• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jdxn

Does anyone know the likely closure date for Wembley SCC for its move to Rugby?

nom de guerre

The most recent internal brief (March 2017!) says plans for the migration of further signalling workstations to Rugby ROC are "uncertain at present" due to the "increased cost of signalling projects" which has led to "prioritisation of available funds to other areas" - plus ca change.

Also talks about the proposed migration of WMSC to Rugby and states "no firm plans within CP5" (which ends in 2019).

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I start in April as well (TBASC) and have been booked on the April course. I asked my LOM the other day and he said it was going to be in York

I haven’t got any details yet, I just know. That I am starting right after Easter at the ASC (presumably for induction) but have no idea yet what is happening after the first day.

Suppose I will find out soon. I was offered the job well before Christmas so another few weeks wait won’t matter!!!

Usually you’ll get sent out to places like your local TOC Control/NWR Control, a day out with a MOM, neighbouring SB etc

All very well worth doing, although once you’ve done the important stuff, it does seem to be they want to get rid of you for a few days.

cogload

Salisbury Grade 7 Relief with a 32% Relief premium attached !

Second time it’s besn advertised internally at least, surely it’s a typo the premium ?

If not I would have thought people would jump at it, any idea what other locations they cover ?

Salisbury isn't a bad place to work. Very good for intra company (ahem) relationships.

They are having problems filling this vacancy. It could be that certain boxes on the LSWR have a bit of a reputation...

cogload

Good Afternoon.
I am new to both the forum and the railway as I work as a Flight Information Service officer in the Cotswolds, and I would like to ask a question:
I had an interview for a Grade 2 signaller job in the local area a month ago, and I had no response yet.

Is a waiting time like this normal for a signaller application?

Thank you

Yes. Are you monitoring your application online?

This company has big problems with it's HR. When I applied for my old job at a certain signalbox I heard nothing until I got a phone call one morning whilst on shift at another signalbox asking where I was and why wasn't I at the interview..I hadn't been told that I had the interview.

Suffice to say I didn't get that job. Mind you there were other issues at play.

linnet_ranger

8 hours.

Usually, Scheme Support means providing cover in the lead-up to a resignalling scheme. In other words, working Arundel/Dorking so some of the signallers already based there can go and train on new workstation(s) at, I presume, TBROC.

Nb I gather the Arundel area is one of the few nationwide to enjoy a mobile Meal Break Relief (i.e. you'll receive a dedicated meal break during each weekday shift).

I applied for a signalling position at Arundel back in August but was unsuccessful. I am going to give this another go. I didn't read that this was a fixed-term position so would be hopeful that they are permanent positions. Here's hoping I can get an interview this time. My test results were good enough for Grade 6 last time...just other more suitable candidates I guess.

choochoobacca

On my Network rail jobs account, 2 of the positions I applied for were updated to 'invite to assessment 2 pending' on Jan 8th (both at Peterborough)...
Firstly, am I correct in assuming this means I have got through to interview?
Secondly, should I be concerned that I have heard nothing in the 3 weeks since that update? Is it fairly normal to be told 'you have got through to interview' but then hear nothing for some considerable time? I appreciate everything is fairly slow moving in the industry but just wondering if anybody else experienced similar on their way to a job?
Hoping somebody can put my mind at rest basically, without me needing to contact HR and be a 'pest'.

AWSpaul

On my Network rail jobs account, 2 of the positions I applied for were updated to 'invite to assessment 2 pending' on Jan 8th (both at Peterborough)...
Firstly, am I correct in assuming this means I have got through to interview?
Secondly, should I be concerned that I have heard nothing in the 3 weeks since that update? Is it fairly normal to be told 'you have got through to interview' but then hear nothing for some considerable time? I appreciate everything is fairly slow moving in the industry but just wondering if anybody else experienced similar on their way to a job?
Hoping somebody can put my mind at rest basically, without me needing to contact HR and be a 'pest'.

Calm down, take it easy with Cadbury's Caramel.

You'll know for sure 100% you have an interview when the letter is attached to your account. The 'assesment 2 pending' means you probably will be getting one, but not 100% as if you have the letter saying so. I have gotten all the way to that stage in the past and dropped it, probably the manager didn't like my CV or something, maybe someone came in last minute etc from inside. However mostly when it went to that assesment 2 status I started expecting an interview and usually got one.

Assesment 2 pending is basically the last stage because then the status just changes to things like assesment 2 completed, under consideration, formal offer sent, formal offer accepted etc. Sometimes I'd get annoyed having a look at the other just and seeing unsuccesful on the job that was at assessment 2 completed stage, but that's just how it is. Hopefully you get the intveriews and the offers, if not, keep on hammering away at the applications. Depends how much you want it.

The proccess takes a L O N G time, longer for some than others, don't bother ringing up HR Manchester unless you think something is wrong IMO.

choochoobacca

Calm down, take it easy with Cadbury's Caramel.

