• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

bhabloke

Congratulations for getting to this stage. You don’t need tonnes of knowledge for this assessment, it’s more about common sense and applying logic to the situations.

It’s been covered loads on this thread. Best thing to do is use the search function and only select this thread and you will find what you’re looking for.

Best of luck!
Hi There, Thank you. I have looked through this entire thread and found some snippets that might assist.I guess its the fear of the unknown! The interview is a long wait though. Not until the end of next month!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nom de guerre

For a grad 6 posistion? How so?

Imagine they’re classing night allowance and Sundays as basic

With Inner London allowance and booked Sundays, you're looking at £55K-£60K basic.

I mean, I thought I was pretty clear :smile:

I don’t think Acton Wells is so bad

Me neither, but then we've both worked busier boxes. If you're used to a quietish Grade 3, you might feel differently!

I think AW's 'busy' reputation is because there aren't really the quieter off-peak periods you'd expect at most boxes (certainly at most single-manned places): the Overground runs at pretty much the same frequency for 18 hours a day, and you've also got freight (which, obviously, is 24/7). For a single-manned box, that's a bit of a grind.

Hence meal break relief was proposed for here and some other NLL boxes, but I don't think it actually happened (happy to be updated/corrected!).

Last edited:

Csb362

Thanks for the support but I'm not applying again. I know I performed better on the tests this time because to be honest, I made a complete mess of the ones I passed in 2021. Like you, due to personal circs i couldn't take the job back then but they urged me to reapply when I'm ready. So I did last week, which is the next time a local vacancy came up.
So this time I really put the effort in because i wanted a strong performance on the tests. Across the three tests that mark you as you go, I barely made a mistake. The Grid Challenge I know I did better on because I was really prepared for it, so all i can think of was i selected a wrong answer on the psychometric questionnaire test. There's no way of preparing for that one or knowing what they're looking for so I'm not putting myself through this disappointment again, it's really not worth it
I understand your disappointment but having joined network rail in March last year I can assure you that get a signallers job is 100% worth the disappointment, keep plodding along and you’ll get there trust me

Seejwalker

I mean, I thought I was pretty clear
Not sure on the new pay-scales following the rise, but grade 6 with Sundays (12hrs at that), London weighting and nights etc….. could be pushing £60-65k surely?

I’m not sure on if they get meal turns or not? But if they do, then means meal allowance too for the days there’s no meal man.

Kraken

Me neither, but then we've both worked busier boxes. If you're used to a quietish Grade 3, you might feel differently!
This was my view on that - I’m used to mostly 15-20 gaps between trains and sometimes longer. Not sure I’ve got the stamina for a service like that one posted at the moment!

UVB76

I understand your disappointment but having joined network rail in March last year I can assure you that get a signallers job is 100% worth the disappointment, keep plodding along and you’ll get there trust me
It'd be easier to take if I did a poor application but on my feedback they told me they absolutely loved my application. I passed 4 of the aptitude tests but fell short on the Safety and Behavioural Questionnaire. I just don't understand how it's possible to know what to put when the question is to choose between statements such as "It's important to buy expensive things to prove you're a success" or "I don't care about other peoples feelings." neither apply to me and they don't relate to one another in the slightest.
So if they can fail people on that part of the assessment alone then it seems like a complete lottery. I'm in a bad spot in my personal life and getting through to this would have been a huge help, another six months is just soul destroying

nom de guerre

Not sure on the new pay-scales following the rise, but grade 6 with Sundays (12hrs at that), London weighting and nights etc….. could be pushing £60-65k surely?

Good point - I forgot night shift premium (probably because I don't get any nights since going onto the relief!). It's already included in the Sunday figures, but not for other days - so that's another c£1500-£1700/pa on a 12hr roster.

I also forgot the slight enhancement for the second half of a Saturday night shift (again, not something I tend to get these days) which is another c£900-£1K/pa.

So, yeah - both of those would take it into the low £60K range (including London weighting of £4530).

I've attached the payscale I was using - see what you think. The figures for G5 and above are correct, AFAIK.

Attachments

• 2023 Pay Matrix.jpg
    2023 Pay Matrix.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 157

Trothy

Anyone have any idea what a g8 signaller would take on top of their salary with enhancements? Thanks

For a regular man on a 12 hour roster with 2 booked Sundays a month.

