• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Casey_Jones

Can anyone advise on bank holiday pay for night shifts over the Xmas period? I've asked a number of people on my patch and no one seems to be sure at all.

I'm due to start a week of nights at 10pm on Boxing Day, and I am thinking this is how it will work out -

26th Dec; 2 hours Boxing Day rate to midnight, 6 hours bank holiday rate as the 27th is also a BH.
27th Dec: 2 hours bank holiday rate to midnight, then another 6 hours at bank holiday rate as the 28th is also a BH
28th Dec: 2 hours bank holiday rate to midnight, then regular night rates

Does that seem right?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bouff34

Can anyone advise on bank holiday pay for night shifts over the Xmas period? I've asked a number of people on my patch and no one seems to be sure at all.

I'm due to start a week of nights at 10pm on Boxing Day, and I am thinking this is how it will work out -

26th Dec; 2 hours Boxing Day rate to midnight, 6 hours bank holiday rate as the 27th is also a BH.
27th Dec: 2 hours bank holiday rate to midnight, then another 6 hours at bank holiday rate as the 28th is also a BH
28th Dec: 2 hours bank holiday rate to midnight, then regular night rates

Does that seem right?
Yes! Bear in mind that LROP might be the better payment to choose... otherwise for the 28th you only get 2hrs BH pay at the higher rate and no comp day ( 2hrs at lower rate plus a comp day off seems much better to me....)

Sunset route

Established Member
Hi Sunset,

Are you still at TBROC?

Hello, no I work at TBASC, the two signalling centres are nearly opposite each other across the Brighton Main Line, but the two locations (TBASC & TBROC) totally separate work locations when it comes to Signaller positions even though we share the same management at the higher levels (ie above LOMs).

Ronnie215

Can anybody signpost me in the right direction to know what tests to practice for grade 2 signaller, particularly in wales. The amount of conflicting information about what tests you do is confusing me to death. Is there any maths? Verbal reasoning? What's the best website? Any help would be awesome!!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Can anybody signpost me in the right direction to know what tests to practice for grade 2 signaller, particularly in wales. The amount of conflicting information about what tests you do is confusing me to death. Is there any maths? Verbal reasoning? What's the best website? Any help would be awesome!!

The best option is using the search function on this thread - yes there's a lot to go through but you will also find very valuable information.

Bryan111

Anyone have experience of being on the reserve list? Wondering what the chances are of being offered a position

Rsteele1987

Morning I am signaller in Scotland, and wondered if anybody is aware if there is a probation period for signallers I have been advised only yesterday that it’s two years? But nowhere in the contract, Ts & Cs or learning agreement does it mention this?

ArchangelA

Anyone have experience of being on the reserve list? Wondering what the chances are of being offered a position
Applied for a grade 6 job March 2021-unsuccessful post interview. Called again in September telling me I was on a reserve list for the same job. Didn't have to do any more interviews or tests, was offered a job by October, and I'm now in training to be a Grade 6 signaller.
Don't give up hope, miracles can and do happen! ;)

Casey_Jones

Whilst it's not possible to say what the chances are, plenty of people on this thread over the years have got a position after being on the reserve list so keep your fingers crossed.

Applied for a grade 6 job March 2021-unsuccessful post interview. Called again in September telling me I was on a reserve list for the same job. Didn't have to do any more interviews or tests, was offered a job by October, and I'm now in training to be a Grade 6 signaller.

Similar for me, except I was never even on a reserve list as far as I was aware - I got a strange rejection letter after interview saying I met the standard to be a signaller but had been unsuccessful, then 6 months later out of the blue got a call offering me a position.

Demx93

Where’s your grade 6 job? Are you having to relocate?

NapoleoNik

Hi all! Did anyone apply for the recent advert for the Holyhead - Conwy line and heard anything back? I was advised I’d hear back week after 10th nov but am still waiting to hear. I presume it’s unsuccessful but am keen to apply for other posts but with feedback to improve so I don’t check emails every day waiting!
Hi! I heard back a few days ago - positive result! How about you?

