• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Gooner18

What is the shift pattern like? I am guessing it differs Place to place. With the very nature of the job surely there must be plenty of rest days?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LOM

Just got this email :

Unfortunately due to CV19 the number of people in signalling school classes have been reduced. This means that your start date for signalling school has been pushed back to 26th May .

My LOM sent me some materials to study too .

I also found the rule books on the rssb website . Google : GERT8000-TS1 Iss 13 ( https://www.jonroma.net/media/rail/opdocs/world/uk/GERT8000-TS1 Iss 13.pdf )

That can be useful on a tablet or smartphone .

Please do not read forward into the rule book before you start school unless your LOM gives you something specific to look at.

Last edited:

amanda08

Could anyone tell me if Melton Mowbray has the same LOM as Oakham? And also if it is an 8 or 12 hour shift pattern?

Is it seen as a problem to interview for jobs at different SB's at the same time?

Thanks

Javagem

Just got this email :

Unfortunately due to CV19 the number of people in signalling school classes have been reduced. This means that your start date for signalling school has been pushed back to 26th May .

My LOM sent me some materials to study too .

I also found the rule books on the rssb website . Google : GERT8000-TS1 Iss 13 ( https://www.jonroma.net/media/rail/opdocs/world/uk/GERT8000-TS1 Iss 13.pdf )

That can be useful on a tablet or smartphone .

Is that at York on 26/5?

Kraken

Could anyone tell me if Melton Mowbray has the same LOM as Oakham? And also if it is an 8 or 12 hour shift pattern?

Is it seen as a problem to interview for jobs at different SB's at the same time?

Thanks

Did you get a notification through about an interview for Melton yet? I’ve got an app in for that and not heard anything yet - hopefully no news is good news.

amanda08

Did you get a notification through about an interview for Melton yet? I’ve got an app in for that and not heard anything yet - hopefully no news is good news.
No, not yet, but it just changed to pending invite so hopefully will get one, (which is what happened for Oakham)

ILoveLamp

Thanks
Just a quick question..you seem to apply for quite a few positions all over the uk, how do you show you are within a valid travelling distance? There have been a few vacancies I’ve fancied applying for, and could possibly relocate, but my home address would just seem far too far away. I hope you don’t mind me asking as you seem to be getting some success too.

Kraken

No, not yet, but it just changed to pending invite so hopefully will get one, (which is what happened for Oakham)

Thanks, that sounds promising then! Mine’s still under consideration - trying not to read too much into that just at the minute. Have you just got the one interview for both Oakham Resident and Relief do you know? Just out of interest.

amanda08

Just a quick question..you seem to apply for quite a few positions all over the uk, how do you show you are within a valid travelling distance? There have been a few vacancies I’ve fancied applying for, and could possibly relocate, but my home address would just seem far too far away. I hope you don’t mind me asking as you seem to be getting some success too.
Oakham and Melton are all within an hours of Nottingham (as are the other signalling positions i've applied for)
Having said that, I am actually happy to move most places. I have family in Notts and in the South West too so am pretty flexible where i go.

amanda08

Thanks, that sounds promising then! Mine’s still under consideration - trying not to read too much into that just at the minute. Have you just got the one interview for both Oakham Resident and Relief do you know? Just out of interest.

Going by the email, they will let me know which one I am being interviewed for in advance (though was invited for both positions) I guess they decide which one you sound most suited for? I'm not totally sure how it works though?

LOM

Any reason lom?

Because if you do not have a railway background and experience then the rule book might as well be written in Greek. The training course is carefully structured to take a complete novice through to being a competent signaller by explaining what the rules mean and how and when they are actually applied. The rule book is not written as a “how to” guide but you need to have a level of knowledge behind you to interpret it. If you get the wrong idea by reading ahead without guidance from a qualified trainer then you may never properly understand what you are supposed to know. Just reading the rules yourself without and explanation or worked examples is a really bad idea and will lead to lots of misunderstanding.

About the only thing it is useful (but not critical) to have a head start on before going to school is memorising the bell codes.

LOM

If you do apply for a job miles away from where you live then make it very clear in your CV or covering letter that you are willing and able to relocate. Lots of candidates seem to take a scattergun approach and apply for *every* signalling vacancy on the list (the hiring manager can see all your current and previous applications!) but unless they say they are willing to relocate then then the 60 minute travelling time is an easy way to eliminate people during the sifting.

