• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Thistley

What will a Grade 8 signaller position in Doncaster be like? Which areas does it control, and what shifts will it be?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikesig

What will a Grade 8 signaller position in Doncaster be like? Which areas does it control, and what shifts will it be?

5 NX panels covering from Stoke Tunnel at the south end to Temple Hirst Junction at the north. Works to Peterborough to the south , York South, Ferrybridge and Leeds Ardsley to the north , York ROC Rotherham to the west and Goole Town and Scunthorpe to the east along with a few other boxes. Shifts are 8 hours (0600-1400, 1400-2200, 2200-0600) Monday to Friday and 12 hours (0600-1800) Saturday and Sunday.

MattyD

Evening all, long time stalker, first time poster. Would really appreciate any help or advice! I’ve recently applied for the Medway talent pool. Done the 70 questions, completed the tests and reached the required benchmarks. I know it can take a while to hear back about the next stage but do the talent pools work differently? Are they any faster or slower than other applications? And do many people apply for them? I’ve read this entire thread and there seems to have been hardly any mention of it so far.

gareth386

Evening all, long time stalker, first time poster. Would really appreciate any help or advice! I’ve recently applied for the Medway talent pool. Done the 70 questions, completed the tests and reached the required benchmarks. I know it can take a while to hear back about the next stage but do the talent pools work differently? Are they any faster or slower than other applications? And do many people apply for them? I’ve read this entire thread and there seems to have been hardly any mention of it so far.
Unfortunately no quicker than the normal applications.
People seem to be quite wary of applying for them as it states that it's a fixed term contract and not permanent, but that is so that Network Rail can get rid of the people who unfortunately don't make the grade and fail signal School.
With regards to applicants I'm not sure sorry. When I applied for the pool I went for the job when it was on it's 3rd round of recruitment, so they didn't get the required number of people through the interview stage and up to school with the 1st 2 rounds. So it looks like they will advertise until they get enough people in to fill the pool.
The pool is put in place to start the process of becoming a signaller, as we know it takes ages to go through all the stages of application and then training. So if you wait for a job to become vacant, it can take 12 - 18 months to complete the whole process and get people signed off in their box. Doing it this way gets the ball rolling so that the job can be filled more quickly.
They create a pool when they know there's jobs coming up, that could be from normal retirements or as it seems to be at the moment, it's early retirement due to box closure and also people moving to ROC's. You'll start your training without knowing where you will end up and then apply for any jobs that come up in your area. I think I was around week 6 in signal School when I had to come back home for an interview, so left on a Thursday instead of a Friday so that I missed minimal teaching time in school. And then I had a phonecall a week later to say I had the job.
Yes the unknown with regards to where you'll end up is weird but you'll definitely get a job at the end of it, just maybe not exactly where you want to be. But you'll have both feet in the door and that's what counts.
Im sure others on here may be able to elaborate on some things and fill in what I've missed.
If you have any more question give me a shout.
Hope that helps

MattyD

Unfortunately no quicker than the normal applications.
People seem to be quite wary of applying for them as it states that it's a fixed term contract and not permanent, but that is so that Network Rail can get rid of the people who unfortunately don't make the grade and fail signal School.
With regards to applicants I'm not sure sorry. When I applied for the pool I went for the job when it was on it's 3rd round of recruitment, so they didn't get the required number of people through the interview stage and up to school with the 1st 2 rounds. So it looks like they will advertise until they get enough people in to fill the pool.
The pool is put in place to start the process of becoming a signaller, as we know it takes ages to go through all the stages of application and then training. So if you wait for a job to become vacant, it can take 12 - 18 months to complete the whole process and get people signed off in their box. Doing it this way gets the ball rolling so that the job can be filled more quickly.
They create a pool when they know there's jobs coming up, that could be from normal retirements or as it seems to be at the moment, it's early retirement due to box closure and also people moving to ROC's. You'll start your training without knowing where you will end up and then apply for any jobs that come up in your area. I think I was around week 6 in signal School when I had to come back home for an interview, so left on a Thursday instead of a Friday so that I missed minimal teaching time in school. And then I had a phonecall a week later to say I had the job.
Yes the unknown with regards to where you'll end up is weird but you'll definitely get a job at the end of it, just maybe not exactly where you want to be. But you'll have both feet in the door and that's what counts.
Im sure others on here may be able to elaborate on some things and fill in what I've missed.
If you have any more question give me a shout.
Hope that helps

Thanks for the quick reply. A foot in the door is all I want. It sounds like a fantastic career and if it means a couple of years of upheaval then it’ll be worth it in the long run.

Thistley

5 NX panels covering from Stoke Tunnel at the south end to Temple Hirst Junction at the north. Works to Peterborough to the south , York South, Ferrybridge and Leeds Ardsley to the north , York ROC Rotherham to the west and Goole Town and Scunthorpe to the east along with a few other boxes. Shifts are 8 hours (0600-1400, 1400-2200, 2200-0600) Monday to Friday and 12 hours (0600-1800) Saturday and Sunday.
Cheers for the reply!

Nathan Weller

Hi,

I’ve passed the application and online assessments for Signaller and now waiting for a vacancy to come up. Is there a information pack they email you to prepare you for assessments they invite you to do? If so would someone be able to send them to me please? PM if you can help. Many Thanks in advance :)

Saracen_83

Hi,

I’ve passed the application and online assessments for Signaller and now waiting for a vacancy to come up. Is there a information pack they email you to prepare you for assessments they invite you to do? If so would someone be able to send them to me please? PM if you can help. Many Thanks in advance :)

What “assessments” are you referring to??

In the application process you filled in 70 questions and completed 3 tests. These are the only “tests” you do. If successful and in the highest scoring applicants that applied for the role (usually top 5), then your invited for “assessment 2”, this is an interview with the LOM plus one other person (Another LOM SSM etc).

