• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RedMum77

Just a quick question wrt signalling school if I may. What would I expect to be the finish time on the final, 12th Friday? I'll be in York and have been offered tickets for an event in London for that Friday and just trying to work out if it is viable or not! TIA

89jordanbj

Just a quick question wrt signalling school if I may. What would I expect to be the finish time on the final, 12th Friday? I'll be in York and have been offered tickets for an event in London for that Friday and just trying to work out if it is viable or not! TIA
Are you referring to the final observation week?

If so, you will only be required at signalling school on the day of your observation.

For example, my observation was scheduled for the Monday AM so I stayed in hotel on the Sunday then travelled straight back on the Monday after my observation.

I am not sure if things have changed since then so don't take my word for it.

RedMum77

Are you referring to the final observation week?

If so, you will only be required at signalling school on the day of your observation.

For example, my observation was scheduled for the Monday AM so I stayed in hotel on the Sunday then travelled straight back on the Monday after my observation.

I am not sure if things have changed since then so don't take my word for it.
I am due to start at school 26th April, so I simply counted forward 12 weeks which is what Ive been told, and that would make the final week the one ending Fri 23rd July, the date of the event. I think I will buy the ticket anyway and see closer to the time as they're selling fast and it's a limited capacity event. No biggy if I then can't go but I have the ticket if I can I guess. Thanks

MMM

I am due to start at school 26th April, so I simply counted forward 12 weeks which is what Ive been told, and that would make the final week the one ending Fri 23rd July, the date of the event. I think I will buy the ticket anyway and see closer to the time as they're selling fast and it's a limited capacity event. No biggy if I then can't go but I have the ticket if I can I guess. Thanks
Once you get your email confirming your hotel booking, it will have just one night in the final (11th) week. That'll be the night before the day of your final observation. If you are due to take the observation on the Friday, you might be able to swap with someone else on your course to another day earlier in the week.

RedMum77

Once you get your email confirming your hotel booking, it will have just one night in the final (11th) week. That'll be the night before the day of your final observation. If you are due to take the observation on the Friday, you might be able to swap with someone else on your course to another day earlier in the week.
Thanks. I have been told 12 weeks but will wait for the full info to be sent to me for timings etc. I have booked a ticket so we will see what happens. Won't be an issue selling it on if reqd.

That final week, do you not have to report onto shift after if your assessment is the MOnday then?

Saracen_83

It used to be 12 weeks but they have recently shortened it..

mad for booking onto your box, speak to your LOM. Reach box is different. We were given the rest of that week off, where as others on our course were made to attend straight away (this was a few years back) and with Covid things maybe different. Best thing is speak with your LOm and ask about that week.

As for your assessment day, we didn’t find out til about a week or so before, which day we were

89jordanbj

Thanks. I have been told 12 weeks but will wait for the full info to be sent to me for timings etc. I have booked a ticket so we will see what happens. Won't be an issue selling it on if reqd.

That final week, do you not have to report onto shift after if your assessment is the MOnday then?
I was given the Tuesday off as I had a long travel back after my observation.

Others on the course had the rest of the week off (but bear in mind some of them had observations late in the week as it is only 2 people per day).

As mentioned above, check with your LOM nearer the time is your best bet.

Good luck at school, put the work in and you will enjoy it. I loved my time there.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
A fantastic, and extremely rare opportunity to join Network Rail as a MOM (mobile operations manager) at Worcester is currently externally advertised.

Signalling grade 6 salary.

Scooby123

Evening. With secondments do they generally turn into permanent positions? Or do most only last the amount of time advertised (I.e. 6/12 months). And what happens at the end of it if you don’t have a previous box to return to if your new to the company? Thanks

KendalR

Evening. With secondments do they generally turn into permanent positions? Or do most only last the amount of time advertised (I.e. 6/12 months). And what happens at the end of it if you don’t have a previous box to return to if your new to the company? Thanks
Secondments in the signalling grades will almost certainly lead to a permanent position. Either by your secondment role becoming permanent itself or you getting a job elsewhere by having access to the internal vacancy list before the go external along with the fact you will already be a signaller.

They spend tens of thousands of pounds training you which will take up to 6 months if not more in some cases. So there's no benefit of terminating your contract within a couple of months of you becoming a passed out qualified Signaller.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Do any signallers here know what is meant by "Level 2 Rules and Regulations"?

The competence levels are part of the operational competence framework and they refer to the depth of operational knowledge required of the rules; they run from 3 to 0 with 3 being 'awareness' and 0 being 'expert'. The levels are shown in Appendix A of NR/L3/Ops/045/2.01.

Level 2 is 'occupational' and it's the standard of knowledge that signaller needs to demonstrate under assessment to deem them competent. Level 1 rules is equivalent to the old Schedule A if anyone can remember that.

ArchangelA

That's really useful to know. Thank you.
The competence levels are part of the operational competence framework and they refer to the depth of operational knowledge required of the rules; they run from 3 to 0 with 3 being 'awareness' and 0 being 'expert'. The levels are shown in Appendix A of NR/L3/Ops/045/2.01.

Level 2 is 'occupational' and it's the standard of knowledge that signaller needs to demonstrate under assessment to deem them competent. Level 1 rules is equivalent to the old Schedule A if anyone can remember that.

Rubble

Hello, im in IST right now and trying to decide which signal box to apply for. Can anyone share insights of how you feel about going straight from IST into a high grade signal box? Pros and cons?