Allaboard78

Because if you do not have a railway background and experience then the rule book might as well be written in Greek. The training course is carefully structured to take a complete novice through to being a competent signaller by explaining what the rules mean and how and when they are actually applied. The rule book is not written as a “how to” guide but you need to have a level of knowledge behind you to interpret it. If you get the wrong idea by reading ahead without guidance from a qualified trainer then you may never properly understand what you are supposed to know. Just reading the rules yourself without and explanation or worked examples is a really bad idea and will lead to lots of misunderstanding.

About the only thing it is useful (but not critical) to have a head start on before going to school is memorising the bell codes.
Great advice! Just need a job now

amanda08

If you do apply for a job miles away from where you live then make it very clear in your CV or covering letter that you are willing and able to relocate. Lots of candidates seem to take a scattergun approach and apply for *every* signalling vacancy on the list (the hiring manager can see all your current and previous applications!) but unless they say they are willing to relocate then then the 60 minute travelling time is an easy way to eliminate people during the sifting.
I’ve applied for a lot, but all within an hour circumference of Notts. Is this likely to be off putting to hiring managers?

LOM

I’ve applied for a lot, but all within an hour circumference of Notts. Is this likely to be off putting to hiring managers?
I am sure you will be fine but can be a bit puzzling if you are hiring manager for (say) Plymouth and you get an applicant who lives in (say) Inverness. Especially if they have 15 other applications open at once for boxes all over the country. I suppose it just makes me think why should I give this person an interview over someone local?

Last edited:

amanda08

I am sure you will be fine but can be a bit puzzling if you are hiring manager for (say) Plymouth and you get an applicant who lives in (say) Inverness. Especially if they have 15 other applications open at once for boxes all over the country. I suppose it just makes me think why should I give this person an interview over someone local?
Makes sense. Hopefully as mine are all sub 60 mins, it will be ok

SiggysigAah

Most of my applications are within an hours drive. The two that are not I am willing to relocate or lodge close to the jobs should I be fortunate enough to be offered either of them.

LOM

I am definitely not saying it is impossible to get a job more than an hour away from your home, because it is not. Just make it clear what your plan is.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Please do not read forward into the rule book before you start school unless your LOM gives you something specific to look at.

100% agree, each section of school is designed to lead on from the last. Even then it won’t click until about week 4/5 when everything slots into place.

Reading ahead will only stress you out, and confuse you.

9tfrizzco

I am definitely not saying it is impossible to get a job more than an hour away from your home, because it is not. Just make it clear what your plan is.
There is a box you tick on the initial page of the application regarding willingness to relocate, but it's interesting to know that maybe that wasn't always sufficient. doesn't matter for me now but useful info for others

Last edited:

Pugman

That is correct - the crossing keeper is based in the station building and operates the crossing at one end of the station (and I believe is a grade 1). Off the top of my head the signaller in the signal box at the end of the station is a Grade 3 but I’m not certain of that.
Thanks for the info Godfreycomplex. Much appreciated.

Tomnick

Established Member

Thanks
Different LOMs (unless it’s changed), but they share an office and there’s a lot of overlap - not sure which boxes the Oakham relief job covers but there’s a good chance that it’ll stray into the other LOM’s patch. 8 hour roster as at Oakham, but no booked Sundays at Melton (again, unless it’s changed) as it can and does switch out.

Jay_123

(the hiring manager can see all your current and previous applications!)
Is that internal, external or both LOM? Being a NWR employee myself thats the first I’ve heard of that. Im in no way saying your lying either, its just surprised me. I know your line manager gets notified when you apply but didn’t know when you apply, the hiring manager can see all your previously applied for jobs.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I got a shock when my then new manager called me to one side to ask why is applied for a new role in day 3 of my employment lol

MylesHSG

Yeah, any advice to people starting signalling school. Don't read ahead any rule books. Don't download simsig. Honestly, the course is designed to take you from complete newbie to qualified signaller in a certain timeframe. The rules are useless without the knowledge behind them. Spend the time preceding school with your family (if you live with them in these crazy times) and relaxing. Signalling school is intense. You'll be away from home 5 nights a week in a new environment with new people and lots to learn. Spend your weekends at home relaxing or you will burn out. And remember, if you got to this stage you are more than capable of passing school, don't be intimidated, it will just require a certain amount of dedication and you'll be fine.