• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Drh78

Yeah, just wondering how the numerical tests are relevant for the role? I did the tests, involved percentages and ratios, when is that required for the role?

Sunset route

Established Member
Yeah, just wondering how the numerical tests are relevant for the role? I did the tests, involved percentages and ratios, when is that required for the role?

Not yet so far in 30yrs service, but maybe one day :lol:

signallerscot

If you can tell the time and do very basic mental arithmetic (15+7=22 sort of thing..) then you have all the maths skills you need to be a signaller.

wilba

Longtime lurker here. I've received a job offer and a start date in August for a grade 2 position. I'll be starting Signalling school in York early September.
Just wanted to say thanks for all the useful information contained in this thread, it was a great help.

I started the process back in late January to give you an idea of timescales.

Regards

Wilba

chris2.0

Longtime lurker here. I've received a job offer and a start date in August for a grade 2 position. I'll be starting Signalling school in York early September.
Just wanted to say thanks for all the useful information contained in this thread, it was a great help.

I started the process back in late January to give you an idea of timescales.

Regards

Wilba

Congratulations :)
I will be starting Signalling School at the end of July so might see you there!

Johnny Depot

Sadly didn't get an invite to the next stage on this occasion. I am a bit confused though unless I am misunderstanding the process. My initial application was reviewed and I was successful to complete the online tests. I received an e-mail a few weeks back to say that "they are delighted to let me know I passed the requirements" but then I received an e-mail to say I am not suitable?

Redder

Sadly didn't get an invite to the next stage on this occasion. I am a bit confused though unless I am misunderstanding the process. My initial application was reviewed and I was successful to complete the online tests. I received an e-mail a few weeks back to say that "they are delighted to let me know I passed the requirements" but then I received an e-mail to say I am not suitable?

Unfortunately this is the way, we can pass the tests but you have to be in the top percentage to be selected for interview. I am now on my 5th application to be a Signaller so keep plugging on I say.

Johnny Depot

Unfortunately this is the way, we can pass the tests but you have to be in the top percentage to be selected for interview. I am now on my 5th application to be a Signaller so keep plugging on I say.

Thanks for the response. Best of luck on your future applications.

Lasbrisas

Keep at it guys, I applied for at least 10 signalling positions and had many rejections, then suddenly got invited to 2 interviews. Had my interview and was offered the job the next day. I too thought I had not made the grade with the online tests. I have to say I think most people pass them, it's just a matter of how high your score is. You will probably find that if you apply enough times then sooner or later you will make the grade in that area.

Redder

Anyone else applied for the Signaller vacancies at Three Bridges ASC, if so how far have you got?

Goggy02

Anyone else applied for the Signaller vacancies at Three Bridges ASC, if so how far have you got?
Hi Redder
Yes, I've applied for the role at Three Bridges ASC, my application states 'Test complete'. And you?

Monopoli

Quick question to anyone that can help. What is a signaller timetable like?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Redder

Hi Redder
Yes, I've applied for the role at Three Bridges ASC, my application states 'Test complete'. And you?

Hi, mine moved on from test completed to application under consideration but that's where it has stayed for the last 2 weeks.

Goggy02

Hi, mine moved on from test completed to application under consideration but that's where it has stayed for the last 2 weeks.

Hi Redder. Yes it's a long process, I submitted my application close to the closing date so it hasn't been a couple of weeks for me as yet. Mine still states 'Test complete'. Thought the tests were quite difficult! When under consideration, is there no longer an assessment day to follow the online tests or is it now consideration for interview? Thanks

Redder

Hi Redder. Yes it's a long process, I submitted my application close to the closing date so it hasn't been a couple of weeks for me as yet. Mine still states 'Test complete'. Thought the tests were quite difficult! When under consideration, is there no longer an assessment day to follow the online tests or is it now consideration for interview? Thanks

I'm not sure however from reading previous posts it would have to move to under consideration for assessment 2 if it is going to be progressed.

Monopoli

What do you mean by 'timetable'? Roster? There are huge variations in base rosters around the UK.
Yes I was referring to the roster. I was put off by applying due to the rooster. 7 days on 2 days off I was told. Might be wrong

Sunset route

Established Member
Yes I was referring to the roster. I was put off by applying due to the rooster. 7 days on 2 days off I was told. Might be wrong

Some will be like that and others will be much much diffferent, as rosters are as varied as the areas that negotiate them, not to mention shift lengths between 6 to 12 hours depending on location and level of train service.

nom de guerre

Which box(es) were you put off applying for, Monopoli?

I haven't heard of any signalling rosters that are 7 on, 2 off. As 'Scot says, there are lots of variations, but essentially there are two main types of roster: 8-hour and 12-hour.

A typical 8-hour roster averages out somewhere around 5 on, 2 off - and a 12-hour roster equates to approximately 160 working days a year.

Sunset route

Established Member

I haven't heard of any signalling rosters that are 7 on, 2 off. As 'Scot says, there are lots of variations, but essentially there are two main types of roster: 8-hour and 12-hour.

A typical 8-hour roster averages out somewhere around 5 on, 2 off - and a 12-hour roster equates to approximately 160 working days a year.

Most of the smaller boxes in Sussex will have rosters that include 7 days worked before a rest day and some of the ASCs as well.

MylesHSG

I'm 8 days into 9 days in a row working. 8 early's and 1 night. It's possible to work 11 in a row (if you elect to work Sunday) 6 early's, Sunday early and then 4 spare days.

Monopoli

I'm 8 days into 9 days in a row working. 8 early's and 1 night. It's possible to work 11 in a row (if you elect to work Sunday) 6 early's, Sunday early and then 4 spare days.
That's what I was told or similar thats why I have never applied.

Monopoli

Some will be like that and others will be much much diffferent, as rosters are as varied as the areas that negotiate them, not to mention shift lengths between 6 to 12 hours depending on location and level of train service.
Are any of the London ones 12 hour? I would prefer that coming from a shift working background.

Monopoli

Just in general as I heard the shifts didn't allow you to have a social life. Currently in a job where my social life is non existent.

TomBoyd

Just in general as I heard the shifts didn't allow you to have a social life. Currently in a job where my social life is non existent.

It is difficult sometimes Monopoli.

On a 1 hour roster, you do have a lot of days completely off, which is great, but you also work half the weekends and half the nights. So it can limit you a bit.

Monopoli

It is difficult sometimes Monopoli.

On a 1 hour roster, you do have a lot of days completely off, which is great, but you also work half the weekends and half the nights. So it can limit you a bit.
Right now I work 6 week straight till I get a weekend off. I might apply with network rail and give it a shot.

nom de guerre

Most of the smaller boxes in Sussex will have rosters that include 7 days worked before a rest day and some of the ASCs as well.

I should have been clearer: yes, 8h rosters include some long runs - at my last single-manned box we worked 13 days out of 14 during each cycle. But averaged out, over a four-week period, I found it worked out at roughly 5 on, 2 off.