• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Defenestrate

Just the first so still very proud to have gotten this far. I still have another interview upcoming so will go into that with extra confidence.
Like a lot of others, it took me many applications, numerous interviews over months and months before I got in!

I honestly thought my first application/CV/interview etc were fantastic...but over the months I had improved every aspect so much, and by the time I got my offer that it made me realise how far I had come since the first attempt.

Keep going and you'll get there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Canonite

I also applied for jobs I didn’t really want just so I could practice my own performance in interviews.
Sounds daft but honestly it worked wonders, I go into interviews now with no nerves at all and I think that is a big part of the process, overcoming your nerves and showing them you can handle the pressure and take it in your stride, especially when there’s a lot at stake.

Leeward

The email also mentioned that I had been put onto the reserve list and will be contacted if a space becomes available.... does every rejection letter mention this - to soften the blow, haha - or is there a genuine possibility of it happening.

definitely request it as it’s very detailed

Just received the feedback. Wow, you're not kidding. It's encouraging to see that it is entirely positive, with only a couple of notes on furthering knowledge. That is very helpful.

Last edited:

Ozifer212

The email also mentioned that I had been put onto the reserve list and will be contacted if a space becomes available.... does every rejection letter mention this - to soften the blow, haha - or is there a genuine possibility of it happening.

Just received the feedback. Wow, you're not kidding. It's encouraging to see that it is entirely positive, with only a couple of notes on furthering knowledge. That is very helpful.
I got the same email

C00k1e

Hi,

I appreciate this question would have been answered numerous times however I don't have time to go through it all.

I have an online interview (MS Teams) for a signaller apprenticeship.

I have already undertook an online assessment, psychometric test and a Situations test.

What am I likely to be asked? I am 19 with no rail experience. Cheers
Finding time to go through it is the commitment that you need to demonstrate.
The 15,000 posts on this thread alone have been invaluable to candidates who have succeeded in the past and present.

If you filter out perhaps down to page 470 and read from there it will contain most of what you need to know.
Research the role, the way YOU react to situations and developing scenarios are different to anyone else, so you really do have to learn as much as possible.

I will add, a big well done for getting through to interview stage at your age. That’s quite an achievement.

That’s excellent news, well done! :D
Or just use the search tool…there is a reason it is available for all to use:idea::lol:

gator op

Good Morning All,

This is a great thread on becoming a signaller and detailing the process.

A quick question is the railway is going through a modernisation process and it will affect a few roles within NR.

How does the recent disputes and more importantly NR recommendations affect the signaller role. (Im not talking basic pay structures as that easy to work out) more terms and conditions and overtime rates, enhancements etc please?

Thankyou

Hylo

Anyone had feedback on the interviews from the Grade 2 (Scarborough, Ferrybridge, Immingham, Worksop, Hexham, Wakefield, Harrogate & Sheffield areas) role?

Still waiting, which I'm taking as a good sign but i think i was one of the earlier interviews as it's been near on 3 weeks, just wondered if others had heard anything.

Mirri

Anyone had feedback on the interviews from the Grade 2 (Scarborough, Ferrybridge, Immingham, Worksop, Hexham, Wakefield, Harrogate & Sheffield areas) role?

Still waiting, which I'm taking as a good sign but i think i was one of the earlier interviews as it's been near on 3 weeks, just wondered if others had heard anything.
Which location were you interviewing for?

I was meant to have my interview last week, but they had to rearrange (twice) and now it's not for another two weeks yet.

Last edited:

Rubble

Good day everyone, I've been looking into a career as a signaller and want to know if anyone has, or knows where I can find, a list of grade 5 or 4 signal boxes around the West Mids?

I don't think I'd enjoy the big signal centre but still want to earn a good wage, so a grade 5/4 would be ideal!
Aston SCC located on Erskine street is Grade 4. But theres not many vacancies directly for this box. Usually new hires on fixed term contracts training at WMCC get offered the chance to train and apply for jobs here is what I’ve found. Are you already working for Network Rail?

Frothy_B

Has anyone passed the psychometric tests first time round, then failed them on the next occasion 6 months later?

Just had my "failed to meet the standard" email this morning after doing the tests last night. Had to do them in a hotel room after a full day of work yesterday, so maybe my brain just wasn't in the right place, but I don't feel I did much worse on this occasion than the first time round.

Will try again in 6 months I guess.