Around 67k a year. In areas with plenty of OT available I've seen people take around 95k. But that is working a *lot* of OT which won't actually be possible when the 60 hour week is enforced. (Being introduced Jan 24 in our area)

vinoboxer

Not looking for financial advice but can some of the more experienced heads talk to me about pension options and which is better for a new start to opt into? The CARE scheme or the NRDC defined scheme?

I should also add, been offered a grade 3 position!!

Over the moon and definitely couldn't have got to this point without the help and advice and encouragement of others!!

JoeyB

Not looking for financial advice but can some of the more experienced heads talk to me about pension options and which is better for a new start to opt into? The CARE scheme or the NRDC defined scheme?

Over the moon and definitely couldn't have got to this point without the help and advice and encouragement of others!!
I opted for CARE because it's a guaranteed amount at retirement. NRDC is a defined contribution scheme and is subject to the rises and falls of investment.

Seejwalker

Anyone have any idea what a g8 signaller would take on top of their salary with enhancements? Thanks
All depends on what you want to put in, and circumstances. I made 109k last year, i averaged over 2k a week.

If you wanted to work only what’s rostered, then maybe you’re around £65k location dependant (i.e. London allowance, how many nights, meal relief, Sundays etc….)

I’m no financial advisor, but I’m sure I’ve heard some say going for care then just into RPS after your 5 years.

willpilbeam

Well i wasn't successful with my Grade 2 - Llandudno Bangor Holyhead role. Been placed on a reserve list. Thanks for all the information guys, its much appreciated

UVB76

Well i wasn't successful with my Grade 2 - Llandudno Bangor Holyhead role. Been placed on a reserve list. Thanks for all the information guys, its much appreciated
Sorry to hear that, I'm in same situation, had rejection for the recent Yorkshire grade 2 roles. Make sure you get feedback because this can be a game changer for future applications

willpilbeam

Sorry to hear that, I'm in same situation, had rejection for the recent Yorkshire grade 2 roles. Make sure you get feedback because this can be a game changer for future applications
Not sure i want to go through it all again The 8 week wait to hear wasn't good. See if anything comes from the reserve list, but i won't hold my breathe. Good Luck mate

UVB76

Not sure i want to go through it all again The 8 week wait to hear wasn't good. See if anything comes from the reserve list, but i won't hold my breathe. Good Luck mate
I know how you feel about not wanting to go through it again. It's soul destroying when you get the rejection. Especially when you put absolutely everything into it and feel you gave your absolute best. But one thing this forum has shown is that people who keep trying do eventually make it, all depends if you can keep putting yourself through the process. Not sure I can! Good luck and all the best

Quintus

Absolutely. If you really genuinely want it, you shouldn't give up. It was third time lucky for me - and took almost a whole year - but I knew, even before finding out the result, that I conducted each interview better than the last. You will get better at it if you persevere. Good luck to you.

Gaz3028

I'm on #3 but had good feedback so still going.

Attachments

• i-didnt-hear-no-bell-randy-marsh.gif
    i-didnt-hear-no-bell-randy-marsh.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

mac

Will the 60hr week be actively enforced or more a recommendation?
According to the NRP that someone put on here the average is 47 per week and 60 is just a maximum if necessary so if you work 60 you'll need time off to reduce your average
The sooner they start with it the better

Benjiw17

I'm due to start on June 12th, I'm aware that it's 4 weekly pay, would anyone be able to tell me when I'm to expect my first pay packet? Just trying to work finances etc out, thanks in advance!

I'm due to start on June 12th, I'm aware that it's 4 weekly pay, would anyone be able to tell me when I'm to expect my first pay packet? Just trying to work finances etc out, thanks in advance!
The 21st June payday will be your first - for work upto/including 17th June, so you’ll only get 1 weeks pay.
Make sure you’re on it with all your paperwork in the first week so HR can get things done and you don’t end up missing the pay run!

Benjiw17

The 21st June payday will be your first - for work upto/including 17th June, so you’ll only get 1 weeks pay.
Make sure you’re on it with all your paperwork in the first week so HR can get things done and you don’t end up missing the pay run!
Perfect, thank you! :)