• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

MG65

Thanks for the reply Mark.Yes i was aware but was trying to work out the shift cycle to see how many weekends per 12 week rosta my partner and I would spend together. I have it worked out to approx 1 weekend per month.(3-4 per 12 week rosta).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gradient

Hi guys,

There is a new vacancy (for a number of roles) on the NR website entitled 'Signaller Grade 1 to Grade 7 - Scotland route', the strange thing is the location says Manchester.

I am just trying to understand if this is likely to be a mistake?

I have been looking for weeks for something in and around Cheshire, so Manchester would be great.

Can anyone clarify?

Kind regards

Gradient

martin2345uk

Established Member
I'd also be intrigued to know this as have also been looking for something in Manchester! (",)

nom de guerre

Not back in for a couple of days but the only Scottish jobs I've seen on the internal list recently are several Grade 7 (secondment and non-secondment) and Grade 9 (SSM - secondment) at Motherwell.

gradient

Hi

Just for clarity, I am an external applicant and the vacancies are on the main NR careers website.

If anyone could shed any light that would be fantastic

Kind regards

Gradient

8d3

I just saw some grade 2 jobs advertised for Cardiff, I've already applied for a grade 4 (most likely grade 4 based on the salary).

Would anyone be able to explain how a grade 2 would differ from a grade 4? I'll probably apply for them as well.

TomBoyd

Hi

Just for clarity, I am an external applicant and the vacancies are on the main NR careers website.

If anyone could shed any light that would be fantastic

Kind regards

Gradient

Call HR for information.

martin2345uk

Established Member
I have to say the NR application form is one of the worst I have ever had to use! It's terrible!

nom de guerre

Yes, I realise this.

The internal careers site includes all the jobs on the external site - plus others - and the information provided (location, manager contact details etc) is often more accurate. I was offering the closest recent match that I'd seen.

Most of us are happy to help when we can but ultimately it may be best to follow Tom's suggestion and contact HR.

Llanigraham

Established Member
I just saw some grade 2 jobs advertised for Cardiff, I've already applied for a grade 4 (most likely grade 4 based on the salary).

Would anyone be able to explain how a grade 2 would differ from a grade 4? I'll probably apply for them as well.

Less money, less trains.
About as simple as that.

The Gr2 at Cardiff is believed to be St Fagans LX.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Not back in for a couple of days but the only Scottish jobs I've seen on the internal list recently are several Grade 7 (secondment and non-secondment) and Grade 9 (SSM - secondment) at Motherwell.

Hmmm yes I think these are actually the ones the NR have listed as "Location: Manchester".

Only noticed that after I'd applied, too.

Well, as they say, I'm an idiot.

gradient

Yes, I realise this.

The internal careers site includes all the jobs on the external site - plus others - and the information provided (location, manager contact details etc) is often more accurate. I was offering the closest recent match that I'd seen.

Most of us are happy to help when we can but ultimately it may be best to follow Tom's suggestion and contact HR.

I genuinely appreciate your help and that of others

Cheers guys

:smile:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I'm thinking that, possibly, someone has gone to select Motherwell from a drop-down menu for the location and selected Manchester? Seems plausible..

Either way i'll try and dig out a number for HR and call them to clarify

mac

Less money, less trains.
About as simple as that.

The Gr2 at Cardiff is believed to be St Fagans LX.

Less money yes Less trains maybe not, I know of a grade 1 box with 8 trains per hour barriers and signals and a grade 2 box with sometimes only 1 train per day

martin2345uk

Established Member
Oh dear, I have received an email from them saying my application has been received and is under consideration. I better phone them and tell them I thought the role was in Manchester, not Motherwell :(

nom de guerre

Had a quick shifty at the internal list today.

Quite a few Scottish jobs:

Stanley Jn (2)
Longforgan (2)
Kingussie (3)
Dunblane (4)
Motherwell (7 - secondment and normal)
West of Scotland SC (7)
Motherwell SSM (9 - secondment)

One Manchester job (a 9).

Sounds like quite a few currently at Motherwell aren't transferring to WoSSC for whatever reason.

gradient

Stanley Jn (2)
Longforgan (2)
Kingussie (3)
Dunblane (4)
West of Scotland SC (7)

Sounds like quite a few currently at Motherwell aren't transferring to WoSSC for whatever reason.

Thank you very much for sharing this information.

Can't tell you how much i'm hoping the Manchester Grade 9 goes external!!!

Fingers crossed!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Thank you very much for sharing this information.

Can't tell you how much i'm hoping the Manchester Grade 9 goes external!!!

Fingers crossed!

Me too :) though think I would have a slightly better chance at a lower grade..! :oops:

gradient

Stanley Jn (2)
Longforgan (2)
Kingussie (3)
Dunblane (4)
West of Scotland SC (7)

Any chance of this Manchester job going external soon?

gradient

theyre on the internal list (which shouldn't really be listed here) for 3 weeks. If no one applies, they'll go external

Thanks Tom

Seems unlikely that not a solitary internal applicant applies but we live in hope

Appreciate that people are going out on a limb to help :smile:

tiptoptaff

Established Member
What do St Fagans actually have control of? Is it just the barriers? I always thought it was under the control of Cardiff PSB (Listed on TMIS as a CCTV xing)

martin2345uk

Established Member
Been asked to do an online assessment which I guess everyone has to do, still quite exciting :1)

martin2345uk

Established Member
Did you get any feedback as to the whole Manchester or Motherwell thing??

No... but I was kind of hoping to see if I managed to pass this assessment thing and if I do, it says they keep your results on file for 12 months...

TomBoyd

No... but I was kind of hoping to see if I managed to pass this assessment thing and if I do, it says they keep your results on file for 12 months...

They do. It means that whenever you apply for jobs, it'll automatically use that assessment for every application.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Well I got a phone call from NR's lovely HR team this morning; apologising that the job was advertised in the wrong location and asking me if I'd like to continue or withdraw. I asked if I could complete the SJT online and then withdraw so I would at least have that on my record should an actual Manchester role come up and they said that's fine.

So dream on hold for now (",)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just completed the SJT; does anyone know how long it takes to find out if you passed? I'm less than optimistic :)

TomBoyd

Just completed the SJT; does anyone know how long it takes to find out if you passed? I'm less than optimistic :)

Don't worry about it. So long as you read through the actual question, to the NTS skill behind each question, and answered appropriately, you should be fine. Even if not, most of the questions are fairly cut and dry.

Depends on the job really now. Took me a few days to find out. Takes some weeks, some hours. Good luck!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Thanks (",) I, not sure why I'm even getting excited being as I have to withdraw anyway being as the role's in Scotland. Just have to hope a local opportunity arises soon!

Darbs

I had my results back in a matter of hours! However it took overall 6 months from applying to getting the job!