• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Paul6549

Northern do the Group Boredom test. The Boredom test is an Industrial requirement for all TOCs when taking on Mainline & Depot Drivers. The SCAAT Test can be added as an optional extra. As far as I know Northern do not do the SCAAT Test for Drivers. Northern Guards have to do the SCAAT test it is their version of the concentration test while Drivers get the Boredom test instead. In the extremely unlikely event that you did get the SCAAT Test for a Drivers role and failed it, it should not count as one of your two possible failures, as it is not a core test.

Thanks for all the information you two put on here, huge help. Maybe I'll give some advice back when I make it through. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aubrey4444

hi everyone got through all the assessments! and passed. And now have a structured and criteria based interview with SWT on the 5 december is anybody else been through this recently that can give me a bit of insight and help, I have read loads of threads but just wondering if someone has gone through the SWT process

Thanks inadvance.

badu

Hi fella

Congrats on passing the assessments and good luck with the Interviews. I am due to attend a Structured/Managers interview with Swt once they start recruiting again. Do you know where they do the Structured interview?? Is it Opc?

I've already passed the other assessments with them back in May.

Dave.

Paul6549

Hi all

I had my assessment day at Doncaster yesterday (DB Schenker). Just wanted to share a couple of tips that helped me prepare:

As others mentioned, the Barron's guide "How to Prepare for the Mechanical Aptitude and Spatial Relations Tests' (by Joel, Dr. Wieseis) great for explaining the basics. I did not buy the book, as some of it is available via Google online books (when I was revising I could only access the Gears & Pulleys sections, however now it seems much more is available online... all I know is that the Gears & Pulleys sections were great!). Obviously, good 'cos it's freeeeee! Online Barron's Google books link

The other site which helped me was http://www.technologystudent.com/. The graphics are outdated (but they do the job) and obviously the site is heavily tailored towards teachers / school / school projects, so a lot of sifting has to be done, but it is clear, easy to understand and, most importantly, free :) Just covers the basics at approx GCSE Physics level.

Important note: whilst I recommend the above resources and they do help with general principle understanding, the mechanical test on the day hardly involved any calculations: it was largely about visualising what a mechanical set up would do given a particular input. For example, a 'crane with weight' question wouldn't give you any value for the weight, it would just depict two cranes with the weights at different lengths from the vertical stand. The test was very different to what I expected and I found it hard, though I did pass.

The only other thing I would say is to reiterate the importance of practising the Group Bourdon test, using the online tool others have linked to. First time I did it I was TERRIBLE, but after 4 practice runs or so I was consistently completing with new errors. A little practice will go a long way - for me it would have been game over if not for the practice.

Group Bourdon Tip: change the density from the default to one setting higher - I did this anyway just to make it tougher, but as it turns out the sheets used on the day have quite dense / small dot groupings so it was good prep.

Hope these help :)

Hi,

I was just wondering if you could help me. Quick one. Did you do the SCAAT test for your trainee driver assessment? I may have an assessment in Doncaster soon. I know the GB test is compulsory.

Thank you so much for your feedback, very much appreciated. Ps did you get employed?

Jimmy McNulty

What I wonder is how many people are applying to be a Train Driver for the right reasons and of the numerous people visiting the forum who is suitable.

I hazard a guess that a lot of applications that go in at the moment are people thinking 'I am going to get £40 grand a year to drive a train.' Money shouldn't be the motivator as to why you take a job, particularly one as Career defining as this.

I also look down the list of threads on the Railway Jobs & Careers part of the forum and notice there are at least six threads on Northern Trainee Drivers and Four on Greater Anglia. Some of which have the same thread name and nearly all asking for info that can be sought via the search option. Surely if you don't have the gumption to access the search option or post in an already existing thread you may not have the gumption to work in a very responsible position were asking someone for help is out the equation?

Aubrey4444

Hi fella

Congrats on passing the assessments and good luck with the Interviews. I am due to attend a Structured/Managers interview with Swt once they start recruiting again. Do you know where they do the Structured interview?? Is it Opc?

I've already passed the other assessments with them back in May.

Dave.

Hi it use to be basingstoke now its at HR in southampton, Just completed the 2 interviews and i think they went well i have to wait 10 days for a reply.

Lasted about 3-4 hours, i have now done all assessments and interviews so if i get the green light on the interviews its medical next then my referees and im in, fingers crossed.

NI 271

What I wonder is how many people are applying to be a Train Driver for the right reasons and of the numerous people visiting the forum who is suitable.

