• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Llanigraham

On Moderation
A/L = annual leave.

On 8 hour shifts you spend 30% more on your cost of getting to work than when on 12's. That could be a considerable sum.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
Hi nom de guerre,

Pardon my ignorance, but what does '17/18 days' A/L' mean?
It's the amount of Annual Leave days allocated to the roster. I forget the calculation figure, but it's based on the base roster hours. Someone on an 8 hour roster will have more annual leave days than a person on a 12 hour roster. However it will also affect the amount of rest days in a base roster. As already mentioned those with over ten years service also get extra A/L days. Of course everyone gets the statutory bank holidays, which are shown as Lieu or Comp leave.

gareth386

Got a date for signalling school now, I go up on the 19th of Feb. Next available date after that was April, so fell in lucky with a cancellation by the look of it.
I'm after a bit of info regarding boxes near to me if possible please, I live in Ebbw Vale and was told I would end up in a box up to 40 minutes or so away from me, obviously closer would be better but I've got to start somewhere.
What boxes are in that sort of distance of me please?
What grades are the boxes?
What rotas do they work please? 8 or 12 hrs?
Any other info you could provide me with would be great.

I know that's a lot to ask but I'm just trying to see my options.
Cheers all

nom de guerre

I know not aimed at me but,

17 days Leave less than 10 years service
18 days Leave more than 10 years service

Actually meant 17 or 18 days' A/L for less than 10 years' service (hence "initially"). Based on previous conversations here: my place and Ashford are 18 days; IIRC your new 12hr link is 17 days - I was hedging my bets!

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Got a date for signalling school now, I go up on the 19th of Feb. Next available date after that was April, so fell in lucky with a cancellation by the look of it.
I'm after a bit of info regarding boxes near to me if possible please, I live in Ebbw Vale and was told I would end up in a box up to 40 minutes or so away from me, obviously closer would be better but I've got to start somewhere.

Cheers all

What Boxes were listed on your Application?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Cheers all

Is this the 12month FTC paper based at SWCC?

Your nearest would be Park Junction on the Ebbw Vale Branch down in Newport - Grade 3 lever frame and a small NX for the Ebbw Line.

Youve also got Tondu down Bridgend way, another 3 I believe, then there are the southern marches line SB at Little Mill (3) Abergavenny (3) and Hereford (5) but I think they come under a different LOM.

I know Park Junc had a vacancy open due to one of the residents moving to another location.

I was offered the same job back in 2016, but took a full time contract in the end - however the four lads who did take the jobs are all now on full time contracts now at Neath & Brecon, Park Junction, Tondu and somewhere else which escapes me now.

I’d assume you’ll go to York Signalling School ?

gareth386

Is this the 12month FTC paper based at SWCC?

Your nearest would be Park Junction on the Ebbw Vale Branch down in Newport - Grade 3 lever frame and a small NX for the Ebbw Line.

Youve also got Tondu down Bridgend way, another 3 I believe, then there are the southern marches line SB at Little Mill (3) Abergavenny (3) and Hereford (5) but I think they come under a different LOM.

I know Park Junc had a vacancy open due to one of the residents moving to another location.

I was offered the same job back in 2016, but took a full time contract in the end - however the four lads who did take the jobs are all now on full time contracts now at Neath & Brecon, Park Junction, Tondu and somewhere else which escapes me now.

I’d assume you’ll go to York Signalling School ?

Good afternoon, cheers for getting back to me.
Yeah it's 12 month contract based at SWCC. I start on Monday. Then yes I'm off to York for signalling school.
Thanks for all the information, Park junction sounds like it would be ideal location wise, will just have to wait and see what jobs are available once I'm fully trained.
I was a bit sceptical with the 12 month contract part but it was said at interview that it could become common place to give people an extra push to pass all their training. And for me its a foot in the door and an opportunity to get out of my current place.
Should I expect any sort of differences in my training after signalling school with this job? or is it the same stuff?
Any other information would be greatly received.
Thank you

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
There’ll be real world differences between what you learn in school and what you do in real life.

At Park you won’t use bell codes, but I assume you’ll do the AB course so will learn them. You’ll also do a TCB conversion once you finish the AB course.

12 month contracts only seem to be for SB which are closing shortly under resignalling schemes, but Wales route seem to like them as it gives them a pool of ready people to fill vacancies once they get back from school.

