a signaller, okay driving is the same but you’ll likely have a fairly similar routine day in day out.

Shifts as a driver vary from 0317 to 1006, 1441 to 2331 you get my meaning. Signallers work 0600-1800 etc.

You can go for a pee or make a tea when you want, unlike driving.

I was offered a driving job way back in 2011 unfortunately unbeknown to me my sight wasn’t good enough in one eye, only then did signalling come into my view.

Looking back it was a godsend to be honest, after over decade as a guard my patients with passengers wouldn’t of lasted, the closest I come to them now is waving as they go by the box !

ultimately it’s only a choice you can make, personally all things considered it would be signalling.

But...signalling isn’t the next best option you need to be 100% invested in it

The only thing I miss about being a guard is the fresh air and travelling along on a summers night with the windows open and the cab heater on lol

Life as a signaller is great, if you choose that path you won’t regret it.
really insightful! thanks for this message, im in a similar position, however i start the role as a grade 4 signaller in Derby in March and really looking forward to it. i understand alot of work and effort to get where i need to be, but looking forward to the challenge! in terms of progression, how frequent are opportunities to progress through the grades, whats a realistic time scale from pass out?

ILoveLamp

. Very strange one. Just checked on the status of my application. It now says application withdrawn. I was expecting it to go to unsuccessful as I haven't been interviewed. I know others were interviews this week.So its gone from under consideration for assessment 2 to under consideration now to application withdrawn. Any ideas anyone

Just got the email. More suitable candidate identified. Ready and waiting for the next one.
What position was this for out of interest, if you don’t mind me asking?

nom de guerre

Yeovil Pen Mill is still very much alive and well yes, I’d assume the relief job used to cover Yeovil Junction as well as any boxes down towards Exmouth ?

The life of a relief, covering the crap unwanted turns at Basingstoke panel Love it.

From memory, I think Pen Mill and Dorchester were (are?) the furthest from base. But Salisbury aren't the only reliefs to cover that patch.

At least if you spent most of your time covering the crappest G7 turns at Basing, you'd be trousering 32% for the 'privilege' :E