89jordanbj

I was on a reserve list and got a nice surprise phone call a few months later to see if I still wanted to be a signaller.

Very soon after I was on my way to York to start signalling school.

Leesaclare

Hello all, I was successful at getting Crediton. Start 4th of Jan and signal school Bristol 10th of Jan, anybody else heading to Bristol?

I was told the same start date, with signalling school on 10th Jan in Milton Keynes.
I did my medical on 17th Nov, was told 5 working days for the results but still waiting...
I'm meant to be handing my notice in Friday next week, it's all starting to feel very tight
Contact the recruitment team and they will chase optima, if you haven't had it already

Sy_!

Hello all, I was successful at getting Crediton. Start 4th of Jan and signal school Bristol 10th of Jan, anybody else heading to Bristol?

Contact the recruitment team and they will chase optima, if you haven't had it already
I’ve been offered the Exeter job, so Bristol would be handy! Just waiting on the medical results, when did you do you medical ?

Leesaclare

I’ve been offered the Exeter job, so Bristol would be handy! Just waiting on the medical results, when did you do you medical ?
Medical tomorrow, they are pushing hard to get results by end of week so I can hand notice in ready for Jan

Sy_!

Medical tomorrow, they are pushing hard to get results by end of week so I can hand notice in ready for Jan
Let’s hope they do. You basically get a verbal pass/fail at the end of your medical, you just need the drug and alcohol test results for the go ahead and waiting weeks for a urine test that you know you will pass is crazy!

Anneruon

I sent an email last monday and they said they were expecting it back last week.
When I didn't hear anything I sent another one over the weekend asking if they've heard anything and if not then if they had a contact at optima for me to chase.
Does it normally take this long? Worried that with Christmas so close it isn't going to come back this side of new years...

LeGrimpeur

Hi

I've had a search around the forum but can't find the answer.
LOMs, seems like they don't get paid overtime but they do get an on call allowance?
What would be a reasonable estimate of what take-home pay would be above the stated salary for a position?
@LOM could I tempt you back to answer this one?
Thanks

ArchangelA

That’s class, I’m January I’ll be starting the first module in York! I’m nervous, have you any tips from your time there?
My advice to you would be to make sure you have a good stock-pile of pens, post-it notes, lined note books, highlighters, and a ruler. You'll be writing notes until your hand wants to drop off. You can of course take a lap-top if you wish to to type your notes up. You may also like to sign up to the RSSB website* so that you are able to access the Rules (Standards) catalogue. I wouldn't bother trying to find out which Rules books you need to read yet as this will simply confuse you and you won't know which Rule books you're being taught yet. It wouldn't do ny harm though to see what the Rules look like as you WILL be required to memorise some portions of them for use whilst signalling.
Other than that prepare yourself for a great time, but very hard work ahead of yourself.

* You'll be provided with all of your required Rule books before you start Signalling School. Within the first few days/week you'll be dipping into these. The first week is fairly easy going looking at course expectations and learning styles, railway familiarisation, and some basic introduction to the world of signals and signalling. Good luck with it! You'll love it. Which kind of signalling are you going to?

Last edited:

Sy_!

I sent an email last monday and they said they were expecting it back last week.
When I didn't hear anything I sent another one over the weekend asking if they've heard anything and if not then if they had a contact at optima for me to chase.
Does it normally take this long? Worried that with Christmas so close it isn't going to come back this side of new years...
I’m in the same boat, had my medical 3 weeks tomorrow! Cutting it close if I am to start in Jan now.

Trainer2

Can someone answer my buddies question please ?

‘If you have a hearing aid, can you be a signaller or Network Rail MOM?’

Nemo01

Can someone answer my buddies question please ?

‘If you have a hearing aid, can you be a signaller or Network Rail MOM?’
It is possible for a Signaller in a multi manned location to wear a hearing aid but I don't know about MOMs or single manned locations