• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Thanks! What is SP = spare (shift with nothing allocated)? Do you work these shifts or not? Sorry, confused...

SP - spare after the roster is published means your not required to work, but should remain fit for duty.
At the moment if your spare your to remain at home on call basically.

Under normal circumstances if your spare you’ll come in at your booked time, and work as required doing extra breaks etc.

You’ll only be spare (generally) if your in a relief link, residents don’t (generally) get spare turns.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jmoz

Hi - would anyone know the exact location of the Crossing Keeper job posted in Didcot? Wondering if it is central Didcot or on the fringes/in the country so you would definitely need a car...

Many Thx!
Hi again, I applied for this job and the Department is listed as "OW LOM TVSC Link 3 (102165) G5". Does that imply the job is actually in the TVSC?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi again, I applied for this job and the Department is listed as "OW LOM TVSC Link 3 (102165) G5". Does that imply the job is actually in the TVSC?

The TVSC Crossing job is located within TVSC Didcot, youll be for rostering purposes in Link3 hence TVSC Link 3.

0700-1900-0700 - 12 hrs shifts.

Wilsonj194

Hello everyone

Long time lurker here. I have just applied for the entry level signaller opportunities and have completed the questions and submitted the test.
The subsequent Email that is sent asking me to ensure I have submitted the application has a link to a login page, now i guess I use the same login as I do for my Network Rail careers account and yet I'm being tol that 'authentication failed' I've reset my password twice and now I'm at a loss at what I can do.
Has anyone else had the same issue?

7Paul7

Hello everyone

Long time lurker here. I have just applied for the entry level signaller opportunities and have completed the questions and submitted the test.
The subsequent Email that is sent asking me to ensure I have submitted the application has a link to a login page, now i guess I use the same login as I do for my Network Rail careers account and yet I'm being tol that 'authentication failed' I've reset my password twice and now I'm at a loss at what I can do.
Has anyone else had the same issue?

I had the same issue in the past, my work around was to go to apply for a different job then you can get from there to your dashboard and all applications

Wilsonj194

I had the same issue in the past, my work around was to go to apply for a different job then you can get from there to your dashboard and all applications
Unfortunately it doesn't take me to the Network Rail website it takes me to a different one which is still Network Rail

SiggerSigAh

Hello folks, sorry if this has already been touched on but just trying to work out how Bank Holiday pay gets calculated. I'm based in the London area and was on nights (Thu - Sun, 6PM-6AM) over the Easter Bank Holiday weekend. I opted for HROP (200%?) so would the following be the case:

Normal pay for 6pm to midnight on the Thursday, extra pay for midnight to 6am on Good Friday, extra pay from 6pm to midnight on Good Friday, normal pay for midnight to 6am on Saturday, normal pay for 6pm-midnight on Saturday, extra pay for midnight to 6am on Easter Sunday, extra pay for 6pm to midnight on Easter Sunday, and finally extra pay from midnight to 6am on Easter Monday.

Appreciate I've written that in the most longwinded way possible. Congrats if you've made it this far. The above way of doing things would make most sense to me but just want to see if that's the case.

Ta in advance for any info :)

Saracen_83

So if it the same, the Thursday into the bank holiday Friday will be normal pay throughout, no extra for the 0000 to 0600 Friday.
Yes you get the extra for the fri night to 0000 as mentioned.

Sat will follow normal sat night pay rules normal to 0000then Sunday rate to 0600

Sunday will be Sunday rate to 0000 then BH rate to 0600

might be regional differences, but that’s how it done here...... I think lol.. however over the past few days,different people have told me different ways lol

Rockhopper

Unfortunately it doesn't take me to the Network Rail website it takes me to a different one which is still Network Rail

I have to clear cookies every few days to make it work. Or in chrome opening the link in an incognito window works about 80% of the time.

Wilsonj194

I have to clear cookies every few days to make it work. Or in chrome opening the link in an incognito window works about 80% of the time.
I just tried it and now it says the URL has not been found, do I need to ask for the link again or just apply for the role again?

Chumba

Does anybody know the shift pattern for Haslemere? Hours per day?

sorry don’t know actual shifts but it’s an 8 hr roster. There are a couple of staff from there on here so hopefully one will be along shortly and answer it for you.