You’ll enjoy York uni if your lucky enough to stay there......

gareth386

There’ll be real world differences between what you learn in school and what you do in real life.

At Park you won’t use bell codes, but I assume you’ll do the AB course so will learn them. You’ll also do a TCB conversion once you finish the AB course.

12 month contracts only seem to be for SB which are closing shortly under resignalling schemes, but Wales route seem to like them as it gives them a pool of ready people to fill vacancies once they get back from school.

You’ll enjoy York uni if your lucky enough to stay there......
Cheers. Would maybe be a bit better to know exactly where I'm going to end up once I finish school but the unknown is interesting I guess.
Really looking forward to it now, just want to get started.
Are there many different places that they use for accommodation whilst in York?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
When i was up there at pretty much the same time as you last year, we stopped at York Uni (2 Weeks), Hotel 63 (lush steak) 2 weeks, Holiday Express (3 weeks) and two other places which names escape me.

You get an allowance for tea £30 I think it was each day, dinner is free (£5 allowance) at school and breakfast as served each day.

Monday is a late start 1000, Friday finish about dinner time.

Your LOM will book tickets for you up and down Sunday up, Friday down - you get paid 6hrs non premium Sunday.

Have you started at SWCC yet then ?

gareth386

When i was up there at pretty much the same time as you last year, we stopped at York Uni (2 Weeks), Hotel 63 (lush steak) 2 weeks, Holiday Express (3 weeks) and two other places which names escape me.

You get an allowance for tea £30 I think it was each day, dinner is free (£5 allowance) at school and breakfast as served each day.

Monday is a late start 1000, Friday finish about dinner time.

Your LOM will book tickets for you up and down Sunday up, Friday down - you get paid 6hrs non premium Sunday.

Have you started at SWCC yet then ?

I start on Monday. What should I expect in my first week?

Bloody hell, £30 a night for food, Be eating like a king :) Bet it was nice to change accommodation, different food, different environment, etc.

How did you find the work?

Were you putting many extra hours in on revision? I'm expecting to have to do a couple of hours every evening, both group revision with the guys on the course with me and individual work.

Do all the guys on the course stay in the same hotels? would make life easier with regards to revision.

What hours were you in school Tuesday to Thursday?

Thank you for all the info.

Saracen_83

Anyone know anything about the Dorking and Arundel signaller roles??? 3 at arundel, 2 at dorking. Says scheme support????

What does this mean?
Does anyone know the shift pattern? 8 or 12hrs??

Last edited:

nom de guerre

8 hours.

Usually, Scheme Support means providing cover in the lead-up to a resignalling scheme. In other words, working Arundel/Dorking so some of the signallers already based there can go and train on new workstation(s) at, I presume, TBROC.

Nb I gather the Arundel area is one of the few nationwide to enjoy a mobile Meal Break Relief (i.e. you'll receive a dedicated meal break during each weekday shift).

Freckles

Morning all, quick question for anyone who has recently been on or is due to soon start signalling school: Have you had an email from a mob called Babcock Apprenticeships?

I got an email from them this morning saying I'd expressed an interest in taking a qualification with them, but for the life of me have never heard of them before. The only thing I can think is that they have something to do with the training at Sig School?

I'm wary about clicking on the link at the mo or enter any personal info as you read all the time about dodgy emails being opened and then 2 seconds later someone has all your bank details etc. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid but if anyone else can confirm/deny whether they've had similar then I'll know whether to delete or not.

Many thanks.

Saracen_83

8 hours.

Usually, Scheme Support means providing cover in the lead-up to a resignalling scheme. In other words, working Arundel/Dorking so some of the signallers already based there can go and train on new workstation(s) at, I presume, TBROC.

Nb I gather the Arundel area is one of the few nationwide to enjoy a mobile Meal Break Relief (i.e. you'll receive a dedicated meal break during each weekday shift).

Thanks for this, think I will give this a miss then, as a sounds like a fixed term role and b) don’t like the sound of 8 hour rota!!!

Thanks for the reply.

Will keep holding out hopes that I hear back from TBROC which is the role I really want! But the longer I’m waiting and hearing others going for interview, the more I’m thinking I have not got an interview and I am unsuccessful

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Morning all, quick question for anyone who has recently been on or is due to soon start signalling school: Have you had an email from a mob called Babcock Apprenticeships?

I got an email from them this morning saying I'd expressed an interest in taking a qualification with them, but for the life of me have never heard of them before. The only thing I can think is that they have something to do with the training at Sig School?

