• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southernsig

Join the transport benevolent fund also, it seems to be little known by employees but for £1 a week the potential benefits are huge!

baz962

Established Member
Signaller 2018 pay matrix after the RPI November 2017 pay award in January 2018:

Figure (right) is your basic take home pay after tax, pension and union subs assuming 75% take home pay.

Signaller Pay Grades 2018:

Grade 1 £24,889 - £1435
Grade 2 £28,494 - £1643
Grade 3 £30,898 - £1782
Grade 4 £32,614 - £1881
Grade 5 £36,048 - £2079
Grade 6 £38,193 - £2203
Grade 7 £41,196 - £2376
Grade 8 £43,771 - £2525
Grade 9 £45,490 - £2624
Grade 10 £47,778 - £2756

I don't know what all the thing's you pay out would be just put the salary into a website called listentotaxman and it tell's you the take home.
In my current job my basic is a bit less than the grade one on this scale but my take home after tax, ni and 1% pension is a bit more than the grade 2 on here,hope this help's. I have a couple of application's in and know I would get one grade less while training but does that include signalling school or not does anyone know.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
You don't get a say as such, the union will put a deal forward for us to vote on accept or reject, the first offer this time was rejected by the union before we got a vote it was so poor.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I don't know what all the thing's you pay out would be just put the salary into a website called listentotaxman and it tell's you the take home.
In my current job my basic is a bit less than the grade one on this scale but my take home after tax, ni and 1% pension is a bit more than the grade 2 on here,hope this help's. I have a couple of application's in and know I would get one grade less while training but does that include signalling school or not does anyone know.

I pay my pension basic, plus a additional sum into BRASS the additional contribution section which is invested for you and then paid out when you retire as a lump sum on top of your standard pension lump sum and monthly pension, it also helps reduce your tax burden.

baz962

Established Member
I pay my pension basic, plus a additional sum into BRASS the additional contribution section which is invested for you and then paid out when you retire as a lump sum on top of your standard pension lump sum and monthly pension, it also helps reduce your tax burden.

I see so do you know what the pay is at signalling school is it just the one grade less Tom.

Greatful

Hi,

Really helpful information on here ;

Out of curiosity, what is the roster like at ASC THREE BRIDGE .

Thank u

I've got to look at all of this. I have almost 13yrs paid into the RPS from the train drivers grade and I'm not sure how I should set it up going forward. so its a 9am call to the railway pension office tomorrow before I can respond to the offer letter.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
RPS will provide a transfer of benefits statement so you can see if it is beneficial to move you old section pension to the NWR Section.

Join the transport benevolent fund also, it seems to be little known by employees but for £1 a week the potential benefits are huge!
the TBF is fantastic, I will be signing up as soon as! I find it interesting that you say "little know by employees" because it was exactly the same at the TOC I worked for - I was a good 5 or 6 years on the job before I'd heard of it!

Southernsig

the TBF is fantastic, I will be signing up as soon as! I find it interesting that you say "little know by employees" because it was exactly the same at the TOC I worked for - I was a good 5 or 6 years on the job before I'd heard of it!
Yeah i cant work out why this is, even when I tell colleagues about it often they are uninterested!

uww11x

Quickfire questions.

Are the interviews carried out at the box you applied for or Manchester?
What are remaining signalling school courses this year, if any?

Thanks

Flush_Fraser

Quickfire questions.

Are the interviews carried out at the box you applied for or Manchester?
What are remaining signalling school courses this year, if any?

Thanks

Hi mate, certainly for me the interview was held just a few miles away from the actual box I'll be working in, in London. I'd be very surprised if they made you schlep to Manchester unless of course you were going to be based around there.

No idea about the courses but I'm curious to find out the same myself. I had my interview on the 10th of Oct, got the nod a few days later, have since had all my background and disclosure checks go through fine and just had my medical last week. In theory I should just be waiting on a a start date now but, bearing in mind I'll have to give a months notice to my current work, assume I won't be off to signalling school until early next year.

Also can anyone shed any light on signalling school locations? I was under the impression it was purely York but just recently I've seen a couple of other locations mentioned on here. One was in the midlands I think, and I forget the other, but it definitely wasn't York...

TRain87

Basingstoke
York
Coventry

Courses get booked up by LOMS quite quickly, I know there is a course starting in November and one starting 4th December - unsure of locations but I'm assuming this would be booked...and if you haven't had interview yet, you'll definitely be on courses next year!

Interviews are held at LOMS location - so wherever their office is based.

uww11x

Basingstoke
York
Coventry

Courses get booked up by LOMS quite quickly, I know there is a course starting in November and one starting 4th December - unsure of locations but I'm assuming this would be booked...and if you haven't had interview yet, you'll definitely be on courses next year!

Interviews are held at LOMS location - so wherever their office is based.

Cheers, don't suppose you know where the Culgaith one would be positioned?

ten7

NR recruitment are a funny old thing, I wouldn't read too much into wait times, I've waited months too find out good and bad news. Conversely I've had both good and bad news a day or two later as well.

Jopefully it will be good news for you both.

Good luck!
I would have thought after months, most people will just presume they’ve been unsuccessful.

Sinistah

with most other jobs I would assume the same thing. But apparently its not the same with the Railway.They operate quite slowly. Its probably because they have so many vacancies to deal with. Even now there is 145 vacancies on the NR website. Ive been waiting since the 12th October as I had an interview then but hopefully I get an answer soon

ten7

with most other jobs I would assume the same thing. But apparently its not the same with the Railway.They operate quite slowly. Its probably because they have so many vacancies to deal with. Even now there is 145 vacancies on the NR website. Ive been waiting since the 12th October as I had an interview then but hopefully I get an answer soon
The hiring manager still scores the interviews and selects the candidates though.

Sinistah

The hiring manager still scores the interviews and selects the candidates though.
So is the issue that I have that the Hiring manager hasn't scored it and given the scores to HR yet?

From what ive been told it wasn't a really sort after role as it was a grade 3.(but I could be wrong)

ten7

I think it’s up to the manager to log into oracle irec and terminate unsuccessful candidates so that it sends a rejection email. If they don’t do that, then it might just stay on assessment scheduled. I’m presuming once they score candidates and selected a candidate, they’ll send off the paperwork to HR to appoint that candidate. But there are people on here who have been given good news weeks after their interview so the only reason I can think of there is the manager just left it late to let the successful candidate know and send it off to HR. Or they selected someone else who withdrew so gave it to their second choice. There should only be a handful of candidates at interview stage although the interviews might take place over several weeks.

Sinistah

Has anyone had an experience of waiting almost a month after interview and then getting a no?

Southernsig

I would have thought after months, most people will just presume they’ve been unsuccessful.
Waited over two months for a yes before! The hiring manager told me he informed HR a day later. They told me over two months later!

The only time I've had news quick is when the hiring manager informs me himself!

ten7

Waited over two months for a yes before! The hiring manager told me he informed HR a day later. They told me over two months later!

The only time I've had news quick is when the hiring manager informs me himself!
What about for nos? How long does that take?