• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Javagem

Any update if upcoming training courses are being cancelled due to the Coronavirus situation?
Are you on the York Future opportunities scheduled for 27/4? I’m wondering the same. Not heard anything officially but would not be surprised if it’s delayed, rescheduled or moved. Really hope not though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nom de guerre

I am putting my application in this morning, what is meant by new roster principles? Sorry if it sounds a silly question, I'm an external candidate.

NR is beginning to implement a max 60hr/week for signallers, which in many cases requires an increase in numbers.

Wokinguser

If it doesn’t mention anything about not being able to apply for other positions then it sounds like you are good to go!
I spoke to HR and they shared my scores with me which was helpful so I cannot reapply for the same position for 6mths but I only have to redo the test I failed in order to improve my overall score so not a total negative. Just have to wait for 6mths before having another crack.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I am putting my application in this morning, what is meant by new roster principles? Sorry if it sounds a silly question, I'm an external candidate.

There’s never a stupid question mate, it’s to do with the fatigue index I believe - general our rosters now don’t meet the requirements so by 2025 (I think) they all need to comply.

Basically means more jobs to even out the roster into compliance - I think. Someone with more knowledge will be able to correct / explain better.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Ahh I see, thank you! Any reason in particular that makes Westbury a rare opportunity for external applicants?

Nice location, old style Western Region signalling panel (last two of their kind built Exeter and Westbury) - single manned on nights I think as well.

Midlands_lad

Are you on the York Future opportunities scheduled for 27/4? I’m wondering the same. Not heard anything officially but would not be surprised if it’s delayed, rescheduled or moved. Really hope not though.
No I’m not on the York vacancies but had my medical last week and now waiting for a start date. This could obviously be a long wait if the training courses are cancelled!

Midlands_lad

They were really good with dates as I work shifts at the moment. It only took 1 week after being successful at interview to get the medical booked in at a date convenient. Regarding location mine was at Birmingham which is local to me but there were other cities available when they contacted me.

High Dyke

Established Member
Could anybody please tell me how the rail season ticket works please, is it true network rail will pay 75% of the total cost?
Interest free loans for season tickets are available to all employees to enable them to spread the cost of purchase of season tickets for car parking, rail, underground and bus travel, connected to travel to their normal place of work. They seemingly come in two versions.

1) Subsidised loans through Abellio Corporate Travel (ACT) are only available on standard fare tickets and to employees who are not in receipt of safeguarded staff travel for rail or underground season tickets

or:

2) Non-subsidised season ticket loan: Following authorisation, the loan amount is entered through payroll and will appear in the employee’s payslip in the next available pay period thereafter. The loan is repayable in instalments by payroll deduction in the subsequent ten or five pay periods, following the pay period in which the loan is entered. Where the application form does not specify the preferred repayment period, the five pay period option will be applied for a six-month ticket and a ten pay period option for an annual ticket.

Midlands_lad

Interest free loans for season tickets are available to all employees to enable them to spread the cost of purchase of season tickets for car parking, rail, underground and bus travel, connected to travel to their normal place of work. They seemingly come in two versions.

1) Subsidised loans through Abellio Corporate Travel (ACT) are only available on standard fare tickets and to employees who are not in receipt of safeguarded staff travel for rail or underground season tickets

or:

2) Non-subsidised season ticket loan: Following authorisation, the loan amount is entered through payroll and will appear in the employee’s payslip in the next available pay period thereafter. The loan is repayable in instalments by payroll deduction in the subsequent ten or five pay periods, following the pay period in which the loan is entered. Where the application form does not specify the preferred repayment period, the five pay period option will be applied for a six-month ticket and a ten pay period option for an annual ticket.
Many thanks

9tfrizzco

Can't see it happening for the life of me. Covid-19 is no joke. It's gonna be a long summer....

When would the next intake at signaller school normally take place? Just want to get to grips with the kind of timeframes I might be dealing with

Last edited:

7Paul7

Can't see it happening for the life of me. Covid-19 is no joke. It's gonna be a long summer....

When would the next intake at signaller school normally take place? Just want to get to grips with the kind of timeframes I might be dealing with

If you have a start date for employment then I would think network rail would honour this regardless of any delay of signalling school starting, people will have had to give notice to current employers etc.

Leafage

I've joined Network Rail recently as an apprentice signaller.
Places at signal school seemingly always have a delay before starting. I was told around two months of site visits to boxes, cab rides, simulator trials, inductions and e learning would be used to keep me busy until potentially starting school.
I've now been told to sit tight and not make any site visits in the immediate future due to Corona Virus. This is likely to only increase I assume.
I'm in limbo, however more than happy to do the right thing to limit any spread of the virus, but also awaiting a time when I can start training.
I appreciate it's an exciting time and that people want to get on with their lives, however, please be patient with NR, I'm sure they have bigger fish to fry at this moment in time.

9tfrizzco

I've joined Network Rail recently as an apprentice signaller.
Places at signal school seemingly always have a delay before starting. I was told around two months of site visits to boxes, cab rides, simulator trials, inductions and e learning would be used to keep me busy until potentially starting school.
I've now been told to sit tight and not make any site visits in the immediate future due to Corona Virus. This is likely to only increase I assume.
I'm in limbo, however more than happy to do the right thing to limit any spread of the virus, but also awaiting a time when I can start training.
I appreciate it's an exciting time and that people want to get on with their lives, however, please be patient with NR, I'm sure they have bigger fish to fry at this moment in time.
Just to clarify- has your employment officially started?

Wokinguser

If it doesn’t mention anything about not being able to apply for other positions then it sounds like you are good to go!
Hi, I subsequently found out from recruitment I have to wait 6mths before I can re-do the test I failed on. They shared my scores with me so I know what to double-up on for next time. At least I know where i'm at with it now. Cheers mate.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Sick pay full for six months, half for six then nothing.

Pension non railway new starter NWR plan for five years, before you can transfer to Railway Pension final salary scheme. If your railway and RPS already you can go straight into NWR section of RPS.

Javagem

Sick pay full for six months, half for six then nothing.

Pension non railway new starter NWR plan for five years, before you can transfer to Railway Pension final salary scheme. If your railway and RPS already you can go straight into NWR section of RPS.
Excellent benefits - not many places offering final salary pensions nowadays.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
40yrs service for full benefits, luck i joined when I was 21 so I’m out of here at some point once I’m 55. You can add additional sums each month to the voluntary contributions scheme as well.