You'll know for sure 100% you have an interview when the letter is attached to your account. The 'assesment 2 pending' means you probably will be getting one, but not 100% as if you have the letter saying so. I have gotten all the way to that stage in the past and dropped it, probably the manager didn't like my CV or something, maybe someone came in last minute etc from inside. However mostly when it went to that assesment 2 status I started expecting an interview and usually got one.

Assesment 2 pending is basically the last stage because then the status just changes to things like assesment 2 completed, under consideration, formal offer sent, formal offer accepted etc. Sometimes I'd get annoyed having a look at the other just and seeing unsuccesful on the job that was at assessment 2 completed stage, but that's just how it is. Hopefully you get the intveriews and the offers, if not, keep on hammering away at the applications. Depends how much you want it.

The proccess takes a L O N G time, longer for some than others, don't bother ringing up HR Manchester unless you think something is wrong IMO.

AWSPaul, many thanks for the reply and advice, it’s much appreciated. Got my fingers crossed and a few other applications at various stages so hopefully one will be ‘the one’ for me

linnet_ranger

Just received an email confirming my test results are with NR and that I should find out if they are good enough to go through to being considered for interview. I should hope so as my test results were good enough for G6 in August and thise test results have been used again.

Whilst looking back over my previous application, I note that the hiring descriptions are different. The role advertised for arundel signal box in August was a G6 relief role x1 and the hiring description was L.O.M. SU. This time it is East Sussex Signallers. Any thoughts on this?

Also, was the relief role filled last year? They are advertising for three this time round. Surprising to see so many unless it's because the current incumbents have secured roles elsewhere in the network (TBROC?) or retired.

Have these roles already been advertised internally without success or does it go internally and externally at the same time? I saw the 24% premium and can imagine that would turn some people on to it, but then the 8 hour pattern and flexibility premium might suggest lots of crappy shifts so could see it switching people off too.

I know Arundel gets quite busy. I would find that both challenging and rewarding in equal measure. I really hope I get an interview in the months ahead.

nom de guerre

FYI, the Arundel job is also on the internal list, closing date 13 Feb.

I wonder if the mention of Scheme Support is a typo; last I heard, there were no resignalling plans for the area in CP6 (2019-2024).

TBC...

linnet_ranger

Thanks nom de guerre. Very helpful for an external applicant like me to know. For us it closes today, so knowing it closes in two weeks later helps explain why it often takes a long time to hear anything. Most grateful.

Sunset route

Established Member
Whilst looking back over my previous application, I note that the hiring descriptions are different. The role advertised for arundel signal box in August was a G6 relief role x1 and the hiring description was L.O.M. SU. This time it is East Sussex Signallers. Any thoughts on this?

These are just my thoughts based on what’s happened in the not so distant past.

Scheme relief on Suusex area will usually imply staff taken on to cover the closure of signallboxes, that’s how it was operated when Berwick to Bexhill went to TBROC and Billingshurst to Amberley went to TBASC. NR are gearing up for Lewes to Seaford to migrate to TBROC and I’m guessing that as Lancing three panels are part of the East Coastway Area and to save the new posts from being displaced as well they are choosing to temporarily allocate the temporary scheme relief jobs to Arundel to still allow cross covering whilst keeping them out of the effected closing area. Note that Lancing is covered by the Lewes relief, which will be relocated, displaced or paid off. Once the Lewes area is gone there will be another reorganisation of the remaining signalboxes which will bring Lancing back into the Coastway West area again.

Last edited:

linnet_ranger

These are just my thoughts based on what’s happened in the not distant past.

Scheme relief on Suusex area will usually imply staff taken on to cover the closure of signallboxes, that’s how it was operated when Berwick to Bexhill went to TBROC and Billingshurst to Amberley went to TBASC. NR are gearing up for Lewes to Seaford to migrate to TBROC and I’m guessing that as Lancing three panels are part of the East Coastway Area and to save the new posts from being displaced as well they are choosing to temporarily allocate the temporary scheme relief jobs to Arundel to still allow cross covering whilst keeping them out of the effected closing area. Note that Lancing is covered by the Lewes relief, which will be relocated, displaced or paid off. Once the Lewes area is gone there will be another reorganisation of the remaining signalboxes which will bring Lancing back into the Coastway West area again.

Thanks for your thoughts Sunset. That theory is one that would make sense. It's something I will look to explore if I am lucky enough to get to interview. Test results have met the benchmark so up to the reviewing manager in good time.

The shift premium from previous posts in this forum reflects the flexibility of the cross site cover and the potential for those shifts to be relatively short notice/nights etc if I understand correctly. Is that right?

Likewise, I presume the shift allowance replaces any overtime etc for the likes of rostered Sundays/BH's?

nom de guerre

A little more info re Arundel...

