• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

olilee2

Only word I’ve heard is there won’t be one, there’ll be the tea party but no raise.
Basically we work all year, forgo terms and generally bend over backwards with zero reward.
Now would be a good time to argue for free travel presumably. Not much skin off their noses given the existing subsidy for season tickets and would go a long way to making NR staff happy with very little outlay

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KendalR

Only word I’ve heard is there won’t be one, there’ll be the tea party but no raise.
Basically we work all year, forgo terms and generally bend over backwards with zero reward.
Our reward is our salary we get paid.

I'm not expecting a pay rise. Just looking on the BBC comments regarding the cut back in services shows there's resentment towards railway employee salaries. I just find myself fortunate to have a job with the salary and conditions we have, now isn't the time to get all militant over no pay rise when the railway industry is losing millions a day. Yes we have been working through the pandemic, but I have friends on near minimum wage jobs on 80% and one who's been made redundant who would love just to put some work in and get a full wage.

Now would be a good time to argue for free travel presumably. Not much skin off their noses given the existing subsidy for season tickets and would go a long way to making NR staff happy with very little outlay
Never going to happen in my opinion although would love to see it happen.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

I'm not expecting a pay rise. Just looking on the BBC comments regarding the cut back in services shows there's resentment towards railway employee salaries. I just find myself fortunate to have a job with the salary and conditions we have, now isn't the time to get all militant over no pay rise when the railway industry is losing millions a day. Yes we have been working through the pandemic, but I have friends on near minimum wage jobs on 80% and one who's been made redundant who would love just to put some work in and get a full wage.

Im afraid with the view of “we should be lucky” we might as well offer a pay cut to the firm to show how grateful we are.

I don’t know about you but I’ve put my health and that of my family on the line every time I step into the sealed AC office that is my place of work.

Even rhe official advice is to open windows, no chance here.

Without signallers forget your Tesco train delivering goods across the country, note signallers who in the main work in AC sealed centres.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

I heard this suggested, but it’s still a substantial cost to the firm - one they won’t consider I doubt.

KendalR

Im afraid with the view of “we should be lucky” we might as well offer a pay cut to the firm to show how grateful we are.

I don’t know about you but I’ve put my health and that of my family on the line every time I step into the sealed AC office that is my place of work.

Even rhe official advice is to open windows, no chance here.

Without signallers forget your Tesco train delivering goods across the country, note signallers who in the main work in AC sealed centres.
Trust me I know. I signal the Tesco trains and a whole lot of other freight on the WCML in a Power Box with AC and no windows open.

Maybe if you feel that concerned about the risk to your health you shouldn’t be working. Family and health should always comes before money. Luckily where I work we are socially distanced and have access to masks and gloves along with sanitising products should we wish to use them. I don’t know about your place of work obviously but if it’s not the same in your location I’d be on to my H&S rep immediately.

With regards to offering money back, it’s a bit of a ridiculous strawman statement.

If you can’t see that in the middle of a pandemic where our company is losing millions of pounds each day, where real heroes like Nurses on a grade 1 wage are losing there lives to this nasty disease that maybe for one year we shouldn’t expect a pay rise then it’s beyond me.

None of us are entitled to a pay rise.

SignallerJohn

Trust me I know. I signal the Tesco trains and a whole lot of other freight on the WCML in a Power Box with AC and no windows open.

Maybe if you feel that concerned about the risk to your health you shouldn’t be working. Family and health should always comes before money. Luckily where I work we are socially distanced and have access to masks and gloves along with sanitising products should we wish to use them. I don’t know about your place of work obviously but if it’s not the same in your location I’d be on to my H&S rep immediately.

With regards to offering money back, it’s a bit of a ridiculous strawman statement.

If you can’t see that in the middle of a pandemic where our company is losing millions of pounds each day, where real heroes like Nurses on a grade 1 wage are losing there lives to this nasty disease that maybe for one year we shouldn’t expect a pay rise then it’s beyond me.

None of us are entitled to a pay rise.
You’re very naive if you think the current government would reimburse what they don’t give us into the NHS wages.

Edit: sneaky edit, once again, other jobs can get a pay rise as well as us, it doesn’t have to be one or the other. If you’re that passionate about them receiving a better wage I would make sure to check what your local MP voted in relation to it. I know mine voted against them being paid more.

KendalR

You’re very naive if you think the current government would reimburse what they don’t give us into the NHS wages.