I hazard a guess that a lot of applications that go in at the moment are people thinking 'I am going to get £40 grand a year to drive a train.' Money shouldn't be the motivator as to why you take a job, particularly one as Career defining as this.

I also look down the list of threads on the Railway Jobs & Careers part of the forum and notice there are at least six threads on Northern Trainee Drivers and Four on Greater Anglia. Some of which have the same thread name and nearly all asking for info that can be sought via the search option. Surely if you don't have the gumption to access the search option or post in an already existing thread you may not have the gumption to work in a very responsible position were asking someone for help is out the equation?

I'd agree with a lot of this, but I'd suggest that most people who are looking/asking on here have already done more research than 99% of others, who haven't. Admittedly, I'm one who did read this thread in its entirety (and many others) on here before I even registered/posted, but it is not impossible that many others aren't familiar with online forums so wouldn't think of that as a first port of call.

That said, some do appear to be looking to have their arses wiped for them...

elboobio

I think I already know the answer here, as there is an interview at the end of the assessment centre so it should be a given. Is it better to wear a suit to the assessment day? My view has always been suit for any job related interview, but have also attended previous assessment days where it wasn't necessary. There isn't anything in the information they send out so I'd presume it's your call, meaning dress to impress..............any ideas?

notadriver

Established Member
Would you wear a suit to attend an interview for a job such as shelf stacker in Tescos which barely pays the minimum wage? Of course you would.

TheVicLine

I think I already know the answer here, as there is an interview at the end of the assessment centre so it should be a given. Is it better to wear a suit to the assessment day? My view has always been suit for any job related interview, but have also attended previous assessment days where it wasn't necessary. There isn't anything in the information they send out so I'd presume it's your call, meaning dress to impress..............any ideas?

Everyone was wearing a suit and tie to my assessment day, except me and I felt out of place (I had shirt and trousers on), still it was me who got the job so make of that what you will.
I would say do though. You will be wearing a uniform, tie etc. for the position you are applying for so it shows that you understand the importance of looking smart and presentable to the public if you are suited and booted.

earl

Hi VicLine,

Thanks for putting those up, really appreciate it. Just wondering if you know if they do scaat or gb at leeds (northern rail drivers). I like know which one to practice. It would be helpful to know whether its paper or not too.

Many thanks

Paul
Hi I have an assessment in the new year, I downloaded the zip for the GB tool from this thread to practice with but can not get it to mark the sheet properly, does anyone have any ideas please? So far I have tried moving the cursor with the arrows key and using the space bar, the del key, the x key and the enter key all of which fail to mark the sheet.
I would appreciate any help or advice.
Thank you

NI 271

Hi I have an assessment in the new year, I downloaded the zip for the GB tool from this thread to practice with but can not get it to mark the sheet properly, does anyone have any ideas please? So far I have tried moving the cursor with the arrows key and using the space bar, the del key, the x key and the enter key all of which fail to mark the sheet.
I would appreciate any help or advice.
Thank you

Arrow keys, up arrow to mark/unmark the sheet. Just bear in mind you can only move back (left) one space...

bob hope

Basic answer is YES, you can pass the assessments as many times as you want, if you FAIL twice then its end of story.
Just after some clarification on this if anyone is able to comment via thier own experience...

Do you have to wait 6 months between tests even if you have sucessfully passed them?

I know you MUST wait 6 months if you fail - but confused on what applies if you pass.

Some TOCs apparently wont accept assessment passes with other TOCs - is this common practise?

elboobio

So had the assessment day yesterday, passed all the assessments with some very high scores apparently, although they can't give you the actual results. Just waiting now for an email to tell me if I've passed the interview or not.

I thought as a good will gesture to everyone who commented to help me I would write out my experience of the day, note though I won't be telling you what the actual tests are as if you do your research and practice enough and are the right type of person you should pass.

So arrived nice and early at the venue, so had time to sit back and try relax for a short while before the assessors arrived. I noticed several other people arriving asking for the same thing all looking nervous and a bit sheepish. There were 7 of us in total (meant to be 8 but someone didn't turn up) and I was the youngest at 25, ages varied from 30's to 50's.

We were all called in to a room and sat in pairs on desks, there were 2 assessors, both of mine were female and both very nice and welcoming. Only one assessor stays in the room while the other goes away and does all the admin. The assessor went though all the housekeeping and introduction first and basically spoke for around 10 minutes so we were all a little more relaxed. We were informed that initially we would be in the room for around an hour and 45 minutes for the first 2 tests, which were the group bourdon first, then mechanical comprehension. Then after a quick toilet break, we would be back in for both parts of the trainability, rules and procedures test, which would last about an hour. After completing these tests we would complete an interview prep question sheet for 25 minutes and then we would be given time slots for our reactions tests (they only had 2 computers at the venue I was at). Finally we were told that we would only sit the interview if we were successful at all stages of the assessments.