GingerRH

Hello, im in IST right now and trying to decide which signal box to apply for. Can anyone share insights of how you feel about going straight from IST into a high grade signal box? Pros and cons?
You must already have a box to go to, you don’t get sent to IST without one..?

HamSandwich

You must already have a box to go to, you don’t get sent to IST without one..?
Not any more, I was taken in as part of the Future Opportunities intake, where you are assigned to an area but you don't have a box, you have to apply to boxes as well as go through IST. It means we are "ready" I guess to start when vacancies come available.

GingerRH

Not any more, I was taken in as part of the Future Opportunities intake, where you are assigned to an area but you don't have a box, you have to apply to boxes as well as go through IST. It means we are "ready" I guess to start when vacancies come available.
I can’t imagine that’s going to be going on much longer with NR looking to cut costs!

What grade do you get paid on IST and what would they learn..? AB/TCB/IECC?

HamSandwich

Ask as many people as you can about their job (which is what you've done here). Email all your local boxes and ask if you can visit or ask them some questions at a time that suits them, about their role and what it's like working where they are. :)

I can’t imagine that’s going to be going on much longer with NR looking to cut costs!

Grade 1 most likely, and I guess it depends on what there is nearby as to what your LOM thinks is most suitable.

Rubble

Yeah in training for AB on future opportunities so I don’t have a box to go to and not allowed to visit any boxes because of covid. Im looking on the internal vanacy list and can’t decide what to apply for as there’s limited information about the locations beside the grade.

SmokeAndJoe

Yeah in training for AB on future opportunities so I don’t have a box to go to and not allowed to visit any boxes because of covid. Im looking on the internal vanacy list and can’t decide what to apply for as there’s limited information about the locations beside the grade.
High grade is good because you'll apply a lot of rules on a regular basis, reinforcing them. It's also a challenge remembering rules and trying to learn the area at the same time, but you'll have people with you whilst you're learning so not bad.

If you start off in a low grade, then move to an 8 or 9, it can feel like a whole new job, so pros and cons.

Personally I wouldn't recommend the roc environment for a new signaller, not enough collaboration for my liking but each to their own.

What area are you in?

It’s much cheaper to train us all on grade 1 than on a grade below our final salary - plus we are on Fixed Term Contracts so a lot easier to get rid of us if we fail!
Add to that that we can all be taken on in one fell swoop so all the admin is centralised and one phase of interviews.
Overall makes a lot of sense really.

Defenestrate

Your rules knowledge should be fresh and up to date, which is a bonus - there's no harm in applying for any grade.

There's a number of jobs in the Birmingham area - which i presume is your location - being advertised atm. Even if you're unsuccessful with those, if you apply, i would bet that some lower grades become available in the area shortly, as the currently advertised vacancies are filled.

Each internal advert has a contact name (and sometimes an email/phone number) - if there are no contact details, then these can be obtained with a little search on myconnect or the outlook email directory: I'd give the LOM for each job you may be considering a call and have a chat to discuss with them. Each person i've called has been quite helpful in answering the basics, as well as giving an insight into the area/box.

SmokeAndJoe

Your rules knowledge should be fresh and up to date, which is a bonus - there's no harm in applying for any grade.

There's a number of jobs in the Birmingham area - which i presume is your location - being advertised atm. Even if you're unsuccessful with those, if you apply, i would bet that some lower grades become available in the area shortly, as the currently advertised vacancies are filled.

Each internal advert has a contact name (and sometimes an email/phone number) - if there are no contact details, then these can be obtained with a little search on myconnect or the outlook email directory: I'd give the LOM for each job you may be considering a call and have a chat to discuss with them. Each person i've called has been quite helpful in answering the basics, as well as giving an insight into the area/box.
Very good advice.

89jordanbj

My personal opinion.. Apply for any positions within a reasonable commute. You don't want to end up missing out then kicking yourself down the line because you didn't apply for jobs and then none come up on the internal list for a long time.

I was grateful to just be given the chance of being a signaller so as long I was within 40/50 minutes commute I was happy.

SWTurbo

Hello All!

Just doing some prep for my interview (Anglia ops + signalling apprentice) and wanted to see if there was some slightly more up-to-date info available as I just want to make sure that there have been no significant changes to the layout of the boxes!

If anyone can confirm or deny the situations at:

Cambridge??? (crossing keepers + PSB?)

Colchester (1 G3 panel, 4 G8 panels???)

Ipswich? (AFAIK is controlled from colly?)

Willesden – Carriage shed N + S boxes (G3 boxes)?

Liverpool St. – IECC (5 G9 panels, 3 G8 panels)?

I would be most appreciative!

(Apologies if I've missed something in my searches!)

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Hello All!

Just doing some prep for my interview (Anglia ops + signalling apprentice) and wanted to see if there was some slightly more up-to-date info available as I just want to make sure that there have been no significant changes to the layout of the boxes!

If anyone can confirm or deny the situations at:

Cambridge??? (crossing keepers + PSB?)

Colchester (1 G3 panel, 4 G8 panels???)

Ipswich? (AFAIK is controlled from colly?)

Willesden – Carriage shed N + S boxes (G3 boxes)?

Liverpool St. – IECC (5 G9 panels, 3 G8 panels)?

I would be most appreciative!

(Apologies if I've missed something in my searches!)

Willesden Carriage Shed North is LNW if I’m not very much mistaken (I think South is now on Alstom infrastructure)

Colchester controls Chitts Hill to Norwich/Clacton/Walton/Felixstowe