Wme

How long does it usually take to go from asking about a start date to hearing back what it is? I don't want to be too pushy, or wait to long to get in touch again. Everything is done, now I just need to get my ducks in a row; particularly since my current job is asking about the summer.

HelixUK

How long does it usually take to go from asking about a start date to hearing back what it is? I don't want to be too pushy, or wait to long to get in touch again. Everything is done, now I just need to get my ducks in a row; particularly since my current job is asking about the summer.

I had my medical recently and was waiting for the drug test results, 7 days later I phoned up HR and pushed them to chase my medical results. 3 days later I had my start date. But I do believe my LOM wants to get me started ASAP.

If you're external like me then I think it all depends what courses are available at sig school I suppose... and how quickly the LOM needs you to start.

Cheers

nom de guerre

Had a scroll through couldn't see anything any idea what page roughly

I think Cavan meant 'search this thread, using the search function'...

pgbPjoM.jpg

e2Cv8lZ.jpg

Nathan Weller

What “assessments” are you referring to??

In the application process you filled in 70 questions and completed 3 tests. These are the only “tests” you do. If successful and in the highest scoring applicants that applied for the role (usually top 5), then your invited for “assessment 2”, this is an interview with the LOM plus one other person (Another LOM SSM etc).

Thanks for this information, I thought maybe after the online tests that there were more to follow before interview, but if not then that’s good news :)

TheScolly

Just an update for those who are interested,

I’m on Week 10 of the Signalling Course in Basingstoke and it’s been a great experience, met some good people and my teacher is the best! Bloody hard work though, be sure you put the effort in as it’s intense as everyone says! I started with absolutely no idea about signalling and in some parts it’s clearly shown but as I said the teacher is doing a fantastic job, it’s quite unbelievable how much knowledge I’ve gained in 10 weeks.

2 weeks to go and hopefully I pass out!

Good luck to anyone beginning or looking to begin their career with this great job!

Davieo

How do you apply for the talent pool??
It was advertised as a job vacancy on the careers site. I've had a look this morning though and it looks like advert has been taken down now - it had been up for the last couple of months.

Judochop

Hi guys.

Lancing SB is on the internal job vacancy. But so is a crossing keeper grade 2. I've searched this forum and there is a little bit about lancing but it's a few years old and I'm not sure if anything has changed.

Am I right In thinking 2 signallers both on a separate grade 5 panel? Do they swap half way through the day? I'm assuming they have no crossings as there is a crossing keeper? 1 grade 2 crossing keeper? So there is 3 on a shift at all times? 8hr mon-sat 12hr sundays?

Looks around 10-15 trains an hr

Sorry for all the questions. I've already applied just was wondering if anyone knew anything more.
Any information would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Lemonice21

Any one know what shifts the Edale signal box are? I am assuming most signal boxes are 8 hour shifts but just checking.
Thanks

BRblue

Hi guys.

Lancing SB is on the internal job vacancy. But so is a crossing keeper grade 2. I've searched this forum and there is a little bit about lancing but it's a few years old and I'm not sure if anything has changed.

Am I right In thinking 2 signallers both on a separate grade 5 panel? Do they swap half way through the day? I'm assuming they have no crossings as there is a crossing keeper? 1 grade 2 crossing keeper? So there is 3 on a shift at all times? 8hr mon-sat 12hr sundays?

Looks around 10-15 trains an hr

Sorry for all the questions. I've already applied just was wondering if anyone knew anything more.
Any information would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
3 panels...
Grade 2 crossing keeper covering 4 crossings.
Grade 3 or 4 signaller 4 crossings.
Grade 5 signaller 2 crossings and oversees crossing keeper.
Shifts are 8's and 12hr Sundays... but I believe this may be changing soon.

Jaysub

It was advertised as a job vacancy on the careers site. I've had a look this morning though and it looks like advert has been taken down now - it had been up for the last couple of months.
What is it listed under?
Signaller??

ChrisG85

Hi all, new member here.
I've just applied for a signaller job but there are a few within the distance I'd be happy to travel. Would it be worth applying for them all? And if so, would I be correct to assume that the psychometric tests would just be kept on record as opposed to doing the tests numerous times?
Thanks in advance, Chris

Static65

Yes to both.

Your results will be stored and used for every application and I would highly recommend applying for all of the roles that you are happy to travel for.

There is no penalty for multiple applications. Many people receive rejections before landing a job with the same application each time.

Also consider saving your answers to the 70 questions so they can just be copied in from a text document each time.

ChrisG85

Thanks Static. I guess I'd better get busy then.
P.S thanks for the tip, I hadn't considered that.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi all, new member here.
I've just applied for a signaller job but there are a few within the distance I'd be happy to travel. Would it be worth applying for them all? And if so, would I be correct to assume that the psychometric tests would just be kept on record as opposed to doing the tests numerous times?
Thanks in advance, Chris

To be honest with you the chances of landing a job with only one app at a time or only jobs in your immediate area are extremely low indeed.

Your best chance of landing a job is to literally apply for every job that feasible to get to and from.

Scores will be stored centrally for six months and used against the other people who apply for the job.

Be aware though working a 8 or 12hrs turn with a 2hr drive either side isn’t fun (been there) I’ve also heard that the firm is introducing a 14hr door to shift to door rule.

Norm88

Evening guys

How do relief jobs work in terms of salary? Trying to figure out if an advertised role will pay more or less than my current role.

+24%, does this mean on your basic salary only or is it also +24% on RDW and Sundays? Are you rostered any Sundays at all? (Somebody told me you weren't offered them as a relief but I didn't know if this was offered ontop of what's already rostered). The Sundays obviously are a huge boost to my current role

Any help would be much appreciated!