• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

LCC106

Established Member
Fantastic news Joe20365 and useful information about your experience. Well done and enjoy! (Oh and take some time to relax this weekend... you'll need it :lol: !)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kennydies

Hi, I have asked this but not found a satisfactory answer yet.

Where did you guys see the driver jobs advertised? Was it direct on the networks career site or was it offline?

Thanks Ross

LCC106

Established Member
I spent day after day looking on all the individual TOCs websites, I'm afraid. Due to the popularity of the roles the ads are often taken off within a few days. Worked for me though, finally a fully fledged driver :)

Joe20365

I saw mine by complete chance on Jobsite.co.uk, hidden in amongst a load of terrible sales and marketing jobs disguised as genuine careers!

evoluzione

Thanks guys. Yeah it was for Northern.

Congrats, I was exactly the same as you in I was a successful first time applicant, saw job advertised in October applied, interview, assessments, a little waiting then stared training in Jan with Northern.

I'm 5 weeks in and it's only going to get harder from here but really loving it:D

Where are you going to be based?

Beveridges

Established Member
I'm 5 weeks in and it's only going to get harder from here but really loving it

Speaking from an MDD point of view (courses differ slightly but my point will still apply) the real hard part hits when you start doing the practical training with the minder. Having to take in so much info, while knackered & working bad shift times at the same time, is so much harder and headache-prone than the 0900-1600 classroom work where you're learning while well rested. Then theres the fact that you've got to retain all traction and rules knowledge - *much* of it that you won't use or revisit during those months - for the final assessment at the end.

toot toot

Well done mate i was the same when i applied iv just handed my portfolio in to hr so waiting on my license now. I think beveridges is painting a bit of a black picture there you will get enough of that at the school. I have enjoyed my training from star to finish yes it can be stressfull at times but nothing a little hard work wont sort out which you will be used having got to this stage. Once again well done brother and welcome to the railway.

Noah1606

Hi all,

My first post... got my concentration and trainability parts 1 and 2 for FGW coming up soon, been doin the practice stuff n think i'm doing ok, just a couple of questions...presuming I go all the way, (big presumption I know)What BMI should I be aiming at to pass the medical, and where is the FGW training centre situated, many thanks.

ST

Hello all, I have placed the query below on a different thread, but felt this thread may be more appropriate to get a response. I am looking to practice the tests above, however, I have a a Apple Mac laptop and cannot access the tests, is anyone aware of any tests that are Mac friendly?

Many thanks in advance.

TDK

Established Member
Hi all,

My first post... got my concentration and trainability parts 1 and 2 for FGW coming up soon, been doin the practice stuff n think i'm doing ok, just a couple of questions...presuming I go all the way, (big presumption I know)What BMI should I be aiming at to pass the medical, and where is the FGW training centre situated, many thanks.

I have answered this numerous times on this forum, generally it is 33 or below for cab ergonomics.

387star

On Moderation
Hi forgotten where I saw the post about having been on a training course for more than two weeks... forgive me if this was a different thread I read it early in this morning

Anyway I was wondering if attending st johns ambulance sessions or playing the piano and passing exams counts as a training course (in the loose sense) It is over 2 weeks and demonstrates ongoing learning...

I they looking for a set start and finish? surely the point of the question is assessing your ability to take on new information/skills? Could it be argued the above are courses? noone wants to say uni as that must be so uninspired

When I worked at Holland and Barrett I was working my way through various product knowledge packs as well
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I had a horrible dream last night where my geography teacher from high school (a rather intimidating man) was telling me 'you will never be a train driver' ahhh awful dream won't go in to details!!

A-driver

Established Member
There is no exact criteria really-they want to draw as many parallels as possible so learning to drive a car, piano lessons, at johns ambulance should be ok-I used my 3 yr degree course at Uni and that was perfectly acceptable so I don't see why piano lessons wouldn't be.

They want to find out how you learnt and retained info, how you worked out of 'lesson time', how you managed the rest of your life around learning something new etc.