Edit: sneaky edit, once again, other jobs can get a pay rise as well as us, it doesn’t have to be one or the other. If you’re that passionate about them receiving a better wage I would make sure to check what your local MP voted in relation to it. I know mine voted against them being paid more.
Never did I say I expect the government to reimburse what they don't give us into NHS wages nor was I suggesting Nurses should get one (Although whilst we're here of course I think they should).

I'm trying to put into perspective what kind of year we have had. Others saying we're risking our lives everyday when there are other professions who really are losing their lives.

nom de guerre

I'm inclined to agree.

And industrial action would be a terrible look during a pandemic.

When I’m at the other box I sign, it’s heater on and windows open - love it.

Really? You're a harder man than me - or perhaps you're just moving around more :smile:

Toots

There is resentment towards MP's for their above inflation pay rises year on year but I don't see them wringing their caps saying how lucky they are to have a job. Indeed there are many people who are sadly losing their jobs but by the same token there are people who are making a lot of money from the present crisis. It's all very well to find yourself fortunate to have the 'salary and conditions' you have, but the Signalling grade covers a wide range of roles and pay grades and judging by your subsequent posts you are at least a grade six without an outside privy! (Tom is a harder than me too!:D). I'm sure the Drivers won't be backward at coming forward when looking for a pay rise. Of course health workers should receive a pay rise, but they will only get that by a political will not by any behaviour the railway industry adopts.

Defenestrate

RE salaries, pay rises (or lack thereof) and money:

It sounds like people have some very valid opinions, even if we don't all agree exactly.

I'd welcome a gesture, a token increase, considering we've been at work the whole time. Lockdown or not regardless of the amount of passengers, trains still need to be signalled! But, a rise would only ever be relatively small now - not enough to break the already broken bank, nor at a level to see us accused of being mercenaries. This does not mean other jobs do not deserve pay rises too, however.

I consider myself fortunate to be in the grade as the whole "package" is fantastic, certainly compared to previous jobs I've had, but...I see some more experienced signallers who have become accustomed to riding the overtime hard for big wage packets, yet who have also adjusted their spending accordingly - i.e. they earn a lot and spend a lot. Up to them, their choice, their money, they work for it etc. But it does makes me wince on the inside when I hear the spending talk - "...Looking to get a snooker table...", "...I've just ordered a piano..." :rolleyes: - but again, it's somebody else's personal choice, so no criticism from me - maybe I am just tight!

However, my own point of view is this: Harder times economically are undoubtedly ahead, perhaps more drastically in a few months or years, but I'm certain that the ripple affects of the current crisis will be felt for a significant time - so if overtime is offered, I'll take it, as it might not be available as frequently in the future. Save or invest the money, look to create a safety net, an emergency fund, pay off debts or build an alternative income stream. Long term I'd personally like to be able to go into work because I want to, not because I need to...Maybe it's a pipe dream, but a goal to aim for nonetheless!

For anyone who is purchasing pool/snooker tables and/or pianos, I apologise...;)

nom de guerre

There is resentment towards MP's for their above inflation pay rises year on year but I don't see them wringing their caps saying how lucky they are to have a job. Indeed there are many people who are sadly losing their jobs but by the same token there are people who are making a lot of money from the present crisis. It's all very well to find yourself fortunate to have the 'salary and conditions' you have, but the Signalling grade covers a wide range of roles and pay grades and judging by your subsequent posts you are at least a grade six without an outside privy! (Tom is a harder than me too!:D). I'm sure the Drivers won't be backward at coming forward when looking for a pay rise. Of course health workers should receive a pay rise, but they will only get that by a political will not by any behaviour the railway industry adopts.

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't ask for a raise - just that, in the current climate, our usual 'ultimate bargaining chip' of industrial action isn't fully on the table.

Yes, signalling covers a wide range of roles and pay grades - which means you have ample opportunity to move upwards if you wish, no?

RE salaries, pay rises (or lack thereof) and money:

It sounds like people have some very valid opinions, even if we don't all agree exactly.

I'd welcome a gesture, a token increase, considering we've been at work the whole time. Lockdown or not regardless of the amount of passengers, trains still need to be signalled! But, a rise would only ever be relatively small now - not enough to break the already broken bank, nor at a level to see us accused of being mercenaries. This does not mean other jobs do not deserve pay rises too, however.