If the job advertised is across multiple grades, such as 4-8, do they set the benchmark for the Grade 8, even if you've only stated interest in the Grade 4 position? The job I applied for and subsequently passed the tests with last year was a 6, so was the benchmark slightly lower, or is it just a flat pass/fail same score across all grades?

High Dyke

Established Member
Good Morning All,

This is a great thread on becoming a signaller and detailing the process.

A quick question is the railway is going through a modernisation process and it will affect a few roles within NR.

How does the recent disputes and more importantly NR recommendations affect the signaller role. (Im not talking basic pay structures as that easy to work out) more terms and conditions and overtime rates, enhancements etc please?

Thankyou
Glad it's helping.

NB: This response is not intended to open discussion on the Network Rail Modernisation process. Please refer to the appropriate forum section for that.

Regarding your question about the modernisation process, well there are still many things for the appropriate leaders to discuss. However, to sum things up:
  • Overtime rates would be altered in line with any pay rise agreed.
  • It depends what you mean by enhancements? There is a proposal to offer some form as travel facility to Network Rail staff, as discussed on those appropriate threads.
  • Proposed changes to terms and conditions are Revised National Rostering Principles; standardised training salaries for new starters; introducing an 'employer justified' retirement age of 67 and revised notice periods, for those leaving Network Rail (increasing from 4-weeks to 6-months);
  • Re-introduction of the 52-week rule (new starters) or 26-weeks (existing employees) - relevant when moving between various signalling roles.
  • Possible increase in the basic working week from 35-hours to 40-hours.

Hylo

Which location were you interviewing for?

I was meant to have my interview for Hexham last week, but they had to rearrange (twice) and now it's not for another two weeks yet.
I believe it was a pool role for those locations, 12 month FTC. Code - netrail/TP/58/750

Is that the same as yours?

The area within 60 mins for me is Immingham but I'm hoping to be allowed to relocate. I moved home during Covid to help family so no ties here currently.

Best of luck for your interview, have you been through the interview process before?

Macs1981

Glad it's helping.

NB: This response is not intended to open discussion on the Network Rail Modernisation process. Please refer to the appropriate forum section for that.

Regarding your question about the modernisation process, well there are still many things for the appropriate leaders to discuss. However, to sum things up:
  • Overtime rates would be altered in line with any pay rise agreed.
  • It depends what you mean by enhancements? There is a proposal to offer some form as travel facility to Network Rail staff, as discussed on those appropriate threads.
  • Proposed changes to terms and conditions are Revised National Rostering Principles; standardised training salaries for new starters; introducing an 'employer justified' retirement age of 67 and revised notice periods, for those leaving Network Rail (increasing from 4-weeks to 6-months);
  • Re-introduction of the 52-week rule (new starters) or 26-weeks (existing employees) - relevant when moving between various signalling roles.
  • Possible increase in the basic working week from 35-hours to 40-hours.
Thanks for this information. Really helpful.

Do we know what Network Rail mean in their statement on the strikes when they say 'modernising reforms' in return for 5% pay rise?

As a new starter im now petrified that there could be immediate job cuts in the pipe line.

Thanks for this information. Really helpful.

Do we know what Network Rail mean in their statement on the strikes when they say 'modernising reforms' in return for 5% pay rise?

As a new starter im now petrified that there could be immediate job cuts in the pipe line.
Sorry, I've just re-read your post.
I'll go in search of the correct thread on here.

Last edited:

Hoppy88mph

Hi, ive been reading lots on here but rarely post. I interviewed for a Grade 4 role in Exeter on Tuesday and had a call today to say I've been successful. Im absolutely over the moon.
Got lots of questions about the shift pattern in Exeter so my wife and i can start figuring out work and kids etc, anyone know what they are at St Davids?
Hi, first of congratulations on being successful. What a relief for you.
I have my interview on Thursday. Just wondering if you can give me an insight on what to expect, what they ask. I like to think I’m preparing well, I’m reading a lot about network rail and educating myself, watching YouTube. This is first interview after 3 years of trying so want to give it my best shot. Any tips would be appreciated.

Dan

y0rkie287

To those who had interviews, did you get any correspondence after your interview?
Or did you just get the unsuccessful / successful email a week or two later?

