• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

C13

there’s one in Salford mate next to the train station (Salford Crescent) and there’s one in Preston (at the station)

Grade 2 salary is around £32k. This is paid every 4 weeks (next pay day is Friday 13th Oct, then every 4 weeks after that. This is the very basic that you’ll earn. Once you’ve passed out of your box then there’s loads of enhancements, but while training it’s a flat rate of around £32k

With regards to your interview, have a read up on this thread. There’s loads of info. I would say the key things are safety (safety vision, life saving rules) what train operators are running, why you want to be a signaller, what draws you to the position ect. Are you happy working shifts (this is massive, working 12 hour days, sometimes 70 hours per week, depending on if you like to smash the overtime, this can be a mix of day and nights)

The interview is around 40 mins or so, but try to ask them a few questions after, nothing OTT, just a few basic ones to get across that you’re keen.

Good luck
Thank you so much for your response. Interview is tomorrow. Fingers crossed some of you will be my new colleagues Good luck to everyone going through the process

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PF19

I haven't the foggiest! So far just got the start date and placed an order for uniform. I'm due to be based in the Harrogate area so am expecting York but it could be anywhere - York, Salford, Basingstoke! I'm looking forward to it wherever it is. Have you had Salford confirmed?
Ah fair enough, I just know a school starts then at Salford

No, I've recently finished IST, I loved every moment of it!

franno96

Colchester has a PSB at the North Station, where the main link is Grade 8. They cover the main line from Chitts Hill, just South of Colchester to Norwich, the Clacton/Walton on the Naze Branch, and the Felixstowe Branch.

The NYL workstations, which cover Brundall/Lowestoft/Great Yarmouth are also located there, and they are a Grade 4.

Other than that there is Parkeston Signal Box, which is a Grade 4 and Stowmarket Gate Box, which I am unsure of the Grade.

Bury Yard is a little bit further along heading towards Cambridge but that is due to be abolished very soon as part of the Cambridge resignalling project.

Other than these boxes there are no others in the area. Shift patterns are majority 12 hours, but there a few exceptions which still work an 8 hour roster. Hope this helps.
Stowmarket is a Gate Box and is a Grade 2, there is also Saxmundham Grade 6, Bury is time limited with resignalling underway
As you say Colchester ASC is Grade 8 Main Link, and the NYL (Norwich, Yarmouth, Lowestoft) Grade 4 Axle Counter.
NYL is a good route into the Main link at Colchester.

Thankyou!

Coming from the emergency services, so just trying to figure out where, when and how much pay would be, puts my mind at rest taking a big pay cut at the beginning, knowing that it'll work it's way up again.

Have passed the online assessments, so now just waiting for an interview... Hopefully!

Seems like a good move, haven't been this excited about a job application in a long time!

ChuckNorris

Congrats. Welcome to the grade!

Do you mean Canterbury West (G3)? If so, it’s a lovely historic structure. The CWACC (Canterbury Wye Area Control Centre) is a much less memorable building but is located nearby, albeit at ground level.

Canterbury East box closed in the early 2010s, with control passing to the Faversham workstation at EKSC (Gillingham).
Canterbury area my contract says so I could be anywhere I imagine

JDO1993

Is anyone here booked to start with NR 23/10/23 and IST 06/1/23? 2 weeks until my start date and I’ve not heard a thing about where I should be going or anything!
I’ve been given the same date of 23/10/23 start date but wasn’t given any IST training date. Still waiting for an email for more information.

bhabloke

The last hurdle has now been jumped. Completed my medical, which was very thorough! I was provided with the result from the urine test there and then. If there was any concern, they will send it to the lab for a secondary test. I was told that this was unnessessary. I have been declared to be in good health. So I am wondering what is expected next? Will this involve a formal offer and start date? How long I wonder will this take? I wanted to give my employer as much notice as possible. Are there any of you wonderful people out there able to enlighten me?