I consider myself fortunate to be in the grade as the whole "package" is fantastic, certainly compared to previous jobs I've had, but...I see some more experienced signallers who have become accustomed to riding the overtime hard for big wage packets, yet who have also adjusted their spending accordingly - i.e. they earn a lot and spend a lot. Up to them, their choice, their money, they work for it etc. But it does makes me wince on the inside when I hear the spending talk - "...Looking to get a snooker table...", "...I've just ordered a piano..." :rolleyes: - but again, it's somebody else's personal choice, so no criticism from me - maybe I am just tight!

However, my own point of view is this: Harder times economically are undoubtedly ahead, perhaps more drastically in a few months or years, but I'm certain that the ripple affects of the current crisis will be felt for a significant time - so if overtime is offered, I'll take it, as it might not be available as frequently in the future. Save or invest the money, look to create a safety net, an emergency fund, pay off debts or build an alternative income stream. Long term I'd personally like to be able to go into work because I want to, not because I need to...Maybe it's a pipe dream, but a goal to aim for nonetheless!

For anyone who is purchasing pool/snooker tables and/or pianos, I apologise...;)

The 'money trap'...

It never ceased to amaze me how many of the £80K+ earners at my last place burned through their money: £50K cars and/or classic car collections, extensions, new driveways, boats, eyewateringly-expensive garden redesigns, regular foreign cruises... don't recall any pianos though :lol:

The point was that there was always 'something'. As you say though, each to their own!

Toots

'Ample opportunity to move upwards'?. That isn't really the point. I don't begrudge a grade 6 in a PSB getting grade 6 money,what I draw exception to is that a grade 6 (or whoever) says we (Signallers) shouldn't ask for a pay rise. The way figures like 80k get bandied about on here probably give the impression that many of us are on those amounts and that simply isn't the case, nowhere near in fact.So if that is the belief then the resentment expressed on the BBC etc which was mentioned earlier is understandable. My job is completely different to those of my IECC, and ROC counterparts and as such I wouldn't have the desire to move to one of those roles, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed at least an equal to inflation wage rise to maintain what we in our lower grade roles ,do have.

nom de guerre

If that is indeed what was being advocated, then it was only in the context of these specific, and very unusual circumstances - i.e. with rail travel massively impacted, our employer haemorrhaging money etc etc. It’s difficult to argue that these aren’t extraordinary times, and like it or not, that is likely to significantly influence any pay talks that happen to be scheduled during this period. No?

Or, to put it another way: do you believe we should always ask for a pay raise, regardless of the circumstances? And if we're not offered a raise in part/all of the next deal, would you feel comfortable taking industrial action during what is likely to be an ongoing pandemic?

Would a majority of casual/external viewers of this forum believe that many of us are earning £80k+? I'm not sure. I've never claimed that. Realistically, you need to be Grade 7 and above - which is probably already a minority of the signalling workforce - and even then, I doubt it's a majority of those. At my last box, there were only four or five that reached that level and it meant either working ridiculous amounts of OT, or combining signalling with other roles, eg SSM-ing. It certainly wasn't the norm, particularly if you wanted to have a life! Obviously mathematics dictates that £80K and upwards becomes proportionately easier to attain at G8/9/10 but I suspect the forthcoming max 60 hour week, and commensurate increase in staffing levels, will bring an end to the absolute top-strata figures, simply as the likelihood is that less OT will be available.

As for media-generated resentment, we're relatively lucky compared to drivers in the sense that our grade tends to mostly fly under the radar (apart from the tediously predictable bi-annual Daily Heil knocking piece that takes great delight in listing every signaller/signalling-related employee earning over £100K). If there was a Family Fortunes question on the highest-earning railway jobs, I'm not necessarily sure we'd be one of the first answers - if only because our grade remains slightly 'hidden'. Which is fine by me...

Last edited:

KendalR

'Ample opportunity to move upwards'?. That isn't really the point. I don't begrudge a grade 6 in a PSB getting grade 6 money,what I draw exception to is that a grade 6 (or whoever) says we (Signallers) shouldn't ask for a pay rise. The way figures like 80k get bandied about on here probably give the impression that many of us are on those amounts and that simply isn't the case, nowhere near in fact.So if that is the belief then the resentment expressed on the BBC etc which was mentioned earlier is understandable. My job is completely different to those of my IECC, and ROC counterparts and as such I wouldn't have the desire to move to one of those roles, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed at least an equal to inflation wage rise to maintain what we in our lower grade roles ,do have.

