• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

gareth386

Three jobs are Park Junction, and one on the Shrewsbury North desk.
The 3 jobs at Park Junction are 2 resident and one relief, do you know what the relief would entail please? is it a case of being flexible and covering sickness, holidays etc? and how many people are resident at the box? cheers

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Relief is just like you say, they only cover Park hence the 4%.

I’ve no idea how many residents there are, not many I’d assume - maybe 4 or 5 if that ?

gareth386

Relief is just like you say, they only cover Park hence the 4%.

I’ve no idea how many residents there are, not many I’d assume - maybe 4 or 5 if that ?
Cheers, probably not worth the 4%, think I would rather have a rota in place and know what I'm working.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
To be fair it’s a nice little SB, only 15 minutes from home for me to !

Shame really I couldn’t find take pay drop from grade 7, I was extremely lucky to start in the grade where I did but it does limit your ability to move about, especially with a family to look after.

Saracen_83

Anybody heard anymore from TBROC regarding their grade 8 signaller?? I’m still at “application under consideration” stage after passing the tests........

KMCM

Anybody heard anymore from TBROC regarding their grade 8 signaller?? I’m still at “application under consideration” stage after passing the tests........
Same here, Application Under Consideration too, I imagine all the interviews are done so waiting for this to change to Unsuccessful. Anyone heard anything regarding Lancing SB?

Lewis423

Hello everyone! I’m new to the forum and New to the railway where my career is concerned. I had my medical last Monday and am now awaiting my start date for signalling school, can anybody shed light on how long it took them to get their date? Got a few plans currently on hold until I have my start date for york signalling school

Saracen_83

Same here, Application Under Consideration too, I imagine all the interviews are done so waiting for this to change to Unsuccessful. Anyone heard anything regarding Lancing SB?

I’m presuming the same tbh, but hoping that I’m also wrong and it changes to the next stage!!!! Sadly though, I don’t think it will!!

Anyone know the likelyhood of waiting this long to be invited to interview??

Sinistah

Not Ute ht I going on it’s lnxonf b to be honest. Mine is at invite to assessment 2 pending

Lewis423

Got a date for signalling school now, I go up on the 19th of Feb. Next available date after that was April, so fell in lucky with a cancellation by the look of it.
I'm after a bit of info regarding boxes near to me if possible please, I live in Ebbw Vale and was told I would end up in a box up to 40 minutes or so away from me, obviously closer would be better but I've got to start somewhere.
What boxes are in that sort of distance of me please?
What grades are the boxes?
What rotas do they work please? 8 or 12 hrs?
Any other info you could provide me with would be great.

I know that's a lot to ask but I'm just trying to see my options.
Cheers all
Hi, how long did it take for you to get your signalling school dates after your medical, I had mine last Monday and haven’t heard anything since... im a little impatient if you can’t tell

GMTUK

Same here, Application Under Consideration too, I imagine all the interviews are done so waiting for this to change to Unsuccessful.

I had my interview for this, about a month ago. Just awaiting the results as not heard anything as of yet.

Sinistah

That confirms it then that all the others sitting at app under consideration will get the unsuccessful at some point then

gareth386

Hi, how long did it take for you to get your signalling school dates after your medical, I had mine last Monday and haven’t heard anything since... im a little impatient if you can’t tell
Good afternoon, took a couple of weeks after my medical to get the all clear then I got a date for York. I got lucky though and jumped on a cancellation. next dates for York are April I think.
I know where you're coming from with regards to being impatient, it's a pain but they certainly don't rush.

Lewis423

Good afternoon, took a couple of weeks after my medical to get the all clear then I got a date for York. I got lucky though and jumped on a cancellation. next dates for York are April I think.
Great thank you! Any tips/advice for when I am in signalling school?

Highlandspring

Established Member
Is it perhaps worth starting a thread for hopeful candidates to ask whether or not anybody has heard back about X vacancy, general recruitment waiting time woes or chat about when/where/if they're going to signalling school and leave this (now 59 page) thread for actual questions and comments about the job?

Lewis423

Fore right

Hi, found this forum the day after I’d had the news I’d been successful last week.
I have read through a lot of the thread and it answers a lot of the questions that I’ve wondered about and worried over in the last 2 years of applying for network rail. I maybe should have searched before
Easy to tell from reading that it’s a really friendly and useful thread with lots of decent people who seem to love their jobs and want to help others.
All I can offer is to those who haven’t been successful is dust yourselves down and keep trying. I think I’d applied for 6/7 positions ( not just signals ) before getting through to hiring manager stage and then 3 more before getting an interview.