So briefing done, tests to begin. Group Bourdon, this is the dots test and that's all the info I'm giving. It's more off putting than practising on your own as there is someone next to you and others around you all marking at the same time. Pace yourself to YOUR pace. I was aware the guy next to me was going quicker than me, but he failed that test so take from that what you will. I don't think I got one wrong or missed any, but like I said you don't get the actual results. I never finished an individual sheet, not anywhere near.

That test done, everyone's eyes had to refocus on looking at other things than sheets of dots, straight on to the mechanical comprehension. All of us thought we had failed this, which must just be a common assumption, because in fact none of us actually failed this part of the assessment, my advice for this, don't waste time revising equations, they're not in there. That said they might be at other test centres but not this one. Also, work as quickly as you can, try complete all the questions, and if you have time go back and check them after. I managed to check about half the questions before the time ran out, but I was aware I was going quicker than everyone else on the old page turning. I got a very high score on this apparently, but it is all about logical thinking. Think about how hinges and levers work, what are the strongest shapes, how gears and pulleys turn etc. If you're a logical thinker like me, you should be fine.

We all opted to skip the break and just get cracked on, so next the TRP. First part is a blurb of text on something you'll have no idea about unless you work on the railways already and a tape which is played which reads the blurb aloud. You have a set time to remember as much information as possible. This depends entirely on how your memory works best, you can make notes but they're taken off of you after so I didn't bother. This weighs on how good your memory is so just read it as many times as you can, and try to remember the key stuff, colours, numbers, signals etc. Once that's done, the second part is a fault finding exercise. Even if I wanted to I couldn't explain this without pictures, my advice, go as quickly as you can, no penalties for wrong answers, and no one finished the questions in the time, so get as many right in the time as you can.

Quick impromptu toilet break and back in for the interview questions sheet, I can't help here, as it's your experiences, but don't make something up as they'll catch you out later.

Finally, the reactions test, we were given our times, I was first. There's no point in me explaining what you have in front of you, but don't rush, especially on the second part as you set your own pace, the first part the computer sets the pace and you have to keep up, you will get a couple wrong, just don't panic, miss it and wait for the next one, don't just mash random buttons, you will fail, this caught 3 people out and they failed.

So out of the 7 only 3 of us got interviews, (by the way waiting for your results is the most gut wrenching moment, the relief of passing was amazing, but I saw the faces of the guys who failed, you don't want to fail). The interviews last an hour and again you get a time slot so you might have a bit of a wait. I was in second so got an hour for some lunch. The interview is based around the answers you gave earlier, so make sure you know what you've written. They're quite demanding of the information they want, so make sure you answer what they're asking for, or they'll just repeat themselves and keep stopping you. I don't know the outcome yet, so I don't want to give out too much advice in case it's utter rubbish.

Finished!

Squeaky bum time for 7-10 days. In summary, practice and research as much as you can, this message is just the start for many of you, I had been preparing for this for about 6 months and hopefully it will be worth the effort.

Coldstream

I did the assessment day with El yesterday and was the first one to fail (or not pass high enough) on the reactions test. You probably saw my face on the way out... Well chuffed for the lads who passed, its a fair test, same rules for everyone. I do get another chance, if I make it to the assessment again I will do it. I scored highly on everything except the reactions and on that only failed to meet Northern standards in the first part, thats how close it is. I dont know how most people go about this but I hadn't told ANYONE that I was applying for the job due to the high failure rate, the lad who did the test with me said the same. I had revised/practiced like mad on everything but I hadnt been able to download the practice materials (zip) for the reactions test on my PC. Went to see my mate (IT wiz) last night for a man to man and we managed to open it from this site. There will now be a pic of that keyboard on my bedroom mirror & practice sessions aplenty.

Joe20365

Hey, I sat the assessment with you guys yesterday. I don't need to add anything other than, I can't believe you thought I was in my '30's' :(

Well, technically, you are correct, but only just.

;)

Let me know what you hear back, I'm already checking my emails!!