SiggerSigAh

So if it the same, the Thursday into the bank holiday Friday will be normal pay throughout, no extra for the 0000 to 0600 Friday.
Yes you get the extra for the fri night to 0000 as mentioned.

Sat will follow normal sat night pay rules normal to 0000then Sunday rate to 0600

Sunday will be Sunday rate to 0000 then BH rate to 0600

might be regional differences, but that’s how it done here...... I think lol.. however over the past few days,different people have told me different ways lol

Ah well can't moan about missing the extra bung for the 6 hours on the morning of good Friday, god knows we do well enough anyway :)

Thanks for cleaning that one up for me, much obliged.

nom de guerre

Does anybody know the shift pattern for Haslemere? Hours per day?

As Chumba says, it’s an 8hr roster with 12hr Sundays.

Typical changeover times in the area were 0630/1300/2100 (0630/1830 on Sundays). This might have changed since my last visit.

Wilsonj194

Has anyone else applied for the signalling opportunities? And if so is anyone having difficulty logging in to the secure gateway? I can't submit my application and it's getting in my nerves.

HelixUK

Has anyone else applied for the signalling opportunities? And if so is anyone having difficulty logging in to the secure gateway? I can't submit my application and it's getting in my nerves.

As above try clearing cookies. What I did was to go on chrome incognito or Internet explorers in private browsing so there's no interference from cookies etc.

Dunc7615

Anyone applied for the signaller grade 2 posts in Cumbria/Lancs?

And any ideas what shifts/rosters are like for Carnforth/Appleby?
Anyone applied for the signaller grade 2 posts in Cumbria/Lancs?

And any ideas what shifts/rosters are like for Carnforth/Appleby?

Hi I’ve applied and I got an application unsuccessful notification but I’ve been back on my job page and it’s been changed to application under consideration so not really sure what that’s all about. Can’t help with the shift patterns sorry but good luck with your application

DRS66421

Apologies. My last post was sent by accident.

As Dave mentioned there were 6 questions on the future role application and were on the lines of 'Why do you want to work for NR?'
That’s strange. I applied for the Scotland region and I have not received anything for me to do the questions or any tests. Does anyone know why this is? Many thanks.

TRain87

4 weekly roster...
Start Monday for 7 night turns (finish Monday morning)

Then off Mon & Tuesday,

Then late turn Wednesday,Thur, Fri,Sat,

off Sunday,

Late turn Mon & Tuesday,

Off Wednesday,

Then work Thursday - Wednesday Early turns,

Then off Thur,Fri,Sat,Sun...Then start the whole process again! So you finish at 13:00 Wednesday and not back to work until 20:30 Monday

Earlies = 06:20 - 13:00
Lates = 13:00 - 20:30
Nights 20:30 - 06:20
Sunday day is 06:20 - 18:20 / nights 18:20 - 06:20

As Chumba says, it’s an 8hr roster with 12hr Sundays.

Typical changeover times in the area were 0630/1300/2100 (0630/1830 on Sundays). This might have changed since my last visit.

Kraken

Did you manage to fix this? I need to get on to check up on some applications but every time I do I get the “incorrect login details” message. I’ve tried different browsers, deleting cookies on both, using a private/incognito window, all with the same result. If other people are experiencing the same that would be reassuring!

MrsP2010

Did you manage to fix this? I need to get on to check up on some applications but every time I do I get the “incorrect login details” message. I’ve tried different browsers, deleting cookies on both, using a private/incognito window, all with the same result. If other people are experiencing the same that would be reassuring!
I find it works sometimes and doesn't others. I use Chrome both on my phone and laptop and my password is saved automatically. I find if I close the window and try again it works most of the time on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. Very occasionally it doesn't work at all and I just leave it for a few hours or until the next day

Woody27

Hi I’ve applied and I got an application unsuccessful notification but I’ve been back on my job page and it’s been changed to application under consideration so not really sure what that’s all about. Can’t help with the shift patterns sorry but good luck with your application
That’s very interesting, I’ve got a application unsuccessful, think I’ll leave it awhile before I withdraw application, it would be amazing to see it go back to “under consideration”