I think the thing I did differently from not getting anywhere on the first few was really sit down and spend a long time on the application, especially this last time and especially on the health and safety and communication questions, it has been mentioned before that it will time out so need to copy and paste from word. But then if you get past hr to where it says under consideration from hiring manager then save the word document for next time as you know these answers worked. There was nothing worse than getting that “you have been unsuccessful email so many times. but don’t give up.

Just waiting for my date for medical ( which should be fine hopefully) and then the wait for the start of a new career and York ( gulp)

Dispatcher999

Hi everyone. I’m really new to Rail and come from an ambulance/fire control background so hope I have the right transferable skills. I’ve applied for the Grade 8 Signaller position in West Hampstead. This seems like a senior role (higher pay at least) after a quick scroll through the forums. Are these positions open to the man on the street so to speak or aimed at internal candidates? I applied yesterday and have been invited to complete an online assessment. Any advice for taking my application further should I pass would be greatly appreciated :)

Saracen_83

I’ve tried searching this thread and found a few bits but wanted more concrete answers/ info...

Romford ROC, what is happening g with it??? From what I can see/read, the ROC itself is now operational and certain control jobs (greater Anglia rtc) are there at the moment, but am I right in thinking no signalling g is there or will be there for any foreseeable future?? I know the ROC programme is well behind all over, however does anyone know of when/if signalling will arrive at Romford and if/when jobs will become available????

SignallerJohn

Hi everyone. I’m really new to Rail and come from an ambulance/fire control background so hope I have the right transferable skills. I’ve applied for the Grade 8 Signaller position in West Hampstead. This seems like a senior role (higher pay at least) after a quick scroll through the forums. Are these positions open to the man on the street so to speak or aimed at internal candidates? I applied yesterday and have been invited to complete an online assessment. Any advice for taking my application further should I pass would be greatly appreciated :)
I would recommend spending some time to read through this whole thread, while it make take some time it’s all pretty relevant and will answer your question.

In regards to hiring off the street you’ll find people in this thread have come from no experience on the rails to Grade 9 positions so it’s certainly possible! The recruitment process is a slog for some people, whereas some have had theirs move a lot quicker.

Roadster 7

Hi, found this forum the day after I’d had the news I’d been successful last week.
I have read through a lot of the thread and it answers a lot of the questions that I’ve wondered about and worried over in the last 2 years of applying for network rail. I maybe should have searched before
Easy to tell from reading that it’s a really friendly and useful thread with lots of decent people who seem to love their jobs and want to help others.
All I can offer is to those who haven’t been successful is dust yourselves down and keep trying. I think I’d applied for 6/7 positions ( not just signals ) before getting through to hiring manager stage and then 3 more before getting an interview.

I think the thing I did differently from not getting anywhere on the first few was really sit down and spend a long time on the application, especially this last time and especially on the health and safety and communication questions, it has been mentioned before that it will time out so need to copy and paste from word. But then if you get past hr to where it says under consideration from hiring manager then save the word document for next time as you know these answers worked. There was nothing worse than getting that “you have been unsuccessful email so many times. but don’t give up.

Just waiting for my date for medical ( which should be fine hopefully) and then the wait for the start of a new career and York ( gulp)

Some great advice that I'll take on board and good luck to you!
I applied for two positions in Peterborough I went to "under consideration for assessment 2" so I was hoping id get an interview however, it then changed to unsuccessful. I was gutted and a bit grumpy but I've managed to get over myself and am now daily checking network rail website for a signaller role nearby to come up!

Dispatcher999

I'm guessing no interviews are likely to be held before the new year? Applied for West Hampstead Grade 8.
Hey did you hear anything from the West Hampstead grade 8 job? I applied too but only yesterday. I have an online assessment. I imagine you’ve been interviewed already?

Dispatcher999

As a recent Alum of West Hampstead, I can heartily recommend working there. A tough, but great place to cut your teeth. Great people, fun, active service.
Hi Tom, I would love some info on this role. I have just applied for West Hampstead Grade 8. I come from an ambulance/fire control back ground. Is a signaller like working in a control room. I imagine it’s similar principles multitasking calls, signals, radio maybe?

jdxn

Hi Tom, I would love some info on this role. I have just applied for West Hampstead Grade 8. I come from an ambulance/fire control back ground. Is a signaller like working in a control room. I imagine it’s similar principles multitasking calls, signals, radio maybe?

These Videos are NR produced which will give you an idea. They are little more 'sterile' and 'marketing' than you might find in the day to day!