• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Highlandspring

Established Member
The other think to note is that the questions are the same for all applicants, internal and external, so many (most?) may not be relevant to you and you might find yourself baffled and selecting ‘No’ for a lot of them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidlandsChap

Thanks both much appreciated.

One final question, what does LOM stand for and how would you go about contacting one for a look around a box should a vacancy appear?

Saracen_83

Local Operations manager

And when/if invited to interview, the LOMs contact details will be on there. Contact them and ask... not sure you need to but wouldn’t hurt.. some places welcome it, others don’t....

nom de guerre

Just read the latest internal ROC update.

Can anyone shed any light on why York ROC is being partitioned, at least administratively, into various Sub-ROCs (eg former York IECC area has become the Transpennine Sub-ROC, recent/forthcoming ex KX PSB areas are the Kings Cross Sub-ROC etc)?

I'd presumed Sub-ROC status would be reserved for non-ROC locations granted a medium/long-term future (not sure if this has officially happened anywhere yet).

OverTheRails

My applications just changed from Test complete to Application under consideration for assessment 2 so hopefully that means an interview? Fingers and toes crossed

Danc87

My applications just changed from Test complete to Application under consideration for assessment 2 so hopefully that means an interview? Fingers and toes crossed
yep mine to i now have to under consideration for assessment 2 so hoping from what i have read on here for interviews

Validation

Just read the latest internal ROC update.

Can anyone shed any light on why York ROC is being partitioned, at least administratively, into various Sub-ROCs (eg former York IECC area has become the Transpennine Sub-ROC, recent/forthcoming ex KX PSB areas are the Kings Cross Sub-ROC etc)?

I'd presumed Sub-ROC status would be reserved for non-ROC locations granted a medium/long-term future (not sure if this has officially happened anywhere yet).

It’s just that, an administrative thing and sub-roc is their word of choice rather than pod. Ever since the commissioning of York ROC there has been colour coded carpet strips on the ops floor denoting the different ‘sub-ROCs’ going in geographical order from Kings Cross at the front, to Tyneside at the back when it eventually moves down. SSMs can only oversee so many panels, LOMs can only deal with a certain amount of signallers and I suppose this was the concept behind this. Just five power boxes under one roof essentially!

It is the same in Three Bridges ROC where you have London Bridge/Thameslink pod, then you’ll have Victoria pod, followed by whatever else trickles in over time heading towards the south coast.

Getting everyone to work under the same house rules is however another story, with staff coming from various power boxes and areas with varying local agreements

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I believe that a few earn that sum, but not sure if there is 230 that do!

I know a few at my place who smash the RDW but are former Reliefman so sign all the desks, personally I’m a few poind off the lower figure and I didn’t do that much RDW very easy to do at least £80,000 I reckon at Grade 7+

galaxynew

Does not mean you are having an interview, means your application has been given to the hiring manager (LOM if a signallers job) and they will decide who to interview out of those forwarded

Hope you do get an interview though, fingers crossed for you

MidlandsChap

Have had a look through the 70 questions. How much did people tend to write? Not sure if they are looking for full detailed explainations in full paragraphs or just a few lines summary potentially to be elaborated on at interview further along in the process.

Feel I need to write more as I cannot answer the rail specific questions.

Last edited:

OverTheRails

Does not mean you are having an interview, means your application has been given to the hiring manager (LOM if a signallers job) and they will decide who to interview out of those forwarded

Hope you do get an interview though, fingers crossed for you
Ah that’s fair enough, it seemed a lot of comments on here were if it changed to that it meant interview and if it changed to anything else it was unsuccessful but I suppose it’s best to just wait and see what happens! Thanks for the reply, hopefully good news is coming :)

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Good luck buddy! I went for grade 7 and 9 so I wonder if it would be 1 interview or 2 if I made the cut for interview

The TVSC jobs are for a handful of live/open jobs, and a much bigger talent pool to fill people who are coming up to retirement in the next 12-18 months.

Chances are the grade 9s will be filled from those who have applied internally, then the 7s from external and pool.

The grade 9s tend to stay there long term, there’s a huge turnover of grade 7s at TVSC.

OverTheRails

The TVSC jobs are for a handful of live/open jobs, and a much bigger talent pool to fill people who are coming up to retirement in the next 12-18 months.

Chances are the grade 9s will be filled from those who have applied internally, then the 7s from external and pool.

The grade 9s tend to stay there long term, there’s a huge turnover of grade 7s at TVSC.
Ahh ok that’s good to know!! Thank you!
Was secretly praying for the grade 9 haha

Peterperfect

Question for those who made the move from absolute block to an IECC.

Was it an easy transition or did you feel like you jumped off a cliff with many times the movements and alot more signals and trains to deal with?

How long is the cross over training?

Thanks again in advance.

OverTheRails

It’s only £5k extra for a shed load more work, Grade 7 is a nice number at TVSC much more interesting signalling work rather than ARS monitoring.
I suppose when you put it like that!

I know it has been posted on here before as I saw it a couple of weeks ago but I can’t seem to search for it now... what’s the total salary for a grade 7 and grade 9 once you include typical overtime and Sunday’s?

Thistley

Out of interest, what grades are panels 5 and 6 at TBROC? They are on SimSig and I didn't feel like they are terribly difficult panels.

Would mentioning SimSig be advantageous, or should I act like I have no signalling experience?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Out of interest, what grades are panels 5 and 6 at TBROC? They are on SimSig and I didn't feel like they are terribly difficult panels.

Would mentioning SimSig be advantageous, or should I act like I have no signalling experience?

Never, never, never, never ever mention SimSig at interview !