• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Chris R

Did anyone apply for Fiddlers Ferry a few weeks back? I met the benchmark for the online test but haven’t heard anything since.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rockhopper

So did you take the three online tests? It’s not unusual for there to be a very long wait after that.

Rockhopper

Constantly! Right click on the link you want and select open in new incognito window (if you are using Chrome) - that always works for me.

P200E

Constantly! Right click on the link you want and select open in new incognito window (if you are using Chrome) - that always works for me.
I'll give that a go, I'm running Linux Mint at the mo, maybe its that as well

galaxynew

Did anyone apply for Fiddlers Ferry a few weeks back? I met the benchmark for the online test but haven’t heard anything since.
I know someone that also applied for this and passed the tests but also not heard anything since, it can take weeks though but also worth noting that since the job was advertised it has been announced that Fiddlers Ferry power station is to close next year and this signal box only really exists for this power station. I am not in the know but this could well have an effect on whether the position is filled or not.

Rockhopper

Its really difficult to second guess NR about things like this. Just last week they interviewed people for a signaller job at Creswell SB on the Robin Hood line - that box has been closed and switched out for at least five years.

michael74

Just taken my 3 tests for the Crediton vacancy.... A stressful start as the SHL site did not like my laptop settings and having to check my flash and Active X settings on Chrome & IE (despite taking NR SHL tests before)

It was all going swimmingly until the maths.... Christ on a bike.... I can safely say thats me out :rolleyes:

Just taken my 3 tests for the Crediton vacancy.... A stressful start as the SHL site did not like my laptop settings and having to check my flash and Active X settings on Chrome & IE (despite taking NR SHL tests before)

It was all going swimmingly until the maths.... Christ on a bike.... I can safely say thats me out :rolleyes:

I did the tests a few weeks ago and struggled with the maths test and was sure I had failed - but I didn't so keep the faith!

Rockhopper

I’ve not heard of anyone who had been told they have failed - even someone who only answered half of the questions in test three passed!
But, from my experience the most important bits are the seventy questions and your CV. Those two carry the most weight followed by the three tests.
Your answers to the seventy questions are the only chance you’ll get to express anything about your personality.
Something else I think they take quite a lot of notice of is how far away from the job you live. If your box is on twelve hour shifts they won’t be keen on someone who has to drive over an hour each way to get there.

Judochop

I’ve not heard of anyone who had been told they have failed - even someone who only answered half of the questions in test three passed!
But, from my experience the most important bits are the seventy questions and your CV. Those two carry the most weight followed by the three tests.
Your answers to the seventy questions are the only chance you’ll get to express anything about your personality.
Something else I think they take quite a lot of notice of is how far away from the job you live. If your box is on twelve hour shifts they won’t be keen on someone who has to drive over an hour each way to get there.

A lot of people have failed the three tests. I for one did and had to wait six months to retake.
The 70 questions and your CV doesn't mean anything if you fail the test. If you fail any of the three tests your application will never go any further.
Your CV and 70 questions only come into play when you get to the "application under consideration for assessment 2" you may not even get to that stage if your scores on the three tests are not good enough.
They dont take notice of where you live, me personally I applied for any signalling job in the country as I wanted in. My box is 160 miles from my house. I have a room up here and go home on my rest days.

hp348

if you're successful, will it always result in the manager calling you or sometimes can it just be an updated status and then the email from HR ?

Judochop

In my personal experience I've had the hiring manager call me to verbally offer me the role. Then HR would send the relevant email and update the status online.

I was the reserve candidate for one role and 10 weeks later HR rang me to offer me the role. I turned it down as I had already accepted another role.

michael74

A lot of people have failed the three tests. I for one did and had to wait six months to retake.
The 70 questions and your CV doesn't mean anything if you fail the test. If you fail any of the three tests your application will never go any further.
Your CV and 70 questions only come into play when you get to the "application under consideration for assessment 2" you may not even get to that stage if your scores on the three tests are not good enough.
They dont take notice of where you live, me personally I applied for any signalling job in the country as I wanted in. My box is 160 miles from my house. I have a room up here and go home on my rest days.

This is the first time i have gone for a signaller role with NR, but fell at various stages with GWR, so the 6 month wait is not new to me :rolleyes:

As for the maths, I got only got half way through and I'm not convinced about the answers to at least 2 of my questions, I will be beyond surprised if that constitutes a pass and even more if its enough to get me at least to an interview as I am confident my CV and answers to my questions are not too shabby lol

Judochop

What I was told by HR in regards to the tests, mind you that was close to 2 years ago! Each test has a max score of 80 and you need at least 31 to pass. You need to pass all 3. You can get 80 on 2 tests but 30 on the other and it will go down as a fail!

Lock up

I also was interviewed for this last week, LOM had said to me that it would all be passed to hr by the end of the week and that we would hear very soon. I'm presuming monday/Tuesday as if the time scales for signalling school that they have sorted is correct notice for current job will need to be put in fairly soon

Hi, I had an interview at the WoSSC in Glasgow. I was interviewed for the Ayrshire positions of Kilmarnock, Ayr and Girvan. Currently waiting to hear back also.
Off the top of my head the signalling school course was talked about with potential start of mid-late September in Perth or York. (Reading through this thread, looks like Perth is the more likely option for the course.)

LOM interviewing said he had AL booked and was hoping to have all interviews completed prior to him going, with decision going out on his return.

Based on that I am anticipating hearing one way or the other late July or early August.

Also, only found this thread after the interview...hopefully I'm a lucky bugger as it would have been a brilliant resource.‍

Last edited:

michael74

What I was told by HR in regards to the tests, mind you that was close to 2 years ago! Each test has a max score of 80 and you need at least 31 to pass. You need to pass all 3. You can get 80 on 2 tests but 30 on the other and it will go down as a fail!

Well I know my answer, got the email today, didn't reach the benchmark :rolleyes: Ahh well....

Southernsig

If your internal they’ll pay you your new grade (if higher than your current salary) at 12 weeks post job offer yes.

External, no - although you’d be unlucky not to be in the job three months after offer.
Its actually 12 weeks post application closing date.

Judochop

Its actually 12 weeks post application closing date.

Really? My jobs closing date was 04th march but I didnt receive an official offer until 08th july. I accepted 10th july as I was on my rest days. Would I be entitled to my new grade salary?

Southernsig

There may well be such a system in place. No, no medical or interview. Two (or more) jobs applied for, just that one is moving through the system rather more quickly than the other one.
I would say go for both and if offered both make your decision. Have to do whats best for you and your career. I know of plenty of people who have been is similar positions and never had any trouble

Highlandspring

Established Member
Really? My jobs closing date was 04th march but I didnt receive an official offer until 08th july. I accepted 10th july as I was on my rest days. Would I be entitled to my new grade salary?
He’s right, it’s 12 weeks after the closing date. You should to your LLC rep.

Southernsig

Yep should be, whenever I have recieved back pay its always been from 3 months post application closing date

Judochop

He’s right, it’s 12 weeks after the closing date. You should to your LLC rep.
Yep should be, whenever I have recieved back pay its always been from 3 months post application closing date

Cheers guys.

I wonder if it matters that i was offered the job verbally 10th June the role was then reassigned to a new vacancy on the 3rd July official offer sent the 8th July.

Also im sorry whats an LLC rep? I've never heard of one.

Mordueman

Well that's the medical passed, just waiting on the urine sample to pass and hopefully I start induction next Monday.
Nice day out in Edinburgh as a bonus.