Snarledup

Hey Joe, Well done on passing the assessments.
What location have you applied to join? Do you happen to know the locations of the other candidates who passed?
Cheers

elboobio

Sorry for presuming ages, I only guessed I was the youngest as I heard someone refer to me as the young lad ;)

Gutted for you guys who didn't quite make it, but I'm sure second attempt you'll all nail it! It could of gone either way for any of us, I count myself as being lucky as well as the practice a bit like your driving test, depends what happens on the day.

I applied for Manchester, but I suppose it's their call where you're based. Where did everyone else apply for?

This is going to be the longest wait for an email, they know how to build suspense.

I will update you all on here when I know more :)

Joe20365

I am applying for Leeds, and I think the other lad was Liverpool.

Yeah, I can't stop checking my emails in hope that they might surprise me. After my managers interview I got a response the next day. So I'm hoping these 7-10 days might become a bit shorter. With Christmas coming up after next weekend, I would have thought they'd have it sorted by next friday. Hopefully anyway :D

elboobio

My managers interview email response took 11 days, but I hope that they are quicker with this. My emails will be open constantly until the news arrives.

I know they want the training to start mid January, so for time for medical and people to hand in notices they would have to be quick to meet that deadline.

Joe20365

I was wondering what they actually base their decision on. Do they look at assessments scores and results of both interviews, or is the fact that we got to the last stage a 'pass' then does it all come down to that final interview?

I can't help but wonder how many people get right down to that final interview then miss out?

Would be a real shame to pass an interview with northern, pass all their tests, then miss out because of an interview with an outside source.

elboobio

I know from reading some posts and websites that you can fail this interview, suppose there would be no point in doing it if you couldn't, was it the assessment centre guys who marked the interviews? Failing at any stage must be awful, but failing at this stage must be a kick in the nuts.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So as above I attended the psychometric assessments and passed on Friday last week, was waiting to hear news about my interview and received this email

Dear Lee

Thank you for attending your recent Driver Psychometric Assessment.

We are pleased to inform you that you have met the criteria at this stage.

We will be in touch wagain with an update within the next three weeks.

Please note this email does not constitute an offer of employment.

Kind regards

The Recruitment Team

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN????? Why are train companies so cryptic.........

Joe20365

I too would like an answer to the above.

Are we simply waiting for our start date? Or is there further selections to be made?

Manctrain

Unfortunately I don't think it's simply a case of waiting on an offer. Lets says 25 people were interviewed for 3 jobs, 12 were put through to assessment and 6 meet the standard. The top 3 get the jobs and the other 3 get placed in the dreaded talent pool. Northern told me that the scores of both the interview and the assessment were taken into account when determining people's rankings.

elboobio

Christ on a bike, so we still might not have jobs yet? This is the most torturous recruitment process I've ever been through. The three of us who were interviewed at the assessment centre had all applied to different locations, but I suppose others could have applied for the same posts as us and gone to different assessment centres.

lvaxb24

Christ on a bike, so we still might not have jobs yet? This is the most torturous recruitment process I've ever been through. The three of us who were interviewed at the assessment centre had all applied to different locations, but I suppose others could have applied for the same posts as us and gone to different assessment centres.

Unfortunately mate if you've only had 1 interview in the assessment centre you still have one more interview, a medical and reference checks to go before an offer is even thought of.

Joe20365

Unfortunately mate if you've only had 1 interview in the assessment centre you still have one more interview, a medical and reference checks to go before an offer is even thought of.

Now I'm no expert, but as we had our manager interview before the assessments then we have had all our interviews. Just the medical and references left.

455driver

Veteran Member
Basic answer is YES, you can pass the assessments as many times as you want, if you FAIL twice then its end of story.

Just after some clarification on this if anyone is able to comment via their own experience...

Do you have to wait 6 months between tests even if you have successfully passed them?

I know you MUST wait 6 months if you fail - but confused on what applies if you pass.

Some TOCs apparently wont accept assessment passes with other TOCs - is this common practise?
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

The pass will be logged on the central database so you should only have to complete any other tests the TOCs require (for example some require the mechanical test, some dont) and all you will need to do is inform the new TOC when you took the assessments and with who for them to check.

Some TOCs do not accept the private assessments but most will accept a pass up to between 2 and 5 years old from another TOC.

There is no need to wait and you can apply straight away with that pass under your belt.

lvaxb24

Now I'm no expert, but as we had our manager interview before the assessments then we have had all our interviews. Just the medical and references left.

Now I'm no expert, but having successfully navigated this process you'll see I started my comment with 'if you've only had 1 interview' and if you had only had 1 interview there would be another to come. Sorry for trying to help mate ;)