Hi all, a couple of questions for those that have recently interviewed, did those that were successful all receive an email, a day or 2 after, thanking them for attending, and telling them they had done well? And those that weren’t so lucky, did they call or email you to deliver the final blow??
phone call 2 days later for me offering the job

Macs1981

Hi, first of congratulations on being successful. What a relief for you.
I have my interview on Thursday. Just wondering if you can give me an insight on what to expect, what they ask. I like to think I’m preparing well, I’m reading a lot about network rail and educating myself, watching YouTube. This is first interview after 3 years of trying so want to give it my best shot. Any tips would be appreciated.

Dan
Hi Dan,

Thanks, its a huge career change for me but one im totally focused on and can't wait to start.

I can only talk from my experience, but mine was very relaxed. I was expecting corporate, with suits etc. But, was met by a friendly face which put me at ease straight away. That helped so much as i was sick with nerves. I've never had an interview before so didn't know what to expect.

Learn all of the Non technical skills and practice putting those into some scenarios that you have been involved in throughout your career. Think about the things that you are most proud of in your career, however big or small...then incorporate the NTS into those scenarios. The questions that you are asked will be all about variations of the NTS. Use the STAR method to construct your scenarios.
I'd never heard of this method before so it really helped me!

Any questions feel free to ask, but it's all a bit of a blur now to be honest after the nerves and relief!

Good luck!

illberries

Hi Dan,

Thanks, its a huge career change for me but one im totally focused on and can't wait to start.

I can only talk from my experience, but mine was very relaxed. I was expecting corporate, with suits etc. But, was met by a friendly face which put me at ease straight away. That helped so much as i was sick with nerves. I've never had an interview before so didn't know what to expect.

Learn all of the Non technical skills and practice putting those into some scenarios that you have been involved in throughout your career. Think about the things that you are most proud of in your career, however big or small...then incorporate the NTS into those scenarios. The questions that you are asked will be all about variations of the NTS. Use the STAR method to construct your scenarios.

Any questions feel free to ask, but it's all a bit of a blur now to be honest after the nerves and relief!

Good luck!
This is great advice and served me well too. Congratulations for getting the job! I got the good news from my interview (Wesbury Grade 6) a few weeks ago. But am not due to start IST until the new year.

Thinking up scenarios that have shown use of the NTS whilst using the STAR method to answer is the best advice to allow you to answer all the interviewers questions.

Hoppy88mph

Hi Dan,

Good luck!
Good luck in your career change, it really does seem like a good company to be within.

Thankyou for your advice, I’ve taken that all onboard. Starting to get a little nervous, means a lot so I will just be myself and use your advice to prepare myself.

Dan

y0rkie287

This is great advice and served me well too. Congratulations for getting the job! I got the good news from my interview (Wesbury Grade 6) a few weeks ago. But am not due to start IST until the new year.

Thinking up scenarios that have shown use of the NTS whilst using the STAR method to answer is the best advice to allow you to answer all the interviewers questions.
where are you doing your IST? I'm starting IST at York in the new year

y0rkie287

IST date and location has yet to be confirmed for me. So I may well be joining you! What day are you due to start at York? Beautiful city.
don't know that yet, i still have the medical to do then i start on 19th december doing whatever they ask then new year at york is all i know at the minute, i'm so looking forward to it, i love york

Buzz2017

This forum has been so helpful, I had an interview for Exeter yesterday and I haven’t heard yet. Has anyone else recently had interviews for there? I know there were lots of vacancies.

Leeward

This forum has been so helpful, I had an interview for Exeter yesterday and I haven’t heard yet. Has anyone else recently had interviews for there? I know there were lots of vacancies.

I've literally just 'walked out' of my interview for Exeter.

How did you find it?

Woody27

Hi mate, I interviewed last Tuesday, and was successful, start date of the 26th, best of luck to you

I've literally just 'walked out' of my interview for Exeter.

How did you find it?
How did you think it went mate?

Leeward

How did you think it went mate?

It's a little too raw for me to tell at the moment, it's still a bit of a blur, haha. It was certainly a bit more intense and fast-paced than my Worcester interview a few weeks back. I just really hope I don't have to wait as long for the decision this time.

Woody27

It's a little too raw for me to tell at the moment, it's still a bit of a blur, haha. It was certainly a bit more intense and fast-paced than my Worcester interview a few weeks back. I just really hope I don't have to wait as long for the decision this time.
If you’re successful, you’ll probably hear Monday or Tuesday