• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Novice123

Some interesting proposals for recruitment and training from the management side in the Operations Productivity improvements linked to the latest pay offer:

The offer has many other strings attached and hasn’t been accepted by the RMT yet but the above gives an idea of what management is thinking about for the future.

If an external new starter signed their contract and after that date the union and NR agreed a new pay deal which altered new starter terms - would the new agreed terms (e.g. the proposed G2 pay at Signaller School, max. G4 pay until pass-out) be backdated / apply immediately / not apply at all?

For example, a new hire for a G9 position half-way through signaller school/working in the box prior to passing-out - would they have:
- a sudden pay reduction until they are passed out,
- have to pay back the 'over pay' amount to align with the new terms,
- not be effected at all, because the change in terms will only apply to 'new starters' who's employment contract is dated after the date the revised terms deal.

I appreciate this is all currently hypothetical and I apologise for my ignorance in these matters. I'm not looking to comment on the 'reasonableness' of any of the above, but to find out how they would / would likely be implemented, based upon previous agreements.

denzilson

All the information you need is presented to you in the Brief that is sent to you.

You are then presented with several scenarios that develop on from what is contained in the candidate brief.

Your task is to respond to the scenarios as best you can, based on the information you have been given, and using your own personal responses, based on what you have learnt about the role of a Signaller.

I worried too much about it but it’s actually alright. The Scenarios I was tasked with were different to the ones posted previously on here, so learn about the role and digest everything in the brief.
Hey thanks. Yes I suppose if this were just a stand alone online assessment it would be ok. I think the fact that they record your responses makes it seem a lot more nerve wracking. I’m sure I’ll be fine if it’s just common sense. Thanks again buddy

Signal_Box

Hi all, I'm going to be applying for the Marston Vale position. Would anyone be able to tell me what the shift pattern would be? With no paths between 23:00 and 05:00 would it be 12 hours 00:00 to 12:00 and 12:00 to 24:00?

Usually 0600-1800-0600 or 0700-1900-0700 if on 12hrs or a horrific fatigue inducing pattern of 8 and 12s.

No traffic doesn’t mean no shift or work even, 90% of work is undertaken at night. These days your much busier on nights than days with multiple line blockages and T3s at night.

Hi, ive been reading lots on here but rarely post. I interviewed for a Grade 4 role in Exeter on Tuesday and had a call today to say I've been successful. Im absolutely over the moon.
Got lots of questions about the shift pattern in Exeter so my wife and i can start figuring out work and kids etc, anyone know what they are at St Davids?

It’s the big brick building behind / next to St David’s station.

I think their on 12hrs 0600-1800-0600 or 0700-1900-0700.

During training you’ll be on a 7 or 8 hour roster five days a week vice the 12hrs on 3 days per week.

Generally you’ll be on training Mon to Fri as you progress in your training locally you’ll do the weekends and nights as you require them.

If an external new starter signed their contract and after that date the union and NR agreed a new pay deal which altered new starter terms - would the new agreed terms (e.g. the proposed G2 pay at Signaller School, max. G4 pay until pass-out) be backdated / apply immediately / not apply at all?

For example, a new hire for a G9 position half-way through signaller school/working in the box prior to passing-out - would they have:
- a sudden pay reduction until they are passed out,
- have to pay back the 'over pay' amount to align with the new terms,
- not be effected at all, because the change in terms will only apply to 'new starters' who's employment contract is dated after the date the revised terms deal.

I appreciate this is all currently hypothetical and I apologise for my ignorance in these matters. I'm not looking to comment on the 'reasonableness' of any of the above, but to find out how they would / would likely be implemented, based upon previous agreements.

If you’ve signed your contract then that’s your terms locked in.

If you start after any new terms are agreed it would depend on if the union and company agreed a start date, which may well be a future date for example 01/01/23 makes things tidier for HR.

Last edited:

Frothy_B

Usually 0600-1800-0600 or 0700-1900-0700 if on 12hrs or a horrific fatigue inducing pattern of 8 and 12s.

No traffic doesn’t mean no shift or work even, 90% of work is undertaken at night. These days your much busier on nights than days with multiple line blockages and T3s.
Thanks for the reply. I figured moving forwards there would likely be a lot of night time possessions for EWR, I didnt realise this was already the case.

Application went in today. I can't find too much info about Marston Vale SCC, except for a list that mentions it's due to close this year. Do you know if that's still the case? I know the end goal will be everything being controlled at ROCs, but I kind of liked the idea of starting out in a smaller independent box before eventually having to move up.

Signal_Box

Any lists that suggest closure dates is now wildly unreliable to be honest, MV is piggy in the middle of two large signalling centres, I’m surprised its lasted this long to be honest but as far as I’m aware there isn’t any work ongoing or planned which will see MV closed anytime in the next five years at least.

Youve Rugby SCC and ROC just up the road, or Wembley down, or West Hampstead as stepping stones locally went your ready to move on and upwards.

John Webb

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I figured moving forwards there would likely be a lot of night time possessions for EWR, I didnt realise this was already the case.

Application went in today. I can't find too much info about Marston Vale SCC, except for a list that mentions it's due to close this year. Do you know if that's still the case? I know the end goal will be everything being controlled at ROCs, but I kind of liked the idea of starting out in a smaller independent box before eventually having to move up.
The advent of Covid in particular, I understand, has caused a rethink on moving everything to ROCs. Our local PSB at West Hampstead was to have been split between Three Bridges and East Midlands and closed, but is now to be retained and the late 1970s N-X panel replaced by VDUs.

