• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

89jordanbj

The bottom line is you’ll be a qualified signaller, you’ll be able to apply for NWR signaller jobs - it’ll just be externally (like a qualified driver going between TOCs).

You’ll also have a good year to get out (if you wanted) you might well enjoy the benefits of TfW employment, like travel we don’t get.
Exactly. And that has been my goal for some time so I'm not going to give up the opportunity on the basis of what ifs. Looking forward to my interview now, seems like a lifetime waiting to get this far.

Grumpytrucker

Apply for EVERY job you think you can travel to, or even lodge close to, you can all ways move at a later date.

My first location was about 140 minutes from home (each way), which resulted in my lodging for just short of two years before I could get a move closer to home.

It was hard, but well worth the short term pain.
Thanks Tom
Yes I was thinking about lodging, wouldn't be much of.a.problem really.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I wonder if there is anyone who flys in from say Spain or France for the three duty days?

Something I might look at in say 10 years when we’re semi retired in Spain working part time lol

LOM

I wonder if there is anyone who flys in from say Spain or France for the three duty days?

Something I might look at in say 10 years when we’re semi retired in Spain working part time lol
Yes I knew someone who did that when I was in the grade. It worked well for him, he commuted by Ryanair and stayed with his in laws while he was over here.

Last edited:

MylesHSG

I think a certain "B" word might make such adventures much harder in the future!

Peterperfect

As someone who has never worked shifts or had to understand a shift workers payslip us there anyone that can very simply explain something to me? I know the basic salary is 34697, but I've seen people saying this isnt what you earn with Sundays. How much extra are sundays? How does sunday working work? Obviously I'm not thinking about overtime it's just the sundays part. Also is extra added on for night shifts? Sorry for all the questions

Its been posted a few times in this thread but here it is again.

Attachments

• IMG-20191220-WA0024.jpg
    IMG-20191220-WA0024.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 68

amanda08

I have two pending invite to assessment 2 currently.
for the same box - one as resident, one as relief, both grade three. I understand an interview is not a given. However IF I get the invite, am I likely to have two interviews or just the one to cover both roles?
I’m just curious

Thanks in advance

Rockhopper

I've heard of people going to an interview and actually being offered a position at another box whilst in the interview (typically a lower grade position though)!

LOM

for the same box - one as resident, one as relief, both grade three. I understand an interview is not a given. However IF I get the invite, am I likely to have two interviews or just the one to cover both roles?
I’m just curious

Thanks in advance

You would only have one interview for both positions.

LOM

I've heard of people going to an interview and actually being offered a position at another box whilst in the interview (typically a lower grade position though)!

Verbal job offers are never made during an interview with NR. You might be asked by the hiring manager whether you would be interested in applying for another vacancy and if so the interview you are having would be taken into account but you would not actually be offered the job there and then. It simply does not work like that.

Rockhopper

Just repeating what was posted on here quite a few months ago now by someone it happened to.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I’m just curious

Thanks in advance

You could well be rejected for one, but offer the other. It’s not unknown for a candidate to be lined up for one job prior to interview, so the other job is offered to the next best person.

amanda08

You could well be rejected for one, but offer the other. It’s not unknown for a candidate to be lined up for one job prior to interview, so the other job is offered to the next best person.
Thanks for the info. I just really hope I actually get an interview invite now!

Questiontime

Thank you
Fingers firmly crossed here then !

Hi Amanda, how long did it take for you the change to 'invite to assessment'? I applied for a role over a month ago and my application has been sat at 'test completed' for 3 week now.

Best of luck.

amanda08

Update - interview confirmed for next week! Now to really get my head down to prepare properly!