• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Habitat

Obviously it is a little disheartening, but I am treating it as a learning curve.

I am not giving up on this chosen change in direction.

I applied for Ancaster box and wasn't successful, to later find out that a signaller from another box would be taking the vacancy, so keep your chin up!

Roger_S

Hello all.

Currently working my way through this thread and am finding the information extremely useful. Only on page 108 so apologies if any of the questions I ask have already been answered!

I applied for a role in Edinburgh around six weeks ago and am now still sitting at test completed. Waiting is the name of the game!

Does anyone have any information about the roles their? Anyone else applied and know anything different?

Also, random, whats the dress code at signalling school and in the box?

Thanks again all.

TRain87

Remember at Signalling school, you're likely to see managers etc, so dress how you want to be represented

oneknee

Hi chaps,

Been lurking for a few weeks while making my way through the entire thread.

Does anybody know if the Upper Poppleton box work is a 12 or 8 hour shift?

The box is 45-60 minutes drive away from me traffic depending. My current commute is 45 minutes with a stressful 9-5 job which i find manageable. How do others find a long commute with shift work?

Thanks in advance

nikibee

I was told to dress smart casual at signalling school, but everyone dresses more casual really. As long as you don’t look scruffy really.

The guys in my group tend to wear shirts with jeans.

Saracen_83

T shirt and jeans is fine, one guy on my course wore combats and a t shirt every day..... no shorts though and no hats....

Qball

Just wanna say a big thank you to everyone on here for your advice. I was finally offered a job but wont be starting for a while because no spaces at signalling school.

ROCsteadycrew

No, haven't changed anything.

Edit - just had a look at settings. I have a keyword - e.g. signaller. 'Either' in employment category, tick both the boxes to receive notifications and the receive emails of matching jobs, put in a frequency (Daily) and none for accessibility.

I remember having an issue a few months back with Firefox so switched to Edge for the Network Rail site. This has worked well although I have to clear cookies etc. every couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Jaysub

No, haven't changed anything.

Edit - just had a look at settings. I have a keyword - e.g. signaller. 'Either' in employment category, tick both the boxes to receive notifications and the receive emails of matching jobs, put in a frequency (Daily) and none for accessibility.

I remember having an issue a few months back with Firefox so switched to Edge for the Network Rail site. This has worked well although I have to clear cookies etc. every couple of weeks.

Ok thanx buddy,my settings are the same as yours,it happened since site update...oh well il have another look

OverTheRails

Congrats to those who’ve recently been offered the job! It’s a shame that they can’t offer start dates until at least March 2020!

Qball

Congrats to those who’ve recently been offered the job! It’s a shame that they can’t offer start dates until at least March 2020!

Yh I know wish I could start this year but atleast got something to look forward to.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I wonder how it works if you say start in August 2019 but don’t go to school until March 2020 with regards to the 12 month signaller apprenticeship, and your raise in pay from training to qualified ?

Rockhopper

I’d imagined that your first paid day would be your first day at signalling school. Finish and pass school then go to your box, eventually get signed off as competent then your pay will go up.

OverTheRails

I’d imagined that your first paid day would be your first day at signalling school. Finish and pass school then go to your box, eventually get signed off as competent then your pay will go up.
Yeah I can’t imagine the start date would be before signalling school. I’m also guessing they get a % of last minute spaces etc

headshot119

Established Member

You are paid from the day you start with the company, which is usually at least one week before you are due to start at signalling school.

Highlandspring

Established Member
And the strange and rather variable sizing. I have some Mediums I could wear with no trousers without blushing and others with sleeves so tight they make my arms look like Popeye’s. Top tip for new starters - go for t shirts not polo shirts if given the choice.