The jobs are permanent and cover the usual Arundel Relief area (Arundel, Barnham, Bognor, Chichester and Littlehampton).

Nothing to do with resignalling - in this case, the 'scheme' being 'supported' is new funding (to provide more reliefs and rest breaks at certain boxes). I suspect it's a similar story with the Dorking job.

linnet_ranger

Thanks Nom! With people as knowledgeable and willing to offer thoughtful advice as the likes of you and Sunset, it just makes me want the job all the more. Ta for looking into it.

I live in Littlehampton so in terms of geography, the relief area you've detailed would be perfect in terms of a commute. The advert has closed externally now so I shall sit back and wait (and wait) to see what happens. Cheers!

KMCM

Hi all

I've been applying for Signalling roles in the Sussex area and have 3 'Application Under Consideration' for Crawley x2 and Lancing. These have been live from Nov/Dec and since reading through this thread I've written them off as Unsuccessful due to some guys having interviews (for the ROC positions certainly) weeks ago. I also have a Crossing Keeper application that has been 'Under Consideration for Assessment 2' for 4 weeks so you are all correct when you mention that the process is very slow! Thinking the longer it goes on the less chance I have. No worries as I'll keep on plugging away to get in the industry and luckily quite a few roles come up frequently in my area. Anyway, thanks to you all, both within Signalling and those trying to get in, for the information and advice that you all put on here and I can imagine there are many of us newbies who frequently tap into this thread of knowledge! :D

Saracen_83

Hi does anyone have any knowledge of the West Hamsted signalling role on the network rail website?? Grade 8......

Shift pattern, routes, systems etc

Supercoss

WH controls Kentish Town to just North of Sharnbrook Junction ( north of Bedford)
Tottenham Lines towards Upper Holloway, Brent and Cricklewood Curves to Dudding Hill (exc) and Bedford to Bedford St Johns on Bletchley Branch.
12 hour shifts 7-19 19-7 with 3 NX signal panels, 4th signaller on duty for meal break duties rotating between panels
Nice place to work - shortly to have £8Million TMS Traffic Management System installed for area south of Luton. All TCB no axle counters or public level crossings
All looked over by shift signaller managers also working 12 hours.

Greatful

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me 2017 - 2018 what sort of test each module test consists of , i.e wrritten test etc. Are all test conducted in class room with pen and paper or are test done by computer test within class room. I heard the last test is written test can someone please explain what that is about while explaining the other test and what there about. Sorry for repeating myself

Appriciated

jdxn

Can anyone please tell me 2017 - 2018 what sort of test each module test consists of , i.e wrritten test etc. Are all test conducted in class room with pen and paper or are test done by computer test within class room. I heard the last test is written test can someone please explain what that is about while explaining the other test and what there about. Sorry for repeating myself

You mean at signalling school? They are all written although the first one has has more multichoice than the others. The 2nd and 3rd ones have more situation based questions where you would have to describe the signaller's actions in a certain scenario. They are looking for detailed answers and are quite exacting in the marking, so good revision essential. The second and third tests are similar in design but the pass mark increases. The bottom line is that there is no point in worrying about what is in the exams until you have to do them . If you work hard and revise as you go on it is perfectly possible to pass. If you can't be bothered and don't put the effort in you will go home early - which is fair enough really.

slidingdoors

You get a reply on that vacancy.
I passed the initial online tests, then waited ages and got a response that the position had been withdrawn. Not sure if that means I was unsuccessful or it was genuine. If you guys are still waiting maybe it's still available.

Greatful

You mean at signalling school? They are all written although the first one has has more multichoice than the others. The 2nd and 3rd ones have more situation based questions where you would have to describe the signaller's actions in a certain scenario. They are looking for detailed answers and are quite exacting in the marking, so good revision essential. The second and third tests are similar in design but the pass mark increases. The bottom line is that there is no point in worrying about what is in the exams until you have to do them . If you work hard and revise as you go on it is perfectly possible to pass. If you can't be bothered and don't put the effort in you will go home early - which is fair enough really.

Thank you ,

Appriciate your time on this .

gareth386

With the jobs being only till September of 2019 what are the possibilities of remaining as a signaller for a external candidate?
The job that I have just started is a fixed term contract, working out of Cardiff ROC. Myself and others have been taken on as part of a pool, so that they have got people ready to step into jobs when they become available, instead of having to advertise and go through all the recruitment process and then onto Signal school etc. There's a good chance that if you don't get a job by the time you're contract is up that they will keep you on until you do find a job, they wouldn't spend all the money getting you trained for you to then leave the company or go to another department where you need more training.
That's obviously assuming that it will be the same as my current situation.
Plus it's a bit of security for them, if you fail signal school they can then let you go at the end of your contract instead of having to find you a position elsewhere.