JDO1993

The last hurdle has now been jumped. Completed my medical, which was very thorough! I was provided with the result from the urine test there and then. If there was any concern, they will send it to the lab for a secondary test. I was told that this was unnessessary. I have been declared to be in good health. So I am wondering what is expected next? Will this involve a formal offer and start date? How long I wonder will this take? I wanted to give my employer as much notice as possible. Are there any of you wonderful people out there able to enlighten me?
I completed my medical 4th of September with no complications and all clear. Was given a start date of 23/10/23 but didn’t get that till around 4th October.

bhabloke

I completed my medical 4th of September with no complications and all clear. Was given a start date of 23/10/23 but didn’t get that till around 4th October.
Thats hardly any notice at all! I need a minimum of 28 days! Blimey that doesnt give me much confidence. Appreciate the reply though.

Dyl44

Well done, nearly there now. What els was done in the medical? How did you find the hearing test? Where did you have to go

Last edited:

chrislfc

Just had a phone call from Optima, my medical is next Tuesday! I’d read all the horror stories about the process being painfully slow, so just to balance things for anyone else looking to join NR:

29/8: Applied
31/8: Invite to Psychometric testing
6/9: Invite to interview
27/9: Interview
29/9: Offer
3/10: Onboarding complete pending DBS/Medical
17/10: Medical
15/1/24: Provisional start date.

It’s all been very slick and very well organised so far, not sure if that’s largely dependent on the hiring manager, but my experience to date has been pain free!

bhabloke

Well done, nearly there now. What els was done in the medical? How did you find the hearing test? Where did you have to go
The medical was fine and very professional. I have had my ears tested for many years and this was in a booth, which I am very used to. If it's someones first time, it would be an unusual experience. You can even hear your own heartbeat! I was graded a 1 out of 4 which means my hearing is excellent. My eyes are not so good, but still passed the test.

Just had a phone call from Optima, my medical is next Tuesday! I’d read all the horror stories about the process being painfully slow, so just to balance things for anyone else looking to join NR:

29/8: Applied
31/8: Invite to Psychometric testing
6/9: Invite to interview
27/9: Interview
29/9: Offer
3/10: Onboarding complete pending DBS/Medical
17/10: Medical
15/1/24: Provisional start date.

It’s all been very slick and very well organised so far, not sure if that’s largely dependent on the hiring manager, but my experience to date has been pain free!
That's really interesting. That's a much faster timeline than me. I applied in May. Start date (not confirmed) 8th January. I am curious about your medical though. I was led to believe the Optima contract ran out on in the middle of October so I wonder if you have one of the very last medicals with that company? Where have you got yours? Mine was York which was a round trip of 440 miles! It was a long day LOL

Last edited:

chrislfc

That's really interesting. That's a much faster timeline than me. I applied in May. Start date (not confirmed) 8th January. I am curious about your medical though. I was led to believe the Optima contract ran out on in the middle of October so I wonder if you have one of the very last medicals with that company? Where have you got yours? Mine was York which was a rounf trip of 440 miles! It was a long day LOL
Yeah I’m surprised as HR had told me it was all coming in house in November and not to worry if my start date was around the corner and I still hadn’t had the medical.

I’ve got Liverpool, which is a 30 minute drive. Pleasantly surprised with how it’s all gone so far!

Dyl44

The medical was fine and very professional. I have had my ears tested for many years and this was in a booth, which I am very used to. If it's someones first time, it would be an unusual experience. You can even hear your own heartbeat! I was graded a 1 out of 4 which means my hearing is excellent. My eyes are not so good, but still passed the test.

That's really interesting. That's a much faster timeline than me. I applied in May. Start date (not confirmed) 8th January. I am curious about your medical though. I was led to believe the Optima contract ran out on in the middle of October so I wonder if you have one of the very last medicals with that company? Where have you got yours? Mine was York which was a round trip of 440 miles! It was a long day LOL
Thank you, my eye sight is very good but my hearing isn’t excellent think I was a level 3 last time I had a test, do you think that would still be ok?

bhabloke

Thank you, my eye sight is very good but my hearing isn’t excellent think I was a level 3 last time I had a test, do you think that would still be ok?
I really don't know. However they allow hearing aids so if its that bad, there will be always be that option. Hopefully that won't be necessary.