Macs1981

No traffic doesn’t mean no shift or work even, 90% of work is undertaken at night. These days your much busier on nights than days with multiple line blockages and T3s at night.

It’s the big brick building behind / next to St David’s station.

I think their on 12hrs 0600-1800-0600 or 0700-1900-0700.

During training you’ll be on a 7 or 8 hour roster five days a week vice the 12hrs on 3 days per week.

Generally you’ll be on training Mon to Fri as you progress in your training locally you’ll do the weekends and nights as you require them.

If you’ve signed your contract then that’s your terms locked in.

If you start after any new terms are agreed it would depend on if the union and company agreed a start date, which may well be a future date for example 01/01/23 makes things tidier for HR.
Brilliant, thanks for this info. Received my contract offer, just reading through it. As someone who has been self employed my whole life up to now, my head is blown! I have rights?!?!

MrsHairy

Good day everyone, I've been looking into a career as a signaller and want to know if anyone has, or knows where I can find, a list of grade 5 or 4 signal boxes around the West Mids?

I don't think I'd enjoy the big signal centre but still want to earn a good wage, so a grade 5/4 would be ideal!

Rockhopper

You could be waiting for years for a vacancy to come up at particular box.

Grade 1: Small crossing box - controls level crossings only, usually with "slots" to release a controlling boxes signals.
Grade 2: Large crossing box, very small mechanical box.
Grade 3: Small mechanical box or panel, usually passing only.
Grade 4/5: Larger mechanical boxes, with some regulating or small panel.
Grade 6: Smaller PSBs or quieter workstations, can cover some large areas. Moderate number of posts.
Grade 7: Medium sized PSBs and IECCs, reasonable number of posts.
Grade 8: and above, the busiest workstations and panels in the busiest centres. Not many of these jobs exist and there is a lot of competition is some areas to get into them.

Signal_Box

Good day everyone, I've been looking into a career as a signaller and want to know if anyone has, or knows where I can find, a list of grade 5 or 4 signal boxes around the West Mids?

I don't think I'd enjoy the big signal centre but still want to earn a good wage, so a grade 5/4 would be ideal!

The best advice is literally watch the careers site EVERY a day, and apply for every vacancy you like the look of.

The West Mids (Birmingham/Derby out towards Worcester and up towards Shrewsbury) is very much modernised now unfortunately with few lower grade boxes left. Worcester is still very much a historical area with multiple grade 2/3/4/5 boxes still operational, with a few around the Birmingham area.

Would East Midlands Signalling Centre, Derby be any good for you? Grade 2/4/5/6/7 jobs in there if you keep a look out.

Defenestrate

I'm not based in the area, but do know of a G4 box - Aston. Not sure when/if it will come up externally...you'd have a larger choice via the internal jobs list!!

Snail2003

Hi,

I appreciate this question would have been answered numerous times however I don't have time to go through it all.

I have an online interview (MS Teams) for a signaller apprenticeship.

I have already undertook an online assessment, psychometric test and a Situations test.

What am I likely to be asked? I am 19 with no rail experience. Cheers

SalzH

All the interviews I have had were competency based and heavily focused on the NTS and why you want to be a signaller/work for Network Rail.

They will be looking for you to demonstrate examples of when you have used the 8 non technical skills, these can be found listed under the Ideal Candidate section of the job advert.

Good luck with the interview.

Defenestrate

Hi,

I appreciate this question would have been answered numerous times however I don't have time to go through it all.

I have already undertook an online assessment, psychometric test and a Situations test.

Never interviewed for that - only signaller roles - however, on the NR site for Level 3 Operations Apprenticeships it says:
"....We’re also looking for candidates that can demonstrate the following behaviours: Calm under pressure, Great communicator, Team worker, Problem solver..."
So at least 4 of the 8 non-technical skills. I'd recommend a quick search of this thread for more info on the NTS.
No guarantees of the questions, but a good idea of what they might ask about.

All the interviews I have had were competency based and heavily focused on the NTS and why you want to be a signaller/work for Network Rail.

They will be looking for you to demonstrate examples of when you have used the 8 non technical skills, these can be found listed under the Ideal Candidate section of the job advert.

Good luck with the interview.
Haha, yes - snap!

Woody27

Hi all I’ve been offered a place at IST, I’m actually blown away by this, and can’t thank you all enough, the advice and information that is posted is gold!!!

Leeward

Hi all I’ve been offered a place at IST, I’m actually blown away by this, and can’t thank you all enough, the advice and information that is posted is gold!!!

Hey, congratulations! Is this for the Exeter vacancy?

I'm starting to lose hope now.

Hatty

Hi, I had an interview on 9th August for grade 6 signaller West Midlands. Has anyone else here had an interview and heard anything yet? It feels a long time ago, just waiting.

Woody27

Canonite

Hi,

Finding time to go through it is the commitment that you need to demonstrate.
The 15,000 posts on this thread alone have been invaluable to candidates who have succeeded in the past and present.

If you filter out perhaps down to page 470 and read from there it will contain most of what you need to know.
Research the role, the way YOU react to situations and developing scenarios are different to anyone else, so you really do have to learn as much as possible.

I will add, a big well done for getting through to interview stage at your age. That’s quite an achievement.

That’s excellent news, well done! :D

Leeward

Sorry to hear that mate, took me 12 applications over 2 years! Don’t know how long you’ve been trying, but keep on it

Just the first so still very proud to have gotten this far. I still have another interview upcoming so will go into that with extra confidence.