STEVE81

Hi to all,
New to this forum having just recently set my goal on becoming a train driver (chances slim i know but willing to give it a shot.
Have read through a lot of the threads (having just completed the 34 page one on becoming a train driver). Lots of very useful information and have picked up upon a lot of great advice.
Hope someone can help me with a query. How often do trainee train driver jobs come up? I know theres no definitive answer to the question but being based in Sheffield (have family in manchester as well so moving there wouldnt be off limits) and having read a fair number of threads i realise that i have just missed out in applying for positions in leeds and manchester, would it be right to assume that opportunities at those two arent likely to arise in say, the next 10 to 12 months? Will be checking for jobs 2 to 3 times a week anyway just looking for a rough estimate.
Also, being located where i am how many other depots are viable to me (given the 60 minute rule)?
Like i said excellent forum and any help will be greatly appreciated! Cheers

TDK

Established Member
Hi to all,
New to this forum having just recently set my goal on becoming a train driver (chances slim i know but willing to give it a shot.
Have read through a lot of the threads (having just completed the 34 page one on becoming a train driver). Lots of very useful information and have picked up upon a lot of great advice.
Hope someone can help me with a query. How often do trainee train driver jobs come up? I know theres no definitive answer to the question but being based in Sheffield (have family in manchester as well so moving there wouldnt be off limits) and having read a fair number of threads i realise that i have just missed out in applying for positions in leeds and manchester, would it be right to assume that opportunities at those two arent likely to arise in say, the next 10 to 12 months? Will be checking for jobs 2 to 3 times a week anyway just looking for a rough estimate.
Also, being located where i am how many other depots are viable to me (given the 60 minute rule)?
Like i said excellent forum and any help will be greatly appreciated! Cheers

This year and certainly next year all TOC's will need more drivers so just register with your local TOC's on their wesites and opt in for email alerts

shan5742

Hello all, I have placed the query below on a different thread, but felt this thread may be more appropriate to get a response. I am looking to practice the tests above, however, I have a a Apple Mac laptop and cannot access the tests, is anyone aware of any tests that are Mac friendly?

Many thanks in advance.

use Wine or some other virtual terminal?

Oh and thanks for sharing Joe, congrats!!

387star

On Moderation
Is it not possible for someone to lie themselves through the interview if they are very clever, good actors and have answers to explain themselves... especially when experiences don't have to be from work? sure this must happen//

A-driver

Established Member
Is it not possible for someone to lie themselves through the interview if they are very clever, good actors and have answers to explain themselves... especially when experiences don't have to be from work? sure this must happen//

People so try lying-I'm not sure how many are convincing enough to succeed but I suppose its like being cross examined in court or interviewed by the police! They ask very probing questions about the examples you give and if things start to unravel a bit they will jump on it and make it very obvious.

The examples they ask for are all vague enough that you should be able to think if something though. It dosnt have to be work related-the emergency situation dosnt have to be life or death like many people seem to think-perhaps you were organising a surprise birthday party for someone and the cake didn't arrive in time - could be seen and dealt with as an emergency!

387star

On Moderation
my house flooded last year and had to alert residents who were sleeping maybe that will count

A-driver

Established Member
my house flooded last year and had to alert residents who were sleeping maybe that will count

If you can answer detailed questions about how you acted, what went through your mind, what your process was, how you kept calm, what you would do differently next time etc then it should be fine.

TDK

Established Member

Interviewers are trained in interview techniques, body language and how to detect BS so probably not!

Beveridges

Established Member
I really exaggurated in my structured Interview with the assessor and passed.
Dont know if you'd class that is lying.

MR_P

noone wants to say uni as that must be so uninspired

Hmm not so sure,

I talked about doing 9 weeks residential course for a Prison officer and was quizzed quite a bit about doing that. I then mentioned I had done a degree in computer science as a mature student, the interviewer said 'That's good' and immediately moved on.

DRFT101

Hmm not so sure,

I talked about doing 9 weeks residential course for a Prison officer and was quizzed quite a bit about doing that. I then mentioned I had done a degree in computer science as a mature student, the interviewer said 'That's good' and immediately moved on.

I wish I had talked about my degree course - I tried to using a work related example, ie 4 week course I did some time ago. The questions I was being asked told me that I should have kept it simple.

387star

On Moderation
I really exaggurated in my structured Interview with the assessor and passed.
Dont know if you'd class that is lying.

well as long as you spelt right hehe
If you can answer detailed questions about how you acted, what went through your mind, what your process was, how you kept calm, what you would do differently next time etc then it should be fine.

what happens if it was a success... or is there always something you can do better

A-driver

Established Member
well as long as you spelt right hehe

what happens if it was a success... or is there always something you can do better

I said in my structured interview re the emergency situation that if faced with it again I would do exactly the same thing. If you are happy with what you did then that is no problem.