Jordan4321

I’ve got my medical booked for next Monday , after that should I wait until I receive an email with a formal offer to hand in my notice or is it safe to do so if they say I’ve passed the medical

lambo79

I had my medical on 1st September with a follow-up letter on 4th from NR confirming all pre-employment checks were complete and start date of 30th Oct.

Well done on passing the medical. Hope you get your confirmation soon as its not long until your start date!

Did you find the place ok in the end?

bhabloke

I had my medical on 1st September with a follow-up letter on 4th from NR confirming all pre-employment checks were complete and start date of 30th Oct.

Well done on passing the medical. Hope you get your confirmation soon as its not long until your start date!

Did you find the place ok in the end?
Hi Lambo, Yes I did find it without too much grief! Thanks for you help. That is a much more reasonable time frame. Lets hope I get mine through soon!

I’ve got my medical booked for next Monday , after that should I wait until I receive an email with a formal offer to hand in my notice or is it safe to do so if they say I’ve passed the medical
Thats a risk and one that I am not willing to take, albeit very tempting! I will be waiting on an email...........

chalk_passion

Thats hardly any notice at all! I need a minimum of 28 days! Blimey that doesnt give me much confidence. Appreciate the reply though.
If it makes you feel any better, I had 3 months as my notice period in my old job which I am still plodding my way through. Told them I could start at the end of November and all fine. I interviewed originally in May!

ajs101

Is there anyone else waiting for the outcome of their interview for grade 2 in the South East? Today is week 4 since I had my interview and still no news unfortunately. I have read a lot about how slow they can be but even so this does seem a tad extreme.

Last edited:

Rambler2978

I haven't the foggiest! So far just got the start date and placed an order for uniform. I'm due to be based in the Harrogate area so am expecting York but it could be anywhere - York, Salford, Basingstoke! I'm looking forward to it wherever it is. Have you had Salford confirmed?
I’ve been given the same date of 23/10/23 start date but wasn’t given any IST training date. Still waiting for an email for more information.
I am just a browser not an applicant. I see that IST gets mentioned many times - what does it mean? Guess Initial Signalling Test???

ChuckNorris

Is there anyone else waiting for the outcome of their interview for grade 2 in the South East? Today is week 4 since I had my interview and still no news unfortunately. I have read a lot about how slow they can be but even so this does seem a tad extreme.

I had my interview on the 24/08 and only found out yesterday that I was successful and offered the job. It took 7 weeks to hear a reply back mate.

bhabloke

Gosh had a phone call this afternoon from recruitment. They want me to start on 13th November! It will be Monday - Friday until my IST starts in January. I have said yes as I have just enough time to get my 28 days notice in. :D

The Puddock

I am just a browser not an applicant. I see that IST gets mentioned many times - what does it mean? Guess Initial Signalling Test???
IST stands for Initial Signaller Training, which is also commonly referred to as ‘signalling school’ or just ’the school’. It is an intensive 10 week residential training course which anyone - not just signallers - must sit and pass before being allowed to operate signalling equipment and/or manage the competence of signallers.

GMTUK

Gosh had a phone call this afternoon from recruitment. They want me to start on 13th November! It will be Monday - Friday until my IST starts in January. I have said yes as I have just enough time to get my 28 days notice in. :D
Well done. Did they say what you’re gonna be doing for the 10 weeks beforehand? I’ve a provisional start of the 15th of Jan next year so assuming IST will be 29/01?

Medical and all other bits done just waiting for the formal offer paperwork now ✍️

BG1983

Well done. Did they say what you’re gonna be doing for the 10 weeks beforehand? I’ve a provisional start of the 15th of Jan next year so assuming IST will be 29/01?

Medical and all other bits done just waiting for the formal offer paperwork now ✍️
Where are you going to IST I am also scheduled to be starting that day..

bhabloke

Hi there. I was informed that it would be local induction and generally just getting exposure to the railway and would be Monday - Friday. I think my IST starts on 22nd January but I havent been informed of the location.