I agree there's signallers who get no where near 80k, I've been there and worked my way up from a grade 2 manual box but what grade I am is irrelevant as I seem to be once again correcting people mis-quoting me... I've not said we shouldn't ask for a pay rise.

When I initially replied to Tom the RMT had already (Back end of last year) put forward their request for a pay rise. Along with requesting improvement in certain terms for example asking for the removal of the two tier workforce and having free travel for all.

What I'm trying to say is if we don't get a pay rise I won't be disappointed if the reason given is due to finances and I don't think we should be up in arms over it if that's what happens.

Saracen_83

Should we ask for a pay rise..... of course we should. We set a precedent if we do not. Plus other key workers have got pay rises (quite rightly too) and so therefore there is no reason why we cannot ASK.

Whether we get one to the magnitude that we want is another thing. As nom de guerre points out, would you be willing to go on industrial action if we don’t get a “satisfactory” payrise or even one at all??

The company also have things to consider, like the bonus we received..... yes the company is losing a vast amount of money, but it’s workforce is still working hard and yes still putting themselves at risk coming to work, however minimal some boxes are...
the company need to balance not only the books (is that’s possible at the moment) the need to keep the staff happy, motivated and feeling appreciated for their efforts in the last 9-10 months as well as the need to possibly think of the pandemic and the media/outside worlds thoughts and opinions.....

not an easy job.

Do I want a rise yes, of course we all do.. will get a significant one, probably not. I can see us getting either Getting none or just a small token of appreciation one...

But again, sets a precedent for talks in future years if a smaller rise accepted etc...

who knows!
All we can do is wait and find out I suppose!! Which is likely to be another month or two!

Schapman

Hey everyone!

Ive recently applied for and got a Grade 5 signaller job at Tweedmouth! However I’ve also applied for a relief (32%) grade 5 at Morpeth and have been told by the LOM that he will consider me for that too.
Is being a relief much different to being a one-station signaller?

Ive come from the OHL, so a big change of career but hopefully it goes well! I start on a course at York in February. Is the course still 12 weeks or 10?

Kind regards everyone
Chris
Hi Chris,
i am applying for a job as a signaller at Tweedmouth. Any help appreciate, change of career too. Could you send me (via PM) any tips for the application and questions? Got rejected a few times and it’s quite depressing, feel I have the right experience and skills so tips would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toots

I agree there's signallers who get no where near 80k, I've been there and worked my way up from a grade 2 manual box but what grade I am is irrelevant as I seem to be once again correcting people mis-quoting me... I've not said we shouldn't ask for a pay rise.

When I initially replied to Tom the RMT had already (Back end of last year) put forward their request for a pay rise. Along with requesting improvement in certain terms for example asking for the removal of the two tier workforce and having free travel for all.
I must have misunderstood you.I got the impression it was a case of I'm alright Jack now you are earning the big bucks.If that wasn't the case,accept my apologies.

Last edited:

KendalR

I must have misunderstood you.I got the impression it was a case of I'm alright Jack now you are earning the big bucks.If that wasn't the case,accept my apologies.
No wasn't the case at all. Apology accepted. :)

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I had a look on the internal list today, very little only about 20 jobs listed (signaller) in stead of the usual 40+.

A few local jobs to me that where quite juicy but now isn’t the time unfortunately.

ILoveLamp

I had a look on the internal list today, very little only about 20 jobs listed (signaller) in stead of the usual 40+.

A few local jobs to me that where quite juicy but now isn’t the time unfortunately.
It’s gone very quiet externally...Covid needs to do-one!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can I remind posters that this thread is primarily to provide advice for those who are seeking a career as a signaller.

It is not intended to be a general "chit-chat" thread for existing signallers.

thank you. :)

Defenestrate

It’s gone very quiet externally...Covid needs to do-one!
Regarding this point, of there not being many signaller vacancies externally, it really should highlight the importance of having your CV, covering letter and answers to the 69 questions (+ examples) ready to go, because in this environment there's a good chance vacancies will close early (due to number of applicants).

G5 Woking position gone up externally recently - how gutted would you be if this is your ideal location and you missed out because you only started writing your CV when you saw the advert?... Instead of when when you became interested in becoming a signaller?

Last edited:

tommyb2687

do you get the full training salary from the date you start signalling school or not until you have passed out

89jordanbj

do you get the full training salary from the date you start signalling school or not until you have passed out
You will be paid a grade below whilst at signalling school and until you pass out. I.e if you are going to a grade 3 box you will get paid grade 2 at school and until you pass out in the box