I'm wary about clicking on the link at the mo or enter any personal info as you read all the time about dodgy emails being opened and then 2 seconds later someone has all your bank details etc. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid but if anyone else can confirm/deny whether they've had similar then I'll know whether to delete or not.

Many thanks.

They run the apprenticeship side of the training program, you’ll meet you at certain points during your first year and sign you off at each point.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I start on Monday. What should I expect in my first week?

Bloody hell, £30 a night for food, Be eating like a king :) Bet it was nice to change accommodation, different food, different environment, etc.

How did you find the work?

Were you putting many extra hours in on revision? I'm expecting to have to do a couple of hours every evening, both group revision with the guys on the course with me and individual work.

Do all the guys on the course stay in the same hotels? would make life easier with regards to revision.

What hours were you in school Tuesday to Thursday?

Thank you for all the info.

Hotel 63 the steak is to die for lush
Steak and chips every night lol

You all stay at the same place, as it’s block booked at the start of the course.

Tuesday to Thursday working hours are 0900 to about 1600.

You’ll need to get simulator time in, but not the 25 hours they say - to be honest you’ll be so knackered after a day of hard studying the last thing you want to do is go on the sun for a few hours eacha day.

I was doing a good 2/3 hrs night, but nothing on the weekend I kept that railway free spend time with the family and unwind.

Greatful

Hi,
I've note contacted the LOM yet, but would Anyone know where April signalling school will be . I'm I right to think it will be Basingstoke, If anyone has information about basingstoke signalling school please share please . Seems alot is spoken about York school . Would like to know What' sort of structure of courses are at Basingstoke school also what is it meant by having absolute block course etc I assumed all courses are the same where ever it is based.

Thank you

JMH77

Morning all,

I think I know the answer but wondered if someone could just clear it up for me. I recently applied for a grade 3 position but was unsuccessful at the online tests stage (my own fault for rushing and not preparing properly) as I didn't reach the required benchmark score.

What I wasn't 100% sure on is whether there is a set benchmark score you have to reach regardless of grade applied for in order to go further or whether they mean I didn't reach the required benchmark score for that grade, or specifically for that role, as others scored higher?

I'm happy(ish) to wait another 5 months or so before I can re-take the tests but wondered if there was any point in applying for any similar positions which may come up before then? Unfortunately you can't ask for feedback and presumably can't see how you scored on the individual tests.

Thanks

Southernsig

Morning all,

I think I know the answer but wondered if someone could just clear it up for me. I recently applied for a grade 3 position but was unsuccessful at the online tests stage (my own fault for rushing and not preparing properly) as I didn't reach the required benchmark score.

What I wasn't 100% sure on is whether there is a set benchmark score you have to reach regardless of grade applied for in order to go further or whether they mean I didn't reach the required benchmark score for that grade, or specifically for that role, as others scored higher?

I'm happy(ish) to wait another 5 months or so before I can re-take the tests but wondered if there was any point in applying for any similar positions which may come up before then? Unfortunately you can't ask for feedback and presumably can't see how you scored on the individual tests.

Thanks
Yeah still apply mate, it might just be that 5 others scored higher, next time round you may well be in the top 5... a lot of it is down to luck!

gareth386

Hotel 63 the steak is to die for lush
Steak and chips every night lol

You all stay at the same place, as it’s block booked at the start of the course.

Tuesday to Thursday working hours are 0900 to about 1600.

You’ll need to get simulator time in, but not the 25 hours they say - to be honest you’ll be so knackered after a day of hard studying the last thing you want to do is go on the sun for a few hours eacha day.

I was doing a good 2/3 hrs night, but nothing on the weekend I kept that railway free spend time with the family and unwind.

I was planning on doing the same with regards to having time with the family on the weekend. Do some revision on the train but nothing at home. Try and have some time off.

Thanks for all the info, looking forward to my steak and chips now.

JMH77

Yeah still apply mate, it might just be that 5 others scored higher, next time round you may well be in the top 5... a lot of it is down to luck!

Thanks for the reply. Not being familiar with the process I took it as there was a benchmark score that needed to be reached in order to be considered for any role rather than that I just hadn't achieved a high enough score for that role in particular in comparison to other applicants. That makes me feel better in that I didn't necessarily flunk the tests in general, just that my scores weren't high enough on that occasion.