• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Saracen_83

Aw ok...

Only because some questions are asking have you been a signaller for so many months and years and signaller related questions delays/crossings etc which i always have to answer no too lol

All externals will answer no so don’t worry. Just answer what you can.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leo_724677

Confirmation received this morning that all my pre-employment checks have now been completed. Have been asked my preferred start date/availability so hopefully will have a start date confirmed soon. One step closer :)

ScotWestern

Received my pre offer last Friday, just waiting on pre-employment checks and a date for medical. Very excited to get started

kdone5

I had a interview with the LOM and want to know how long it normally takes to hear back from HR

High Dyke

Established Member
I've currently just finished week 3 of signalling school. In my personal experience, having no previous railway background, i've found it very hard so far. The sheer pace of the course is extremely fast. You learn a subject in class and it's straight onto the next subject. I've had to put hours into revising into every evening as well. We all have pretty much in my class. Been told that weeks 4 to 6 it doesnt slow down and if anything just ramps up even more.
All i can say is be prepared for your life to go on hold for 12 or 13 weeks depending on which signalling system your box uses. Be prepared to work very hard and have no or very little time on the evenings. Prepare any family you may be leaving at home for it as well because that side of it is hard too (being away all week and having to do revising on weekends).
Despite all this i'm determined to keep up the hard work and i'm looking forward to starting when i pass the course
You better...LOL. We are a bit short of staff in Yellabelly land. Mind you it is currently Summer season with annual leave to cover and vacancies. It'll settle down again soon enough, until the next signal(wo)men move on to new jobs/retire etc.

All the best. Keep up the hard work at school and no doubt we'll meet in due course.

Neanderthal

Good afternoon all.

Been a previous observer of this thread for some time and found some very valuable advice and hint and tips. Gratitude to all those sharing knowledge and experience for us newcomers.
Can anyone please advice of the 12 hour shift pattern roster?
Thanks

Good afternoon all.

Been a previous observer of this thread for some time and found some very valuable advice and hint and tips. Gratitude to all those sharing knowledge and experience for us newcomers.
Can anyone please advice of the 12 hour shift pattern roster?
Thanks
Hi, just depends on what your LLC as drawn up . Mines for example is ... am off for 8 this week then I start on Sunday night for 3 then off till Sunday where I’ll do 4 day shifts then off for 7 then start back for 4 nights .
The worst part if you can call it that is when I do 3 days thurs fri sat then back out sun night for 3 . It’s a great roster with mega time off .

Saracen_83

Mine starting sunday is as follows...

DDDDooo
ooooNNN
NoooDDD
oNNNooo

D=day
N=Night
o=Off

This pattern basically repeats itself every 4 weeks. Sundays can be given up if you wish and there someone willing to cover them.

Last edited:

ScotWestern

Hey, congrats! Where will you be based? I'm still waiting to hear for Glasgow.
Up in the Perth area. Best of luck hopefully you hear soon, I applied for the Glasgow and Central Scotland vacancy but then when interviewed I was told I was technically being interviewed for a difference vacancy, just picked out of the same applicant pool.

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
We where told new rate of pay July, back pay August?

Must be September then, it’ll be time for the next raise soon !

MOM67

We where told new rate of pay July, back pay August?

Must be September then, it’ll be time for the next raise soon !

Tom , if you use ePay there's a message about it on there. New rate from sometime (26th?) July and back pay in September (I'd post it but can't get on epay from where I am)

North123

Hi all got my start date through for the 2nd Sept, going to be on a course starting on the 9th. Can I ask what day is the next pay day? Just trying to figure out the gap I will have from my old job going into this. Thanks

Saracen_83

Hi all got my start date through for the 2nd Sept, going to be on a course starting on the 9th. Can I ask what day is the next pay day? Just trying to figure out the gap I will have from my old job going into this. Thanks

Next pay day (apart from tomorrow!!!) is the 20th of sept, however you will need to check with HR if you’ll be paid then (I’m not sure you will be)

If not next pay day after that is 18th October

North123

Next pay day (apart from tomorrow!!!) is the 20th of sept, however you will need to check with HR if you’ll be paid then (I’m not sure you will be)

If not next pay day after that is 18th October

Thanks i will drop them a email

You should get 2 weeks wages on the 20th sep . Can’t see them waiting 6 weeks b4 they pay you o_O

DB85

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking in the background reading posts etc on the Signallers role and gaining helpful hints and pointers which has led me to being invited for an interview.

I'm assuming its best to read up on the 7 Non-technical parts? Is there anything else I need to brush up on?

Cheers

Peterperfect

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking in the background reading posts etc on the Signallers role and gaining helpful hints and pointers which has led me to being invited for an interview.

I'm assuming its best to read up on the 7 Non-technical parts? Is there anything else I need to brush up on?

Cheers

Yes. Better to prepare answers to these and make them adaptable to how the questions will be phrased to you.

Read up on the safety vision as well.

Saracen_83

Hi everyone,

Cheers

There is 8 NTS you need to know, a quick search of this thread brings them up