• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Seishin

Just looking at current vacancies and 5 out of 6 are temporary contracts of 8 or 12 months which I assume are due to planned closures. Trying to decide if its worth applying for these positions as I have a solid job plus I'd have to relocate if I was lucky enough to be successful. I'd have no hesitation if I was relatively sure I could gain a permanent position eventually but is this likely to be the case if you perform well?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sinistah

There is no way that network rail will put an external applicant through 120k worth of training if they weren’t gonna keep you on. Apply for anything mate. Worst case scenario there are loads of internal opportunities if for any reason It was an actual short term contract. Just apply because if you get the opportunity for an interview you can always ask the lom prior to attending the interview. You will probably find that it is more permanent than you think. The school alone is12 weeks not to mention the on the job training afterwards to pass out

Sinistah

I applied for what was advertised as a 6 months secondment. When I got there I was told it was actually a fixed term contract

choochoobacca

Regarding the Network Rail application questions, I'm just re-visiting the answers I've been using to try and improve them to hopefully get through to more interviews. Obviously I've saved them all to a word document so I can simply paste them in to each application I make, but I'm wondering how much detail to go into - will the hiring manager actually have time to read through all the answers?
For each question, I've given a specific example of a time I've performed a task related to the question and tried to keep it brief, but there is quite a lot of reading for somebody to go through. Is this the way to go, or have other people who've been successful put down more generic brief 2 or 3 line answer stuff?

GingerRH

Regarding the Network Rail application questions, I'm just re-visiting the answers I've been using to try and improve them to hopefully get through to more interviews. Obviously I've saved them all to a word document so I can simply paste them in to each application I make, but I'm wondering how much detail to go into - will the hiring manager actually have time to read through all the answers?
For each question, I've given a specific example of a time I've performed a task related to the question and tried to keep it brief, but there is quite a lot of reading for somebody to go through. Is this the way to go, or have other people who've been successful put down more generic brief 2 or 3 line answer stuff?

The questions mean nothing unless you were to score equal with someone at the interview stage, they are simply based on a points scoring system for the initial sift. Yes gets you a point, no doesn’t.
The text part technically will then be read by the LOM and will come into play in regards to scoring the candidates. However, some managers may read these before hand but I highly doubt it.

Cavan

I think LOMs are not going to be able to read the forms in great detail. I have been surprised how many people are called to interview for each job..........

choochoobacca

The questions mean nothing unless you were to score equal with someone at the interview stage, they are simply based on a points scoring system for the initial sift. Yes gets you a point, no doesn’t.
The text part technically will then be read by the LOM and will come into play in regards to scoring the candidates. However, some managers may read these before hand but I highly doubt it.

That's interesting to know - Many thanks GingerRH.

I think LOMs are not going to be able to read the forms in great detail. I have been surprised how many people are called to interview for each job..........

Thanks Cavan. Does anybody know what sort of numbers are actually getting interviewed for each position?

Highlandspring

Established Member
I was the only applicant for my first relief signaller’s job (after being a resident) but still had to have an interview.

GingerRH

There were 3 people interviewed when I got my position. One of which was Sinistah I believe ;)

Sinistah

Status changed to formal offer sent this morning so should be getting the papers tomorrow hopefully. Can’t wait to start. Really looking forward to getting into the classroom again

Sinistah

I think all the lom’s In Wessex know me by now. Damn he’s keen someone please give him a job already

GingerRH

Just seen these vacancies on the NR website. Don't suppose anybody has any more info on the exact location(s)? I'm guessing if it's a fixed rate salary there is no night-shift or Sunday working?

https://ebus2.hiav.networkrail.co.u...DISPLAY&p_svid=2115274&p_spid=6767213&refsh=0

I suspect the fixed rate is a HR error as there is another signalling role with the same fixed term.

I believe it will be Cambridge PSB, these will be crossing keeper roles for the new crossing desk.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
All salaries stated are the bare basic, ads on top Sunday working and night premiums that adds between £5-10,000 to the figure stated.

linnet_ranger

Hi all. I applied for the two posts recently advertised at Haslemere (1 relief and 1 fixed). On 29th June I got the Dear John letter and as per, my heart sank.

That said, upon checking to see if there are any updates to my other applications (Lancing and Arundel) I noticed that the Haslemere application has gone from unsuccessful to invite to interview pending, and then that has changed to application under consideration too.

Any thoughts? First interviews not been successful/people dropped out? Or am I allowing myself to dream again? Haha

Sinistah

Guys, if I’m going to a grade 7 nxpanel signal centre. Will I still be using bell codes. As I will be attending signal school in the coming months thought would it be wise to start trying to learn them now or are they not relevant?

GingerRH

Guys, if I’m going to a grade 7 nxpanel signal centre. Will I still be using bell codes. As I will be attending signal school in the coming months thought would it be wise to start trying to learn them now or are they not relevant?

You will be on a track circuit block ‘Nx’ course, and won’t need bell codes. However, it is a possibility that your LOM may only be able to get you a space on an Absolute Block course, in which case you will need to learn the bell codes.

So I’d say no, don’t learn them. Also, reading ahead before you’ve covered something in the classroom isn’t a good idea, you will most likely get the wrong idea of something and just end up confused. The course covers everything you need to know and starts from a level assuming you all know nothing :)

nom de guerre

I did the AB course (even though I was going to a TCB box) and was advised to learn three things in advance: bell codes, train classifications (e.g. What is a Class 1, etc) and the phonetic alphabet.

LAX54

Established Member
You will be on a track circuit block ‘Nx’ course, and won’t need bell codes. However, it is a possibility that your LOM may only be able to get you a space on an Absolute Block course, in which case you will need to learn the bell codes.

So I’d say no, don’t learn them. Also, reading ahead before you’ve covered something in the classroom isn’t a good idea, you will most likely get the wrong idea of something and just end up confused. The course covers everything you need to know and starts from a level assuming you all know nothing :)

Of course you will need to know some codes, as they are still used in times of strife ! But if it's anything like our place, we do have the main ones at hand if we need them ! And yes agree that don't try to figure things out before you go to school, your version and the right version may well differ :)